Past Car
Models no longer being sold by local distributors.
Model unavailable since Jun 2013
Road Test - Toyota Vios 1.5 G LX (A)
17 Aug 2010  |  Toyota Reviews
Always known for its affordability, the Vios is back again with its 2nd generation. We take a drive to see what's new in the latest Vios...
vs
Comparison Tests:
Mazda2 Sedan 1.5 (A) vs Toyota Vios 1.5E (A)
   Consumer Reviews of Toyota Vios

3/5 Reliability
2.5/5
3/5 Interior Design
2.5/5
3.5/5 Engine Performance
35 out of 55 (63.6%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 ) Next »
Gaolow
Premium User Gaolow
299 forum posts Joined on 29-Feb-2012
Best FC and Great handling. Value for money (minus the bloody COE)  Posted on 02 Jul 2012

My first car that I drove during my Driving lesson is none other than VIOS from CDC. I'm a tall guy and at first I thought I going to have difficult time to drive the car due to my height. But surprisingly, it fit me nicely and I still have a good view at the front and rear of the car.
The model that I'm currently driving is a new 2012 VIOS. There some changes but it not a great different as compare to the previous 2012 model. Interior is still remain the same as previous 2010 model. The front grill no change, the HID, a dark color on the side vs transparent on the 2010 model.On the back of the car, some minor change on the car plate side. So I'm not sure why BM want to list as new 2012 VIOS.
Overall, when driving this car, it really suit me as I'm not those that like to zoom zoom ..the car is good enough for family and point A to B. Great FC and handling is good too.

Handling, compact sedan, great FC. The in stock Audio is great! Support USB thumb drive. Sound system average, but good for me to enjoy while driving.
The leg room is good for tall guy like me!!!
The current face lift..when look fron front, it like smile at you :)

Interior can be improve further.
Sound proof still have great space to improve.

Jianwen87
0 forum posts Joined on 11-Dec-2010
Fuel Saver & wonderful car  Posted on 11 Dec 2010

Its extremely fuel saving with the car being able to clock about 14.6km/l almost everytime. It is a wonderful car to drive and with a nice look especially with its bodykit. Reliable car and powerful when you need it to be.

Fuel savings and nice looks.

Dashboard and control knobs for aircon looks very unprofessional.

Dino8888
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2010
Best Fuel Efficiency  Posted on 09 Dec 2010

What to say when fuel price is all time high!

Fuel Efficiency, fast acceleration and stiffer steering wheel control which means a lot to safety on the road. Kia steering wheel control is too loose and put me off.

Cornering at high speed 100km/hr will get some roll over.

Kutujayus
0 forum posts Joined on 31-Aug-2010
Fuel efficient , nimble, reliable... what more do you want?  Posted on 29 Nov 2010

Fuel efficient , nimble, reliable... what more do you want?

Average Fuel consumption is 13km+/L , the best is 15km+/L when driving to Seremban Malaysia, to my brother in law home town.

Nimble, this helped after changing to an after market adjustable suspension, + a 17" wheel. this car just superbly easy to control, with a good steering feedback. Saved me from an accident before by quickly diverting to another lane with no car in the way. this car is just very responsive.

This is my side on the experience with the car anyway.

Superbly reliably, in 3 years of this OPC car that is being used, clocked 100,000+ km on the car.. yes i know it's an OPC and yet the miles it is clocked is ridiculous. My brother in law lives in Seremban Malaysia, and he often visit back his parents there ,and in addition to his occasional golf trip in Malaysia.

The only hiccups it have after all that 3 years of abuse are, a worn rear wheel bearing, and a worn Air-con compressor clutch (which is replaced free of charge under warranty )....

What my brother in law love about this car... is that it can fit 2 golf bags in the boot, even the new c-lass is not able to do that. it just got a lot of space in the boot.

On long journey, above 3000rpm, have to turn up the volume of the radio a bit. it just need a little more sound proofing in the firewall, and a bit more around the wheel arch of the car..
the bottom line.. need more sound proofing

Ctong1976
Premium User Ctong1976
10 forum posts Joined on 20-Jan-2009
Reliable brand, Fuel conserving  Posted on 24 Nov 2010

Toyota Vios is my first car, and has so far been very reliable. The performance is satisfactory and the fuel consumption was the pull factor for me. It is ideal family car for me since there are 3 members in my family. Only gripe is the soundproofing is not very good, can hear a lot of road noise when driving but it not a major problem after I turn on the radio

Fuel saving

Sound proofing

Carlln2
0 forum posts Joined on 24-Nov-2010
Real good entry level budget sedan  Posted on 24 Nov 2010

What is budget? Don't talk about performance, modify or some other beautiful words.

