Hyundai Elantra

Car Review - Hyundai Elantra 1.6 GLS Elite (A)
03 Jun 2016  |  Hyundai Reviews
The all new Hyundai Elantra boasts an impressive spec sheet, and has its sights set on becoming the best-selling model in Singapore.
vs
vs
Comparison Tests:
Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 vs Hyundai Elantra 1.6 vs Nissan Sylphy 1.6
   Consumer Reviews of Hyundai Elantra

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
19 out of 20 (95%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.
Login to sgCarMart to submit a review Submit a review

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
BennieLee
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2017
Awesome car  Posted on 16 Dec 2017

First time owning a Korean car and finally broke the stereotype that we had. Have been driving Japanese car since day 1 and never really trusted other countries manufacturer.
Comparing the new Elantra to the Sylphy that we owned, it was heaven and earth. Engine performance, noise isolation, handling, and design were way better.

Especially like the infotainment system that comes with Apple CarPlay as standard. It is really hassle-free as all it takes is just plugging in the cable.
Have driven for a week and it was really impressive! Though the fuel economy is kind of below average. Clocking 11km/l on average. Didn't really rev the engine and it was being kept below 3000rpm yet the fuel consumption did not hit what it was being claimed.

Customer service by Komoco Motors could be better. Was expecting a prompt update on the vehicle but sadly I have to frequently ask questions to update myself on the status of the vehicle.

Overall, Elantra is really a good car to drive. Fell in love with it when I went to the Expo car sale. At the same time, the price is really reasonable with the equipment it comes with.

- Styling (Interior & Exterior)
- Engine performance
- Handling
- Infotainment
- Noise isolation
- Rear aircon

- 15" rims (Looked pathetic)
- Fuel consumption
- Auto climate control not as standard
- Door panel not leather wrapped (Looked as though they forgot to wrap)

Imranalivirani
0 forum posts Joined on 28-Jun-2009
Surprised  Posted on 14 Nov 2017

Went for a test drive and later booked the Elantra S.
Responsive engine. Light steering for city drive .
Interiors have well sculpted plastics (good for the price) . Shuling (car sales executive) from Komoco motors is excellent

EdmelThaddeusArollado
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2017
Hyundai Elantra  Posted on 08 Nov 2017

A desired car that worth driving and to buy for under sedan category. Fuel efficiency is good and you can have your own design and concept on the exterior part of the house. Definitely recommend to a friend to own this car.

Nuz
Premium User Nuz
12 forum posts Joined on 20-Apr-2017
Bought Elantra 2011 and AGAIN in 2017!  Posted on 08 Nov 2017

Definitely the Best and most reliable sedan car. I chose to buy a 2011 Elantra few years back as it was stylish and comfortable. In 2017 I decided to sell away my car as for something new and refreshing. After much calculating finances and looking around, Guess what! I bought the New Elantra 2017! It was a decision that I never regretted!

The New 2017 Elantra exterior is very different from 2011 model. The exterior is more sturdy, bigger body frame and looked more "Muscular" Compared to previous Elantra MD version.

My New Elantra 2017 Elite had the bright DRL lining on the headlight that makes it look very modern and the tail light was designed with a sleek back view.

As for the interior, I really felt it had huge improvements in the features. My 2017 New Elantra Elite comes with ventilated seats and anti collision warning systems which were a major plus factor! The designs and capabilities certainly gave me the "Conti" Feel for a korean car.

And not forgetting how spacious the interior and the boot size! Having an aged parent that I have to ferry around, this gave my 75 year old Dad feel comfortable without too restraining. He can stretch his legs and feel at ease. The boot amazingly can fit so many things!

Therefore, Hyundai definitely done well by improving their Elantras. Proud owner of Korean car. 👍
#2ndtimeElantra

Privacy
1501 forum posts Joined on 20-Feb-2015
Best Value/comfort/smoothness budget car  Posted on 02 Nov 2017

Sold my 2015 vibrating mazda 3 deluxe and moved over to Korean car for the first time over a decade of driving.

pros
very smooth engine
no idling vibration vs the MIJ Mazda3 deluxe
dash shows which doors r not fully closed
build in TPMS
No more iStop rubbish.. Less is more!
very comfortable suspension vs mazda3
Andriod Auto! Free map for life vs $300+ for 2yrs of map updates for Mazda3
6speed gearbox
traction control for S trim vs K3 0 for ex and below
6 airbags vs 2 for k3 ex and below
no penalties for not taking loan from Komoco
4 disc brakes
Non Takada airbags. Hyundai airbags are made by Mobis Europe
cheaper servicing vs Eurokars
smart trunk
start engine button
welcome led lights
cons
locally fitted leather seats
no leather steering wheel bt can top up $250 to wrap.
no cruise control bt can add
no HID n LED
rims 15"
no climate control and dual zone
no sunroof. Not impt
not leather wrapped handbrake

na

na

thesiger
Premium User thesiger
44 forum posts Joined on 09-Jun-2015
Value for money car  Posted on 20 Oct 2017

Have been driving this car for 2 weeks now. Here are my personal opinions of the vehicle having drove a Toyota Altis and a Honda Civic before. Bought a Hyundai this time to try and because the package offered was extremely attractive.

1. Auto side mirrors and door handle lights as you approach the vehicle
2. Apple Car Play
3. Spacious cabin to sit 3 full grown adults at the back
4. Price & package from Komoco Motors (warranty and servicing)
5. Vanity mirrors come with lights (driver and front passenger)
6. Smart Trunk
7. You only need very minimum effort to close the trunk
8. Rear passengers aircon

1. Drove the car out on Day 1 and there was a very loud mechanical sound when I was on the slope and trying to accelerate upwards.
2. Halogen headlight and halogen fog lights. It made the car look superbly ugly
3. Brake Dust which accumulates on the front tires.
4. The Apple Carplay hung on me a few times. Thank God that there was bluetooth audio (as a backup)
5. Door pockets were very small. unable to fit a normal size organiser.
6. Fuel efficiency. I am a very light footer and I could only clock about 12km/l.
7. Squeaking sound as your windscreen wipers wipe your screen
8. Aircon is not as cold as a Toyota or a Honda
9. Plastic dashboards and the sides of the door.

Hondao
60 forum posts Joined on 19-May-2002
Quiet and comfort ride but Hope FC is better  Posted on 12 Aug 2017

Own this car for abt 3month and the model I owned is Elite which is the last batch and comes with blind spot detection, ventilated seat. Initially, intend to go for Kia K3 sport but honestly, what attracts me to this car mainly is because of the low-interest rate(1.98%) and additional trade in value for my COE car which all other dealers only give me based on paper value.

This car comes with almost everything smart boot, BSD, cruise control, colored cluster, auto dimming rear view mirror, keyless entry but wish that it could come with paddle shifter, sunroof and an infotainment which support android auto and carplay.
The HU that comes with this car is not very stable but the speaker come with good bass and clarity but you'll need to play with the equalizer setting to fully bring out the effect.

Do not expect a good FC for this car because it's a very heavy car. Average FC is from 10km/l to 11.5km/l. My driving condition is 80% City and 20%HW.

1. Driving feel

Pocus
NOS-ed
4972 forum posts Joined on 30-Aug-2004
Best budget Car  Posted on 07 Jul 2017

Usually when you look into Korean car, you have budget in mind as Korean cars like Hyundai and kia usually caters for the car owners how are more prudent. Having said, Korean cars are not all about budget and no frills as their higher spec models like the Veloster or Tucson have proven to be quality products. Having lesson learnt from many generations or models, Hyundai have earned itself a place among the top Japanese makers in terms of quality.

But we are not compare it with the Japanese this time. My review is for the budget in mind and more importantly, how it fairs against it's sportier looking sibling, the Kia K3.

Exterior
========
In this incarnation, Hyundai maintains it's reserved and more mature looks. Compared to it's older MD lines, the current Elantra projects a classy aura that hints that it's all grown up. It follows a different direction from the K3, which maintain it's youthful and angular looks to project a sportier look for a sedan. It really depends on your character and what you look in a car.

Interior
========
As both cars same the same platform, the interior size and dimension between the Elantra and K3 are fairly similar. The cabin is fair large and the rear have quite a legroom, although the roof feels abit low as with many sedans. I do not see much difference in the leather quality of the seats. The dashboard design of both car is in-line with their exterior, the Elantra being classy and luxurious while the Kia looks sporty and rugged. However don't expect too much from the feel as most trims are just fabricated hard plastic instead of their leathery or carbon fibre look.

Drive
=====
When you hit the wheels, thats where there are differences. Although both cars uses the same engine and gearbox of the same specs, I believe they are tuned differently.

The K3 feels more loud and rugged. The grunt of the engine sound sportier, although not as fast as it sounds. You can feel that the car is stiffing and handling is more tuned to sportiness. However there seems to be a flat spot mid rev where the engine drone is the loudest. This can be annoying to some as the mid rev is quite a common rev point during acceleration. You have to get used to that engine drone.

The Elantra is quieter and felt more refined. The engine grunt is reduced and I dun feel a sustantial flat spot mid rev like the Kia, however the engine tend to be less urgent at high rev. The handling of the car is softer to suit a low pace journey. In others words it is a boring drive with a steering that has average feedback. One thing that annoys me is the accelerator being too sensitive for my liking. Not I don't mean its more responsive, rather the pedal seems to confuse the gearbox to downshift too often thinking I want to go into a race when I simply only want to speed up abit. We have to get used to that.

On the whole, with that budget, it is an adequate b&b car I really can't complain since I have budget in mind.

Conlusion
=========
Both the Kia and Hyundai have their pros and cons so their are evenly matched. Usually in this case it is how the authorized dealer package the deal. For those who know me in the forum will know I'm not a car dealer and do not endorse any companies. The below comments are my own opinions at my personal capacity.

As of July 2017, Komoco beats C&C hands down in terms of overall package.

1) Do not let the list price of KIA deceive you, it is list around 4 to 5k below its Hyundai counterpart simply because it's a NON-GUARANTEED COE bidding as compared Hyundai's GUARANTEED COE bidding. If you ask Komoco for a NON-GURANTEED bidding, the Elantra will be equally priced as the K3.

2) KIA's listed price assumes you have a car to trade-in, so a trade-in discount is included. If you are a new car buyer you have to fork out a few Ks more. Hyundai's list price is NETT! Trade-in or not. New car buyers or not, that's the price you are getting.

3) In order to enjoy the listed price of the KIA, you have forced to take at least 50k loan for 6 yrs at 2.48%. If you don't take loan for take lower loan, they will add a few Ks to the price. For Hyundai, there is not loan limit. You can take 1 yr or 10k or even pay full cash, the price remains. If you take loan, at 1st week July 2017 there is a promo of 1.98% for 50k or more and 2.19% for loans less than 50k. It's still cheaper to take loans with Komoco

4) Both offer same 5 yrs warranty, KIA offer addition 5yrs engine warranty though.

5) K3 comes with 2 airbags and no ESP for it's cheaper trims, Elantra offers 6 airbags and ESP for all it's trims.

So it's no brainer which dealer is out there to carrot you and which is more sincere. For the Budget in mind it's no wonder I see fewer KIAs than Hyundais on the road.

fng72
Premium User fng72
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Aug-2014
Fantastic drive  Posted on 24 May 2017

The last Hyundai car I drove was an Accent, that was 10 years ago. Today I test drove the Elantra S. I was surprised. What a great difference. The drive was great. Powerful, responsive and stable. Back row airconditioning. Plus the seats have air conditioning!

Smooth drive, ventilated seats, good leg rooms.

Purplexus
66 forum posts Joined on 08-Aug-2009
Packaged with high end options  Posted on 04 Apr 2017

When looking for a replacement for a car we decided to use the 100K mark as the budget. The Elantra Elite fell in that range and I must say I like the shape and the features it offered from ventilated seats, BLIS, 6 airbags, all the safety software. However I did not like the look of the leather or its feel and the mickey mouse rims and nasty tires. The drive was adequate - not the most refined and the ride a little wallowy and hollow, but should be OK for smooth and well maintained SGP roads. However the features rival high end large sedans and for that it can be a possible option. Just need to change the rims and tires and add some sound proof material in doors and floor panels and I think the drive may be better.

Packed with relevant features.

6 airbags and safety features

Great styling

Stock wheels and tyres.

Leather rather rough and feels cheap.

Rather "tinny" body as compared to Japanese rivals.

SiLangKia
Premium User SiLangKia
2Fast2Furious
525 forum posts Joined on 25-Mar-2015
Pretty Decent BnB Car  Posted on 03 Feb 2017

Was curious after reading so much about it and went down to take a look & testdrive

First impressions: Love the new design (subjective), feel that it looks quite well proportioned and styled. Interior wise, less stylish than than the exterior and pretty conventional in design but overall material quality is quite good for this class (other than non soft touch upper door panels, which I feel is obvious cost cutting).

Features: This is where this car really has a pull factor cos it's pretty much loaded to the gills, only missing HID / LED headlights and the safety assist systems (Lane assist etc) available overseas.

