Hyundai Elantra

Car Review - Hyundai Elantra 1.6 GLS Elite (A)
03 Jun 2016  |  Hyundai Reviews
The all new Hyundai Elantra boasts an impressive spec sheet, and has its sights set on becoming the best-selling model in Singapore.
vs
vs
Comparison Tests:
Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 vs Hyundai Elantra 1.6 vs Nissan Sylphy 1.6
   Consumer Reviews of Hyundai Elantra

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
25 out of 26 (96.2%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.
Login to sgCarMart to submit a review Submit a review

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
SGCMKermit
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Still enjoying the ride after 6000km  Posted on 28 May 2018

Having driven the car for more than 2 months and clocking more than 6000km, i am still enjoying the ride. I saw a review that complained about a noisy ride but so far my car is still pretty quiet as per my first review a month ago. I think most Elantra owners would agree with me on this one.
Fuel economy is still pretty decent. I still get between 6.5-7L/100km these days so no complaints there. (about 14.2 - 15.3km/L)
Handling of the car is still pretty good. Granted, it's no Bimmer but it's actually quite composed through the corners and very stable at high speed.
Hint: if you want a bit more fun when driving, drive without air-conditioning. You'll notice a difference in power especially uphill or during starts. But that aside, this car is perfectly adequate for my needs and at the price i paid for, no complaints so far.

1. Fuel economy still decent after 6000km (14.2 - 15.3L/L)
2. Ride still quiet
3. Ride still comfortable

1. i wish they would swap the signal and windscreen wiper controls back again to the same as Jap models.
2. hopefully android auto will be available in SG soon so that i don't have to do side install each time an update comes up.

Cr3sent
Premium User Cr3sent
25 forum posts Joined on 05-Apr-2017
Nice upgrade from Avante  Posted on 04 May 2018

Have driven Elantra S for nearly a month now, clocking average 80km per day. Fuel consumption is better than my previous Avante, at about 13.5-14km/L, Avante was about 13km/L. Coming from a owner of my ex 08 Hyundai Avante S'roof, the car feels heavier, well sepcs, much more tech to play with and is a good upgrade for interior and exterior, featuring a masculine and mature look.

Wiper and light signalling have now switch places. Like the sound of the signal, auto close side mirror, audio control on the steering wheel, apple play, rear camera, start/stop keyless entry and engine, rear air condition, smart trunk system, tire pressure gauge, also shows you electronically what is your fuel consumption, distance left you can go etc etc and many more.

Elantra also feels more spacious than Avante, my height is 1.85cm and when i am driving my avante, my hair will brush the roof and the steering wheel at its highest possible height still touches my leg, wasnt a problem for Elantra.

However, S trim comes without climate control which my Avante has but i guess it doesnt matter that much as the aircon is cold at fan speed 1. Overall a really good car to drive.

Exterior look
Interior look
Drive feel
Responsive engine
Quiet drive and firm suspension
Auto close side mirror
Day light running
Auto headlight
Good enough sound system for me
Start/stop
Tire pressure gauge indicator

Some body roll during turning
Wiper that comes with it screeches
No Climate control?
DLR and headlight is Halogen
Long queue to service at Komoco

JoshuaJoshua
0 forum posts Joined on 25-Mar-2018
Noisy car  Posted on 25 Mar 2018

Seriously guys, I don’t understand why there are a few reviews here commenting that the noise insulation is good.

The road noise is very loud when on coarse road but decent on new road. The noise insulation is different from the test car I drove before buying. I will be going down to test their car again and compare to my 2018 elantra again. If it is indeed a problem with my noise insulation I hope Komocco will fix it. Soundproofing is done by a local dealer for Komocco. Maybe the dealer did not do a good job ? I don’t think mine is an isolated case because I spoke to other 2018 elantra owner and they felt the same too.

Value for money.

