Road Test - Volvo S80 T5 (A)
23 Aug 2011  |  Volvo Reviews
Having reviewed all the variants of the S80, Volvo tempts its fan base and pleasures us with its new and more powerful T5. Just how does it compare to its siblings on the tarmac?
   Consumer Reviews of Volvo S80

4.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
4/5 Interior Design
4/5 Engine Performance
10 out of 12 (83.3%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( ) Next »
Kengohcp
3 forum posts Joined on 06-Dec-2009
Unbelievable good experience with luxurious Volvo S80 2012 1.6L  Posted on 02 Oct 2012

After a good two months research, and based on personal preference, I have decided to go for Volvo S80 2012.

The 2012 Volvo S80 is equipped with seriously responsive fast 1.6L turbocharged engine, I'm truly excited and it feels really great to drive, getting around the city and during on ECP/PIE expressway is so fun and enjoyable. It just make you happy.

As many reviewers consistently praise, the front seats in the S80 is one of the most comfortable in the automotive world, it's like taking your luxurious home sofa out with you.

The handling is fine but could be better, it has less sporty feels but give you the confidence to handle the road. Once on the road, the drive is smooth and pleasant. (Except that the break is stiff, cannot confirm until next schedule maintenance.)

Volvo's flagship sedan S80 exterior is fashionable with a taste of royal class.
Indeed I have taken time comparing the S60 and S80 model, BMW 5 series and Mercedes Benz S Class, it basically come down to your personally preference.
I like the spacious design, easy to access features, the big screen and material used.

City Safety obstacle-alert system standard on the 2012 S80, and camera-related active-safety features including full Auto Brake, adaptive Cruise Control. I have personally experienced an auto stop during a slow traffic, it's just so cool.

Price in Singapore for Volvo is negotiably less 5-10%, but I got a fairly good deal during their warehouse sales event.

My Volvo S80 2012 comes with the easy and complete entertainment system, DVD Video, seductive sound system, specially builded removable Garmin GPS system, iPod, iPhone, USB device ready. You will be amazed with the in-car bluetooth hand-free phone system. I have no more compliant.

1. The after-sale service, they truly provide a luxurious service.
2. The 1.6-litre turbocharged engine with 180Bhp / 5700 rpm, 6 gears power shift
3. Much spacious then the S60 and come with keyless entry
4. Complete entertainment system with hand free phone capability
5. Low COE, road tax and much better fuel consumption.

Volvo should have market their product better here in Asia.

Sileung
4 forum posts Joined on 16-Oct-2006
New interior refreshed S80 T4 with new center console  Posted on 29 Jun 2012

Impressed by the 1.6 turbo that carry this 1.6 tons car. The seat is still one of the best in the business, and in my personal opinion the seat is better than Audi or BMW. Unfortunately the T4 does not come with rain sensor and auto-light sensor, otherwise you can't even tell what engine size from the exterior. The car has very impressive 'traffic light' performance. Running on highway is very comfortable and extremely stable. Overally I like the comfort, engine performance, and expecially road tax.

Seat very comfortable, more than enough 1.6 turbo engine, stable and steady car. Very roomy interior.

No rain and light sensor on T4.

Mervynwm
Premium User Mervynwm
12 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
The S80 @ 1.6L.  Posted on 09 Apr 2011

Tried this S80 @ 1.6L....the design is still a boxy Volvo....think they must re-define their design soon...

Features I was surprised that its the same as the conventional S80 2.0L and above except for 1 or 2..

The move off I feel sluggish, could be due to the smaller 1.6L engine, even I was told had turbo charged in it.

Drive was smooth and overtaking is marginally ok as you can hear the rev of the engine when you step on it to do overtaking

The thing I like is the parking sensors that even covers the side sensors which is actually the front and back that is equipped with wider coverage.

Another thing is their aircon for rear seating passengers are at the side pillars which is nice and according to the salesperson, its better that way to blow the aircon to the chest or body level than conventional design at the centre console which blows to knees only.

Overall its a VOLVO still with the safety in it (like their patented SIPS) and drive was reasonable except for the sluggish pickup which is preferable to get their 2.0L instead.

Same features as a 2.0L S80
Parking sensors that tells you even on side obstacles
Many additionals from factory level to choose from and price is reasonable

Pickup sluggish when moving off from the start or at traffic light (maybe its due to a small engine)...better to take the 2.0L instead if price difference is minimum.

Kl023196
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Apr-2010
Worst Aftersales Service And Workmanship Ever  Posted on 20 Jan 2011
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Bought a brand new S80 in 2008. Drove it for nearly two years and sold it in 2010.

S80 is nice to drive and very comfortable. Unfortunately, here are the problems encountered.

1. Metal strip on boot below volvo wording came off within months.
2. Advance aging of driver leather seat within 6 month.
3. Front passenger door window could not auto close.
4. Front passenger door panel was not closed properly after servicing.
5. Car door panel was fixed up but the door knob was missing.
6. After door knob was replaced, the front passenger door couldn?t be open from the inside.
7. Steering wheels scratched during Servicing.
8. Waited a few months for the correct steering wheel to arrive for replacement by authorised dealer.

Initially everything about the car, the 3 year/60000km free servicing provided.
However, all tarnished by the terrible aftesales service and workmanship.

The poor workmanship and aftersales service.
Terrible resale value even if you trade in for a new volvo.

Jtsjv
Premium User Jtsjv
10 forum posts Joined on 10-Jun-2009
All rounder car  Posted on 13 Dec 2010

It comes with beautiful exterior design, well thought of and planned interior layout. A wonderfully designed car that probably won't be out of fashion even ten years after this car was first released in 2006.

