Related Articles

Honda SUV model leads parallel import sales

Exploring the importance of the new Toyota Harrier

The launch of the new turbocharged Toyota Harrier

Parallel Importers with lots of experience

Car Review - Toyota Harrier 2.0 Premium (A)
08 Aug 2017  |  Toyota Reviews
What's the big deal with the Toyota Harrier? As we find out, it's because the car is deeply impressive and legitimately capable.
vs

4/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
4/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
13 out of 15 (86.7%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Wasteland
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Jul-2019
Little brother of Lexus NX  Posted on 08 Sep 2019

Same engine and platform as Lexus NX, but at a lower price.

The difference does not stop there, however this is not a comparison report, so let's get to the good and bad about the new harrier turbo.

Finally a turbo car from toyota a different shift in mindset at last. The suv looks pretty good looking, if it's mod with after market body kit would look nice.

Interior is pretty standepard Toyota laid out, nothing fancy, typical head unit. It could do better on the interior if it wants to win the competition.

2 liter engine is good enough for the size and weight, but don't exepct a rocket pocket. On the roads it can hold its own when it needs to over take.

Comes with safety sensing features, which is common on days with Honda also.

What I do t like is the shift stick which seems seems too tall, should make it lower and sportier.

- turbo engine
- nice looking car with potential for body kit
- potential for tuning since it's a turbo car
- family size car, yet can be sporty if you need it to be
- Toyota safety featrues
- another option for Lexus NX, alhtougtthe seats are not as comfortable as the NX

- stability can be better
- shift stick can be lower, I find the height weird and looks ugly
- dashboard and head unit dated looks, should be more innovative, look at the core he competition

LYC
LYC
193 forum posts Joined on 11-Jan-2012
Comparing the Harrier against the New Rav4  Posted on 10 Feb 2019

Test drove the Harrier back to back against the new Rav4. Although the engine is more powerful then the 2.0NA Rav4, it lacks the punch from the 2.0T engine. On paper, the harrier looks impressive, but when driving, the car does not really matches up. Both the interior and exterior starts to look dated when comparing to the other newer models in the market. Infotainment system is also starting to look old.

However, if you are looking for a reliable workhorse that will last the entire COE period without the need for major repairs, this car is definitely suitable for you.

The huge sunroof
Toyota's overall reliability
Toyota's safety suite comes as standard on all models

Pricing when compared to similar models
Both interior and exterior is starting to look dated
The drive is not as impressive as what is reflected on the papers

Blueangel71
5 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
A Decent SUV  Posted on 29 Jan 2019

I've started to get bored with saloon car after driving it for the last 20 years. So was hunting for a SUV or MPV for a change and also to give more space for my children who are growing.

I personally prefer Mercedes GLC 250 which is more stylish but I do not wish to spend more than $200k for a car again. Also, although conti cars are better in terms of performance but they are so unreliable after driving 2 different German brands. So back to basic, Japanese car (although I did consider Korean)

Was contemplating between Subaru Forester and Toyota Harrier (although I test drove Honda Odyssey but wasn't impressed by its price $170k+ and its features). Also, consider Skoda Kodiaq but the mark up for profit was about 34% And unsure about its resale value in the future. Also tried Kia Sorrento but it was powered by 2.2l diesel. I still could not get used to the rattle sound of diesel engine although it is pleasant and smooth during my test drive. Chose Harrier over Forrester because Turbo version for Forrester was no longer available and the mark up was something over 30% (info. From Sgcarmart) which I thought was high. Since Agent is now carrying this model and with Turbo and having drove my friend's P.I. Harrier for a week, I thought it was decent for me to consider it. Also, mark up over cost at the time of buying (Apr 18) was 13% Which I believe is more reasonable compared with other brands.

So having drove for about 9 months, I would say it is a decent ride.

- "Hold" button which I can release my foot away from brake pedal during idling time
- decent fuel consumption for a 2 litre car
- "Turbo" but acceleration is not as good as conti car as my past 2 vehicles performed better
- Engine is not noisy

- Bumpy over uneven roads or running over some manhole covers. Suspension is poor
- Infotainment unit is outdated. Screen too small and software especially GPS is poor
- Paintwork is poor, edges start to peel off which is bad.
- "Auto off" - a feature meant to save fuel but not good for our city driving where our travel is always in start-stop situation. Very bad for car but fortunately it can be overwritten
- Fuel tank is too small for a 2 litre car. I fill up one full tank is about 50-55 litre. I would expect 60-70 litre tank so end up need to fill up quite frequently although fuel consumption is reasonable.

Gabdat
251 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Nice car to drive  Posted on 04 Nov 2018

When down to test this car.Indeed it was well worth the time.Only downside was that the SE that served us was..Well..Slightly unprofessional.

-panoramic sunroof
-smooth engine and gear box
-spacious
-Toyota Safety Sense
-powerful air-con
-muscular design
-reliability

-body roll
-seats not as comfortable as i thought
-no driver memory seats
-key feels flimsy
-SE.i have to admit it was not the best service that i got.can be more friendlier and informative
-gear knob on the showroom set was stolen.yes,no gear knob

Skyze
32 forum posts Joined on 11-Oct-2010
Third Car I have owned, and the best yet!  Posted on 29 Oct 2018

Having driven a Suzuki Swift (hatchback), Chevrolet Cruze (Sedan) and now the Harrier (SUV), it was a natural upgrade due to my burgeoning family size which required more space.

The Harrier was a car that was highly recommended by a colleague who had driven 3 different editions previously and he had nothing but good things to say about the car. As such, I decided to test drive the car and fell in love immediately.

Might be a personal thing, but I preferred the Harrier looks over Mazda CX5 and even Mercedes GLC as it looks sleeker and less cumbersome.

The Turbo (227bhp) is powerful enough to let you overtake and accelerate with ease, and you won't even hear the engine roar as you speed past the other vehicles on the road. Mind you, I am a family man and appreciate the silence and ease of acceleration while my kids play and rest in the back seat. If you are looking for a car with stronger acceleration and more bite, this might not be the car for you.

Based on a normal driving pattern, I am usually able to hit 100km/hr with revs at approx 1500 to 1800. This usually takes me about 10 secs from standstill (Normal mode, I haven't tried Sports mode yet).

Eco mode, on the other hand, is meant to save fuel and you can feel the significant lag in pick up speed. I had only used this mode once when I was in no real hurry to get to my destination. Otherwise, 99% Of the time, Normal mode will suffice.

Steering is light as compared to my previous "Continental" Ride (Cruze) but in a way, I am starting to appreciate being able to turn the wheel with ease (sometimes with one hand).

There are more and more Harriers on the roads and there is a good reason why. I simply love this car for all that it is worth

Turbo engine at 227bhp
Low price point (when compared to other similar high powered cars)
Extremely quiet engine (Eco and Normal mode)
Japanese made
Rear reclining seats for the comfort of my family
Sun roof which my wife loves
Electric tail gate which my son loves to play with.
High view, feels like you are in more control of the road and your drive
Toyota Safety Sense which increases road safety as you drive
Almost flat rear flooring (not much of transmission bump on the centre floor) which makes for increased comfort in seating if you regularly fetch full load of passengers (my whole family, for example)

Not able to change interior colour (standard black as the car is Japan made and no customisation is allowed)
LED sequential running lights only for the front. Will be best if the sequential lights are also appllied for the rear.
Standard Toyota paint protection coating is as good as non-existent (still had to find my regular detailer to do a proper job)

Jeff0704
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Jun-2008
Best Car I've Owned  Posted on 02 Oct 2018

Driven the Harrier 2.0T for the past 6 months.

Comfort wise, it beats a lot of more expensive cars hands down.

Interior space wise, it is top of its class.

Drive wise, it is good. This car is heavy due to lots of safety features. The pick up is not bad. During turning, do note it is a SUV.

Comfort. Space. Looks.

None at this moment.

suvdriveps
0 forum posts Joined on 03-Feb-2018
The Toyota reliability is a selling point but….  Posted on 03 Feb 2018

Almost a buy but the quality feels tin-like and expensive for a Toyota. The interior is the not a selling point, it does try to be premium but feels a bit boring and drab. It feels like no change from the Toyota SUVs of the mid 2000s. Another issue is that its very hard to find any global agency crash test ratings which puts a question mark on safety as its now the same platform as the RAV4 and away from the Lexus platform. The engine package however is pretty decent but the exterior body doesn't seem to match the short wheelbase, which creates unbalanced handling. The body width is also pretty narrow for the height which compromise stability. So Toyota maybe reliable but the body structure/wheel base combo is almost deal breaker.

-Sequential signal lights
-2.0L turbo engine
-Large sunroof
-Toyota reliability

-Dreary dull interior which looks outdated
-Leather / suede seats not appealing
-Unbalanced short and narrow wheelbase vs a long and high body structure
-No global saftey / crash test ratings
-Exterior design is also outdated
-Doors seem light and thin
-Pricing for this package, might as well get the cheaper Rav4 as they are quite similar. Lacks premium features for premium pricing.

Fintan
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2017
Why The Harrier Turbo  Posted on 05 Dec 2017

Why the Harrier Turbo, well simply put, its the Turbo! The new Harrier that has just become available this year in Singapore from Borneo Motors the Main agent has a different engine than all the parallel imported ones. All the PI Harriers are 149 BHP, the Turbo version, which is a totally different engine derived from the Lexus NX is 227 BHP. The Harrier is a big and long car, it needs the extra horses, and the new Harrier Turbo is just right. For the last few years in Singapore I drove a Golf GTI, so I like to have a bit of power, and the change to the Harrier Turbo was great, ok, its a bit softer, especially on the corners, but its quiet, very quiet, and super comfortable. It feels very solid and reassuring to drive, and I know there are many more expensive "More luxurious" SUV's on the market with bigger engines and more HP, but this doesn't need any more HP and feels really high quality for a lot less than a Range Rover Velar, Porsche Macan or a Jaguar F Pace. Even if I had the money, I would find it hard to justify the extra dollars for the prestige of the "European Badge" And I'm European!!! I also feel that the the Euro SUV's have become too computerized, and some of the driving positions feel like cockpits rather than car driving positions, amazingly the Toyota Harrier has lots of tech, but still feels like a car not a video game, well done Toyota!! This acr is quick enough, comfortable enough and quiet enough that when I'm at the lights between the Porsche and the Range Rover, it make me feel good that I didn't spend another $100-400K on my car for not much extra. I really don't need four wheel drive in Singapore, ever. I really don't need 400 BHP in Singapore ever. If you are in the market for a premium SUV, make sure you test drive a Harrier Turbo, its the thinking persons SUV.

Comfort, Style, Power, and anticipated long term reliability.

Not much, they have this car pretty right.

Sci90179
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Jun-2012
Poor service by Borneo motor  Posted on 07 Nov 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Car is so popular that you will have to wait for it. Sales person was extremely pushy and make not attempt to sell me the features of the car but keep “Insulting” My current car and telling me my car trade in value is only a few thousands above the scrap value even though it’S not due for scrap until 2019. I am driving a Mercedes Benz E class. Oh by the way even if you drive a Maserati the value of the trade in is also near its scrap value according to this salesperson. A great car but a pity was marketed by a really terrible salesperson.

LancerJay
81 forum posts Joined on 18-Aug-2005
Turbo Lag is Myth Busted!  Posted on 13 Oct 2017

Went down to Leng Kee road yesterday to test drive the harrier Turbo, was mentally expecting the harrier to be laggy with the turbo, but to my surprise, the car accelerates like a violent beast. Without a warning i bitted 100km without realising it!

Don't get me wrong, my current ride is a IS250 (08) and the harrier feels more powerful and responsive than my IS250, maybe my driving pattern allows me to have full control over the full range of turbo on my feet. I felt that this harrier can deliver the power while sipping petrol. Its rare indeed.

The interior reminds me of the time when i first saw the 7 series - very classy. The moonroof is pleasantly huge and beautiful.

-Luxury interior feel, handsome outlook
-Violent yet controlled turbo beast like acceleration.
-11-13 Km/L fuel economy based on users
-Toyota never break down
-Big Boot!
-Very comfy seats at the front, feels like sitting on a chair, while having the most commanding view of the front.
-Very comfy seats at the back, 4 way recline settings, while having the most enjoyable view of the sky Via the large moonroof
-Great handing, i always feels the tires at the ground even i am sitting high up at the seats.

No other brands are as reliable as the Toyota, making secondary choices simply not a option.
I recall going broke for my BMW repairs before, maybe that is why i always wonder why should i pay a higher priced car, just to pay a higher price repair later. As if taking a gun and shoot myself in the foot (twice). there again, just my 2 cents.

Silver6756
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Absolutely no brainier at this price range  Posted on 07 Sep 2017

My original target was new the XC60, when the prerelease ads of Harrier Turbo showed up - things changed quickly.

At this price point, the interior, exterior finishing, safety features, Lexus breed engine, make the overall package absolutely convincing.

Everything

Nothing at this price point

alphard96
935 forum posts Joined on 14-Jun-2014
Harrier turbo will be the Best selling SUV?  Posted on 02 Sep 2017

In my opinion, a safe and good buy for a premium SUV - definitely better than the non facelift/non turbo model.

1) Bright adaptive front LED headlights with useful cornering lights - one of the brightest
2) Powerful instantaneous smooth acceleration, with reasonable FC.
3) Userfriendly toyota safety sense - really works, safer.
4) Bomb proof reliability expected (hopefully).
5) Relatively spacious interior compare to its competitor/within the same price bracket.
6) Interior LED lights - white and bright enough
7) convenient Auto Parking Brake.
8) Silence, at cruising speed - as good as some entry level lexus model

1) GPS issues a) v poor reception b) heading direction not fully straight ahead (?setting)
2) Radio - not really digital
3) Memory seat - not linked to side mirrors (surprised!)
4) Rear signal lights normal bulb, should be at least LED, or best sequential too
5) Rear fog lights not available (option not install)
6) Moonroof to fully closed need to press twice!
7) Rear doors - No safety lights, no keyless lock/unlock (only front doors)
8) No reverse tilt for both side mirrors
9) absent of BSM/RTA - blind spot monitor for side mirrors
10) The pearl white code 070 is the usual standard toyota, good/nice but perhaps should offer some alternative/choice eg white flakes or lexus purplish white
11) perhaps ottoman seat for front passenger seat (like in alphard?)
12) or pehaps factory fitted side window blinds for rear passengers (manual good enough, no need electric).

Fudanjx
6 forum posts Joined on 05-May-2009
Engine does not match to its spec  Posted on 31 Aug 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Just test drive the Harrier Turbo last Sunday. Compared to FXT and Lexus RX turbo, all at 2.0T category, you will feel the harrier turbo engine does not has the turbo power. The sales man claim it uses the same model 2.0T turbo engine as Lexus, but with only slightly lower output. However, when you behind the wheel, you can not feel the turbo push. It feel like a normal SUV with around 160HP output level.

Interior, exterior, nice and luxury feel.
Luxury version has the ventilated seats, very useful in SG climate. Although I did not have the chance to test it.

Engine performance.
Price, BM is unwilling to give discount to make the deal sweeter, even when I and my friend plan to buy 2 harriers together.

Mervynwm
65 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
The TURBO Harrier that lacks it.  Posted on 04 Aug 2017

Went to agent and try out the Harrier recently...

1st looks can pretty much tell the distinct difference in the grills. There are 3 variants which 2 are similar to PI, Elegance and Premium but have a full all in call Luxury.

The drive off was similar to the PI one that I tried earlier.

The agent model comes on a newly improved engine with 227bhp TURBO with ECT while PI comes with 149bhp with CVT which I don't feel the PUSH of the engine when move off on the agent one which same to the PI.

The PUSH did not even kick in when I attempt to overtake which I was pondering where have the claimed 78 extra horses and the claimed TURBO had went to...Quite disappointed on this.

The Luxury model where fully equipped are thrown all in at S$160k (as of July 2017) can be pretty hefty price to consider.

The back to back comparison for Elegance & Premium with PI seems a price tag difference where frankly when you drive both on the road, which no one bothers yours is AD or PI where the cash savings matters to some extend on the practical side.

Overall, for deeper pockets you might want to look at agent's model with many gadgets to have with, but for those that are savings conscious, the PI ones serves the same purpose too as the both engines doesn't seem to make a difference despite the new comer model claiming the improved power and more horses on the run.

A different front grill to differentiate PI and AD models
Memory tailgate
Electric parking
Adaptive LED lights
English console
Factory Sensing package (Lane departure, High beam, Pre-Collision, etc.)
Hill assist
Driver Memory seats (both for Luxury models)
Long warranty (5 std and 7 for Luxury), is it necessary ?

Engine pickup laggy
Doesn't feel of the 227bhp
High Price tag

richard_crl032
4143 forum posts Joined on 30-Aug-2014
Harrier Turbo - Almost !  Posted on 01 Aug 2017

Long version .... Hard not to notice the harrier since so many around and it looks good with presence. I then had the chance to drive my FIL's top of the range from vincar for 2 weekends to fix the disable stopstart module and blindspot monitoring system but found it to be lacking in power, noisy when pushed, rides like a clumsy SUV against CO's 1.2L qashqai and quaint interior that lags also behind the qashqai .. I myself had been driving the souped up estima with full cusco bars, trd sports suspension etc. But need to change as it is due 10 yrs in Nov 2017. With this release of harrier turbo with 350Nm/227bhp, improved suspension and 6 speed non-cvt gearbox against reported cvt failure of non turbo PI version, I had no doubt on getting one and hence the first few who placed the sgd3k deposit as well as test drive it.

Was also aware of the subaru FXT since kaki just collected his black edition in Apr 2017 as well as my neighbour having the FNA since 2016 but obvious to all that its aesthetic appeal is such that I did not bother to test drive it as a likely new car replacement .... Until I compared the similar 350Nm/240bhp specification. Proceeded to test drive it while waiting for the harrier turbo and wow, that is how a 350Nm/240 1.6ton+ SUV feels ... Nice !

Then back to finally test drive the harrier turbo and what happened to the 350Nm/227Nm ? Response was lacking and the handling is still distinctly a bulky SUV ?? The same quaint interior with washing machine touch controls did not help but worse was those suede or Alca something seat material which looks unslightly, dirty and dust magnet against good old leather ...It was then the non available luxury model instead of the tested "Premium" Version.

Still wanted the harrier turbo and borrowed kaki's FXT for 2 days since I may had been overwhelmed initially by its 350Nm/240bhp and even drove it to test drive the harrier turbo for the 2nd time while nego on the FXT with trade in discount. Again the Harrier turbo is nowhere near the ease of pickup and overall easy ride and that sealed the deal on the FXT... And it did not help that I am also pissed due to no significant perks of being one who put the sgd3k deposit as even walk-in customers on the 1st and 2nd test drive 8 days later the same price and zero trade in.

- Turbo charged 350Nm/227, upgraded suspension and non-CVT gearbox like PI's non turbo version that some reported failure
- AD with no anxiety of some cases fraud or delivery issues by PIs
- AD guaranteed aftersales warranty and service
- Competitive pricing against PI's non turbo and pre facelift version still being sold

- Tuning of standard defaulted of 350Nm/227bhp lacking response ... wakes up only at highest sport setting but bulky feel of SUV showed
- Unsightly and dust magnet suede laced seats ... need luxury version with Napa leather
- washing machine like touch control and quaint interior

Toyota Harrier