The road noise. Engine gets louder after 1k servicing.
Lousy blue tooth for phone calls

aaronneo17
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Mar-2018
So spacious and comfortable  Posted on 20 Mar 2018

I could not beleive that a korean car could be so spacious and comfortable. The drive is so quiet and smooth. It's interior is luxury and it definitely good value for your money. You need not worry about hp charging point too. I definitely recommend not only the car but the SE Shantel who is very patient and knowledgeble in explaining and guiding on the car usage and features. Happy driving so far since CNY.

The spacious inner

Left hand direction signal

SGCMKermit
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Happy driver after 1 month  Posted on 15 Mar 2018

I test drove 6 cars before settling for the Elantra S. Having driven for the last month, i have no complaints about the car. For the price i paid (80k), i got a car that is not only comfortable to drive but also packs a lot of feature you only find in cars costing 10k more at least. For e.G. Rear aircon, which was a big thing for me as i wanted my parents to feel comfortable when they sit at the backseats.

my only worry before i made the decision was the fuel economy but i'm happy to say so far, the fuel economy has been very decent. (13.5km per L, 70% Highway and 30% City) and i'm not particularly light-footed. The reason i was told is Elantra's engine had just been upgraded to a more fuel-efficient model. To me, this means, i had even less incentive to go for other more costly Jap models.

I want to thank James from Komoco Motors for being so patient with me and no hard selling and getting ready the car in time for CNY. :)
in fact, he even recommended me contacts for other brands.

That's my feedback so far. I'm keen to see if the fuel economy will improve after the first servicing. Until then, i am a satisfied Elantra owner.

likes:
1. unbeatable price with a good set of features (i reckon only KIA has slightly better pricing but the reason i went for Elantra as I prefer the design.)
2. Good suspension. My family really enjoyed the ride.
3. fuel economy is not bad. not quite the same as Honda obviously but at 12-20k lesser, i don't think my fuel savings will equate that amount.
4. Interior design and materials used doesn't feel cheap.
5. I felt that steering is light compared to other Jap brands when i test drove it but after driving for a month, i actually really appreciate that.
6. there is tiptronic available if you like that but personally, i don't use it but i can see it could be useful if you are coming downhill.

dislikes:
1. Android Auto not particularly useful as you have to update yourself. if the version is outdated, you can't use it until you update it. Officially, Android Auto isn't supported in SG so you can't update from Android playstore. That said, it's not a problem for me as I prefer to use bluetooth connection anyway. but just fyi.

Cruise
Premium User Cruise
119 forum posts Joined on 17-Apr-2009
Best in its segment  Posted on 08 Feb 2018

Went to test drove all the 1.5-1.6 cars along Alexandra Road, Elantra stood out as the best in its segment! From driving Avante to Elantra, Korea is a very frightening country. In a matter of 10 years, they built something that is affordable and sturdy. I just hope it can last as long as my Avante.

There is not a single noise from the under carriage. The steering is accurate and light. If you prefer heavier steering, you can set to sport mode and the car grips the road like a magnet. The suspension is just nice, no extra swing when going over bumps. Japanese suspensions are too soft and Germans suspensions are too hard. This one is just perfect. The engines are so quiet I often thought I am driving an electric car. The seats especially driver seat are so comfortable that I can immediately fell asleep. Sound insulation is good as I cruise it along the highways, enjoying every twist and turns. Apple CarPlay is a bonus, connecting the phone to the car is seamless, phone conversation is crispy clear and GPS connection is seamless. Listening to my favourite music on YouTube through the car speakers makes the driving so pleasurable.

My family members often found it hard to close the door. They need to slam it before it can close tight. I love the sound of closing doors, slam as hard as you can and they car still feels solid. I love the gorgeous daytime running lights and the face of the car feels like a shark charging forward. I can stand there to admire this beauty for 5 minutes and I won’T get bored. I just wonder how the Koreans did that? This will put all other cars in the same segment in shame.

Special thanks for Anna from Komoko for her professional service!