Price: You can get it lower than what is advertised as they have different pricing tiers and various discounts so while it isn't cheaper than the competition (depending on what you go for), it does come with alot of features that most don't have, like heated/ventilated seats, memory (and not just power operated) driver's seat and blind spot assist.

Drive: Different drive modes to choose that affect the steering and accelerator response as well as transmission. Overall, not a significant difference felt between the modes. Steering is pretty light with weighting in the sport setting feeling just nice for me, without being too light. The steering on center feel was abit dead though, and the weighting felt abit artificial but it's stuff you can overlook in a BnB car.

Acceleration is fine if you're not comparing with the turbovharged competition, pretty responsive (though the test route wasn't that long so then again, not really a comprehensive evaluation). Handling was surprisingly decent with little body roll when taking corners and a surefootedness in the way it steers. Ride was quite comfortable.

Features
Design
Improved Quality compared to the past
Decent driving performance

Cost cutting seen in obvious places like the door panel trim
lack of HID/LED headlights
Standard leather quality didn't feel very premum
Small 16 inch rims even on Elite trim

Daniu82
Premium User Daniu82
426 forum posts Joined on 07-Oct-2004
Car well worth the money  Posted on 05 Dec 2016

I got my Hyundai Elantra Elite for 1 month, so would like to provide a personal review of this car. The look of the car both interior and exterior is great! The stability and handling are to my expectations. The features that comes with the car are a lot and very conti-like. Pick up is good and FC is about 13 - 14 km/L. Just that the road noise is slightly loud on some parts of SG roads and my car got a wind sound that is coming from the driver side mirror which KMC is unable to completely solve for me after the 1k servicing, will be going back again and hope they can solve this problem. Another issue is the slow response of the GPS when leaving an underground carpark or MSCP.

- Styling of the car (interior and exterior)
- Handling and stability
- FC
- Features like blind spot warning, reverse camera, auto headlights, seat "air con"

- Slightly loud road noise
- Slight imperfections like wind whistling sound at driver side mirror and slow response of GPS

Leoeve
Premium User Leoeve
78 forum posts Joined on 11-Nov-2012
Most spacious car in class  Posted on 03 Dec 2016

One of the most value for money car in the market currently. Second ride own so far.The design is quite similar to i40 own by taxi, could be sportier to made a different.

spacious, comfy seats, good FC <currently still on 1st tank, half tank had achieved 350km mileage, 80% HW>, good leg room for rear passengers, nice body kit throw in by SE.
reasonable pick up speed.

the radio station keep jumping off to other station, will flag out during servicing.
only 3 free labor service
nice if basic model comes with sun roof as well.

BlitzStryker
Premium User BlitzStryker
61 forum posts Joined on 06-Oct-2016
Review below based on a 15 minutes test drive and hours of research online and seeing it in the showrooms  Posted on 11 Oct 2016

Decent and mature exterior looks, prefer the Red or Black model as it's the most trendy looking one. Interior quality is good, very upmarket and premium with lots of soft touch. Only gripe is the center console compartment, very plastic in touch and hollow sounding, they should have use a better quality material as the center console compartment is used frequently.

However interior space is great, especially at the back seat. Transmission bump is almost non-existent at the center and legroom is pretty decent, almost to Vezel standard. Back windows are also large and airy.

Engine noise is well insulated and engine response is kinda sufficient for the car, not too sure of fuel consumption though.

Lot of tech gizmo! Bang for buck. Aircon seat is truly a gem in our weather, please try it to know how it feels. Side mirror also will tilt down when reversing and front seats will shift back automatically when exiting, making it easier to exit, very good and considerate gestures. Well done hyundai!

Probably FC? And maybe the design, please bring in the body kit. Saw 1 Elantra with body kit at the showroom private carpark, they have bought in for a roadshow. The body kit brings the Elantra design to a whole new level, sufficient to pit against Civic.

smurfie78
3 forum posts Joined on 04-Aug-2016
Heavy drinker  Posted on 12 Sep 2016
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Normal performance but abnormal fuel consumption. Have been warned about hyundai fuel consumption but didn't expect it to be that bad. Normal driving only achieving 9~10lm/l. People claiming 14lm/l must be driving like a mouse and road road hoarding. Stereo is weak with toy speakers.. After market head unit a joke and GPS tends to hang. Salesperson promise minimal and failed to delivered minimum.
did i mention my first serving took 4 hours at komono?

looks like audi drives like hyundai

nothing...stuck with it and making myself love it.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »