Related Articles

MCF joins Volkswagen to explore the Golf range

Premium economy in the Golf 1.4 Highline

325 Volkswagen e-Golfs hit the streets of London

Here's how to drive safely in the rain

Car Review - Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI DSG (A)
02 Jul 2014  |  Volkswagen Reviews
You can call it a poor man's Golf, but the humble Wolfsburg hatch is nothing short of a spiritful drive - even in its base 1.2 TSI form.
vs

Consumer Reviews of Volkswagen Golf

4/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
22 out of 31 (71%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 ) Next »
Danls79
60 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
1st 1.4 highline on road  Posted on 29 Jul 2018

I have been driving the 1.4 highline for two month plus already. Seems like mine was the first to be on road in singapore :)nothing to complain about. The handling and interior of the car was good.

Everything was good till now. Especially the digital display and the various sensor around the car that got me out of accident for few times. As for the 1.4 engine there is nothing to complain as it is a proven one.

i can feel abit of turbo lag in the low end but nothing i cant settle when i switch to sport mode.

Savagetosh
Premium User Savagetosh
59 forum posts Joined on 25-Jun-2011
Quick and nimble, with decent space!  Posted on 11 Feb 2018

The VW Golf is a quick and nimble car, and is especially good for city driving! It's small from the outside, but the interior space is bigger than the Audi A3. My head would hit the roof when I sit at the back of an A3, but in the Golf, there's no such issue. The engine is powerful enough for city driving, however, for highway driving especially for NSHW, you don't really feel it's power in the high end. Overall, it's still a good car!

Powerful and responsive engine.
The quick shifts of the DSG gearbox.
Low fuel consumption
Space (Bigger than A3)
Comfortable seats
Dashboard and features laid conveniently and nicely.
Nice styling

Nothing I do not like about the car, however, just worried about the horror stories people have with the DSG gearboxes.

Raychay
Premium User Raychay
429 forum posts Joined on 21-Apr-2002
Yawn  Posted on 11 Sep 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Test drove the 1.4 TSI during the weekend. It was badged "230" Which meant that it was supposed to have 230Nm of torque but on paper it only has 200Nm. VW marketing gimmick or 'cheating' again?

Although there was a promotion of $95k for the 1.2 TSI aka 180 which has 175NM on paper and $105 for the 1.4 TSI aka 230, which was 'cheap' for a Cconti compared to Jap/Thai or Korean, I didn't enjoy the drive as it felt boring and slow to me.

Car feels solidly built & stable
Interior well-built

Boring exterior
Boring interior
Brown coloured seats
Only red colour left
Gearbox issue not sure if fixed

Eevee
0 forum posts Joined on 10-Aug-2017
Value for money  Posted on 10 Aug 2017

I've owned this wonderful facelifted Golf 1.2 since 11/17. Very happy with the 108hp tsi superb punchy engine, good responsive pick up & handling especially from the DSG gearbox in "S" Mode (not tiptronic).
Can easily outrun any 1.6 Jap or Korean car
When accelerating in Sport mode, the Golf will tend to shift to the next higher gear later than normal, revving the engine to a higher rpm. This can be useful for passing cars on the expressway or just when you want a sportier driving experience (also easy to filter out when overtaking).
Normally, under "D" Mode the engine would shift earlier when accelerating in order to save fuel. Decelerating in Sport mode will have the opposite effect, causing the vehicle to shift into lower gears earlier than normal in order to keep the engine rpm high.
Mileage done around 12k+ without hiccups (keeping my fingers crossed)
Excellent firm suspension soaking every bump & uneven surface with a comfortable ride.
My previous car was a Colt Version R

1) DSG gearbox
2) Excellent suspension
3) TSI engine ( not harsh)
4) Audio system
5) Spacious comfortable cabin (brown LU seats looks nice)
6) Nice shinny paintwork till now (no treatment done, just regular washing)
7) VW dialogue centre ( to sort out teething issues)
8) After sales service (maybe not be the best but still ok, give them time to put it
right)