Daytime running light
Comfy Seats
Auto rain and lights sensor
Apple CarPlay
Beautiful design
Sturdy body
The price$
Driving feel
Precise steering
Quietness
Safety

Boot closing doesn’t feel as sturdy as the doors
Please bring in the Turbo version
No blind spot detection
No sunroof
No aircon seats
No auto brakes to prevent collosion
No radar linked cruise control
No memory seats

BennieLee
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2017
Awesome car  Posted on 16 Dec 2017

First time owning a Korean car and finally broke the stereotype that we had. Have been driving Japanese car since day 1 and never really trusted other countries manufacturer.
Comparing the new Elantra to the Sylphy that we owned, it was heaven and earth. Engine performance, noise isolation, handling, and design were way better.

Especially like the infotainment system that comes with Apple CarPlay as standard. It is really hassle-free as all it takes is just plugging in the cable.
Have driven for a week and it was really impressive! Though the fuel economy is kind of below average. Clocking 11km/l on average. Didn't really rev the engine and it was being kept below 3000rpm yet the fuel consumption did not hit what it was being claimed.

Customer service by Komoco Motors could be better. Was expecting a prompt update on the vehicle but sadly I have to frequently ask questions to update myself on the status of the vehicle.

Overall, Elantra is really a good car to drive. Fell in love with it when I went to the Expo car sale. At the same time, the price is really reasonable with the equipment it comes with.

- Styling (Interior & Exterior)
- Engine performance
- Handling
- Infotainment
- Noise isolation
- Rear aircon

- 15" rims (Looked pathetic)
- Fuel consumption
- Auto climate control not as standard
- Door panel not leather wrapped (Looked as though they forgot to wrap)

Imranalivirani
0 forum posts Joined on 28-Jun-2009
Surprised  Posted on 14 Nov 2017

Went for a test drive and later booked the Elantra S.
Responsive engine. Light steering for city drive .
Interiors have well sculpted plastics (good for the price) . Shuling (car sales executive) from Komoco motors is excellent

EdmelThaddeusArollado
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2017
Hyundai Elantra  Posted on 08 Nov 2017

A desired car that worth driving and to buy for under sedan category. Fuel efficiency is good and you can have your own design and concept on the exterior part of the house. Definitely recommend to a friend to own this car.

Nuz
Premium User Nuz
12 forum posts Joined on 20-Apr-2017
Bought Elantra 2011 and AGAIN in 2017!  Posted on 08 Nov 2017

Definitely the Best and most reliable sedan car. I chose to buy a 2011 Elantra few years back as it was stylish and comfortable. In 2017 I decided to sell away my car as for something new and refreshing. After much calculating finances and looking around, Guess what! I bought the New Elantra 2017! It was a decision that I never regretted!

The New 2017 Elantra exterior is very different from 2011 model. The exterior is more sturdy, bigger body frame and looked more "Muscular" Compared to previous Elantra MD version.

My New Elantra 2017 Elite had the bright DRL lining on the headlight that makes it look very modern and the tail light was designed with a sleek back view.

As for the interior, I really felt it had huge improvements in the features. My 2017 New Elantra Elite comes with ventilated seats and anti collision warning systems which were a major plus factor! The designs and capabilities certainly gave me the "Conti" Feel for a korean car.

And not forgetting how spacious the interior and the boot size! Having an aged parent that I have to ferry around, this gave my 75 year old Dad feel comfortable without too restraining. He can stretch his legs and feel at ease. The boot amazingly can fit so many things!

