Related Articles

Seven iconic cars only '90s kids will remember

Toyota launches the new Corolla Sport

Facelifted Toyota Altis challenges new Honda Civic

Car Review - Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 (A)
07 Feb 2014  |  Toyota Reviews
Looking like nothing before, can the 11th generation Toyota Corolla Altis seize back the mid-sized sedan market share it once owned from the Honda Civic?
vs

4/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
3.5/5 Interior Design
3/5 Engine Performance
47 out of 59 (79.7%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 ) Next »
DdCarReviewerSG
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Sep-2018
Looks Relatively Good and an Excellent Point A to B Car  Posted on 21 Jan 2019

For decades, the Altis has been constantly improving in the reliability, technology and comfort. When driving, we can literally see at least 1 Altis at every Junction that we go. This is how common this car had become. This car has been a household name to many since the 2004s when the Altis first touched down on Singapore's Shores. So for today, let us just talk about the features of the Car and leave Performance out of the picture sice many of you would be interested in the Features rather than engine performance.

Firstly, I like the colour of the Interior. At least there are many different tones of colour. Not so monotonous. Monotone interiors can be a bit boring and dull after a while. Helps to keep the drivver a little excited about the drive.
This car has quite big....sports rims for a non-performance sedan. Always expected like really tiny rims.( Maybe to some of you may be too small)
Reliability of a Toyota is so affordable.
This car finally comes with Paddle Shifters....At least I saw it at the Motor Show...

I am not really a fan of the exterior styling of the car. Feel that it looks a little dated although there are modern features such as daytime running lights. Looks a little like an Uncle Car rather than a car for the Youngsters. Really true as the drivers I see driving an Altis are usually Old Man and Old Ladies.
This car could easily be mistaken for GRAB because of the high supply of this model being used as a Grab Car.
The gear stick looks weird together with the dashboard design. Probably a new design gear knob would be better.

ErChianKong
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2018
Bread and butter reliable car  Posted on 09 Nov 2018

Look much nicer than the previous version, a little bit more executive looking.

I drove it for 30000km before writing this review. Overall, the car can be summarized in 1 word - OK. Everything is good but not fantastic, slightly overprice for a made in thailand car.

Good amount of space compared to mazda 3

Reliable and easy to maintain

Powerful air con

Air con give out a weird smell sometimes

dannychoy84
86 forum posts Joined on 14-Sep-2018
Very Comfortable Car  Posted on 26 Oct 2018

As it's reputation, my first Toyota have everything ergonomically just right in place when you step in. I just felt very familiar with everything, although this is the first time I own a Toyota. A very comfortable space to be in. Significantly less stressful and tiring traveling long distance.

Ergonomic, comfortable and big space, quiet cabin, smooth engine and CVT transmission, steering weight, interior styling and quality built.

Price is on high side , no GPS., audio console very limited function.

LynnettePoh
0 forum posts Joined on 25-Jan-2018
Value for Money, but nothing fantastic  Posted on 14 May 2018

My 2nd Altis, as my 1st altis was still a good drive at 13 years and 300k mileage later.

Impulse buy as stupidly thought GST will be implemented in April but no regrets as the Altis Facelift Elegance is still a good drive.

Decent mileage at about 13km/l (good mix of peak hour no ERP driving at main roads) if you're patient and lightfooted.

Aircon quite cold

Spacious interior

Back row seat can be folded 60/40 for long goods.

17" tyres offers good grip on wet roads and during cornering.

Familiar engine layout under the hood.

Car less noisy at higher speeds.

Their GPS is a joke shows Jurong Island as 1 white patch of area.

Their mirror-link or mira cast is pretty useless when you try to link you phone's
GPS onto their console, the screen goes blank as they try to deter drivers from being distract during driving.

Dude, there's a thing called passenger, everytime you lock the console when detecting car in motion, we're not able to program the useless GPS not dial the keypad to make calls.

Irritating alarm that goes off when the passenger unlocks seat belt too early.

pangsh02
0 forum posts Joined on 18-Jan-2018
Very reliable and comfortable ride  Posted on 18 Jan 2018

Trust Toyota!
Comfortable. Spacious for 4pax.
If 3 at the back, it's ok but not for long rides.
Super cool aircon.
Very easy to drive with nice features.

