Road Test - Nissan Almera 1.5 Premium (A)
08 Dec 2011  |  Nissan Reviews
Nissan appears to be confident of its compact sedan based on its selling point - space. But what else can the car do besides giving its occupants a roomy cabin? Julian takes it out for a drive to explore more.
vs
vs
Comparison Tests:
Toyota Vios 1.5 G (A) vs Nissan Almera 1.5 Premium (A) vs Honda City 1.5 (A)
   Consumer Reviews of Nissan Almera

3.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
3/5 Interior Design
3/5 Engine Performance
3 out of 4 (75%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( ) Next »
Jamesc
Premium User Jamesc
2Fast2Furious
7556 forum posts Joined on 21-Jan-2007
Very spacious for rear passangers  Posted on 22 Aug 2014

The face is pleasant and inoffensive but what isn't stylish today will not be outdated tomorrow.

This is a very standard A to B car and good for fuss free motoring for the normal driver. The engine is not the most powerful but pulls cleanly and good for city driving.

The handling is decent and tidy for normal day to day driving with any unnecessary drama.

The driving position is good and I can get very comfortable behind the view. The dash is clear and dials easy to read.

The rear space is fantastic and the knee room for rear passengers is huge.

The rear space for this car is class leading. The rear doors also give good access and is easy to get in and out of.

The driver's seat is comfortable and the driving position is very good. I cannot find a comfortable driving position on the Viios but no problem on the Almera.

Being a Nissan it should be very reliable and fuss free to maintain. For buyers in this class, fuss free motoring, reliability and ease of maintenance should be high on their list.

For those with family or often carry passengers in the back the spaciousness is a bonus.

Not the most exciting looking car but won't look dated too fast.

Pellty
Premium User Pellty
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Most driver friendly car that I 'be tested driven  Posted on 01 Nov 2013

What attracts me to test drive this car is its unique car exterior design and color matching. While I used to drive a Nissan Sunny super saloon in 2001, the interior design was a far cry to this one. The gear performance is definitely more responsive than its previous makes and this contributes to the fuel consumption when compared to its peers on the market. I would prefer to buy this car for my wife to drive when she passes her driving test and get her license because it is driver friendly unlike some cars which has a busy dashboards. Most importantly, it has the bronze brown color that we like.

Exterior and interior car designs
Responsive gear performance
Smooth handling
Driver friendly dashboard

Engine performance is still not ideal
Boot space is a bit small

Turismo286
0 forum posts Joined on 14-Jun-2012
A Very Pleasant Surprise  Posted on 14 Jun 2012

I have been in the market for a compact sedan and have been comparing the Toyota Vios and Nissan Almera extensively side by side. Went down to both showrooms for test drives. I am also a long time Sunny driver.

Styling is always going to be a subjective issue. I think the Almera edges out the Vios in the looks department. The Vios for instance, just looks a little too 'cartoony' from some angles. The Almera, while not exactly a supermodel, conveys a relatively straightforward and benign demeanor with its lines and contours. It is unoffensive and I like that - It doesn't try to pretend it is something its not.

I was very much impressed with the interior however. I'd say that the Almera is very much superior in its interior finishing and space. Unlike the Vios, which has a sea of hard plastics surrounding the entire dashboard and a pretty cramp rear cabin, the Almera on the other hand seemed almost cavernous by comparison. The rear leg-space, was the deal clincher for me. I could comfortably stretch out (and I am 1.87m tall).

Again, with regards to driving dynamics, I was also pleasantly surprised. The power output might sound low on paper but in real world driving the Almera was pretty fleet footed once the car got off the initial crawl. In Singapore, the power is more than adequate for our day to day city driving needs.

The previous reviewer mentioned that it was 'High price for a low build, cheap quality car.' I could say the same for the Vios. One has to temper expectations when you're shopping in this segment and in this respect, the Almera gets my vote.

- Cabin space
- Interior and riding comfort
- Did I say it was spacious?
- Ease of use
- It is a night-and-day improvement over the Sunny

- The lack of a front armrest
- Slightly anemic engine

Heartbreakid
907 forum posts Joined on 15-Oct-2005
A Huge turn off by Almera  Posted on 25 Dec 2011
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

A friend was looking for a ride as first time owner. Went along to check out the Almera.

I simply don't understand why can't Nissan do a better styling for their bread and butter family sedans. Alright, the exterior styling is not impressive. Took a look at the interior. Basically it is a Nissan March with some changes to the air-vents to the center console.

Overall interior build feels cheap and very basic. Legroom is good for front and rear, overall space a good match with the Toyota Vios.

A closer check reveals that the entrance at the front body has got insulation rubber installed at the top half, the rear has got none of the insulation rubber at all. Why I am so particular about it is because it will affect the refinement. Further more, with such a car at such a price, my expectations of a car is naturally higher.

In conclusion, we didn't go for a test drive even because it is just a huge turn off... So can't comment about the engine performance, noise and ride quality... If this Almera is to replace Sunny and Latio sedan, I feel outright disappointed because it is not a worthy contender at all... Latio has the quality and luxurious feel to it. Sunny though is an old model, the overall package is very much better than this Almera, Sunny has good quality materials, good build. Though it is tight, low on fuel economy, Sunny still does its job well moving the family comfortably with decent styling, comfort and refinement...

In the end, my friend turn to Toyota Vios instead...

Basically none.

- High price for such a low build, cheap quality car? PLEASE...
- Awful styling, looks unbalance, ungainly...
- Cheap build, low on equipment, low quality...
- I think basically the entire car I dislike...
- Really not a worthy replacement to Sunny or Latio Sedan... Sunny has miles better build, materials quality, styling than this Almera.

•  « Back ( ) Next »