This is an entry level budget sedan.

I bought in 2009 July. M/T E. FC at least 15km/L, highest I hit is 16.4km/L, for city drive. Petrol Malaysia Shell VPower. FC at 15.5km/L pump esso 5000. For a 1.5L car this FC is good. I believe most of the people agree with me.

Well, you will say jazz save more petrol. Prius save more lor, can you afford it? I get this vios at only 47k the time jazz is 65k. I drive 15k per year u think the petrol i used more than jazz? i don't think so.

Interior design also not bad what. i drive BMW 5 b4, yes, interior shiok. but most basic function vios have. what do you want man? a display, u modify lor. jazz have? cerato have? latio have? Don't tell me fit have a screen display, i buy vios + modify a DVD system + audio still cheaper than fit.

Although it is noisy... if you drive van before you will know vios is still good. i drive jazz and airwave just feel slightly better lor.

Max speed hit 160km/h feel i m flying. rpm only at 3.5k.

Overall it is a good ENTRY level BUDGET sedan.

Low price.
FC.
big side mirror.

Original sport rim.

Cloud08
Premium User Cloud08
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Nov-2010
Value for money ride  Posted on 21 Nov 2010

This car has a good balance between the price and the quality you get. Good engine response. Very value for money. most importantly its TOYOTA

reliable
price
engine

not fast enough

Ikanselar
4 forum posts Joined on 10-Jul-2005
Best Car ever Owned  Posted on 18 Oct 2010

My personal Record
Everyday City Driving in Singapore normal 8 to 5 job.

Best fuel consumption Speed = Constant 75km/h
Best distance per tank achieved :
725km per tank ( 42 Litre ) = 17.25 k/L

** Not much Mode**
*add Strut bar in front
*Change air intake filter.

Trustworthy.
No worries
Whenever I need her she will be there faithfully 24hrs a day for the pass 4 years.
Zero mechanical fault.
Owning her is giving myself a peace of mind.

Rear Disc brakes (Excellence for emergency)

Interior back seat not much leg space as I am the type who always moves my driver seat all the way back.

SKG_86
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Oct-2010
Luv it!  Posted on 15 Oct 2010

Had been rented this car from ORIX JB from an emergency call at kelantan... Started journey on 9.30pm from JB, reached Kota Bahru by 5.45am... Overall, I am satisfied with the car… Excellent fc on its class… Stable although abit wobbly when handling cornering on high speed. Most of the time i speed from 120kmh even on snake roads& crossing small river's bridge (some of it will be bumpy, especially drive more than 90kmh), but i dont bother about the bridges. I just cross hundreds of it on 120kmh &d car doesn’t fly... Hehe :D

Although my characteristic is "hate autos", i'll say that Vios is different from other autos on its class. It response to my "call" not like my father's car (mitsubishi lancer EX 1.5), it doesn’t respond on my "call" ...
What i meant by "call" is = when required high rev& power to overtake &etc, if the car is manual, i'll enjoy more.. The power is thrilling... Overtaking 3 buses in just 7sec. If its manual, i can do it in 6 sec only.

Although i'm a "mad" driver, the fc remains low...with the swervy coastal route (route 3) & high rev after each corners + overtake about 90% of the cars, I get 14.5km/ltr with 85% of the journey with air-con on.. (only 1 car I cannot overtake...too powerful Mitsubishi GT 2.0)

- excellent fc in its class! even better fc than super compact cars (such as Perodua Viva/Kancil/chery qq)
- stable on high speed,even on bends

- centre metre console
- small legroom for passengers

JingHng_1990
12 forum posts Joined on 31-Mar-2010
Quite an affordable car.  Posted on 01 Apr 2010

I test drove this car yesterday. I am surprised with the great ride and amazing fc. It is quite simple to drive and audio system is quite okay. Overall a good car.

all

people making negative remarks about car!!

Winfong
15 forum posts Joined on 15-Jul-2009
Money Saving car - Riding the Toyota brand  Posted on 21 Feb 2010

For FC wise, this car really is good - on non-SG highway travelling at speeds above 150/h - FC remains at about 14km/L with 3 passengers (need the weight to keep it from floating). Body being light, it has excellent pickup when it only has driver.