1) Driver seat not to my liking (back & bottom not much support,
hurts you after an hour in the car)
2) Reverse sensor obsolete, should be factory fitted with parking distance control

neski
Premium User neski
124 forum posts Joined on 22-Jul-2017
Nice conti hatch  Posted on 24 Jul 2017

Own a mk6 model thus naturally will be incline to test drive the mk7 model to test the difference. The gearbox seems to be smoother as compared to my mk6, the car is well insulated even thought I tested the R-line which comes with 19” Inch rims, not much road noise or harshness felt, the equipments level is high only with EQP or R-line while the base model still does not have keyless entry/start which is a norm for car nowadays. The EQP/R-line model have better headunit as oppose to the base model. Generally feel the car is well build but price wise it is not really attractive no thanks to the COE.

- Nice handling
- Compose ride
- Whole car feel well build/solid
- DSG is smooth and responsive
- Good sound insulation
- Good headunit (EQP/R-line)

- Have to fork out more for keyless entry and keyless start.
- Price is a tad high and it open to many options.
- Still using 7-speed dry clutch gearbox
- Engine compartment looks ugly

Jem_Q
0 forum posts Joined on 03-May-2012
2017 Golf 1.4 TSI R-line  Posted on 19 Jun 2017

Been driving my brand new golf for the past 2 months, and I love it!

Was driving a Mazda 3 for the past 5 years and wanted to get an upgrade, with a budget of 130k+ and originally wanted to get the A3 sedan, and never considered a Golf as I always found it to boring in looks and had never driven a hatchback before.

Test drove the A3 1 litre sedan and found it pretty decent, but still lacking in power, and cabin space.

Then I walked into the VW showroom looking to view the jetta sport line and saw the Golf R line, and the sporty looks with the moon roof and 19 inch rims sold me.

When I test drove it, I found it to be a much faster car then the A3, especially when driven in sports mode. With 148bhp and 250Nm, on paper it hits 0-100km in 8.2 seconds which is amazing for a Golf! Even faster then the new Civic 1.5 turbo.

Exterior: Its a Golf R styling for the price of a normal golf ++ with LED Daytime running lights and LED headlights.

Interior: Nice black piano trim, but lacks the control nob like in the A3 or new mazda 3. Has electric seat for the driver which is good, but no memory function.

Features: Hill Hold Control, so you no longer need to keep depressing the brakes when stopping at traffic lights. Push start button, build in navigation system, tyre pressure monitoring system, apple and android car play and my favourite a sun roof or moon roof which is able to retract and you can drive like a partial convertible.

Comfort: Suspension is good despite the large 19 inch wheels. Cabin insulation is good there is ample space for 3 adults in the back with plenty of knee and head room.

The Drive: Overtaking is a breeze, as compared to my previous car. Car corners very well and feels solid. Many people have mention about the unreliable 7 speed DSG gear box, but so far I have no problems and it is smooth and changes gears quickly.

FC: Not so great and nowhere near as stated on paper. But mostly due to the fact I have been driving hard in sports mode.

I have yet to send my car in for 1st servicing , so I can't comment on the after sales service.

There is a 20k+ difference between the basic 1.4 and the R Line, but I believe its money worth spent for the sportier looks, extra build in features and the more powerful engine. It might be a poor man's Golf R, but I still love it.

1) Sporty Golf R looks
2) Powerful 250Nm torque
3) Huge stock 19 inch alloy rims
4) Retracting sun roof
5) Smooth 7 speed DSG
6) Spacious cabin
7) Driver electric seat

Not much but if I were to be really picky,
1) Lack of memory seat function
2) Leather seats seems a little too rough and not supple or soft.

Laserghia
32 forum posts Joined on 04-Mar-2004
Will never touch again  Posted on 26 May 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Got it brand new 1.4TSI within 6 month clutch required replacement and on the 12month of ownership the gear selector lever was defective and required to replace. Sold it off after repair. Will never touch this brand again!

algo85
0 forum posts Joined on 03-Dec-2016
A safe and fuel-efficient car.  Posted on 15 Jan 2017

I have been driving the Golf 1.2 TSI for the past 2 weeks and thought that I should share my experience.

