This is a past / unavailable model
Road Test - Hyundai i30 Wagon 1.6 Sunroof (A)
14 Jul 2009  |  Hyundai Reviews
What does the i30 CW have over the standard i30? Is it really bigger or will the extra $2000 fetch you nothing more than faux flattery? Read More
   Consumer Reviews of Hyundai i30 Wagon

4.5/5 Reliability
4/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
6 out of 7 (85.7%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
i30 cw feedback after 1 yr
 06 Sep 2011
Would you recommend this vehicle to a friend? Yes

After driving the wagon for 1 year, I must say my assessment of the car is still very positive. The car still rides very smoothly, and thus far, my passengers have nothing but praise regarding the smoothness of the ride and spaciousness of the rear compartment. I am also very grateful for the space at the back of the car. I have made very good use of that when ferrying furniture and other bulky items that otherwise would not be possible with the Avante. The materials in the interior of the car have held up very well considering we parked it in the sun everyday. Maintenance of the car is thus far very minimal, aside from the 50 bucks i spent during scheduled maintenance, it's been relatively hassle-free.
Driving on the highway is an absolute joy. The cabin is generally very quite except of course when you choose to move the rpm needle past 3000rpm. The suspension is brilliantly silky smooth compared to some japanese cars that i've sat in.

That being said, i feel i need to note down some of my observation of the car. The FC of the car is certainly not 14.6km/l as claimed. It's certainly closer to 10.6. I may not be very gentle on the accelerator pedal but i do make it a point not to exceed 2500rpm, so i think it's fair to say i wasn't driving the car hard. I should point out that even if hyundai were to state the FC being 10.6, i'd still say it's not a bad number considering the size of the car. This is not a complaint but an observation. komoco/hyundai needs to reflect this more accurately.

It's a foregone conclusion that the acceleration of the car is sluggish compared to other 1.6l cars, but it's a wagon, so that shouldn't be surprising. The car feels under-powered with the air-con switched on. Without the air-con, it almost feels like a different car. The engine is so much more responsive and it's actually fun to drive! I think this is 1 area hyundai REALLY needs to work, that is to reduce the amount of power the air con needs. it's times like these when i wish i had gotten the non-wagon version of i30. 20 more hp would make a world of difference.

All-in-all, I would still recommend this car to anyone looking for a car that is functional yet elegant looking but doesn't mind the slight lack of grunt in the engine. But if you want a car that engages you more, then i'd say the i30 is a better option. I hope my feedback helps.

- Comfort when driving the car.
- Space of the compartment.
- Accessories that comes with the car, e.g. video feed of the rear incorporated into the rear view mirror. That's very handy.
- A tad bit of under-steer through the corners but still generally a responsive steering.
- Suspension of the car is excellent.
-Interior materials used is top-notch considering the price of the car.

-Slightly underpowered.
-Actual FC not as good as advertised for sure. (Feel free to correct me on this if you think my observation is wrong.)

Decent Car but beware of FC!
 21 Jul 2011
Would you recommend this vehicle to a friend? No

Been driving this car since April 2010. Upgraded from my 2005 NIssan Sunny, but not happy with the decision. Decent car but be careful of FC and build quality. You can hear the car on bumps once it crosses 1 year. Happy Birthday!
Komoco Service is a definite let down.

Is spacious, well featured, engine response is decent for its size
Rear passenger comfort is good. Great boot size. Controls on steering, rear camera on rear view mirror (neat)

Fuel Consumption is disastrous. Rated 6.9L/100Km (14.5km/l) but actually gets you 10L/100km (10kmpl) in city drive. Even on NS highway it gets 8-8.5l/100 (11.8kmpl). This is way below what my 2005 Nissan Sunny used to deliver (11.5-12 kmpl in Singapore) and 13.5kmpl on NS highway.
Worse is the Komoco Service. When I mentioned about the FC to Komoco, all I got was vague responses like - for the stated FC should be driven without spare wheel etc (wow thats a new one, possibly should leave the car on the road if I get a flat!).
Check this out : sent a feedback on the Komoco website on 30th June 2011, no repsonse till date (also faxed to them same day as website did not give a confirmation response/print)
Felt maybe better to raise the issue on Hyundai main website. Did so on 14th Jul 2011... Guess what... NO response.
Any others out there who have similar service issues with Hyundai...

Another great car from Hyundai
 22 Sep 2010
Would you recommend this vehicle to a friend? Yes

What can I say? I think I was completely delighted and pleasantly surprised by the i30cw. Yet another great car from Hyundai. I walked into the showroom as I had a few hours to spare while my Avante was being serviced. And out of curiosity, I decided to give the i30cw a closer look. Long story short, after test driving the car, I was left in no doubt that I was going to trade in my Avante for this car. Which is exactly what happened. Do not let the size of this car deceive you. The cw version surprisingly has a marginally better ride quality than even the outstanding i30. Steering is definitely heavier than the Avante but you will appreciate the better feedback you get from the car. I'm certainly not complaining about the Avante here. I absolutely love my Avante but I was looking for a car that has more room at the back. while driving the i30cw, you will not fail to notice how quiet the car is and how smooth the ride is. The amount of space at the back is more than sufficient. My parents who were seated behind reported that they were impressed with the space behind and the ride was very comfortable even when going over roads that had more bumps than it should. The i30cw has clearly demonstrated one thing that is Hyundai cars are not only great value for money but in terms of quality and build of the car, it is definitely on par if not better than some of the most popular Japanese models. This is a car i would have no problem recommending to anyone. :)

- Really quiet cabin.
- Very stable ride even over bumpy roads
- Comfortable for passengers, front and back
- Great steering feedback

- Would have love to have the option of not having the sunroof. :p

Spacious Wagon to consider.
Premium UserMervynwm
 10 Aug 2009
Would you recommend this vehicle to a friend? Yes

Tested this new wagon last weekend.

Initially thought 4-speed gearbox was insufficient, but was surprised that was not. In fact was quite ok.

Pick up was good, responsive and smooth along the way.

Interior is similar to the i30. Will be good if have some additional since its a new addition to the model.

Good accessories to have. Great work, Hyundai.

Having sunroof to some may think not practical in Singapore but I feel good to have as can enjoy some sun at times.

Overall, its a good car to own for its price and accessories given.

- Excellent drive despite 4-speed gearbox only
- Good pickup. No feeling on gear change
- Big luggage space for a wagon, compared to other wagons around (except continentals)
- Sunroof with rack rails
- Folding key fob
- High headroom, good for tall people
- Spacious rear legroom

- Should have auto retract mirrors when lock vehicle
- Too little colors and interior trim to choose from
- No solar film included as standard
- Will be good if comes with rear aircon
- Will be good if reverse sensor to have distance indication to driver
- No Climate Aircon
- Will be good if can come with 16-inch rims

Car fit for a 8 footer
Premium UserMicko8
 29 Jul 2009
Would you recommend this vehicle to a friend? Yes

I am a 8 footer and I must ensure that I have good leg space and those sitting behind has good leg space for a comfortable ride. I traded-in my Hyundai Sonata to Komoco as it was coming to 5 years in Oct 09. Initially, I booked a Avante during a road show at Toa Payoh Hub as there were only the Avante and i30 on displayed. I went down to Komoca office in Bt Timah to test drive 2 days later as saw the i30CW. I tested the Avante and I dislike the steering as I found it too light in handling. I had to push the driver seat right to the back for my leg space and the leg space behind was very tight. I also test drove the i30CW and found it not only so much more comfortable but also the ease of handling. When I pushed the driver seat right to the back, there were still comfortable leg space for the person sitting behind. For those planning to switch from a 2.0 to a 1.6 model, I strongly recommend that you give Hyundai i30CW a try.

- Spacious legs room
- Ease of handling
- Responsive and quiet engine
- Retractable side mirror
- Fuel economical

- Should have at least a 16" rims instead of 15"
- Choice of with and without sunroof as sun roof may not necessary in hot climate
- No auto climate control