Safety features are plenty. Car is stable to drive at 170 in Malaysia, quiet and comfortable. It handles most city driving cornering very well, and absorbs all uneven roads as though they did not exist.

Car is heavy, but it accelerates effortlessly. 90% of the times i drive, my rpm is below 2000rpm, and i'm already usually faster than all other cars around me after the traffic light turns green.
Fuel consumption is good, average about 9-10km/l for me, something decent for a 2.5L car weighing 1.7 tonnes.

Aftersales service is splendid too. Meticulous attention and quick response can be expected.
Overall, a great car to get as a whole.

3rd Volvo driven, previously a 2.4i V50, and currently concurrently a 3.2l XC70.
Next will be a volvo still.

Wonder if a 7 seater volvo that can compete with Audi Q7 or Merc Benz R Class will be available. XC100 or S100 (for S Class or 7 series equiv).

As mentioned above.
More spacious than competitors - E Class, 5 series.

Not much.

Gjcwong
0 forum posts Joined on 28-Sep-2010
A Dark Horse in the Luxury Marque  Posted on 28 Sep 2010

A understated beauty in the luxury segment. Excellent pick up (unlike my dodgy 320 beemer) and cruises effortlessly. Good quality materials are used in the cabin. The seats are the best I have ever - so comfortable. My child falls asleep every time she sits in it. It is a class of its own and you would not see it as many around as the 5 series or E class.

Quick accelleration

Small glovebox

Clneosg
67 forum posts Joined on 31-Jan-2010
Tank that drank petrol  Posted on 17 Apr 2010

I am driving this tank 2010 model (2009 manufacture) daily. Consume petrol like drinking water, avg 12.5L/100km after 4,000km.

Sharp noise (like 2 metal scraping each other) when carparking reversing or turning in slow speed. SM mechanic say this is common as the valve change from big valve to small valve, something like that. While, if that is the case, they know where it comes from, why not think of way to remove the sound??

So that is my experience, the rest is up to you to decide on whether this car is suitable for you.

Quick acceleration and yet stable
Heavy and most vehicle will give way to you as they don't want to hit by a tank unless they are foolhardy.
Great interior, comfortable soft leather seats.
Great sound system.
Can outrun BMW's 1 - 5 series, ha!
Sharp brakes. Good.
Great safety features

No build in hard disk
Sharp noise when turning during reverse n at times slow turning.
Heavy petrol drinking machine (but if compare to maserati, this is noting, ha! 23.5L/100km for maserati!)

Lowd1
Premium User Lowd1
6 forum posts Joined on 20-May-2002
Great Tank!  Posted on 17 Apr 2010

Its a tank but think the modern day ones like the M1A1 Abrams. Strong powerful and nimble. The nimble bit was the most surprising part about this car. Its perky and easy to handle and squirt around. And as with any Volvo you feel the tank like invincibility when you're inside.Lesser beings stay away!!

Handling is accurate but not as sharp and swift as a Beemer. Its also more biased for a comfort ride.

The look really pops too with 18" factory rims!

If you have young kids stay away from the beige color interior cos its a daily battle to keep it clean.

Quick accelleration
Light and easy controls
Luxurious and spacious interior
Integrated child seat - saves one space so you can fit 2 kids and 1 adult at the back
You wont see as many around as 5 series or E class
SM's aftersales service 2nd to none

Comfort biased ride
Smallish glove box

Ymong
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Honestly.... bad experience  Posted on 02 Apr 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I drove S40, S60 and finally S80. I have sent my S80 countless time for noise can be heard from R/RH door when going up the multi storey CP as well as noise from dashboard when cruising around 100km/h. Till today, no improvement at all. I'm tired of going back to SM for those problems i mentioned even though the car is under warranty. I even have the Senior Technical Manager (from SM), Tommy to test the car with me, what he said was..bear with the noise, otherwise sell it. Noise is not under warranty.

I love it when my S80 was free of those little noise when cruising.

I do not like the remarks from the Senior Technical Manager... Bear with the noise otherwise... sell it off.

JingHng_1990
12 forum posts Joined on 31-Mar-2010
Amazing car  Posted on 31 Mar 2010

I fell in love with this car. Although the price is quite hefty, it is quite reasonable compared to an audi. The car is amazing in its own way. Safety is spot on and is great for a family of 4.

Safety
Entertainment
About all

NA

Sungod666
Premium User Sungod666
59 forum posts Joined on 06-Jul-2009
A Tank with Turbo  Posted on 04 Feb 2010

Gone are the days where boring doctors and quiet uncles rules the Volvo ownership circle. With the current S80, you can take on contiental cars of similar range like a fish to water. whether its on the road or parked

The must do for any S80 owners is to let it have a Heico makeover exhanust, gear knob, rims and ECU upgrade. with an improved 275bhp, you make the sucker who paid the same amount for a BMW 525 look as fitting as he can be.

This is your last chance to buy one that is european made before the Geely idiots start producing it in Beijing. by than, Volvo would be nothing more than a fall apart asia junk.

Everything

they sell it too cheap

Winsonyk69
0 forum posts Joined on 29-Sep-2009
Very happy S80 owner  Posted on 29 Sep 2009

If you looking for great power, competitive features, best seats and world-class safety, look no further. Put this car alongside any other European leading manufacturer and you will not be disappointed. No need to pay premium dollars and yet get better value for money. Don't take my words, go for a test-drive at other showrooms and then leave last slot for S80.

1. Best safety