Related Articles

In a Nutshell: Uber's unhired fleet floods market

Mazda reveals the all new Mazda3

How does VES affect your car-buying decision?

Paint the town red with Motul's Specific range

Car Review - Mazda3 Sedan 1.5 Deluxe (A)
10 Mar 2014  |  Mazda Reviews
The third generation of Mazda's best-selling mid-sized sedan is back. We find out if it still has what it takes to rival its competitors in this spicy segment.
vs
Comparison Tests:
Mazda3 Sedan 1.5 Deluxe (A) vs Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 (A)
   Consumer Reviews of Mazda 3 Sedan

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
4/5 Engine Performance
54 out of 64 (84.4%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 5 ) Next »
ErChianKong
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2018
Nice looking car  Posted on 08 Nov 2018

Nice styling with the right curve in the right space. The mazda 3 also look smart and grown up, giving a professional rather than the little beng feel.

It is a compact car, the backseat is really limited, probably not going to be family friendly. Other than that, the car drives well with nice handling.

Styling, interior quality

Engine cmi for pick up

back seat is for luggage not for human

AndrewTan_142177
5 forum posts Joined on 07-May-2015
Beautiful car inside out but more refinement needed  Posted on 13 Jul 2018

Upgraded from old BK Mazda 3 Lux to the 2L skyactiv with G vector technology.

The exterior and interior are a great improvement over the old Mazda. The ride quality is much more comfortable especially when taking corners.

The engine torque seems to have been moved to the lower range of the rpm perhaps this is how it becomes more fuel efficient as you don’t need to press the gas pedal so hard to accelerate. But the car seems to lose the sporty powerful characteristic when revving the engine of the older Mazda.

I can see how the skyactiv version of Mazda 3 can almost rival the looks of the old Lexus IS 250... However there quite a few detractors that make it not match the quality of luxury class cars. Totally understand that it is going at a good price and still value for money for the practical driver who appreciates good quality.

-Good fuel consumption
-Engine stop start can be controlled with brake pressure
-Good pickup at low rpm. 1500 to 2000rpm is all you need for normal speed driving
-Minimalist dashboard design is clean and not distracting
-Bigger hood and engine bay compared to the old one.
-Much improved engine bay layout
-Much improved interior finishing
-Much improved quality of undercarriage finishing
-Much improved quality of plastic components
-Paddle shifters
-Comfortable drive

-Auto sensing wipers are rather lazy/slow to react to rain
-Suspension makes knock sound when going over hump
-Transmission not so smooth can feel shifting gears (occasionally)
-Car doesn’t accelerate faster if rev past 3k rpm. The old Mazda still has good pickup at 4K rpm
-Factory paint is a bit rough... only soul red color seems nicely done but that’s usually out of stock
-Body roll when cornering
-Engine note is not sporty and zoom zoom like the old one
-The contrast of the HUD speed display is too low and is till find reading the speed on the dashboard easier

Williamleesg
Premium User Williamleesg
1 forum posts Joined on 28-May-2006
My first Mazda  Posted on 19 May 2018

I have always been attracted to Mazda 3 exterior styling with the cool looking headlights and taillights. Never dreamt that one day I would be able to own this car. After dropping by the showroom over a weekend to test drive, I bought the 1.5 deluxe sedan. Interior feels luxury with the heads up display showing not only your current speed, but also the road speed limit and GPS directions. The SkyActiv engine has interesting features like the i-Stop and i-Eloop that helps improves the fuel economy for a car of its class. G-Vectoring Control helps the car to remain more stable by shifting the torque and weight of the car according to the bends you negotiate. Overall, I’m happy to be driving the Mazda 3.

Exterior led lightings
Sunroof
G-Vectoring Control
i-Eloop and i-Stop
Fuel economy
MZD entertainment System

Sound insulation can be better

KelvinTung
Premium User KelvinTung
0 forum posts Joined on 18-May-2014
Loving my ride  Posted on 24 Apr 2018

This is my first Mazda ownership. Test drove the 2017 1.5L deluxe version. I liked it and so decided to buy it. Feels like I'm very much I control of the car. It may look like it has some blind spots given the width and size of the car (I previously drove a smaller car), but its surprisingly quite visible and most of the blindspots are easily visible. Engine wise, its more powerful than my previous car. But the engine may have some lag time response when you floor it. Engine noise audible when starting off. Only gets quieter at higher speed. Sometimes, the gear change takes a longer while with RPM staying at 3k for a while before it changes to the next gear. Perhaps it's me? I don't know... Still haven't went for my 1k servicing yet. Other than that, there's sufficient storage in the boot, leg room at the passesger seat at the back is decent. Loving the sunroof, though I didn't use it. Loving the leather and soft material interval. Makes the car looks like a posh car feel. Overall, loving it!