Automatic wipers
Automatic headlights
LED headlights
Good aircon
Comfortable seats
Super good fuel consumption: 650KM on 44L of fuel on mix 60% highway 40% normal roads.
Reliable from first day! Drive this car since mid 2015

It's not the fastest car on the road.
but it's also not the slowest car.
Just good enough for normal driving in Singapore.

spbhu
0 forum posts Joined on 02-Jan-2018
Overvalued car in Singapore  Posted on 02 Jan 2018
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I purchased the 2017 Elegance model in Oct, the reason why I choose Altis is same to many people: it's one of the most reliable car. After 3 months driving, I should say the car is really over valued. Even though it is so called elegance, a lot of feature does not exists, compared to Mazda3, Civic, K3, Elantra etc. The dashboard use totally hard plastic material which looks boring, the engine power is not strong enough, the petrol consumption is high~10.5km/L, I am quite unsatisfy with this car. If you really keen, please choose Standard model, Elegance model is really a joke.

The large boot space.

Interial design
Engine power
Fuel consumption
Lack of feature

zetazee
4 forum posts Joined on 18-Jan-2017
Decent Bread & Butter Car  Posted on 23 Dec 2017

I am reviewing this after driving the Altis Elegance 2016 for 10 months.

Initially, this car was not in my to buy consideration list as it was more than 100k previously. When I went down to the showroom during Jan 2016, there was the Motor Show promotion, with all the freebies thrown in and the 100k price tag, which made me considered this car again.

I had a test drive on the car, and found the interior sound proofing decent. Sound system is generally ok. Ample space for passengers behind, and also the arch for the behind middle passenger is quite low. Interior and exterior of the car was also nicely designed. Only complaint is the lack of features compared to other cars with the same price tag, such as Cruise Control or Dual Aircon System and Aircon Vent for behind passengers.

Eventually, based on the good promotion from the Motor Show, I bought this car.

Experience after driving for 10 months on the car:
Generally no issue with the car driving and stability.
Fuel Consumption for me is on average about 13.5 km/l. (I am quite light footed) Unable to hit the 15.4km/l that the specs stated.
Aircon is quite cold even at setting 28 degC and 1 bar fan.

Overall, I find Altis a good decent Bread & Butter Car.

Sporty Exterior
Spacious Interior
Michelin PS3 Tyre included in my Altis Elegance, giving good traction even during rainy weather
Cold Aircon
Generally decent Fuel Consumption

Lack of features (e.g. Cruise Control, Dual Aircon System)
Aircon Vent has some weird smell after awhile (probably due to condensation)
Will be better if can achieve stated FC in specs

Brass
864 forum posts Joined on 07-Nov-2017
Decent and safe choice for a reliable mode of transportation  Posted on 21 Dec 2017

If it was a few months ago, I would have junked the car.
But now, with ves for Elantra, Impreza 1.6 disappeared, with civic and Sylphy and Kia Forte basic and ex not being safe enough ,and Mazda 3 probably too cramped for some, this has to be the best deal in town other than Kia Forte sx.
Didn’T test drive this car.
However, Toyota drives all like the same...
If you want good handling, walk out of BM now and walk into TEK.

This car is not a legend.Its an all rounder.
Safety? Check (though better with safety sense c)
Comfort? Check
Ease of maintenance? Check.
Cheaper than the other two arch rivals from the past? Check.

Safety- 7 airbags with traction control and etc.
Comfort-flat floor unlike our new car.
Ease of maintenance-common enough to see Toyota everywhere except North Korea, right?
Cheaper...but not the cheapest than my first choice if I were to buy a new car now.

No auto one touch down with pinch function for at least driver and front passenger.
No light to indicate whether power is still on to operate power windows after engine shuts down.
Spartan and plastics don’t feel very good.
Hate the gps if they give the same head unit as UMWT in Malaysia
(Only show singapore,Malaysia,and Brunei)
Need to pay for solar film?
(I thought it is included!!!!)

opgamerkkhk
62 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
Not the best compact sedan in market  Posted on 13 Nov 2017

The 10th gen facelifted corolla altis has lots of hard plastic in the cabin namely the dashboard and door panels. The altis gets 7 airbags on higher trims which costs more than something along the likes of honda civic and much more than mazda 3. However, i believe those who owns an Altis desires for more space and reliability instead of driving experience. With poor handling and fuel consumption of 9.8km/l according the the information cluster, it is advisable for buyers to check out the subaru impreza which now has a 2.0 trim for less than 120k which costs around the same as the top trim level altis. Furthermore, the more high tech, fuel efficient, more spacious and much more fun to drive honda civic costs much less than the altis which attracts mostly pioneer generation buyers due to its outdated features cost cuttting interior and poor engineering compared to other competitors, Although the altis is boring , it also lacks in the NVH even with acoustic glass. Speaking of which, the renault megane sedan 1.2 turbo is much quieter and also cost saving in fuel and road tax. Although altis does not have rear air con vents the front is sufficient. However if you are looking for a compact sedan i suggest taking a look at the more sporty mazda3 and honda civic.

