Related Articles

Double premiere for Mitsubishi in Geneva

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander awarded IIHS rating

Mitsubishi U.K. unveils the all new Shogun Sport

Get rid of your 3-5 years old cars now!

Car Review - Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 CVT Style 7-Seater (A)
28 Nov 2018  |  Mitsubishi Reviews
The Outlander may only look refreshed on the outside, but it now comes with a 2.0-litre front-wheel drive variant, and is more appealing than ever.
vs

3.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
4/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
18 out of 21 (85.7%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
AlvinWang
2 forum posts Joined on 15-May-2012
A good buy !!  Posted on 01 Aug 2019

Just got the babe a week ago. My family and I are happy with it so far. However, I did not foresee seniors having difficulty getting in/out of it. Intend to install side steps to aid them. And window visors too. Not using all the functions in the LCD screen though e.G. Miracast, ipod, spotify. Still getting use to fully utilise the rear parking screen. Strongly recommended for those intend to upgrade to a bigger cc and bigger car.

- impressive size (cut down unnecessary flashing and horn from bigger cars, as experienced by my last smaller car)
- value for money
- reasonable fuel consumption
- sound proofing acceptable (comparatively, as that from my last car was horrendous)

- jerks experienced, especially if Auto hold is being activated
- overtaking takes some effort
- more effort to get into the last row seat

Peterblack
22 forum posts Joined on 13-Jun-2011
Quite good actually.  Posted on 09 Jul 2019

Driven this car for about 3 weeks. Although onboard calculation for fuel consumption can go up to 17 or 18km/L but actual calculation is about 12km/l which is not too bad for a 2L car. Pickup is actually quite good if you understand the characteristics of CVT, but pls do not compare with more powerful cars. Sound insulation is not too bad but bulk of the noise comes from the undercarriage. Space wise is fine as the last row of seats are always taken by my kids. Can be a chore for adults. Electronics wise I would say it is very good already and this car in made in Japan.

Space and value for money 2L SUV.

None at the moment.

HamiSK
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Mar-2019
Doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets.  Posted on 13 Mar 2019

Just viewed this car few weeks ago, as my dad was looking for a new SUV to purchase. I have to say, it really is a brilliant car, for the new 2019 Variant. They've improved alot of things such as adding air-conditioning towards the back seats and etc, really impressive. It really is a value for money SUV for a family, really good car! Yes, the last two seats might be squeezy, but actually the middle seats have a lot of leg room! I'm a 188cm guy, and when I seat in the middle seats, I have a lot of leg room! My knees are quite far from touching the driver's seat or the passenger's seat infront! If you push the middle seats a tad bit forward, the back seats would have much more leg room! This car is just so simple, yet its perfect in all the aspects of a budget SUV. However, I do feel that the engine should be a 2.4L, as it is a SUV. Unfortunately our government isn't very nice about that.

Large boot space.
Comfy seats.
Very silent drive even when revving.
Large legroom area in middle seats.
Stylish exterior.
Simple interior but very easy to use.
Gear shifters behind steering wheel makes it sporty-feel.
Handbrake is much more different than past year cars!

2.0L isn't enough for these types of SUVs, should be 2.4L.

dyong28
7 forum posts Joined on 03-Feb-2019
Affordable SUV with Okay Performance  Posted on 03 Feb 2019

No doubt, the Mitsubishi Outlander is a handsome looking car. Its Dynamic Shield makes its front looks aggressively sporty and isn't that one of the reason why people like SUVs?

When I first bought the car, I love it mainly because how it looked and how it was being reasonably priced. However, after driving it for some time, there are some problems that I starts to see:
1. The CVT is a drag and it is not doing the reasonably powered engine any justice. Overtaking cars needs tremendous effort from the engine and despite how much it roars, it just feels like the CVT isn't able to thrust the car forward. Accelerating when the car is already traveling over 60km/hr works better, since the car already has some momentum. But if I really want more thrust, switching the car to 4WD Lock will be needed.
2. I believe that the engine reliability should be fine, since Mitsubishi is willing to give the engine a 10yrs warranty. However, I am not so sure about other parts of the car. Within 2yrs after driving the car, things started to fall apart. The weather seals on the doors and car body began to drop off, passenger overhead handle started to come off, just to name a couple.

However, don't get me wrong, the Mitsubishi Outlander is not entirely bad. To be fair, besides the 2 key points above, the Outlander does have its positive points like, handsome good looks, good fuel efficiency, comfortable ride with good suspension, sufficient space to take 7pax at any time of the day, etc.

All in all, I would say that my experience with the Outlander isn't the worst, but it isn't the best either. In any case, it is still the better Japanese 7-Seater SUV than the other brand, which is also using CVT transmission for its comparatively smaller 7-Seater SUV.

1. Handsome good looks
2. Sufficient space to take 7pax (incl. 2 kids)
3. Good fuel efficiency
4. Comfortable ride with good suspension
5. Sufficiently powered engine, if it is paired with a better transmission
6. Reasonably priced

1. Terrible CVT that is unable to transmit sufficient power to its wheels
2. Overall make reliability, where car parts start to drop off after driving for 2yrs
3. Mediocre handling with lots of body roll when addressing bends and corners
4. Interior furnishing and features can be improved

Suzeneka
1 forum posts Joined on 21-Dec-2018
Good entry-level 7-seater Jap SUV  Posted on 21 Dec 2018

Been driving the 2015 2.4L Outlander for more than 3.5 years and decided to check out the new 2.0L model recently. Except for the front portion especially grille, the looks are quite similar. Best colour is again, red! It is scarily quite similar on the inside esp. Dashboard and finishing. There have been improvements though especially with the 2nd row aircon and lower capacity engine (i.E. 2.0L from 2.4L), with some savings on the road tax expected. Unfortunately, there is no sunroof for the new model or option for AWD (only FWD). The price is again, very reasonable and should be attractive to those who want to upgrade from Jap sedans to small/medium SUV.

Very attractive pricing for Made in Japan 7-seater medium-size SUV.
Like my current, expected to be reliable on the road for years.
2nd row aircon now available which is my current biggest pain point!

Too similar exterior and interior to 2015-2017 models.
No AWD/4WD option unlike predecessor models.
Same narrow width like predecessor models esp. for 3rd row.

opgamerkkhk
62 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
Cheap but affordable  Posted on 08 Jun 2018

Cheap in a sense that the quality is sub par to cars like forester,tiguan,x trail. Iterior space is okok,3rd row better than most in the segment.At 125k for the 2.4 it is reasonable. The performance is very average, do not even think about the 2.0, it will be hell.CVT is very whiny, road noise very evident, wind noise almost unacceptable. If lookinfor seven seater should take a look at vw touran or even the grand secnic.

Price,10 year warranty, liveable 3rd row seats

Noise,pretty unbearable,like my last time mx-5(na)
build quality pretty bad
Quiite sluggish if on full load
FC very high,test car 7.2km/l

Evo5sg
28 forum posts Joined on 31-May-2011
Large on the exterior  Posted on 25 Feb 2018

Was looking for a 7-seater to replace Stream.
Car looks big on the outside, but tight inside, especially the last row. I really experienced how Paul's review done in Malaysia for sitting at the last row.
Turn-off for me as I expected it to be better with the bigger exterior.

Tall clearance
Looks big on the outside - road presence

Entry model does not have sunroof
Last row is very tight.
Steering did not feel nice to hold

AndyMichaelsLim
0 forum posts Joined on 06-Jan-2018
Best value 7 seater SUV with 4WD  Posted on 06 Jan 2018

Best value for money, the 4WD gives it a continental feel while driving. Big powerful MIVEC makes the Outlander nimble and great for over taking. The only other 7 seater SUV with 4WD I can think of is the XC90 which costs 300k.

7 Seats! 4WD and SUV looks! Flexible seats configuration is great for hauling large loads especially from Malaysia. It’s practically maintenance free, especially with the 5 year free servicing package and 10 year engine warranty.

Sound proofing can be better, Seats can be more comfortable.

opgamerkkhk
62 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
Rugged SUV  Posted on 20 Nov 2016

This car is very practical for daily need as well.

ELECTRIC PARK BRAKE

SMALL SUN ROOF

fungyee77
489 forum posts Joined on 16-Aug-2014
Good looking functional 7 seater  Posted on 06 Nov 2016

Outlander is an attractive, muscular looking 7 seater SUV.

Priced attractively, with a 5yr warranty/10-y powertrain warranty, it ticks a lot of boxes. Its a relatively light vehicle in its class, hence gets reasonable fuel economy and acceptable power from its 2.4L engine.

The 3rd row seats are tight, but has slightly more legroom (but less visibility due to window shape) than the X-trail.

The interior design was a bit of let down though. Design feels rather dated and has mostly hard plastics through the cabin, and NVH insulation is light.

All in, think its a good practical option, but scores more modestly in the refinement stakes.

- Muscular external design

- NVH insulation

mrkkhk
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Aug-2016
Best car ever under 125k  Posted on 13 Oct 2016

Compared this car to an subaru outback when coe prices dipped,this was better due to the fact that it is more stylish as well as having a ten year engine warranty or 200000km warranty

sunroof,smooth engine revs,spacious 3rd row seats as compared to the nissan xtrail,all wheel drive

the large rims which may cost a little more to replace

Eclipse1
180 forum posts Joined on 03-May-2006
Best value 5+2seater around  Posted on 05 Sep 2016

Tested the car on a rainy day. SE allowed a longer drive as not much customer around. Managed to get onto the highway.
CVT + paddle shifters doesn't seems to work that well, preferred a Auto box with paddle shifters but Economy pushed most company to do CVT for better FC.

off the line, the car is laggy, probably due to its weight. Tested the older version of Outlander too, but that CVT + shifter seems to work better and was more energetic.

Car does roll about alot.

7 Seat option good for kids. My 7 and 10 yrs loves the space on the rear row. 2nd row is spacious. Getting to the 3rd for adult is difficult.

2nd row flows flat and is easily done, using when buying big stuffs or bringing bikes along.

size, not too big but still move 5+2
Engine is smooth and quite, well tested engine from the Mitsubishi stable.

too much chrome on the exterior, would matt black all the chrome parts.
CVT + Shifter is slow and noisy
blindspot on the rear window panel is very tight.

Little_prince
2Fast2Furious
19212 forum posts Joined on 20-Jan-2009
Very under rated car  Posted on 23 Aug 2016

Generally online feedback for the outlander was quite average. But my experience driving it for a week was quite decent.

Although some people complaint abt Power but it was adequate for me.

Space wise was excellent.

5yr Warranty and 10yr engine warranty is probably the best in class.

Very value for money!

Interior Space

Very masculine Front grill.

Warranty

Road tax

mrkkhk
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Aug-2016
Definitely Best Car Under $120k  Posted on 20 Aug 2016

Just collected new car,it has 165hp giving the car boost and head start when it goes off the line,century sprint in 10.2 sec,great car with good fc.it has better third row space compared to wish, mzd 5,x trail and carens which are all cars i am deeply serious in buying as nissan gave me a very attractive price as i was driving the elgrand.so far no problems with the car,more than just adequate hp even when full loaded.consider it seriously please,very reliable!!!!Has 5=+5 years of warranty,not a single thing to worry about.guaranteed,comfort,excitement,thrill,space.very spacious boot when 3rd row unused.if compared to other competitors around the same price, i would say it is the x trail,which is severely under powered,however the zero gravity seats were extremely comfortable as compared to my old e250. Should definitely consider this car when looking for 7 seater . Many features available.

1.AIRCON
2.ENGINE POWER
3.STEERING,ROAD FEEDBACK
4.LOOKS
5. HIGH QUALITY INTERIOR AS COMPARED TO PREVIOUS VERSION BEFORE GETTING THE FACELIFT
6. VERY CONTI FEEL WHEN DRIVING THE CAR
7.RELIABILITY
8.CHEAP SERVICING
9.GOOD SERVICE FROM C&C
10.ALL ROUNDER
11. AWD

1.NO ELECTRICAL MIRRORS WHICH ARE COMMONLY FOUND,MIGHT BE A PROBLEM WHEN IN OPEN CARPARK DURING RAINY DAYS
2.ROAD TAX
3.FC

Hamiles69
27 forum posts Joined on 18-Apr-2012
Excellent Car and Value for money  Posted on 31 Jul 2016

Collected my new car and has been driving for a week. Very comfort car. Enjoy the driving. The car horsepower is adequate. Most importantly is the quietness of the car while driving. The interior noise level is really reduced a lot. Excellent improvement from MIT.

This is the most economically car to buy if you consider for 2.4L 7-seater SUV. Price wise definitely cheaper than the branded similar SUV yet you get lots of features such as auto tailgate, DRL, AWD, 7 seater, 5 star Euro NCAP Rating.....

Auto tailgate
Cruise control
7-seater
7 SRS airbag
5-star Euro NCAP rating
Paddle Shifter
start-stop engine button
4WD

no rear airco (But aircon from the front panel is adequate)
Road tax expensive.