Stylish exterior
leather seats and steering

I love the rims, but will be better if it can be upgraded to 17" at least
laggy engine at times
No electronic parking break
Single exhaust for 1.5L (looks sportier if there're 2 exhaust)
Noisy engine start
Sound insulation could be better
No BOSE sound system :(

youngza
0 forum posts Joined on 18-Jul-2016
Impressive Features and Styling on a Japanese make  Posted on 18 Feb 2018

Bought my m3 sedan last Nov as a second owner. At the time of purchase, car was just slightly over 2 years old. Was previously driving a 2008 Honda fit so the change was huge. The most common comment you will hear people mention is that Mazdas are more unforgiving on fuel consumption, I can tell you for sure that there's a reason for it. If you even drove one or just open/closed a door, you will know that the car was designed with safety and stability as an important factor. Having won some safety awards, there's no gimmick on Mazda's part. It's a beauty to look at and when you're inside it's no different, leather trimmings make it look luxurious. With the HUD and touch screen entertainment system, it's no wonder why this car is a popular choice. Engine performance wise, skyactive technology keeps the engine at low revs, but if required, the car can pick up speed relatively fast as well. I don't consider myself a heavy foot but the m3 is able to get up to speed relatively easy even with full load. If you look at the vehicle weight, it is relatively heavier compared to similar vehicles in the same segment. That being said, this increase will be notable in the fuel consumption, but in reality you're trading 1-2km/litre for the m3's stability and safety. My wife says she feels very safe in this car and she's much more comfortable driving my baby around in this car.

So far, the only problem i had was with the service centre. Unfortunately on my first visit to Eurokars, i dropped the car off for a simple service at 8 in the morning and was only collect it at 8pm at night. Was also given the pricing list for future service, I can only say that prices are extraordinary. It's the first time I saw that a major service package for a Japanese make can go up to 4digits. Will definitely do my service outside once the warranty period is over.

Beautiful exterior, luxurious and comfortable interior

HUD makes driving feel sleek

Corners well, very stable

Driver's electric seat can be adjusted in many ways

Vehicle auto locks when walking away

Suspension sometimes sound stretched when car is at full load.

Sudden braking can be quite uncomfortable because of the weight of the car, inertia really has its effect on this car.

Aerogen
1 forum posts Joined on 13-Feb-2007
First time car owner  Posted on 14 Feb 2018

First time buying a car and shortlisted either the altis or the mazda 3. Previously was driving my parent's altis and did not bother to test drive the new altis since i reckon toyota's drive is the same. Went to test drive the mazda 3 and I love the drive of it.

Chose the mazda 3 deluxe 2017 version and been driving it for > 1 month. Paid $1k more for the soul red option and no regrets for it. The colour makes the car look sexy! Fuel consumption based on the in-car computer is about 6.5L/100km

- Driver centric feel as the controls are all around the driver
- Mazda commander control for deluxe version
- Stylish looks and good interior for the price range
- Walk away locking feature which is useful

- Hump at the rear is a little high, width of car slightly smaller than other cars in the same segment.
- No auto locking of doors when moving off.

trongpham
0 forum posts Joined on 18-Jan-2018
Car exterior styling beautiful  Posted on 24 Jan 2018

With this upgrade, the Mazda 6's midi will have an overall measurement of 4.580 x 1.795 x 1.450 (mm), 2.700m wheelbase, 5.3m turning radius. And about 155 (mm) below ground level, or 5 (mm) lower than the predecessor. Compared to rivals, the Mazda 3 2017's long wheelbase is longer than the Altis - 2,600 (mm) and is equal to Cerato, but the chassis is higher than the Cerato and Elantra - 150 (mm). Turns on uneven roads or urban climbing.

The sophisticated lines of the exterior!

Nothing!

