Past Car
Models no longer being sold by local distributors.
Model unavailable since Dec 2011
   Consumer Reviews of Nissan Latio Sedan

4.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
2.5/5 Interior Design
4/5 Engine Performance
22 out of 24 (91.7%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
Ren_Hao
52 forum posts Joined on 25-Nov-2009
First car I owned  Posted on 12 May 2010

Truth to be told, I bought this car only because it was within my budget and I was comparing between the Avante and Latio. In the end, the Latio won over solely because of the "Made in Japan" badge.
Till date, it has not disappointed me, but it has not thrilled me either.
It is still a decent "bread and butter" car, the extact what I was looking and paying for. So, no complain

Fuel consumption is decent
The foot break is nice as I had been driving cars with the tradition hand break
The boot is large enough, enough for me to put in a mountain bike less the wheels and sit-post comfortably. This is critical for me.
The car feels sufficient zippy at low speed and seems to be able to handle itself well at high speed

Lack of pick up at the low end, it does not well as feel to be accelerating that "well" when the engine is revving at anything less than 2.5k rpm.
The center arm rest could be better designed. Maybe I prefer the traditionl box in the centre design.
Lack of usable slots to hide all my small barang barang.

JingHng_1990
12 forum posts Joined on 31-Mar-2010
Great car for family of 4  Posted on 04 Apr 2010

Test drove this cars donkey years ago. First impression, at this look! It can't win it any beauty award. But interior was very freshen compared to sunny.

Most of them except looks

The looks what else!!!

Mikethm
134 forum posts Joined on 16-Apr-2009
Smooth, Quiet and Comfortable car  Posted on 19 Mar 2010

Bought my Nissan Latio Premium Sedan in November 2009. Now driven it for nearly 7000km as of March 2010.

So far I have no complaint about this car.

Drove it up to Genting in March... Fuel consumption on highway at average 120km/h to 140km/h with travel thru KL roads plus up Genting highland was around 14km/l. Hit max speed (on empty stretch of road ok?) of 190km/h on speedo aka 180km/h on GPS.

Went up Genting highland without having to switch to L gears with aircon running with no problem.

Pros:
- Adequate power for 1.5L car, easy overtaking when necessary.

- Smooth acceleration with no jerk thanks to CVT gear
- Engine is so silent that I forgot to switch off the engine or turn the start knob by mistake.

- Interior is spacious and comfortable. Driver seat is comfortable on long distance driving. The boot is big and the glove compartment is big enough to put a macbook inside with lotta room to spare.

- Air conditioning is powerful enough. 26 degrees is my standard temp.

- Decent Fuel consumption. 10Km/l for me at 10% highway and 90% street roads. I accelerate at high rpm without much concern for FC as it is too bothersome to be light foot and drive to avoid braking just to save a bit of petrol.

Cons:
-Suspension was initially too soft but ok now.
(Service Engineer say no adjustment can be done... but it returned after routine 5K servicing somehow firmer...)

Carmour
Premium User Carmour
472 forum posts Joined on 26-Apr-2004
Good overall, but poor handling.  Posted on 14 Feb 2010

Have been driving the Nissan Latio for a few weeks already. Overall, its a decent car with reasonable price. There are a few pros and cons of this car that I will touch on later.

Strange thing about this car is its fuel gauge. It goes down really quickly for the 1st half, but slowly for the 2nd half. From full tank, I clocked only 80km when the meter showed 1 quarter tank. Good thing that the rest of the tank lasted me for a total of 500km.

- Air-con is cold
- Engine has pretty good power for a 1.5L
- Steering is light at low speeds, and increases in weight at higher speed
- Nice big side mirrors means little blind spots
- Spacious! This car is really spacious!
- Smart key
- 4-speed auto (I tried CVT version, and its not as good though more expensive)
- alot of compartments

- Poor handling! That's my main complain! Car seems to be too high.
- Seat ergonomics is not very good. I can't seem to find a 100% comfortable position. Headrest is also at a very awkward height for me. I'm 1.8M for reference.
- Smart key makes me forget to lock the car. (personal problem)

Skylurker
78 forum posts Joined on 10-Nov-2009
You will never go wrong  Posted on 23 Dec 2009

Latio Sedan gives you the best comfort in terms of interior space. If you are always driving, the nissan latio will allow you to sit in there for the longest period of time and you won't want to get out of the ride. That's how good the latio is!

* Large interior space, my nephew can jump all around it!
* Cold Air Con (25 degree and still very cold)
* super good fuel consumption at 16km/h max. 13 on average.
* Large glove compartment good enough for you to store 2 cartons of cigarettes inside.
* Comfortable seats. Once you sit in you won't want to get out.
* steering gets harder on high speeds, easy to cruise even at over 120km/h.

