Related Articles

Kia Niro sets Guinness World Record

European debut of the all new Kia Niro

Kia ranks highest overall in Initial Quality Study

24 car-related fees to rise from 20th December

Car Review - Kia Niro Hybrid 1.6 (A)
27 Feb 2017  |  Kia Reviews
Kia's very first hybrid offering - the Niro - offers up a tantalising combination of crossover practicality and utility with hybrid frugality and affordability.
   Consumer Reviews of Kia Niro Hybrid

3.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
4/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
5 out of 6 (83.3%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

SOULSTER1989
Premium User SOULSTER1989
0 forum posts Joined on 23-Jun-2012
Feature Rich and Performs Beyond Expectations  Posted on 07 Oct 2017

Having bought the vehicle in Jul 17, this car has simply outperformed my expectations. Had looked around for a sporty and economical SUV/MPV, and was choosing between the Citroen C4 Picasso and the Niro. What made me swing towards the Niro is its cheaper and has more features that many other models at the same price point does not offer.

And the sweetener when driving this car is the FC! Sure i can achieve 26km/l and more if drive most of the time on 60km/h, but real world driving comes to abt 20-23km/l depending on your foot. In ECO-mode, the take off is slightly sluggish, but when it cruises, its a very comfortable drive, easy to overtake if you need that bit more push. In Sports-mode, its really rev ready, has alot of torque to really propel you forward from the get go.

Overall, i am very satisfied owner of this vehicle, having driven it for 3 months and its still surprising me with its performance.

+ FC at 20-23 km/l
+ Ventilated Seats
+ Relatively quiet cabin, well insulated
+ Driver memory Seats (2 settings)
+ Blind Spot detection
+ Reverse Camera
+ Multi-zone Aircon
+ Rear Aircon
+ Sunroof

- Windscreen abit smaller than usual Cars
- 5" Infotainment screen, as compared to overseas models
- No Apple/Android Connectivity
- Boot not flushed to the edge
- 16" Stock Rims

toyotapower
0 forum posts Joined on 25-May-2015
Feature rich, good looking hybrid  Posted on 26 Apr 2017

One of the better looking hybrids out on the market now, the Niro packs a ton of features into a relatively affordable package imo.

As expected from a hybrid, fuel economy is amazing and it should be cheap to run long term. You get better figures in eco mode but that's pretty dull tbh. In sport mode, this thing really punches above its weight but it gets pretty loud.

This car also comes with quite a number of features, my favourite being ventilated seats. I hate getting a sweaty butt while driving.

Feature rich
Punchy engine
Amazing fuel economy
Doesn't look like any other hybrid

Eco mode doesn't move the car much

nirofan
15 forum posts Joined on 09-Apr-2017
Best looking hybrid Crossover  Posted on 09 Apr 2017

Hi,

The Niro, I think is an excellent car in Singapore's driving conditions. Test drove an enjoyed it. Obviously, Cycle and Carriage has considered the cost and brought in a car with a lot of good stuff. But, the most disappointing item as a lot of you has mentioned is the 5 inch head unit which does not come with navigation. I think no other car in Singapore comes with 5 inch TFT screen. I supposed one of the reason for the small screen, is it does not intent to bring the Niro in with GPS and navigation.

But, one of the key features of the NIro which allows it to save fuel, is Predictive Energy control.

"Predictive Energy Control uses the navigation and cruise-control systems “To anticipate topographical changes on the road ahead and actively manage energy flow,” As well as determine when conditions are optimal to recharge the battery and when it’S better to apply stored energy toward the wheels."

I know Singapore has not much terrain but without navigation, the Niro is lacking a key feature of the car. And of course the disappointing 5 inch screen.

In the UK, US and Europe, the minimum screen size is 7 inches and even in the basic car it has navigation to allow the Predictive Energy Control feature to be utilised.

Just my thought and feedback for Cycle and Carriage. Anyway, I have ordered a Niro.

Thanks, Cheers

Everything

5 inch head unit without navigation

Ian1
Premium User Ian1
138 forum posts Joined on 23-Apr-2013
Deceitful Marketing, Devious Pricing  Posted on 09 Apr 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Test drove the Niro at the local agent.

Was considering this as a second car to run household errands. MY main car being for work in town and meeting business associates. As I work in investment banking where image is relatively important, thus need to keep my beemer 7-series.

When I was ready to sign on the line for the Niro, the local agent sprung a surprise. They told me I had to pay a surcharge of $10,000 above the list price.

Instead of the advertised $116,999, they wanted me to pay $126,999. While most local dealers in Spore knock off anywhere between $3,000 (small Japanese cars) to $40,000 (German and Luxury cars) from their list price, Kia slaps a surcharge.

I was told that in order to pay list / advertise price, I must surrender my existing car to them, as well as, forced to take maximum loan over maximum period.

I got upset with their terms and walked off.

1. Car able to stay on EV mode for a reasonable amount of time.

2. Sunroof and heated seats and steering

3. Nice speedometer and dials

1. Useless boot space, not meaningful enought to put in anything substantial

2. Awful local agent and deceptive pricing

3. Slow pickup

4. Low top speed of about only 160km/hr

5. Poor soundproofing and road noise comes into the cabin

6. Ridiculously small centre Screen / Monitor

7. Poor build quality as I could already hear rattling sound from within the cabin from cheap plastic and poor assembly on the brand new test drive car.

8. At this price range $126,999 for Kia Niro, the Toyota Prius, Honda Vezel Hybrid is a much better car costing $20,000 less.

Mervynwm
Premium User Mervynwm
34 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
An Astorishing Hybrid.  Posted on 21 Feb 2017

Tested this hybrid after saw it from recent Motor Show, the 1st looks, I must say is captivating against fellow Asian SUV or CrossOver hybrid group like C-HR and Vezel.

The styling and exterior design is certainly a looker should you drive on the streets, it should keep many surprised that its a Korean make than the conventional mindset of a continental make.

Interior is a feature packed car of a typical Korean, giving almost to everything a driver can think of like heated seats, auto headlights and rain sensors, and many more...

On the drive, I was surprised that the engine start is almost to no noise compared to other hybrids I tried, absolutely not even slightest vibration too until the sales told me its started.

The drive off is almost immediate for this hybrid, no jerking at all. The usual D drive is smooth and gear changes are soundless too.

Cornering and turning radius for this chap is almost to perfection, perhaps learning from the conti makers.

When switch to manual +/-, you can feel this car literately sprang to life, giving you the absolute control over the gearbox and throttle, instantly lowering and engaging the gears are of no issue as its almost instantaneously acknowledged and given, thus making you to hope it can be the actual 6-speed manual gearbox.

In summary, this hybrid is a good to get for its 3 main reasons :

- Good Engine performance with dual clutch gearbox
- Good drive with nice exterior styling and interior features given
- Good drive and handling

- LED Projection lights
- Wireless Charger
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
- Dual Clutch Gearbox
- Most quiet engine start among Hybrids
- Rear aircon included
- Min cosmetics included like scuff plates
- Reverse camera well hidden under rear wiper
- Tyre Pressure Monitor included
- Electric memory seats for driver
- When reverse, the box moves with steering, known as IPAS
- Able to on/off parking sensors and BSD (frankly I won't off them)
- Nicely featured driver dash info which is not cluttered or too much info

- No panaromic sunroof as option
- No option to change to a better player as standard model is too small
- No electric brake
- No electric tailgate option
- No boot protector given
- No front sensing option
- No passenger electric memory seats as standard

vwlover
0 forum posts Joined on 25-May-2011
Best looking hybrid crossover  Posted on 16 Feb 2017

I test drove the Kia Niro and I love the sleek design. Who says all hybrids have to look boxy and downright ugly?

Fuel economy on the Niro is amazing, but that's to be expected from a hybrid. However, in eco mode it really doesn't move much. But put it in sport mode and you'll feel all 139bhp. The engine does get quite loud under hard acceleration though.

The instrument cluster display also shows some pretty interesting stuff like a driving style meter, which shows your economical/normal/aggressive driving percentages.

Fuel economy