Turn off AC - coupled with average to good drving habits FC can be pushed to 19km/L

When buying this car, Manage your expectation and focus that it has good milage fuel saving- soundproofing in almost non existant - and the rest is either average or just one fry short of a happy meal.

if you're the type of driver that requires the sound of the engine to signal when to gear shift and have a bad habit of not checking side mirrors when changing lane, relying on sound of other vehicles - this is a good car for you.

-If you are those who like to play LOUD music in the car and want outside people to know that you are musically inclined - Get this CAR!!!

- "budget budget" with the Toyota branding.
- Noisy car...less likely to DOUBLE CRANK the car. by accident.and generally you will be aware of vehicles around the car esp MOTORCYCLES...
- FC good - makes your trips worthwhile
- Plenty of Mods around to improve the looks and handling and performance of the car.
- Dime a Dozen car, for security reasons less likely to encounter "unfortunate" circumstances

-Interior is Dull(which can be easily rectified)

-some parts of car is clipped on and not secured with screws, so if the clip wears out, you tend to have areas slightly jutting out. good side to this, is you don't need alot of skill to remove parts.

-ugly shape (which can be easily rectified)
-I think the normal range of colours offered is limited (if only they offered CANDY colour ^_^)

Ask_j
Premium User Ask_j
1 forum posts Joined on 18-Nov-2009
My first car.  Posted on 08 Feb 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I should say being a first car owner, i may not know alot about cars. But 1 thing for sure this car is a fuel-efficient car, with a 13/14km per litre. The car is slightly small for a person like me standing at 1.8m tall. So far, no major/minor problems surfaced. Handling wise feel very soft not to my liking. At >110km/hr, car starts to get jerky. Engine is totally reliable being a toyota and also a vvti. Nothing can go wrong.

Fuel Consumption

Hao80
153 forum posts Joined on 09-Jun-2007
Decent family car but not to my liking  Posted on 06 Feb 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Driven my friend Vios as well as test drive one myself. Overall it is a decent family car. But probably too boring to drive it for long term.

In the end, I decide to expand my search to Korea cars, whom they have made vast improvements over the years.

- Flat rear seat flooring.
- Decent legspace
- Rear boot space is sufficient for average family needs.
- Good fuel consumption
- Cute exterior design

- Rough engine sound. (A big turn off)
- Centre speedometer display. It is a very very bad design..
- Thailand made car selling close to japan made car price.

Andy_chan
0 forum posts Joined on 02-Feb-2010
Worst Car among All Japanese Brands  Posted on 02 Feb 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Just bought my Vios Auto 3 mths ago. Although i know that it is a made in Thai Car, decided to get it coz its a well known japanese car and the cheapest among all Jap Cars. But issues occured shortly, loud engine noise, rear window went down cannot come up, tearing and rust appeared on outer layer of windows. Should have trusted my pal to buy nissan or mitshibushi instead!

Other cars tested :
New Mazda 3 - Gd but not worth the price and crampy as the old model
Mitshibushi EX - Gd but Noisy engine and over my budget
Nissan Latio - Very Gd but over my budget
Nissan Sylphy - Very Gd but over my budget
Never bother to test Honda coz overpriced and made in Thai!

Bought Vios coz the price is the Cheapest among all Japanese Brands

loud engine noise
fc so so
no power when going up the hill
aircon so so
cheap soft interior plastics including dashboard, steering wheel and side doors (Can make a dent if i knocked it abit hard)
Crampy front and rear seats (tested other cars and found out that nissan latio have the biggest interior space for 1.5 cc cars!) Should have got Nissan instead!
Lousy grade sofa
short ceiling
made in thai
too many Vios on the streets!
stupid speedometer in the centre which i got to tilt my head everytime! Wondered who designed it?

I-love-xl
58 forum posts Joined on 17-Sep-2009
Hideous looking car  Posted on 02 Feb 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

The truth be told, its ugly... inside and outside.. Really one of the most ugly car sold in mkt.

Drive itself is bland... Cant feel what the grip level of the front tyres.. Numb of chasis feel...

Toyota reliability and borneo aftersales service...
cheap to buy and extremely affordable to maintain it... Lots of aftermarket parts available

Its really ugly.... the centre console is just such a drag. Lots of boyracer inspired to turn this bread and butter model into a sports car lookalike...

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 ) Next »