The Golf 1.2 TSI is really basic and does not come with the gadgets that other trims have to offer. If you are looking for a safe, fuel-efficient and a comfortable car to drive in, this is the car to consider.

My purchase came with the following:
1) 3-year warranty (all parts).
2) Free servicing at 15k, 30k, 45k intervals.
3) Free 1 year road tax.
4) Free BlackVue DR450-1CH without GPS
5) Free 3M solar film, but RikeCool was installed when I collected the car. They claim 3M was out of stock but the car beside mine at the car collection bay had 3M solar film installed.
6) Free customised boot tray.
7) Free VW umbrella.

7 airbags. Japanese cars at this price range do not offer this level of protection.

Smooth acceleration with the 7-speed DSG. Hopefully the reliability issues have been resolved.

Fuel-efficient. My fuel consumption (based on the car sensor) can be as good as 21km/l on the expressway. I will find out the real values once I refuel my car.

Good sound proofing.

Excellent handling. There is minimal body roll around corners and the steering wheel loosens at low speeds and tightens as you accelerate.

Passengers can open the doors from the inside and the car lock will automatically disable (except if the child lock is enabled) - no more fumbling to unlock the door when passengers are alighting.

No car alarm! I only discovered this after I collected my car. I had always thought that an alarm is the most basic function to deter theft. Very disappointing.

I have to manually disable the auto-engine stop function and also enable the air-con circulation mode each time I start my car.

BMWX1
Premium User BMWX1
5 forum posts Joined on 10-Oct-2016
A Good Small Car  Posted on 11 Oct 2016

Test drove this car few months ago and I thought this is a fun car to drive. Easy to drive and overtaking is easy due to its shorter wheelbase.

1. At this size, this car is reasonably good buy for daily usage.
2. Easy to control and drive.
3. Comfortable as compare to jap cars interior.
4. good level of infotainment and safety features.

1. no road presence due to its small size.
2. poor sale rep follow-up and service.
3. poor resale value.
4. car branding and image

mrkkhk
Premium User mrkkhk
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Aug-2016
Gear Box From Trash  Posted on 20 Aug 2016
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Spoilt gearbox few weeks after collecting car
Have bad suspension
Not sufficient hp to give the car enough lift from the start
Cramp backseat
Small bot
Not reliable
Plenty of bare basics
Outside looks not appealing,never buying vw ever ever again

NOTHING BUT PRICE

EVERYTHING

Burpie
0 forum posts Joined on 04-Jun-2008
Amazing All In One!  Posted on 22 Feb 2016

First time owning a VW and totally delighted! I was totally sold during the test drive and when I learnt about the many features found usually only in bigger or more luxury-end cars (I slowly discovered each one only after I had bought the car), I was even more impressed and happy with my purchase. My whole family of drivers also love the Golf!

I have two other friends who own a Passat CC and a Scirocco and both have no complaints about the DSG gear. I find the DSG gear to be magically smooth.. Accelerating from D1 to D7 without even noticing the gear change!

To be honest, I think this is the most value for money car ever purchased so far!

- smooth DSG gear
- features like "auto-stop" (no need to put your foot on the brake at stop), auto-folding wing mirrors, touch screen, sports mode etc
- VW pre-owned sales people.. very helpful and honest

- yes to find out

SGCMphotog
Premium User SGCMphotog
1 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Value for money and reliable  Posted on 01 Jan 2016

Having drove it for a while, I do like the FC of the car which hovers around 15km/l mixed driving with more city driving. When power is required, just activate the "SPORTS" Mode and this machine roars into action. Not the best insulated drive around and it does corner well for hatch

Good FC
Lots of "auto" features
Rear aircon (rare for this size and price)

space, it does get a bit cramp

Blowndiffuser
38 forum posts Joined on 04-Dec-2010
Comfortable and competent  Posted on 21 Nov 2015

Have just hit 25000km in my 1.2TSI and it's been a good car. No scratches or damage when I received it from VAG, and, apart from an occasional rattle from the back seat (which I solve by folding it down and back up again) no mechanical or electronic issues either. Ride comfort is noticeably better than the Axio, Civic, Mazda 3 which I used to ride in. The engine has enough power and torque for getting around town with some punch, but is no racecar. No gearbox issues so far either. The only other niggle that I have is that the clear plastic covering the display instrument panel is easily scratched and accumulates dust easily (or maybe I'm just OCD). Oh and fuel economy has been excellent, hitting 23km/L for long highway trips and about 17km/L for city driving.

