Related Articles

Audi unveils facelifted A3

Audi launches the all new Q3

Audi A3 Sportback g-tron gets longer CNG range

Recommended car performance workshops in Singapore

Car Review - Audi A3 Sedan 1.4 TFSI S-tronic Ambiente (A)
14 Apr 2014  |  Audi Reviews
The Audi A3 sedan looks smart inside and out, drives exceptionally well and is positively frugal, distinguishing itself from the rest in its segment.
Facelift

The Audi A3 Sedan was facelifted on Jan 2017. Read more

Consumer Reviews of Audi A3 Sedan

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
9 out of 11 (81.8%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

sundebin
1 forum posts Joined on 02-Nov-2019
Easy driving and nice looking car  Posted on 15 Jan 2020

I bought the car for 3 months. So far it is good experience. It is nice looking, easy handling, comfortable with low noise. FC is extremely good, 50L one tank can go 750 to 850 depends on how you drive. The space is good enough for my family. Also it is anyway an Audi brand! It has most of the useful features like keyless entry, carplay, rear seat aircon, ABS. Good enough for a normal driving.

nice looking
easy handling
Good FC
four rings
Keyless entry

16 inch Rim, but you can change to 18 inch with around 1K top up in outside vendor.

Irelandic
17 forum posts Joined on 18-Nov-2016
Value choice for first upgrade into the conti scene  Posted on 28 Jul 2017

Had the A3 for over a year, and still looking forward to driving it everyday. The looks never grow old, and handling is great coupled with its compact dimensions, especially when compared to the bigger A4. Interior does not feel sub-premium even though it is an entry luxury model, however could do with more features which some mass-market B&B models already have, such as reverse camera and nav.

Got the A3 at only a $14k premium over the Toyota Altis and hence it was a no brainer; A reasonable price to pay to step up to a continental brand from the traditional Japanese makes.

Handling - Quick and stable around the corners

Interior design and quality - Distinctively Audi

Exterior looks

Plenty of aesthetic mod options - Both local sources and overseas options. As Audi is immensely popular in China, there are tons of sellers on taobao selling aftermarket cosmetic and practical upgrades, such as a custom A3 phone holder held by the uniquely designed vents, rear diffusers, spoiler and more. Definitely a plus point if you are looking to make your ride stand out but not spending a bomb on them.

Ride comfort - The 1.4 has multilink suspension at the rear unlike the torsion beam used in the 1.0

Quick and smooth gear changes

Sport mode makes the throttle significantly more responsive and makes overtaking a breeze

Reliability - Changed my clutch twice, first at 8k, second at 28k. Although PA replaced my clutches for free no questions asked as they are under warranty, it is concerning whether my third (and current) clutch will function without fault, and if the clutch is a cost I would have to bear every year after the warranty is up. This occurred despite the fact that I am a light-footed driver.

This would be a great car to hold on to for 10 years if the reliability issues are resolved.

Jwang27
0 forum posts Joined on 04-May-2009
Good Value for Money  Posted on 14 Aug 2016

Have been driving the Audi A3 for 7 months.

Still like the styling and engine performance.

Have to upgraded my RIMs to 18" And selling the original 16" Audi Rims.

Ping me @ Jwang27@Gmail.Com if you are want to buy my 16" RIMs.

Exterior Styling and engine performance.

No key-less entry.

Jwang27
0 forum posts Joined on 04-May-2009
Handsome Looking Car  Posted on 29 Jan 2016

Receive my A3 early Jan at a reasonable price.

Have been driving my A3 for nearly a month and very satisfied with the performance and comfort of this car.

Handsome Exterior Look
Led Lighting - Exterior and Interior
Handling and low road noise

Nothing to be unhappy with the car.

Except: Unhappy with the PA Technical consultant attitude - quite "stuck up" (not user friendly)

Huskybeckham
36 forum posts Joined on 19-Jul-2015
An Overpriced VW Jetta  Posted on 31 Aug 2015
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

When I step into the A3, it feels cramp like the Jetta, which was not surprising as it uses the same Jetta platform. However interior looks updated and pretty well designed. Handling is decent, but feels underpowered.

Really worried about the reliability as I believed it shared parts with the VW, which I became No 1 for reliability issues in Singapore.

For this price point, there are many better options. Unless you want to premium for the Audi brand

1. Interior design is up to date

4. Features and also additional options cost a lot

Jk_nathan
78 forum posts Joined on 15-Jun-2013
A Car that is a Good Fit For Me!  Posted on 15 Jul 2015

My first time writing a car review here. Was looking around for a new car because old car was hitting 12.5yr mark(yes, I extended the COE for 5yrs as crazy as it sounds). Old car was a Nissan Sunny, very reliable car except its fuel efficiency was not great at all. I did not have very deep pockets for a new car but wanted a solidly built 4-door compact sedan with 6 airbags for safety, with good fuel economy and decent power in terms of torque and horsepower. I shortlisted the following Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla Altis, Mazda 3, Volkswagen Jetta. Did not like the feel of the first 3 cars maybe because of Nissan Sunny, other Jap cars felt strange and cheap to me. Volkswagen Jetta felt ok and I almost signed up but hesitated because of its history of quality problems and reviews of poor aftermarket service.