* soft suspension, easily bua the curb if got people sitting behind.
* Loses power when going up slope.
* slower pickup as compared to the rest because of the heavy weight.
* People see latio die die want to overtake. Travel at 100km/h liao still die die want overtake. Think latio is seen as a slow car to many people. They still dunno latio is very stable and good at high speeds.

Kevin_Wong
0 forum posts Joined on 11-Nov-2009
Nissan's car are very Reliable indeed!  Posted on 11 Nov 2009

I been driving my Latio for 9 mths now since i bought it in Feb 09. So far no issues with the Car at all. Except that it was scratched by some idiots in my open space carpark. I drove a Nissan Sunny Ex (Older type) before that, i bought it at 2nd hand due to higher cost at that time. Drove for 6 yrs plus, no issues or break down before. Nissan's engine is really good and reliable! Thought of buying the other brands But.... test drive Mazda 3, Lancer, Kia Cerato & Vios. Mazda 3 suspension is good but no power and abit cramp inside. Lancer (Manual)driving is as good as Sunny but old model with old engine. Kia Cerato (Manual), keep changing wrong gear coz the gear is too short and poor quality. Vios is too cramp and small compare to the rest, plastic are really cheap and made in Thai!

LATIO
Keyless entry to start the car, no need to dig out key to start the car or to open the doors, just stay close the car and press a little button.
Alot of Leg space inside especially at the back, abt the same as Toyota Crown Taxi!
The aircon is damn cold
Good FC about 13.5/L
Big boot space
Interior very nice and good quality compare to Toyota or Kia with Cheap Toy Plastics (Can tell from the dashboard and side doors
Very quiet inside during driving, noise insulation is really good!
Athena is short and steady on top of the car
Car Drawer belongs to luxurious class, big and deep! can put lots of things!
Price is slightly expensive than vios by 2k but cheaper than Mazda by 3k plus.
Windscreen is big and clear!
Very tall ceiling compare to the silly Vios and Mazda

Under power when going up slope initially
The rear seat have alot of leg space just like Totoya Crown BUT its not wide enough to squeeze in 4 ppl unlike Toyota Corolla and Nissan Sunny (I'm talking about the width) 3 person just nice
Suspension not very good compare to Mazda 3 (tend to shake here and there during humps
Petrol tank not big enough compare to my old Sunny
No arm rest for basic model, i added some $ for the arm rest. The arm rest is good quality and comfortable to lay my arm on and can put alot of things.
15inch rims gets dirty easily

SGCMwind79
Premium User SGCMwind79
54 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Most Value for money 1.5L Sedan  Posted on 06 Nov 2009

Tried out the Latio Sedan Premium out at Ubi just a while ago. Tan Chong is currently having a $300,000 windfall lucky draw and also offering the car at promotional rates.

This promotional price puts the Latio Sedan into direct competition with cars such as Suzuki SX4, Toyota Vios, Hyundai Avante and Kia Cerato Forte. Given the selling current price, this makes the Latio an offer that simply cannot be ignored.

1) Leather Seats (very comfortable)
2) Sports Rim
3) Keyless Entry System
4) Plasma Cluster Air-Conditioning
5) Decent FC (Around 14km/l)
6) Excellent Legspace
7) Big Boot
8) 6 Built-In Speakers
9) High OMV!

1) Exterior design looks dated (DS-R bodykit is available directly with Tan Chong which does make the car looks nicer, but it comes with added cost)
2) Slow Pickup (Probably due to CVT)

Kiario
Premium User Kiario
1172 forum posts Joined on 27-Mar-2003
So far so good  Posted on 30 Oct 2009

Owned the car (CVT) for near to 3 years now, still very satisfied with it, the interior comfort is great, as for the exterior, with bodykit installed still not bad-looking.

1) Interior comfort
2) Keyless gadgets
3) Ion air-con means the car always smell nice (no need use car perfume)
4) Smooth transmission
5) Good FC

1) High CG means have to be careful when cornering (i have since added strut bars to minimise it)
2) Uncle-looking exterior (change of grill and adding of sunshade makes it look better)
3) Heavy stock rims
4) Low exhaust means have to be careful when reversing

Redsunns
Satisfied  Posted on 10 Oct 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Test drive Suzuki SX4 and then was forced by my friends to test drive Latio. (Which i hate because of its exterior look.) I know its interior is nice, but just hate the headlights and front look... although 2008 facelift do look better abit...