Good cabin materials
Torquey engine
Comfortable ride

Easily scratched clear plastic over the tachymeter and display panel
Occasional rattle
Not as fun to drive as a Mazda 3 or Civic

KAY123
Premium User KAY123
7 forum posts Joined on 15-Jun-2014
Terrible Thing  Posted on 09 Jun 2015
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Owned it for 1 year now and it's terrible.

Comfort : Ride isn't smooth small rocks and potholes upset it and it bounces a lot. The seats are rock hard and front passenger could provide more lumber support. Rear seats could be recline abut more as u sit at a near 90 degree angle.
Reliability : Car had scratches on the dashboard and the seat when it arrived and it has broken down 9 times ever since I bought it. The electronics keep on spoiling and there is a weird squek when closing and opening the front passenger door.
Handling : Car has lots of body roll in the corners and steering is a tad to light.
Exterior Styling : My car is the Sport TSI model and it has Bi-Xenon headlamps and 18 inch rims. The styling is quite nice thanks to the LED Daytime running lights and the 18 inch rims.
Interior Design : Got the black veneer interior and 8 inch touchscreen. The black veneer looks great so does the ambient lighting but ambient lighting would be even nicer if it was available in the back.
Features : My car has 360 degree park assist sensors and had autonomous
parking. Those features are quite a nice touch in a family hatchback.
Value For Money : Including the price of COE, the car is still a bit to expensive.
Engine Performance: The Sport TSI I have has 20 more BHP than the standard 1.4 TSI model and it's very perky but the DSG gearbox is very jerky.

Nice features
Nice design in and out
Nice , smooth and powerful acceleration

Nearly every thing

asiaroadwarrior
17 forum posts Joined on 13-Jan-2015
Be very careful with the Golf  Posted on 13 Jan 2015
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I have driven the TSI Sports for just on a year now. The car is great. Its got that German feel, lots of features, its comfortable and drives well. Its only a small engine so you get all the power delivered to you very fast but then it quickly runs out of power. I can't expect more from this engine, but it runs beautifully.

My car has the sun roof, sat nav, auto everything (wipers, climate, lights, auto parking). The only thing missing which I think I will install is a reversing camera.

It looks great and mine has the Xenon with LED running lights which I also like.

HOWEVER! I wish I had listened to my instincts. I was told the gear box problems have been solved in the Golf 7. Well sadly they haven't. At 7000km's my display said Transmission Fault. After going into VW it was not a small problem. It was there for 3 days and was finally repaired. Its now at 20,000km but the gear box vibrations are getting worse.

I can't drive this car with confidence. There is always something going on. My display will suddenly turn to German. The gearbox and this are known problems but VW will just take you through a long drawn out painful process with your gearbox. I can tell you they have not solved the problem of the Gear Box in the Gold 7, don't believe anything else.

Shame because I love the car. It's a little on the "boring side" to look at but its been put together with amazing quality.

I would not buy a VW with a DSG gearbox again. A few colleagues with Jetta's and Golf's have also experienced problems with the gearbox on the latest version.

It drives really nicely and handles incredibly well.
All the power is delivered very quickly - Nice engine
Great features (nothing more I want except a reversing camera)
Comfortable and very practical.
Storage everywhere and lots of very smart features
Very fuel efficient!
Sat Nav is great and integrated into your info display
Lots of features in the entertainment system including video (can't play off USB/SD though).
Touch screen display

Slightly boring looks and styling (exterior)
DSG gearbox feels like a serious problem waiting to happen - Don't believe VW when they say this has been solved. Do your research independently.
VW service is seriously very bad
The sound system could use an upgrade
The auto on off when sitting at traffic lights needs more intelligence so it doesn't turn off all the time (look at the audi) - Although you can override it
No ability to turn off daytime running lights

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 ) Next »