7 airbags

poor built quality

eels11
25 forum posts Joined on 27-Jan-2016
Nice drive, plain car  Posted on 08 Nov 2017

When I was looking for a new car, I test-drove both the Altis and Mazda 3. The Altis had a much smoother drive, but the light steering wheel made it feel somewhat toy-like. It was more spacious than the Mazda 3 too. The plain looks of the Altis didn't endear me to the car either. But if you want food value and don't mind the looks, the Altis is probably a good choice.

Sci90179
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Jun-2012
Too common on the road  Posted on 07 Nov 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

There are just too many altis (private hire) on the road to make it stand out. Perhaps after paying over $100k for the car you do want to feel a little bit more special. Overall it’S still a good car but just too plain for my liking.The other brands have caught up with their designs and price point.

Tungsan
108 forum posts Joined on 02-Sep-2011
My First Toyota Car  Posted on 22 Aug 2017

I have been driving for the past 3 days and the ride has been good so far, and I hope it will maintain that way. I do find the car height a very low as I have to bend my head quite a bit in order to get into the car.

I will review more after I ride more in the days ahead.

- exterior Thin and wide upper grille express an advanced and sophisticated impression

-the trapezoidal structure of the bumper creates a distinctive presence on the roads.

- Strong strong aircon.

- 3-layered glass (Elegance model) helps lower noise, vibration and harshness levels, so unwanted wind noise and others sounds do not intrude
into the cabin.

- Engine noise is a bit loud when starting the car

Air Con panel and Wing Mirror and door lock button not illuminated, thus making hard to locate it in dark environment.

- Not much choice of car color to choose from.

Kurumanbo
159 forum posts Joined on 08-Aug-2017
1.6 Standard  Posted on 08 Aug 2017

Being a Toyota, it is a simple and reliable car. It has good fuel consumption, I can typically achieve 15km/L on mixture of highway and city driving. It is pretty spacious for being a sedan and should serve the needs of a typical family. In addition, the back seats can be folded down to fit bulky items. Though the ICE isn't particularly fancy, it is enough to provide entertainment on the road. I often use the Bluetooth to connect to my Spotify on my Iphone.

Fuel consumption
Space
Easy to drive and maintain
Sufficient power for a family car

The holder between the front passenger and the driver can be made bigger as nowadays, people tend to put either their wallet and handphones there but the current specification seems a bit small for either of the items.

Zhi2228
4 forum posts Joined on 26-Apr-2011
Unethical business practise  Posted on 20 Jul 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

No doubt it’S a good car but you also look cheap too reason being it’S management from sale, marketing to customer services take buyer as a fool over promise but under deliver.

I bought the Altis premium model with GSP at Ubi because of convenience plus being convinced by Borneo Motors salesmen that spray painting can be done at Ubi within a day. Wah! Super service! But what it time to spray painting, they told me that I need to bring to Pandan and leave it for a week. Do you want to leave it there for a week? Why showroom never operate at Pandan? Or inform buyers in the first place. That's will back off many buyers. I have called Ubi’S customer service and the old dirty trick it keep delaying an answer and eventually referred to Manager incharge at Pandan, of course already collected money and cannot compromise but insist car needs to be delivered to Pandan and leave here a few days while taking own sweet time to do the spray painting. Outside it’S only a day job.

The premium model and premium service package bought coming to past 2 years and the GSP has never been update. Even while driving to 2nd Penang bridges 2 years ago, the GSP showed I was driving at sea.

Despite of trying to compromise a solution unfortunately at Borneo Motors mercy after paying so much, at its upper hand, I have flock out extra to spray paint elsewhere despite my money for premium paid.

You pay premium for lousy services.

Treat you like a fool!

Purplexus
68 forum posts Joined on 08-Aug-2009
Well built basic sedan  Posted on 04 Apr 2017

Went with my daughter to test drive this car as one of the options for replacing a 9 year old Astra GTC. It is relatively large, very well built, feels solid ( after testing a few others ) and drives quite quietly. However the SGP variant (on offer that day at 99+K ) had only 2 airbags and no other bells or whistles for safety as compared to the Elantra ( 6 airbags and everything else - see the review on the Elantra ) or the Astra. However they do give a full spare wheel. It drives, well like a Toyota, and for SGP roads - should do its duty loyally. Also driving up north should be a breeze as it is relatively comfortable for its size, back seat has space for 3 adults and materials make it comfortable, but don't be in a hurry! Altogether a decent offering and for the price - its very tempting for worry free motoring with its iron clad reliability.

Space, comfort and well built feel.

Competitive pricing.

Assuring reliability history

Sparse on safety options.

Unexciting and ubiquitous.