Extravaluemeal
2 forum posts Joined on 08-Dec-2009
Engaging Drive for the Everyday Driver (in Singapore context)  Posted on 27 Dec 2017

I've been driving the Mazda 3 sedan for 2 months now, and am very happy with it.

My previous car was a Suzuki SX4 from 8 years ago, with a CVT transmission. I test drove the Subaru XV, Infiniti Q30 and Mercedes A180 as well. Among all of them, I loved the Merc the best, but decided to go for a more financially comfortable purchase in a Japanese car. Had I had loads of cash, it would be the Merc definitely.

Back to the Mazda 3. One of the main reasons I chose it over the Subaru, was because it had an automatic transmission, and not a CVT transmission. Having driven a CVT for the past 8 years, and experiencing the same disengaging feel of another CVT in the Subaru's acceleration, I wanted a more shiok feeling when accelerating. The Mazda 3 does not disappoint in this area. Although, I must emphasize that this is just a feeling/sensation, and does not really translate into getting the driver/passengers anywhere quicker, especially in our urban traffic. I am not sure about other CVT cars, but when compared to my previous car, the Mazda's automatic one is quieter at higher speeds.

With only a 1.5L engine, the acceleration might feel more sluggish compared to other cars with more horsepower, but once you get used to this car, you'll know the sweet spots to optimize the acceleration. Do note that if comparing with other 1.5L cars, the Mazda does have a higher compression ratio. This means it should squeeze out more power than other 1.5L engines, although it might mean more wear and tear over the long term (probably just replacement of not-too-expensive consumables like rubber gaskets, etc.).

The interior is one of the better ones for cars in this price range.

I would recommend getting the deluxe version, as it comes with HUD (the main dial on the dashboard is for RPM, not speed, so this heads-up display is a nice to have, LED headlights (which look really nice) and dual-zone temperature control for driver/passenger. It comes with rain-sensor wipers too, but it does take some getting used to, because it's not perfect in detecting the rain intensity. It has GPS navigation too, but you're better off using your phone's maps. The deluxe version has a higher OMV which when compared with the difference in the selling price, seems to be a more value-for-money option.

Victor68
Premium User Victor68
Turbocharged
4072 forum posts Joined on 07-May-2005
Reliability and value for money  Posted on 11 Aug 2017

Booked a M3 standard and took possession of the car in July '17. Reason for buying this car is simple. It is among the the cheapest Japanese made with reasonable features and finishes. Closest will be Subaru Impreza with a few thousands more.

Most standard vs deluxe model would exclude sunroof, keyless start, HU, etc. Surprisingly, most of the items missing from M3 standard are things I don't really need. AD throws in HU, reverse camera and leather seats which are essential in my opinion. It would be perfect to include the day running light for the standard version.

The finishes are good because I compared them against Impreza and Civic (Thai made model).

1) Has to the price (of course I cannot take COE into consideration)
2) The interior layout and finishes.
3) Handling and feel on the road.
4) The external front and grilles

1) I think power is lacking for 1.5 litre but I have not really tested hard enough.
2) Road noise insulation
3) Hope they can set the i-stop to permanent last setting. I prefer it off
4) For sedan, the back too round. I am installing a spoiler to break the line.
5) the back row centre hump too high
6) I am not so use to the engine noise. Same for Impreza when your rev up the engine. My previous ride, Honda Stream, I don't hear this. Maybe for some, it is a sporty feel.

tang_sh
Premium User tang_sh
0 forum posts Joined on 17-May-2015
No Frills Family Car  Posted on 06 Jul 2017

Test driven this car with 3 passengers. Simple, minimalist layout. Fairly comfortable ride. Head room a bit tight for taller rear seat passenger. Feature list a bit limited. Storage space limited. Pickup adequate.

Comfortable ride

FuDiAnZ
Premium User FuDiAnZ
1 forum posts Joined on 16-Apr-2014
Sleek Looking, Superb Handling  Posted on 11 Jun 2017

This is my review after around 4 months of ownership, 2016 Mazda 3 Sedan, Deluxe.

Engine Output:
With just 118hp & 150Nm of torque on paper, it may seem underpowered but after a test drive with a full load of passengers the power is adequate. But this is subjective as my previous car is a 2006' Toyota Vios.

Handling:
This is where the car really shines, it feels very planted and gives you confidence when cornering, Mazda did a good job in the suspension, firm enough to corner well but not firm to the extent where comfort is sacrificed.

Equipment & Interior:
Go for the Deluxe model, I think that when compared with to their Japanese competitors, it have one of the nicest interior and a pretty impressive equipment list for that price.(A Deluxe model cost less than a base spec Altis when I get this car)
The interior is very well designed, I like the red stitching and the design of the dashboard with the HUD, many friends who got a ride in my car actually thought that this is a Conti-car until they saw the proud Mazda badge.

Fuel Consumption:
It depends a lot on your right foot, my worst fuel consumption is 8L/100km and the best is 6L/100km. But most of the time it stays around 6.8L-7.3L/100km.

Sporty Interior & Exterior
Many Mods & Accessories available from Tao Bao
Reasonable Petrol Consumption
I like that my gearbox isn't a lifeless CVT
1.5L meaning you get some savings on your annual road tax as compared to its 1.6L competitors
the HUD
The infotainment system is not laggy or feels cheap because it is not locally fitted.

Not enough storage space inside
16' rim a little bit too small
Rear Legroom a little small when compared with its competitors

Ingenius
Premium User Ingenius
NOS-ed
3447 forum posts Joined on 19-Sep-2009
Nice to look , nothing much more.  Posted on 06 May 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I drove this which is my bill's car for two weeks. This car's interior space is an improvement from the last model, however it is definitely not the most spacious or comfortable among other b&b cars. If looking for comfort, there are better ones. The design is modern, and this will attract buyers just base on this alone. However, the fc is lousy by today's standard, it averages about 11km/l . Power wise, it is still underpowered as compared to other b&b cars, even the korea makes are better. Somehow this Mazda 3 doesn't seem responsive, perhaps due to the lethargic gear box and low engine output. However, it handles well and it has a planting ride.

Good assuring handling
Modern design

Less than ideal fc
Noisy engine produces little power
Poor ergonomics especially interior usable space
Ride is uncomfortable
Too many uber cars are Mazda 3

Privacy
1836 forum posts Joined on 20-Feb-2015
Engine Vibration @ idling when i-stop is disabled  Posted on 22 Nov 2016
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Bought a brand new mazda 3 from eurokars in Aug 2015.
Vibration issues not solve till date.
Buyers beware = when your i-stop is disabled and gear is in D, the car will vibrate like a lorry.

Went to eurokars to resolve the issues for XXXX times...But till date no solution offered. Apparently it is not an isolated case.
piece of junk....Will never buy mazda again.

seetyang
0 forum posts Joined on 03-Sep-2014
Love and hate of the Mazda 3  Posted on 05 Nov 2016

I have been driving Mazda 3 for more than 1.5 years and there are good and bad of this car.

The goods are well-design for both interior and exterior. Fuel consumption is above average (about 6.1km/l). Value for money (got sunroof, GPS, Bluetooth, heads-up speedometer, GPS direction also show on the heads-up)

The bad are poor suspension/shock absorber. There is a "Knock sound" Heard when driven over a hump especially when it's wet. Poor sound insulation. Start-stop can be quieter with lesser vibration. No auto door lock when driving. GPS map update like no update eg TPE exit into CTE had already moved for quite some time but still not updated yet. Lastly on one occasion, the engine cannot start while waiting at the traffic light. Battery light, engine light and i-stop light all on. Luckily took me a minute or less to switch off the engine and start again. Panic for a while.

The design
Fuel consumption is good
Value for money (quite a number of gadgets)

Suspension/shock absorber got "knock" sound over hump
Start-stop noisy and vibration
No auto door lock when driving
GPS map update very slow

BlitzStryker
Premium User BlitzStryker
74 forum posts Joined on 06-Oct-2016
Review below based on a 15 minutes test drive and hours of research online and seeing it in the showrooms  Posted on 11 Oct 2016

Great exterior looks, especially for the Soul Red for extra $500. Interior quality is good, very upmarket and premium with lots of soft touch. More so than Elantra and Vezel.

However interior space is lacking, especially at the back seat. Transmission bump is slightly high at the center and legroom isn't the best. Back windows are also slightly small, making it looks smaller than usual.

Engine noise is slightly vocal and engine response is kinda slow, not instantaneous.

Looks outside and inside, sunroof, heads up display and the car control unit.

Noise insulation and space is lacking

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 5 ) Next »