Test drive and found it easy to maneuver around. The friendly sales explaining on the car is great (compared to the Champions Motor sales, which is sux...).

After driving for a year, satisfied for the performance. No real problem. But do not like its acceleration on even slight upslope. It's low exhaust pipe is so annoying when reversing in those open carpark. Once have to get it readjusted by Tan Chong after the exhaust pipe was hit by the kerb while reversing (slow reversing somemore).

Roomspace is great but the rear seats are more suitable for 2 adults rather than 3. Rear legspace is definitely more than enough even front seats are adjusted to the end. Even Altis does not have this large legspace.

- FC
- Legspace
- Keyless
- Auto Climate Aircon
- Ioniser
- Nice looking interior
- Quiet engine (noisy only when they engine is cold.)
- Satisfactory servicing at Tan Chong

- LOW exhaust pipe
- LOW rear hook (almost the same height as the exhaust pipe)
- Ugly front look
- 15" rims with too many spokes
- No auto door locking after car move off
- No auto closing of the side mirrors after turning off/on the engine (gonna manualling press the open/close switch to activate the electronic side mirrors.)
- Hard to maintain Alcantra seats

Steelze
0 forum posts Joined on 05-Jun-2009
Been driving for 20 months, but the experience is still so refreshing.  Posted on 07 Jul 2009

This is my first car, and I am still glad with the decision. Bought it during Dec 2007, the basic model.

Haven been researching through forums, websites and magazines on various cars. Shortlisted Avante, Kia Cerato Forte, Altis, Vios, Jazz and Swift.

Decided to choose Latio after much consideration. Largely because of the reliability of Nissan engine and service.

Overall, it is a good buy. Value for money. =)

1. Relatively good FC of about 12km - 14km/L.

2. Conform of the leather seat design.

3. Spacious compared other similar models (e.g Altis).

4. Reliable engine. Yet to have engine stall, or break down till now.

1. A bit pricey compared to other similar models (e.g. Avante, Kia Cerato Forte).

2. Dull looking exterior.

3. Slightly under-powered engine. Can feel the drag when more than 4 person on board.

Ket2175
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Good car  Posted on 21 May 2009

This is a not bad car, but not for fussy driver. It has high head space, not like Vios. Every time go in will knock my head. Good for small family.

Keyless entry
Very big inside compare to Nissan Sunny
The aircon is cold
Good FC about 13.5/L
big boot space

Under power when going up slope. The rear sit is for 2 adult only, if 3 adult it will be quite clamp.

CarMadness
0 forum posts Joined on 16-Apr-2009
Expensive yet Excellent car, but I did not Regret Buying it!  Posted on 20 Mar 2009

The dashboard is very nice. The rim design has many spokes. It is very cool! Sadly, it is too expensive. If it is cheaper by a few thousand, it would be perfect!

Almost everything!
Boot space
Rim Design
Engine very refined
Quiet ambience at High speed

Too expensive and this car does not have a spoiler unless you modify the car.

Ryandi
Good family Car  Posted on 07 Mar 2009

I Have rented this car a few Days ago. Had been driving quite a number of cars till date. and i find that this car is good for cornering, not for like high speed, but for not too fast, not too slow kinda cornering, the body roll is way better That The Suzuki Swift.

Spacious leg space and head room.
Big boot space.
Aircon.
Climate control
Not bad FC, as compared to Nissan Sunny.

Overpriced.

Iamstreet15
Nissan make good cars.  Posted on 26 Feb 2009

My 2nd nissan car, the car ride is very comfortable interior spacious with good fuel consumption @ 13-14km per litre but i wish the exterior design is better. Good for family use sure make your spouse happy. This is what expected from a Nissan Comfort and reliability.

Spacious
Keyless Entry
Bootspace
FC

Jfirdaus
An Okay car for first timers  Posted on 06 Jan 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I'm a first time car owner, now driving it for almost a year mileage @ 22,000km. At first i feel that it is a good, spacious car, very practical for my young family also for trasporting my clients around. Its huge boot space have proven useful on many occasion. Also, kudos to the beautiful interior comparable to European Luxury cars.
However as my road using experience grows, the Latio Sedan has its setbacks. I feel that it is higly under-powered especially when it is fully loaded with 4 passengers. It takes alot of tym to accelerate, even with its 'sports' mode on. It'll wobble at the slightest road bumps, I even got a comment from a client ('thank god it's a 5 minutes drive, if it's 45minutes, I'd have been sea sick'). The well known not so good looking exterior is another con for this car. My grouse could have, of course, been the product of looking and trying out friends' cars.
Still, just an okay car.

Keyless entry
Spaciousness for both driver & passengers
Stylish interior