Therefore, Hyundai definitely done well by improving their Elantras. Proud owner of Korean car. 👍
#2ndtimeElantra

Privacy
1769 forum posts Joined on 20-Feb-2015
Best Value/comfort/smoothness budget car  Posted on 02 Nov 2017

Sold my 2015 vibrating mazda 3 deluxe and moved over to Korean car for the first time over a decade of driving.

pros
very smooth engine
no idling vibration vs the MIJ Mazda3 deluxe
dash shows which doors r not fully closed
build in TPMS
No more iStop rubbish.. Less is more!
very comfortable suspension vs mazda3
Andriod Auto! Free map for life vs $300+ for 2yrs of map updates for Mazda3
6speed gearbox
traction control for S trim vs K3 0 for ex and below
6 airbags vs 2 for k3 ex and below
no penalties for not taking loan from Komoco
4 disc brakes
Non Takada airbags. Hyundai airbags are made by Mobis Europe
cheaper servicing vs Eurokars
smart trunk
start engine button
welcome led lights
cons
locally fitted leather seats
no leather steering wheel bt can top up $250 to wrap.
no cruise control bt can add
no HID n LED
rims 15"
no climate control and dual zone
no sunroof. Not impt
not leather wrapped handbrake

na

na

thesiger
Premium User thesiger
49 forum posts Joined on 09-Jun-2015
Value for money car  Posted on 20 Oct 2017

Have been driving this car for 2 weeks now. Here are my personal opinions of the vehicle having drove a Toyota Altis and a Honda Civic before. Bought a Hyundai this time to try and because the package offered was extremely attractive.

1. Auto side mirrors and door handle lights as you approach the vehicle
2. Apple Car Play
3. Spacious cabin to sit 3 full grown adults at the back
4. Price & package from Komoco Motors (warranty and servicing)
5. Vanity mirrors come with lights (driver and front passenger)
6. Smart Trunk
7. You only need very minimum effort to close the trunk
8. Rear passengers aircon

1. Drove the car out on Day 1 and there was a very loud mechanical sound when I was on the slope and trying to accelerate upwards.
2. Halogen headlight and halogen fog lights. It made the car look superbly ugly
3. Brake Dust which accumulates on the front tires.
4. The Apple Carplay hung on me a few times. Thank God that there was bluetooth audio (as a backup)
5. Door pockets were very small. unable to fit a normal size organiser.
6. Fuel efficiency. I am a very light footer and I could only clock about 12km/l.
7. Squeaking sound as your windscreen wipers wipe your screen
8. Aircon is not as cold as a Toyota or a Honda
9. Plastic dashboards and the sides of the door.

Hondao
65 forum posts Joined on 19-May-2002
Quiet and comfort ride but Hope FC is better  Posted on 12 Aug 2017

Own this car for abt 3month and the model I owned is Elite which is the last batch and comes with blind spot detection, ventilated seat. Initially, intend to go for Kia K3 sport but honestly, what attracts me to this car mainly is because of the low-interest rate(1.98%) and additional trade in value for my COE car which all other dealers only give me based on paper value.

This car comes with almost everything smart boot, BSD, cruise control, colored cluster, auto dimming rear view mirror, keyless entry but wish that it could come with paddle shifter, sunroof and an infotainment which support android auto and carplay.
The HU that comes with this car is not very stable but the speaker come with good bass and clarity but you'll need to play with the equalizer setting to fully bring out the effect.

Do not expect a good FC for this car because it's a very heavy car. Average FC is from 10km/l to 11.5km/l. My driving condition is 80% City and 20%HW.

1. Driving feel

Pocus
NOS-ed
5169 forum posts Joined on 30-Aug-2004
Best budget Car  Posted on 07 Jul 2017

Usually when you look into Korean car, you have budget in mind as Korean cars like Hyundai and kia usually caters for the car owners how are more prudent. Having said, Korean cars are not all about budget and no frills as their higher spec models like the Veloster or Tucson have proven to be quality products. Having lesson learnt from many generations or models, Hyundai have earned itself a place among the top Japanese makers in terms of quality.

But we are not compare it with the Japanese this time. My review is for the budget in mind and more importantly, how it fairs against it's sportier looking sibling, the Kia K3.