The wife suggested to take a look next door at Audi A3 sedan. I was reluctant because of the price but was sold into it after the test drive. Its got the right feeling for the right price with the most necessary features that I needed. I really could not find anything significantly wrong with it. It was an all-round car like a wife. You know she's no Angelina Jolie. But she's going to look after your kids, do the cooking and groceries, be nice to your parents all the while looking pretty and shapely. Also, she'll accept you even if you're fat and balding and still makes you look good with her by your side. That's how the Audi A3 sedan feels like to me. Like Kevin Hill in the sitcom King of Queens. I bought the Audi A3 sedan in Feb 2015 when COE was around $57k. Done about 8000km in it now.

My fuel economy thus far at best is 14.6km/l on this car but my usual driving profile is 20%Highway, 80%City. Better than the Sunny which used to give at best 12.5km/l. Imagine the fuel economy if it was 80%Highway, 20%City with the A3. Once driving along AYE, the DIS showed 3.9l/100km(mind blowing!).

So, people who are sitting on the fence, especially those Toyota Corolla Altis and Mazda 3 lovers( you know who you are!), please take a look at this A3 sedan. Its just perhaps $10k-$15k more than the Altis but well worth the money. You also won't feel so stressed as if you had bought a Jetta cos A3 quality is way better. And you will definitely look good in it as compared to an Altis or Mazda 3.

1)Fuel Economy
2)Responsiveness
3)Comfort
4)Decent Amount of Luxury for the price
5)Design & Looks(Feels like a athletic and beautiful girlfriend a la Jessica Alba!)
6)Generates right amount of power when needed(like overtaking, lane changing)

Nothing much really.
Well, I would have liked the car to come with keyless entry, push button engine start/stop, Driver electric seat, GPS, Reverse camera, USB charging ports etc. but this would have bloated the cost beyond my pocket. Also, I believe these features can be added with aftermarket products cheaper and better customised than getting it from the factory. For eg. I added Audi original front parking assist sensors w/software at an aftermarket place at approx.50 percent of the price quoted by factory.

zerobim08
1170 forum posts Joined on 06-Feb-2015
A premium and a highly efficient car that is stylish  Posted on 28 Apr 2015

This car main draw for me is the interior with its minimalist and practical design using high premium quality materials. This car interior is made to be admired and gives a mixture of nostalgic and sporty feel. Interior room is sufficient for normal size family but middle rear passenger may feel a bit squeezy due to rear aircon vents. The exterior design is beautiful with its straight body lines ending with a beautiful sloping coupe-like back. Sound insulation is pretty good with barely discernible engine, wind or outside noise. However, on rough or broken road surface some tyre noise does intrude into the cabin.

The turbo-charged engine coupled with the dual-clutch gearbox accelerates the car effortlessly with smooth gear change. It is not blazingly fast but nevertheless it is very responsive and quick in overtaking on the expressway and moving off from the traffic lights.

The only concern I have is the reliability and durability of the dry dual clutch gearbox and turbo engine. From internet, the 1.4L engine in the A3 is a new improved design to take advantage of MQB platform which this car is based on. Also, I read that gearbox has been improved to overcome problems previously (well..Keeping fingers crossed). For me, my buying decision is that I do not want to give up the many tangible benefits this car has over competing models for a "What if" Probability that the car may not be as reliable. Anyway, the pricing of the car is just too attractive. The price I paid is just roughly 10-12% More than bread-butter cars like Toyota Altis, Mazda 3 or Honda Civic. Other similar luxury brand cars like Merc CLA180 or BMW 316 the price is at least 25% More.

The A3 sedan fuel consumption is way up there with diesel car. The best I got for a long distance drive was 24.7km/l. For normal daily commute usage I was able to achieve about 17.5km/l with about 30/70 (city/highway) under peak hour traffic.

-The round turbine air vents with integrated air flow adjuster and multimedia screen that rises out from the dashboard.

- Taillights cluster futuristic design. And the front and back having separate LED DRLs

- Highest safety rating from IIHS and NHTSA/NCAP.

- Protruded rear aircon vents and transmission hump

- Stock 16in many spokes rim. Looks dated and difficult to clean

- Engine braking and occasional jerk when slowing down at low gears.

- Smart key, GPS navigation and reverse camera are separate payable options

Privacy
1969 forum posts Joined on 20-Feb-2015
$140k sedan car without even a driver electric seat!  Posted on 20 Feb 2015

Electric seats are a norm now, even with korean cars.
No push start either.
Sound proofing is good, can really hear the music clearly.
Boot space is fair given that it's a small sedan.

attractive pricing if electric seats and pushstart are included.

Sound proofing is good, can really hear the music clearly.

No push start and electric seats

zhehao
48 forum posts Joined on 08-May-2014
Great car compared to its german competitors  Posted on 24 Jan 2015

Hi all, it has been 2 months since owning the Audi A3. Just finished washing and waxing the car. Thought i would share my thoughts and do a mini review on the car so far.

So far the car has been pretty good.. Not much problems. At first i wasn't used to the DSG gearbox. After two months i am gotten used to it already and once you get used to it, i think it is actually quite a good gearbox!

1. When the car is coming to a stop, sometimes the car will might not be that smooth as it down shifts. Simple fix for this is to put the car to neutral and cruise to a stop. That way it is much smoother when coming to a stop. If traffic light turns green, just put it to drive and step on the gas pedal. The transition is smooth. No jerking when shifting from neutral to drive while car is moving!

2. Noticed some body work chipping off
I saw people discussing about this in audi-sport forum but didn't face this problem until i washed the car today. Saw 2 small body paint chip off. 1 on the bonnet, the other on the rear side door. Not really visible unless one looks closely.

3. Great speakers, poor radio reception
The speakers are relatively good on the A3, especially when compared against Japanese cars. However radio reception has been quite poor for me. Have checked with the SA once but they said the electronics are fine and there is currently no fix for this. I will probably ask again when i send it in for first service. Not really acceptable for a car from a premium manufacturer to be honest!

4. Fuel Consumption
Using Shell 98, i am able to get about 625km using 48L. That is 13KM/L. My driving style is mainly smooth acceleration. Maybe once in awhile step on the gas pedal a bit harder to feel the rush. I think the FC number should be better for the most as my work place is just a 5-10minutes drive away with a number of traffic lights. If you are cruising on the highway, it would be much better! When i am travelling on the express way, i can get 5.6L/100KM based on the DIS.

5. Build Quality
Build quality is pretty good! There is a reassuring thud sound when closing the door. Wind noise is well insulated too. I think tyre noise insulation could have been better but it could just be the stock tyres. PA currently supplies Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tyres.

Good Build Quality
Fun to drive with DSG
Small engine but good power output

Poor Radio Reception

ktnpl
164 forum posts Joined on 12-Apr-2014
Good but not great  Posted on 17 May 2014
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

4 cylinder engine sounds rough during moderate acceleration especially compared to my current car which has 6 cylinder. Interior seems nice but current model is disappointing for a luxury make to be lacking in electric seat adjustment and memory function.

Nice looking car and nice interior.
Decent engine performance.

Not very refined during moderate acceleration.
Lacking in some features expected of a luxury car.

Mervynwm
65 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Small and Compact A3 Sedan.  Posted on 23 Feb 2014

Went to test this additional member to the current A3 Hatch...1st impression, looks nicer in a sedan than the usual hatch.

Body styling is nice and is slotted in instead of the usual jutted out most makes or models use.

Inside you can feel the coziness of a conventional Audi, ambiance and quietness of the cabin with adequate gadgets that might surprise you.

Electronic handbrake comes standard, same for the usual like MMI, auto headlights and rain sensors. Can't recall if it comes in both in electric seats, but guess not as only see this comes standard in A5 or A6 and above.

Back passenger space is also ok, only slightly wider than A4 but definitely better than the hatch version.

The drive off was smooth, pickup was good despite being just a 1.4L engine. Along the drive on "D", I just simply throttle and the engine did not jerk, instead it adjusts to my feet to the throttle and accelerates accordingly. Great job to this.

Then salesperson ask me try "S" or Sports mode by just pushing down the gear, almost instantly, the sportiness kicks in and pickup and gear changes simply revs up this car from a "baby" to a "monster".

Overall, it was a good car to have on top of the price but benchmarking against Japs and Korean makes, this is a good catch.

Heard there are 2 versions which one comes basic with crank start and so while the other comes with push start and more features. Do check with Audi to verify.

Finally, guess this A3 sedan is good enough to consider as a compact family sedan or even own use over the A4 sedan now in terms of price, features, road taxes (1.4L over 1.8L) until A4 makes changes later.

Sedan shape
Electronic hand brake
Good pickup in both D and S modes
Excellent and quiet gear changes
MMI with closure or hide it at a push of a button

Price (Thanks to COE)
No other options like sunroof or so can add

Audi A3 Sedan