Consumer Reviews of Volkswagen Golf GTI

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Features
4.5/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
9 out of 9 (100%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( ) Next »
Accordvtec
Premium User Accordvtec
3040 forum posts Joined on 19-Jun-2002
All in One  Posted on 09 Nov 2014

Of all the performance cars I have owned, this is one that I like most.
It has a sunroof which I have a fetish for since the old Civic SiR days which I did not own at all but drooling over one:p.
I would rate it a 11/10 and I would like to own another one anytime any day.
It was a value for money car as I only paid $7589 for the COE in 2008.
Yes, 7589:p

Everything..

Nothing.

Whitevios
11 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
A class of its own  Posted on 24 Jan 2014

I guess everyone reads about faulty DSG 7 speed on 1.4 tsi Scirocco, golf etc..i make a switch to this 2.0 GTI that use DSG 6 speed which most people will trust. Indeed, no problem was surface out since delivery. almost 4.5 years and 80,000km down the road. regular servicing of DSG and engine oil to keep it healthy. I expect the new Golf 7 GTI will be even better!

- Impressive power
- Good oil-cooled 6 speed DSG
- Practical car
- Power or relax driving.. you will decide
- Good FC (i'm getting average of 9-10km/L)
- Maintenance cost might be lower than 1.4TSI
- Stock 18" rims
- HID, lower leveling lamp, sunroof (VCS car)
- Chassis control (Comfort, normal or sports)

- No DRL

Navy831
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Desirable  Posted on 13 Apr 2011

I'm sure people know Autocar UK; a respected magazine. They test, on average, 52 cars; one a week. At the end of each year they have a compilation (summary) of all the road tests they did for that year. In that compilation they tell you of all the troubles they had with the cars they tested.
In one such a case a few years ago,of all the 52 cars they tested not one Japanese or Korean car gave any kind of problem that rendered the car undrivable.
The European cars were guilty of all the major problems. In fact it was a GOLF which threw a conrod!
Go figure.

Altango147
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Good car but the pricing ...  Posted on 07 Sep 2010

I test drove it recently and was impressed overall with the car. It seems so well put together, a good balance between sportiness and practicality.

However regarding the price... i checked the pricing and it seems VW Singapore is having a margin of 41%.
I checked the margin for similar cars in the market:
Audi A3 models : 34-36%
Audi A4 models : 34-40%
Mercedes C : 25-35%
Mercedes B Class : 16-24%
Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 : 33%

So i wonder why VW Singapore has such a high margin versus similar luxury models.

Anyone with insights? I really like the car but i dont feel good to be over-charged.

A good balance between sportiness and practicality

Pricing margin seems too high

Ochmanp
Premium User Ochmanp
0 forum posts Joined on 25-Dec-2009
First in Singapore to buy one and no regrets at all... just brilliant!  Posted on 04 Sep 2010

I have had this car this July 2009 and have now done 18K+. No problems to date.

The car really handles well, offers fantastic performance, has pure class and offers great quality. Overall the drive is so brilliant and makes you want to drive it more and more.

It also offers good interior space - the German's know how to design the car for space efficiency to handle the average German who is 183cm tall. I am 193 cm tall and find both leg room and head room very good. I even put 2 car seats in back and still adequate space for wife to sit in the middle back. Boot is also very good size.

I have modded the car with MTM stage 1 and some chassis braces (total spend $2.4K) and the car just handles and performs just that much better. Standard car is already very very good but now its just brilliant.

I highly recommend this car for the boy racer in every man and girl (my wife loves it too).

Engine
DSG
DCC
Detroit wheels
price of $126K at launch

boy racer image (I am 38yo with 3 kids so a bit over that)
constant options of modding
urge to speed and feel invincible

JingHng_1990
12 forum posts Joined on 31-Mar-2010
Another amazing VW  Posted on 01 Apr 2010

I test drove this car weeks ago. The car looks very sporty especially the alloy rims. The fuzzy interior is good and car has a very solid make. I'm impressed

Almost all

NA

Halo111094
46 forum posts Joined on 07-Feb-2010
If the Astra VXR is a hooligan, then the Golf GTI is a jewel thief played by Cary Grant – sublime, effortless, powerful. You’d like not to be seduced, but dammit he’s good.  Posted on 27 Feb 2010

The latest Golf, in any guise, is unusually refined. Thicker glass and better sound proofing have made it a remarkable quiet at speed, while the adaptive chassis on the GTI means that you can turn off the harder focus of suspension and steering as and when you want to take it easy.
The GTI used to be all about understatement, the sort of effortless cool that we all ought to be aspiring to. It's gone a bit flash in its sixth evolution, but is still a handmade brogue compared to the day glow trainer that is the Focus RSIt's a Volkswagen, and a posh one at that. With that I mind you can rest assured the quality of materials and fit and finish are all superb. Mechanical reliability ought to be top notch too, so there's nothing to worry about here.

For the first time, Volkswagen has put a limited slip differential on to the GTI's front drive set-up, maximising traction for those few extra horses.Combined with the adaptive chassis and a communicative and linear steering set-up, it corners with assurance and changes direction with remarkable stability.Available in three- or five-door body shapes from launch, with an uncompromised and comfortable interior and big, easily accessible boot space, this is the definition of a practical modern hatchback. It just so happens to also be shit-off-a-shovel fast. day-to-day running will be manageable thanks to its comparatively frugal 2.0-litre TFSI engine and modest(ish) emissions.

Rims look the same.

Jamesdevil
11 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Simply The Best  Posted on 15 Nov 2009

Went hunting for a new car in Alexandra. Went to Volvo, Renault, Skoda and VW. I was surprise how little did the sales man mentioned about the car, all he said was many people tested it and gave good reviews. Well that says it all, such was the confidence on the product, and the product did not fail. This is praticality and sportiness at its best. No car with such price is as complete or comes as near to giving as much fun from this car. Torque from the engine is simply exhilarating, neat handling and wonderful brakes. Rear air condition and wide back space means the family can join the fun too. Great Package in one. Truly awesome

Drivetrain (Engineer, Transmission, Steering)
Great interior
Practicality

Looks too much like the Golf MK5

Tarboon
2 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
One of the Best Car to Owned  Posted on 14 Nov 2009

I am surprise no non professional comments written on this car yet. I have owned the GTI for 3weeks now. I must say I love the car a LOT till to date. Touch wood, nothing has break down yet after lots of hard acceleration and brakings.

I rememeber searching the right car for me quite awhile back. Testing numerous family+performsnce cars. Nothing strike me as hard as the GTI. I was in awe with the power and handling + the level of comfort. After the test drive, my mind just crave for it again. It was like crossing over to the dark side. A taste of 200hp power.

Within these few weeks, I have dozens of friends and biz associates either sit or driven my GTI. Everyone were in for the surprise. One thing for sure, all men love it. How I know it, they simply could not hide their smiles on their face.

Engine Power 210HP
More power up to 270Hp ,just up the software
Stylish interior
Suspension can be choose
Good brakes
Good road grip
Look harmless.
Decent boot space(Better than my prev BMW318)

Handbrake on passenger side
Controlling my urge to step hard
A lot of temptations for moddings

•  « Back ( ) Next »