Exterior
========
In this incarnation, Hyundai maintains it's reserved and more mature looks. Compared to it's older MD lines, the current Elantra projects a classy aura that hints that it's all grown up. It follows a different direction from the K3, which maintain it's youthful and angular looks to project a sportier look for a sedan. It really depends on your character and what you look in a car.

Interior
========
As both cars same the same platform, the interior size and dimension between the Elantra and K3 are fairly similar. The cabin is fair large and the rear have quite a legroom, although the roof feels abit low as with many sedans. I do not see much difference in the leather quality of the seats. The dashboard design of both car is in-line with their exterior, the Elantra being classy and luxurious while the Kia looks sporty and rugged. However don't expect too much from the feel as most trims are just fabricated hard plastic instead of their leathery or carbon fibre look.

Drive
=====
When you hit the wheels, thats where there are differences. Although both cars uses the same engine and gearbox of the same specs, I believe they are tuned differently.

The K3 feels more loud and rugged. The grunt of the engine sound sportier, although not as fast as it sounds. You can feel that the car is stiffing and handling is more tuned to sportiness. However there seems to be a flat spot mid rev where the engine drone is the loudest. This can be annoying to some as the mid rev is quite a common rev point during acceleration. You have to get used to that engine drone.

The Elantra is quieter and felt more refined. The engine grunt is reduced and I dun feel a sustantial flat spot mid rev like the Kia, however the engine tend to be less urgent at high rev. The handling of the car is softer to suit a low pace journey. In others words it is a boring drive with a steering that has average feedback. One thing that annoys me is the accelerator being too sensitive for my liking. Not I don't mean its more responsive, rather the pedal seems to confuse the gearbox to downshift too often thinking I want to go into a race when I simply only want to speed up abit. We have to get used to that.

On the whole, with that budget, it is an adequate b&b car I really can't complain since I have budget in mind.

Conlusion
=========
Both the Kia and Hyundai have their pros and cons so their are evenly matched. Usually in this case it is how the authorized dealer package the deal. For those who know me in the forum will know I'm not a car dealer and do not endorse any companies. The below comments are my own opinions at my personal capacity.

As of July 2017, Komoco beats C&C hands down in terms of overall package.

1) Do not let the list price of KIA deceive you, it is list around 4 to 5k below its Hyundai counterpart simply because it's a NON-GUARANTEED COE bidding as compared Hyundai's GUARANTEED COE bidding. If you ask Komoco for a NON-GURANTEED bidding, the Elantra will be equally priced as the K3.

2) KIA's listed price assumes you have a car to trade-in, so a trade-in discount is included. If you are a new car buyer you have to fork out a few Ks more. Hyundai's list price is NETT! Trade-in or not. New car buyers or not, that's the price you are getting.

3) In order to enjoy the listed price of the KIA, you have forced to take at least 50k loan for 6 yrs at 2.48%. If you don't take loan for take lower loan, they will add a few Ks to the price. For Hyundai, there is not loan limit. You can take 1 yr or 10k or even pay full cash, the price remains. If you take loan, at 1st week July 2017 there is a promo of 1.98% for 50k or more and 2.19% for loans less than 50k. It's still cheaper to take loans with Komoco

4) Both offer same 5 yrs warranty, KIA offer addition 5yrs engine warranty though.

5) K3 comes with 2 airbags and no ESP for it's cheaper trims, Elantra offers 6 airbags and ESP for all it's trims.

So it's no brainer which dealer is out there to carrot you and which is more sincere. For the Budget in mind it's no wonder I see fewer KIAs than Hyundais on the road.

fng72
Premium User fng72
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Aug-2014
Fantastic drive  Posted on 24 May 2017

The last Hyundai car I drove was an Accent, that was 10 years ago. Today I test drove the Elantra S. I was surprised. What a great difference. The drive was great. Powerful, responsive and stable. Back row airconditioning. Plus the seats have air conditioning!

Smooth drive, ventilated seats, good leg rooms.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »