Related Articles

Audi models star in 'Fifty Shades of Grey'

Orders now being taken for new Audi Q3 in Germany

The latest generation of the Audi A3 series

How to get the best deal when buying a car

Car Review - Audi A3 Sedan 1.4 TFSI S-tronic Ambiente (A)
14 Apr 2014  |  Audi Reviews
The Audi A3 sedan looks smart inside and out, drives exceptionally well and is positively frugal, distinguishing itself from the rest in its segment.
Facelift

The Audi A3 Sedan was facelifted on Sep 2018. Read more

Consumer Reviews of Audi A3 Sedan

4/5 Reliability
4/5 Interior Design
3/5 Engine Performance
10 out of 14 (71.4%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Leontan
Premium User Leontan
59 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
One of the best driveable car around  Posted on 20 Aug 2018

The 1.0T car is quiet, with a solid chasis, nice handling while FC is good. It's a car that you drive daily but wouldn't get sick of it quickly.

Quiet
Still maintain multimedia system after engine off. Multimedia will shut-down when door is open
Sharp handling
Drive mode selection - dynamic is very good yet gives pretty good FC of 12 km/l with a heavy foot
Overtaking is a breeze!
Virtual cockpit is awesome! Of course, the pricing is steep for this add-on as well
LED signal lights are very nice
Comes with sport pedals
Brake is good
Rear aircon

Multimedia unit does not have USB
Audi app does not have much features
Legroom wanting
No side holders at the passengers area
Only driver seat is electrically controlled
Only front doors can trigger keyless entry
Stock 16" rims :(
Start and stop has significant delay
Suspension is good but wear pretty fast
Not very sporty looking. Some "enhancements" to be done haha

andrewman520
0 forum posts Joined on 24-Jul-2018
Driving 400Km in Malaysia Johor and the car perform exceptionally good!!  Posted on 24 Jul 2018

Get the car two weeks ago. From the exterior, it didn't tell the difference between 1.0T or 1.4T(from the previous version). But I expect the car to perform moderately. Because you really can't expect too much from a 1.0 car.

Within Singapore, cause the highway is limited speed at 90-100km/hr. So I found the power of the car are enough to handle the overtaking and expect when the car speeding above 90km/hr, it will become less comfortable to handle.

But beyond my expectation, Audi A3 sedan 1.0T perform very good and exceed my expectation.

So after one week, I decided to give a try on a long road trip and highway in Malaysia.

I drive the car in malaysia highway aroun 110km/hr. This car perform still very good consider that the road condition in Malaysia and Singapore are quite different.

The overtaking has no problem at all! Well done Audi.

Power and handling
Interior are simple yet functional
keyless entry
reverse camera are great.
electric parking button

the back space are small, so after I put a baby carseat, there is less space for 2 adult to seat.

petrolpump
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Apr-2018
No bang for the buck  Posted on 24 Apr 2018
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Test drove the A3 among other cars and I felt the A3 was overpriced for what it was being packaged with.

Engine seemed smooth and enthusiastic but I did not try on an spiral car-park incline, which these engines are notorious for giving a stall like feeling.

Sound insulation was no better than my 7yr old Altis - which is regarded as a fail for me. Built-in sound system not all that great.

Rear space is tight if you are 1.78-1.8 meters tall. My knees were touching the back of the driver seat which was adjusted for my comfort level.

No rear cup holders and rather pathetic and ugly looking 16" Rims was a bug turn down for me. Pockets behind the passenger/driver chair are netted and not one piece leather.

No Apple Carplay or Android Auto either. No USB charging port which seems a standard these days with even a cheapest Korean car. Personally I feel seats are not that comfortable and lack the cushioning.

SEs in my opinion were rather unprofessional. SE kept asking for credit card for every enquiry/request that we made. The 3-cylinder dry clutch kept reminding me of the VW gearbox which was laden with probs.

Overall, I would say on the exterior its a nice looking car minus the rims and in the interior not much comment. And yes, no memory seats where there are typically 2 drivers in a family it becomes a hassle to every time adjust the chair.

If Audi can package a better set of rims with memory seats, rear cup holders and get rid of the net pocket behind the passenger and driver seat it will definitely help buyers to give Audi a re-think. Otherwise, just lower the price.

In the end got me a Megane which had everything and cost me a lot less.

DLR Lights
Dynamic turn signals
Exterior - minus the rims
Performance on a level surfaced area
Low Road Tax

Cabin noise poor sound insulation
Average sound system
No Apple Carplay / Android Auto
No memory seats (A MUST HAVE IN THIS DAY AND AGE)
No rear cup-holders
Pathetic 16" rims (takes the beauty out of the A3)
The SEs that I met did not seem enthusiastic or humble.

kohzcm
Premium User kohzcm
82 forum posts Joined on 31-Mar-2016
Great luxury car for a first continental car.  Posted on 04 Dec 2017

Got my A3 during end Nov and love the ride since. Ride performance has been great given that it is only a 1.0L car. Overtaking and pick up is now much better than my previous non-turbo charged cars.
Space is acceptable and cabin insulation is not the best but not bad too.

Engine Performance

MKA
MKA
9 forum posts Joined on 19-Mar-2016
Simply loving it!  Posted on 28 Jul 2017

Got my ride recently and it is the best decision that I have ever made.Been driving Japanese makes all along and decided to give conti car a try.The A3 indeed woos me with its luxury feel!

Interior is amazing and definitely cannot be compared to my previous 4 rides.The luxurious leather seats and the finishings are really down to its finer details and this is what makes Audi stand apart from the rest.

Boot space is large and the car is pretty low too.The exterior grille can be improved with a chrome finishing instead of the current black one.Rear dynamic indicators oozes class and front LED lights are sharp and easily recognisable.

The 1.0 litre turbocharged engine is responsive and acceleration is excellent.Should have another option of a 1.4 litre turbocharged just like the model before the facelifted one.Pricing is definitely on the high side but if you are looking to own the iconic 4 rings,this car should definitely be on your wishlist.

luxurious interior

dynamic indicators at the rear

fuel consumption

LED headlights and daytime running lights

should have an option of either the 1.0 or 1.4 litre turbocharged engine.

black front grille can be improved.

No virtual cockpit.(should have come as standard just like other bigger models.)

Jem_Q
0 forum posts Joined on 03-May-2012
2017 Audi A3  Posted on 19 Jun 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Looking for a conti upgrade from my current Japanese sedan with a family of 3 and a budget of 130k+. Possible options include, the Golf, Astra, Q30 and the A3 sedan.

Test drove the A3 at Leng Kee. Staff at Leng Kee were very professional. I was impressed at the level of attention and care given to every potential customer. In contrast to the treatment I received across the road at Infiniti, where the SE gave me the impression that he did not want me to waste his time to go on a test drive.

Engine: The new A3 sedan comes with only the 1 litre option. While this saves money on road tax and fuel, it feels under powered compared to the previous 1.4 model I also test drove last year.

Even though Torque remains at 200Nm, you have to floor it for the car to overtake, and the engine note feels strained. I admit for a 1 litre it feels quick, but was hoping for more power then the previous model, not less.

Exterior: LED Dynamic head lights are a nice touch, but everything else looks pretty much the same despite face lifts. 16 inch 5 spoke Rims look just as plain and ugly as the previous model's multi spoke. You really have to upgrade to at least 17 inch!

Interior: Now comes with a sportier 3 spoke steering wheel and push start button as standard. I like the clean minimalist design of the cabin and MMI is easy to use with android and apple car play. I must admit the A3's cockpit is a very nice place to be in with the premium feel and soft touches.

Comfort: Electric seat for the driver now standard. Back seats leg room is good and best for 2 adults below 1.7m. I am 1.75 and my head was touching the roof. There is also a high hump which prevents any adult from seating even remotely comfortably in the middle. Decent suspension and cabin insulation is excellent.

Drive: Handles very well and very easy to pilot. Steering is sharp and responsive.

Value for money? I would say honestly no. At the price of around 135k there are better more practical options out there.

Plus no virtual cockpit or blind spot monitoring or memory seats, unless add on at much extra cost. Unless owning a premium brand entry level car is your main objective, I would suggest to give the new A3 sedan a miss.

1) Minimalist interior design

Mrleaf
Premium User Mrleaf
15 forum posts Joined on 14-Sep-2008
Value for money and powerful turbo engine  Posted on 16 May 2017

Gotten the 1.4L model pre facelift, and it was the best decision I ever made. Comes with cruise control, keyless entry, electric start, cruise control, and love the Turbo engine the most

Turbo 1.4L engine was powerful
Features were good
Comes with solar film and front/rear cameras
Nice car shape
Classy interior

Slightly tighter seats behind but not an issue if seldom fetch people

Jega_m
12 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Disappointment on After Sales with Audi  Posted on 12 May 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I have posted my earlier reviews based on my Audi A3 Sedan 1.0 TFSI Model.

I am posting here my reviews on the "After Sales Experience" With Audi

Knowing not many Technology features such as Audi Connect, Apple Carplay / Android Auto, Google Maps are working in my supplied A3 where I paid for the Optional Virtual cockpit at full price ...

Driving Pleasure with my Audi A3

To my great disappointment, I was told that my car did not have many features

1) Virtual Cockpit unit supplied without USB for Audi Smartphone Interface
2) MMI Navigation Plus with VC - But to surprise not 3G/4G SIM card enablement

So you simply cant use any way to connect your Apple/Android to VC or Audi MMI, except for making/receiving Bluetooth Handsfree calls

3) The Map Supplied is absolutely need to be updated every year at a cost, which is not good

The Level of response with Audi after sales is totally not to the highest standard and it takes weeks for even getting a proper response.

Even though I like lot of my Audi A3, the After Sales experience really puts me to write this Review,

So Please be sure to ask What you get against What you pay ! and DONT Assume...

Jega_m
12 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Excellent Car with Audi Latest Technology and Comfort  Posted on 14 Apr 2017

Safe and Great rides with my Audi A3 sedan with lovely facelift.

Performance wise great and impressive with Turbo charged 1.0 Engine which is similar to any other Premium segments cars & comparable to even Audi 1.4 versions.

It has lot of features so liked the Audi.new MMI multimedia interfaces.
I bought an optional Virtual Cockpit... convenient and safe for the driver using Virtual cockpit within the steering easy controls...

Back rear seat space comfortable with enough Leg room & head room for 2... middle a bit tight

Boot space, Interior & Many Safety features are excellent.

Costlier with Optional Virtual Cockpit
Audi local dealer PA seems to sell Not Audi drive recording camera
& Not selling Audi original reverse camera

No Lane Assist
No Apple or Android connect & No Google maps integration - Disappointment on a Audi.

Pigjedi
Premium User Pigjedi
14 forum posts Joined on 27-Feb-2017
Stylish and comfortable. Great car in a small package.  Posted on 09 Mar 2017

The Audi A3 is a luxurious and comfortable ride, not losing in quality to his bigger brothers. Yet the 1.0L petrol is strong enough to make you feel this is a 1.6L. Plenty of torque if you put your foot down. 0-100 in 9secs is incredible for a 1.0L engine.

The exterior styling is sporty and sharp. Face-lifted model has sharper lights and a fiercer grille. Also, the dynamic indicators just makes the car so much cooler.

The interiors are simple and well designed. They are not cluttered and the MMI system is refreshed and easy to use. The quality of the materials are top notched.

The space at the back are slightly tighter. But more than sufficient for 2 adults and 1 child. Not for people who are looking for mid size sedans. This car is a compact sedan for a reason.
However, comparing the space to other cars in its segment, space is big compared to them.
The Boot is also big in its class.

Handling is sharp. Driving is fun. The cabin is quiet.

This car is definitely for people who are looking to get their hands on a luxury car but not looking to shell out a lot more money for bigger sized models.
What they get is Audi quality at an entry level price point.

-Comfortable and quiet cabin
-Low road tax but good engine performance
-Great fuel efficiency ratings
-Big boot for its segment
-Audi high quality materials
-LED headlights, paddle shifters, dynamic indicators, dynamic suspension, 7 air bags as standard in Singapore

-Knee room and head room is only just sufficient for adults up to 1.85m. Any taller and they will have problems at the back.
-Virtual Cockpit (VC) add on is over priced
-No paddle shifters with VC
-No rear armrest as standard

0 forum posts Joined on 12-Feb-2017
Warning to would be Audi owners  Posted on 05 Mar 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

This is not a review on A3 but a warning to all would be Audi owners. If you thought the price is cheap, think twice, thrice and twice-twice. Audi loves to lower price even much more than the drop of coe. At the end you are holding a car which paper value much lower than loan you stuck at la la land with no other options.

Any other cars fare better than Audi. Don't buy Audi.

Not applicable

Not applicable

curryzerox
Premium User curryzerox
6 forum posts Joined on 08-Mar-2016
A car that ticks most boxes for the young executive  Posted on 11 Feb 2017

Yes this car is basically a luxury sedan version of the VW Jetta. So is the Porsche Macan a luxury Q5. Who cares anyway? This car is awesome in its own right. You get a much smoother ride, a compact yet sufficient size (its kinda like a Golf but a sedan version) and its power is rather sufficient. This is an affordable premium sedan so a small engine size is its compromise but the 1.4L is no slouch and rather fun to drive.

If you're looking for a good looking premium car and you're ok with not loads of raw power, with most necessity features in a minimalist package, I think this car ticks most of the right boxes.

- S-tronic DSG gearbox
- Light and precise steering
- Comfortable suspension. Not overly soft yet gives you a good feel of the road in a premium Audi sort of way.
- Multi-media interface (MMI) super easy to use and phone connectivity (not laggy too)
- Quiet ride
- Very fast and responsive sports mode
- Calm, collected and seemingly effortless handling
- Plush and well built interiors
- Exceptional fuel economy (due to its 1.4L engine)
- Foldable screens (you don't even get that in the new A4!)
- Sufficient sized boot
- Rather good brakes
- Good looks

-Nothing

D3vilstar
Premium User D3vilstar
21 forum posts Joined on 19-Feb-2011
Most comfort car i ever test for my budget  Posted on 31 Oct 2016

After testing drive from other makers ,
decided to dropped by PA for an test drive - as it was having promotion at that point of time
an WOW factor as comparing to others - the comfort
more over is quiet

1) the outlook
2) Comfort Drive

lack of features

- no USB port
- no car play function
- not supported chinese language during bluetooth play function !

bahomet
Premium User bahomet
0 forum posts Joined on 23-Jan-2014
The next best thing to the A4  Posted on 08 Jul 2016

This is perfect for someone like me who can't really afford a Cat B car, but want something that screams premium German.

At its most basic trim, the A3 1.4 TFSI comes with a lot of goodies such as paddle shifters, Bluetooth interface and LED daytime running lights.

Its 123bhp and 200Nm doesn't quite blow me away, but the A3 still manages to make driving fun and enjoyable.

There aren't many cars in the same bracket as the A3, except for maybe the CLA and 2 Series which in comparison to the A3, don't look nearly as handsome and don't fall under Cat A.

High quality interior