Toyota Corolla Altis

Car Review - Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 (A)
07 Feb 2014  |  Toyota Reviews
Looking like nothing before, can the 11th generation Toyota Corolla Altis seize back the mid-sized sedan market share it once owned from the Honda Civic?
vs

4/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
3.5/5 Interior Design
3/5 Engine Performance
40 out of 51 (78.4%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.
Login to sgCarMart to submit a review Submit a review

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 ) Next »
opgamerkkhk
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
Not the best compact sedan in market  Posted on 13 Nov 2017

The 10th gen facelifted corolla altis has lots of hard plastic in the cabin namely the dashboard and door panels. The altis gets 7 airbags on higher trims which costs more than something along the likes of honda civic and much more than mazda 3. However, i believe those who owns an Altis desires for more space and reliability instead of driving experience. With poor handling and fuel consumption of 9.8km/l according the the information cluster, it is advisable for buyers to check out the subaru impreza which now has a 2.0 trim for less than 120k which costs around the same as the top trim level altis. Furthermore, the more high tech, fuel efficient, more spacious and much more fun to drive honda civic costs much less than the altis which attracts mostly pioneer generation buyers due to its outdated features cost cuttting interior and poor engineering compared to other competitors, Although the altis is boring , it also lacks in the NVH even with acoustic glass. Speaking of which, the renault megane sedan 1.2 turbo is much quieter and also cost saving in fuel and road tax. Although altis does not have rear air con vents the front is sufficient. However if you are looking for a compact sedan i suggest taking a look at the more sporty mazda3 and honda civic.

7 airbags

eels11
Premium User eels11
25 forum posts Joined on 28-Jan-2016
Nice drive, plain car  Posted on 08 Nov 2017

When I was looking for a new car, I test-drove both the Altis and Mazda 3. The Altis had a much smoother drive, but the light steering wheel made it feel somewhat toy-like. It was more spacious than the Mazda 3 too. The plain looks of the Altis didn't endear me to the car either. But if you want food value and don't mind the looks, the Altis is probably a good choice.

Sci90179
Premium User Sci90179
0 forum posts Joined on 27-Jun-2012
Too common on the road  Posted on 07 Nov 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

There are just too many altis (private hire) on the road to make it stand out. Perhaps after paying over $100k for the car you do want to feel a little bit more special. Overall it’S still a good car but just too plain for my liking.The other brands have caught up with their designs and price point.

Tungsan
Premium User Tungsan
23 forum posts Joined on 03-Sep-2011
My First Toyota Car  Posted on 22 Aug 2017

I have been driving for the past 3 days and the ride has been good so far, and I hope it will maintain that way. I do find the car height a very low as I have to bend my head quite a bit in order to get into the car.

I will review more after I ride more in the days ahead.

- exterior Thin and wide upper grille express an advanced and sophisticated impression

-the trapezoidal structure of the bumper creates a distinctive presence on the roads.

- Strong strong aircon.

- 3-layered glass (Elegance model) helps lower noise, vibration and harshness levels, so unwanted wind noise and others sounds do not intrude
into the cabin.

- Engine noise is a bit loud when starting the car

Air Con panel and Wing Mirror and door lock button not illuminated, thus making hard to locate it in dark environment.

- Not much choice of car color to choose from.

Kurumanbo
Premium User Kurumanbo
95 forum posts Joined on 08-Aug-2017
1.6 Standard  Posted on 08 Aug 2017

Being a Toyota, it is a simple and reliable car. It has good fuel consumption, I can typically achieve 15km/L on mixture of highway and city driving. It is pretty spacious for being a sedan and should serve the needs of a typical family. In addition, the back seats can be folded down to fit bulky items. Though the ICE isn't particularly fancy, it is enough to provide entertainment on the road. I often use the Bluetooth to connect to my Spotify on my Iphone.

Fuel consumption
Space
Easy to drive and maintain
Sufficient power for a family car

The holder between the front passenger and the driver can be made bigger as nowadays, people tend to put either their wallet and handphones there but the current specification seems a bit small for either of the items.

Zhi2228
4 forum posts Joined on 27-Apr-2011
Unethical business practise  Posted on 20 Jul 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

No doubt it’S a good car but you also look cheap too reason being it’S management from sale, marketing to customer services take buyer as a fool over promise but under deliver.

I bought the Altis premium model with GSP at Ubi because of convenience plus being convinced by Borneo Motors salesmen that spray painting can be done at Ubi within a day. Wah! Super service! But what it time to spray painting, they told me that I need to bring to Pandan and leave it for a week. Do you want to leave it there for a week? Why showroom never operate at Pandan? Or inform buyers in the first place. That's will back off many buyers. I have called Ubi’S customer service and the old dirty trick it keep delaying an answer and eventually referred to Manager incharge at Pandan, of course already collected money and cannot compromise but insist car needs to be delivered to Pandan and leave here a few days while taking own sweet time to do the spray painting. Outside it’S only a day job.

The premium model and premium service package bought coming to past 2 years and the GSP has never been update. Even while driving to 2nd Penang bridges 2 years ago, the GSP showed I was driving at sea.

Despite of trying to compromise a solution unfortunately at Borneo Motors mercy after paying so much, at its upper hand, I have flock out extra to spray paint elsewhere despite my money for premium paid.

You pay premium for lousy services.

Treat you like a fool!

Purplexus
66 forum posts Joined on 08-Aug-2009
Well built basic sedan  Posted on 04 Apr 2017

Went with my daughter to test drive this car as one of the options for replacing a 9 year old Astra GTC. It is relatively large, very well built, feels solid ( after testing a few others ) and drives quite quietly. However the SGP variant (on offer that day at 99+K ) had only 2 airbags and no other bells or whistles for safety as compared to the Elantra ( 6 airbags and everything else - see the review on the Elantra ) or the Astra. However they do give a full spare wheel. It drives, well like a Toyota, and for SGP roads - should do its duty loyally. Also driving up north should be a breeze as it is relatively comfortable for its size, back seat has space for 3 adults and materials make it comfortable, but don't be in a hurry! Altogether a decent offering and for the price - its very tempting for worry free motoring with its iron clad reliability.

Space, comfort and well built feel.

Competitive pricing.

Assuring reliability history

Sparse on safety options.

Unexciting and ubiquitous.

Carbuyer8989
79 forum posts Joined on 16-Feb-2017
Smooth and stress-free drive  Posted on 27 Mar 2017

Traded my Honda City for this, after much consideration.
Good price below $100K for luxury model.
Smooth pickup, turnings and gear switching.

More spacious, more leg room.
Love the auto features, from HU to headlights to wipers to air con.
Car camera is very clear.
Good sound system.
Smooth and stress-free drive, the way I like.

GPS Navigation a bit lacking in features.
Keyless frequency range a bit weak.
No turbo/sports mode.

azakirs
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2016
Still the first choice for no frills motoring.  Posted on 22 Feb 2017

Collected the Corolla Altis on the 13th Feb and here's my review on it after about 1 week or so.

Handsome car from the exterior, bright and spacious interior.

Not to my surprise, the car handles, rides, behaves like a Corolla.

Steering is pretty light and that is good for city driving and parking. At expressway speeds, the Corolla remains stable enough. Visibility is good and the reverse camera is really handy when it comes to parking. Power is sufficient in Singapore roads.

Overall, a pretty clear choice for the person who's looking for no frills, reliable car and that Toyota badge gives it a reassuring feeling.

- ivory leather interior makes the cabin so bright
- loads of legroom in the back
- keyless entry and go
- pretty quiet when you get to 80-90km/h and low rpm (lower than 2000rpm)
- soft touch material on the dashboard
- fuel consumption
- powerful aircon
- bright and clear instrument cluster
- reversing camera
- large rear windows
- bright LED headlights on the Elegance model
- power driver seat
- auto dimming rear view mirror

- the droning noise of the CVT gearbox when you mash your feet down
- still only 2 airbags
- 17" rims on the Elegance model resulted in a less comfortable ride
- unnecessarily high dashboard
- window and mirror buttons are not backlit. It may sound like a small thing, but it will annoy you pretty much every time when you want to fold the mirrors at night
- doors does not automatically unlock when you turn off the engine (even the 2008 Vios does that automatically)

Arkantos
Premium User Arkantos
83 forum posts Joined on 28-Jan-2006
Probably the last batch of Altis before 2017 facelift  Posted on 21 Feb 2017

Bought this during the 2017 Jan Motorshow. BM is selling at minimum profit considering its an Elegance model with almost 20k OMV and no CEV.
Jump in for a test drive and it surprises me with very comfortable ride and quiet interior. The rear legroom and centre hump is the clear winner as i drive family out often. Boot space is more than adequate.
Coming from a Honda hatchback, this car's drivetrain clearly lacks driving feel and spirited drive. Can't feel the road and cannot be rev fast. It is clearly meant for relaxed driving and does its job to bring you from point A to B safely and comfortably.
Toyota still stick to the old conventional and reliable handbrake and no start-stop system as well. No complains although many other brands started to have them.
A typical "Uncle" Car to many young working adults. I'm in my early thirties and i need a reliable car with low running cost that i can drive for the next decade. Altis it is, so should you.

- Much improvement on the exterior styling
- Resale value
- Reliability
- Low running cost
- Fuel economy
- Rear leg space
- 8-way electric seat adjustment with spine support

- interior and exterior styling still lack behind Korean competitors
- Still drives like an "uncle" car
- Numb steering feel
- Initial 0-20km/hr slow pick up
- Still on handbrake and no start-stop function
- High dashboard

Jackson_ngo
25 forum posts Joined on 25-Jun-2007
Very basic family car  Posted on 16 Jan 2017

A reasonably simple family sedan to bring the driver and passengers from point to point.

Very conservative design on the inside and outside.
ride comfort and stability are much improved over earlier generations.
Power taper off quite drastically after 120km/h, but managed to hit 180km/h on the NSHW confidently.

Relatively soft suspension contributes to poor grip in the corners.
Cabin space is fine for 5 average sized adults.
Averaged fuel consumption of 12-13km/L

Simple
LED headlamps.
good interior space.
comfort and stability.
CVT provides smooth acceleration with good FC.

Project an impression of "it's just another car".
2 airbags!
No active safety feature (VSC, Traction control....).
Poor handling in the corners

Jermel
Premium User Jermel
17 forum posts Joined on 10-Oct-2016
Nothing Fancy, but the basics are strong  Posted on 28 Oct 2016

Recently collected my S3 elegance.

I like the looks of the car as it has a simple yet sharp look. Something like a timeless piece of fashion. It won't win you the look of the year award, but you won't get sick of it as well.

Interior wise, I find the dashboard a bit on the high side (I'm 1.7m only), the central armrest is a bit too short to rest my arm there. The space however, is huge for both driver and passenger. Comfort wise I am still trying to find my sweet spot, so can't comment.

Features provided are basic but fairly well designed and built in. The HU is easy to use, sound is clear, bluetooth for HP is clear and on both receiver and speaker. Solid but nth to shout about. Good enough for me as I am not a tech person. However, the Nav is basically useless. Calculate a longer route and map is outdated for a couple of years.

Ride is smooth and swift right from the pick up to cruising speed. The gears shifted without even me noticing at all. The sound proofing is well done. Engine sound is barely audible. Due to the 17" Rim, the ride is slightly bumpy, but better handling in turning with min body roll. Couple of times, I underestimated the speed I was travelling at. I attribute it to the pretty solid build of the car.

Overall my view of 11G altis is a pretty good car, which might not have the top of the line technology or specialised performance to boost, compare to other made. But it does all the basic necessities way above avg.

1. Drive is so smooth that you feel like the whole veh run on single gear.
2. Good pick up. You won't be left behind other made travelling in SG.
3. Look good
4. Spacious
5. Good sound proofing

1. No auto fold side mirror
2. buttons for windows not illuminated.
3. Too many warning sensors. Go over bump also have warning alert.
4. Dashboard a bit too high for the vertically challenged.
5. Would have preferred the gear shift to run in a straight line instead of crocked teeth.
6. Lack of space to place stuff like wallet, hp and shades etc.

Swiftgolfer
Premium User Swiftgolfer
131 forum posts Joined on 23-Jul-2015
Normal sedan with normal performance  Posted on 26 Oct 2016

Hi Guys and Ladies,

Drove this car for 3 weeks in NZD. Ok over there it is the 1.8L version but basically almost everything is the same...

Exterior
pleasing to look at, good dimensions, i could fit 2 big suitcases in the back, no issues. Still have space for light grocery shopping.

Interior
everything is well placed and within easy reach. Meters are nice and bright, very easy to read. Display could show abit more information eg: cruse control speed... Rear view camera was a tad too bright even after adjusting to lowest brightness levels... But that could just be the camera's fault...

The Drive
CVT transmission works well in city areas. It is smooth and quiet. However take it to the slopes of Queenstown, Dunedin, back end roads of the country in Mackenzie.... Sighs the engine feels powerless... Struggling to go up slopes stuck at 70km/h while other cars were zooming past at 100km...

understeer around the twisty bits but hey which FWD car isn't? In this aspect felt that mazda 3 handles better.. Also my old jetta..

NVH
quiet car at cruising speeds - 70-80, at highway speeds of 100km it does get abit noisy.

overall
it is a plain and simple car, get it if you wanna go from point A to B with no issues.
Its a toyota so reliability is good. Even though i was driving a rental car that had gone through many hands and legs. Totally no issues, no rattles even when driving on gravel roads.
if you want good driving dynamics and power especially for slopes then do look elsewhere.

Cheers.

Reliable, quiet at city speeds and below 80KM/h, easy to read instrument cluster

No power up slopes, Noisy at 100km or more. obvious under steer around the bends.

Altis2016
Premium User Altis2016
115 forum posts Joined on 09-May-2016
13KM Altis Review  Posted on 11 Oct 2016

Collected the car on March 2016. The car is super white with black leather. Comes with 16inch rim with yokohama tire.

Feels that the car has many sharp features as compare to the koreans. Maybe that is why korean car look much bigger on the road compare with Altis when view from the back. The car has a simple and clean look which appeal to me in the first place. The car however look too plain when view from the back.

Interior
If the black leather comes with red stiches, it will be great. Side door wrapping is all black and as such look too plain. A bit of color contrast will be nice. Gear box panel is too reflective and when direct sunlight shine on it, it can be very glaring and uncomfortable to the driver. Control on the car is simple and does not seem overwhelming to new driver. Interior of the car is very dark at night. Power windows and auto lock button are not illuminated and can be quite annoying initially. HU is just OK, nothing to shout about.

Drive
Manage to do 14.5-15 km/l by manuel calcuation. Car shows 15.3-15.4km/l. 70 highway/ 30 city. Very easy to drive for my wife. However, I find the steering very light. After 7mths with the car, I am used to it now. Need to be careful when driving over puddle. Love the smooth and effortless acceleration. Pickup is great. Suggest to used 98 petrol if you want better pickup. For me 95 is just fine. I like to rest my left hand on the arm rest and right hand on the window. Very unconfortable doing that on this car. I have no such problem previously with other Japanese cars.

- Smooth gear change
- Uncluttered dash board
- Relatively queit even beside a bus, lorry and motorbike. (Elegance model)
- My old 2006 altis @ 290K mileage can still give 12km/l on the 9th year. Confidence about this car.

- Light steering wheel
- No illuminated buttons
- Loss out on features compare with Korean car
- BM free 2 body panel spary is a joke. Must leave car with them for 5 days. Very unhappy.

Andomia
19 forum posts Joined on 12-Aug-2016
Suitable for family uses  Posted on 10 Oct 2016
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Collected this car on Sept 08. I have been driving this car for about 1 month now.
Interior is spacious and comfortable for both passenger and driver. Transmission tunnel at the backseat area is almost negligible. Car ceiling is high enough for passengers or driver who are not more than 1.87 m of height.
Overall interior design is acceptable but hate the printed buttons for the air-con functions.

Quite disappointed with the fuel efficiency of this car. Thought the specs reads 15.4 km/L, it delivers 7.73 km/L for me only. Not sure if this is attributable to my driving needs - 90% City driving + 10% Highway driving. But to be fair, i have ever seen my car records 19 km/L from point A (entry to AYE @ Lower delta) point B (exit from PIE @ Eunos Link). Hope my car's fc will improve.

Love the exterior styling and the sport rims that were given as part of the car purchase

Very standard but useful features - love the auto-on headlights and wipers. Certainly cannot win the Korean cars with so much more features to offer.

Handling is too light for me. Prefer something with a steering wheel that gives more resistance to be steered @ High speed (something like what Kia forte k3 is offering - go for a test drive and you will know what i mean).

Comfortable and spacious (transmission tunnel is almost negligible!)
Useful features which i use everyday (auto headlights/wipers)
Exterior styling - very cool front grille design and sport rims

current fuel consumption
handling
printed buttons for the air-con functions

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 ) Next »