Related Articles

Exploring the importance of the new Toyota Harrier

The launch of the new turbocharged Toyota Harrier

Honda SUV model leads parallel import sales

Five of the priciest places to park in town

Car Review - Toyota Harrier 2.0 Premium (A)
08 Aug 2017  |  Toyota Reviews
What's the big deal with the Toyota Harrier? As we find out, it's because the car is deeply impressive and legitimately capable.
vs

4.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
4/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
6 out of 8 (75%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

alphard96
Premium User alphard96
928 forum posts Joined on 14-Jun-2014
Harrier turbo will be the Best selling SUV?  Posted on 02 Sep 2017

In my opinion, a safe and good buy for a premium SUV - definitely better than the non facelift/non turbo model.

1) Bright adaptive front LED headlights with useful cornering lights - one of the brightest
2) Powerful instantaneous smooth acceleration, with reasonable FC.
3) Userfriendly toyota safety sense - really works, safer.
4) Bomb proof reliability expected (hopefully).
5) Relatively spacious interior compare to its competitor/within the same price bracket.
6) Interior LED lights - white and bright enough
7) convenient Auto Parking Brake.
8) Silence, at cruising speed - as good as some entry level lexus model

1) GPS issues a) v poor reception b) heading direction not fully straight ahead (?setting)
2) Radio - not really digital
3) Memory seat - not linked to side mirrors (surprised!)
4) Rear signal lights normal bulb, should be at least LED, or best sequential too
5) Rear fog lights not available (option not install)
6) Moonroof to fully closed need to press twice!
7) Rear doors - No safety lights, no keyless lock/unlock (only front doors)
8) No reverse tilt for both side mirrors
9) absent of BSM/RTA - blind spot monitor for side mirrors
10) The pearl white code 070 is the usual standard toyota, good/nice but perhaps should offer some alternative/choice eg white flakes or lexus purplish white
11) perhaps ottoman seat for front passenger seat (like in alphard?)
12) or pehaps factory fitted side window blinds for rear passengers (manual good enough, no need electric).

Mervynwm
Premium User Mervynwm
34 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
The TURBO Harrier that lacks it.  Posted on 04 Aug 2017

Went to agent and try out the Harrier recently...

1st looks can pretty much tell the distinct difference in the grills. There are 3 variants which 2 are similar to PI, Elegance and Premium but have a full all in call Luxury.

The drive off was similar to the PI one that I tried earlier.

The agent model comes on a newly improved engine with 227bhp TURBO with ECT while PI comes with 149bhp with CVT which I don't feel the PUSH of the engine when move off on the agent one which same to the PI.

The PUSH did not even kick in when I attempt to overtake which I was pondering where have the claimed 78 extra horses and the claimed TURBO had went to...Quite disappointed on this.

The Luxury model where fully equipped are thrown all in at S$160k (as of July 2017) can be pretty hefty price to consider.

The back to back comparison for Elegance & Premium with PI seems a price tag difference where frankly when you drive both on the road, which no one bothers yours is AD or PI where the cash savings matters to some extend on the practical side.

Overall, for deeper pockets you might want to look at agent's model with many gadgets to have with, but for those that are savings conscious, the PI ones serves the same purpose too as the both engines doesn't seem to make a difference despite the new comer model claiming the improved power and more horses on the run.

A different front grill to differentiate PI and AD models
Memory tailgate
Electric parking
Adaptive LED lights
English console
Factory Sensing package (Lane departure, High beam, Pre-Collision, etc.)
Hill assist
Driver Memory seats (both for Luxury models)
Long warranty (5 std and 7 for Luxury), is it necessary ?

Engine pickup laggy
Doesn't feel of the 227bhp
High Price tag

richard_crl032
Premium User richard_crl032
1581 forum posts Joined on 30-Aug-2014
Harrier Turbo - Almost !  Posted on 01 Aug 2017

Long version .... Hard not to notice the harrier since so many around and it looks good with presence. I then had the chance to drive my FIL's top of the range from vincar for 2 weekends to fix the disable stopstart module and blindspot monitoring system but found it to be lacking in power, noisy when pushed, rides like a clumsy SUV against CO's 1.2L qashqai and quaint interior that lags also behind the qashqai .. I myself had been driving the souped up estima with full cusco bars, trd sports suspension etc. But need to change as it is due 10 yrs in Nov 2017. With this release of harrier turbo with 350Nm/227bhp, improved suspension and 6 speed non-cvt gearbox against reported cvt failure of non turbo PI version, I had no doubt on getting one and hence the first few who placed the sgd3k deposit as well as test drive it.

Was also aware of the subaru FXT since kaki just collected his black edition in Apr 2017 as well as my neighbour having the FNA since 2016 but obvious to all that its aesthetic appeal is such that I did not bother to test drive it as a likely new car replacement .... Until I compared the similar 350Nm/240bhp specification. Proceeded to test drive it while waiting for the harrier turbo and wow, that is how a 350Nm/240 1.6ton+ SUV feels ... Nice !

Then back to finally test drive the harrier turbo and what happened to the 350Nm/227Nm ? Response was lacking and the handling is still distinctly a bulky SUV ?? The same quaint interior with washing machine touch controls did not help but worse was those suede or Alca something seat material which looks unslightly, dirty and dust magnet against good old leather ...It was then the non available luxury model instead of the tested "Premium" Version.

Still wanted the harrier turbo and borrowed kaki's FXT for 2 days since I may had been overwhelmed initially by its 350Nm/240bhp and even drove it to test drive the harrier turbo for the 2nd time while nego on the FXT with trade in discount. Again the Harrier turbo is nowhere near the ease of pickup and overall easy ride and that sealed the deal on the FXT... And it did not help that I am also pissed due to no significant perks of being one who put the sgd3k deposit as even walk-in customers on the 1st and 2nd test drive 8 days later the same price and zero trade in.

- Turbo charged 350Nm/227, upgraded suspension and non-CVT gearbox like PI's non turbo version that some reported failure
- AD with no anxiety of some cases fraud or delivery issues by PIs
- AD guaranteed aftersales warranty and service
- Competitive pricing against PI's non turbo and pre facelift version still being sold

- Tuning of standard defaulted of 350Nm/227bhp lacking response ... wakes up only at highest sport setting but bulky feel of SUV showed
- Unsightly and dust magnet suede laced seats ... need luxury version with Napa leather
- washing machine like touch control and quaint interior

Fintan
Premium User Fintan
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2017
Why The Harrier Turbo  Posted on 05 Dec 2017

Why the Harrier Turbo, well simply put, its the Turbo! The new Harrier that has just become available this year in Singapore from Borneo Motors the Main agent has a different engine than all the parallel imported ones. All the PI Harriers are 149 BHP, the Turbo version, which is a totally different engine derived from the Lexus NX is 227 BHP. The Harrier is a big and long car, it needs the extra horses, and the new Harrier Turbo is just right. For the last few years in Singapore I drove a Golf GTI, so I like to have a bit of power, and the change to the Harrier Turbo was great, ok, its a bit softer, especially on the corners, but its quiet, very quiet, and super comfortable. It feels very solid and reassuring to drive, and I know there are many more expensive "More luxurious" SUV's on the market with bigger engines and more HP, but this doesn't need any more HP and feels really high quality for a lot less than a Range Rover Velar, Porsche Macan or a Jaguar F Pace. Even if I had the money, I would find it hard to justify the extra dollars for the prestige of the "European Badge" And I'm European!!! I also feel that the the Euro SUV's have become too computerized, and some of the driving positions feel like cockpits rather than car driving positions, amazingly the Toyota Harrier has lots of tech, but still feels like a car not a video game, well done Toyota!! This acr is quick enough, comfortable enough and quiet enough that when I'm at the lights between the Porsche and the Range Rover, it make me feel good that I didn't spend another $100-400K on my car for not much extra. I really don't need four wheel drive in Singapore, ever. I really don't need 400 BHP in Singapore ever. If you are in the market for a premium SUV, make sure you test drive a Harrier Turbo, its the thinking persons SUV.

Comfort, Style, Power, and anticipated long term reliability.

Not much, they have this car pretty right.

Sci90179
Premium User Sci90179
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Jun-2012
Poor service by Borneo motor  Posted on 07 Nov 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Car is so popular that you will have to wait for it. Sales person was extremely pushy and make not attempt to sell me the features of the car but keep “Insulting” My current car and telling me my car trade in value is only a few thousands above the scrap value even though it’S not due for scrap until 2019. I am driving a Mercedes Benz E class. Oh by the way even if you drive a Maserati the value of the trade in is also near its scrap value according to this salesperson. A great car but a pity was marketed by a really terrible salesperson.

LancerJay
80 forum posts Joined on 18-Aug-2005
Turbo Lag is Myth Busted!  Posted on 13 Oct 2017

Went down to Leng Kee road yesterday to test drive the harrier Turbo, was mentally expecting the harrier to be laggy with the turbo, but to my surprise, the car accelerates like a violent beast. Without a warning i bitted 100km without realising it!

Don't get me wrong, my current ride is a IS250 (08) and the harrier feels more powerful and responsive than my IS250, maybe my driving pattern allows me to have full control over the full range of turbo on my feet. I felt that this harrier can deliver the power while sipping petrol. Its rare indeed.

The interior reminds me of the time when i first saw the 7 series - very classy. The moonroof is pleasantly huge and beautiful.

-Luxury interior feel, handsome outlook
-Violent yet controlled turbo beast like acceleration.
-11-13 Km/L fuel economy based on users
-Toyota never break down
-Big Boot!
-Very comfy seats at the front, feels like sitting on a chair, while having the most commanding view of the front.
-Very comfy seats at the back, 4 way recline settings, while having the most enjoyable view of the sky Via the large moonroof
-Great handing, i always feels the tires at the ground even i am sitting high up at the seats.

No other brands are as reliable as the Toyota, making secondary choices simply not a option.
I recall going broke for my BMW repairs before, maybe that is why i always wonder why should i pay a higher priced car, just to pay a higher price repair later. As if taking a gun and shoot myself in the foot (twice). there again, just my 2 cents.

Silver6756
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Absolutely no brainier at this price range  Posted on 07 Sep 2017

My original target was new the XC60, when the prerelease ads of Harrier Turbo showed up - things changed quickly.

At this price point, the interior, exterior finishing, safety features, Lexus breed engine, make the overall package absolutely convincing.

Everything

Nothing at this price point

Fudanjx
1 forum posts Joined on 05-May-2009
Engine does not match to its spec  Posted on 31 Aug 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Just test drive the Harrier Turbo last Sunday. Compared to FXT and Lexus RX turbo, all at 2.0T category, you will feel the harrier turbo engine does not has the turbo power. The sales man claim it uses the same model 2.0T turbo engine as Lexus, but with only slightly lower output. However, when you behind the wheel, you can not feel the turbo push. It feel like a normal SUV with around 160HP output level.

Interior, exterior, nice and luxury feel.
Luxury version has the ventilated seats, very useful in SG climate. Although I did not have the chance to test it.

Engine performance.
Price, BM is unwilling to give discount to make the deal sweeter, even when I and my friend plan to buy 2 harriers together.

Toyota Harrier