Related Articles

The new hip and trendy Carens

Kia announces host of upgrades for the Carens

Kia launches Cerato K3 Sports and new Carens

Vehicle sales and transfers to go online

Consumer Reviews of Kia Carens Diesel

4/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
3.5/5 Interior Design
4/5 Engine Performance
5 out of 7 (71.4%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Longwei
3 forum posts Joined on 20-Jan-2011
Value for $$ compact MPV  Posted on 09 Jul 2018

Bought this car for my expanding family and this car comes with many features which we were impressed.

Torque pickup is good and definitely no problems with full load in the car. However suspension is on the soft side which sometimes feels like a boat ride at the rear seats

-Seat Cooler
-Good Torque
-Diesel Engine

-Soft Suspension

opgamerkkhk
15 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
5 seater, not seven  Posted on 08 Jun 2018
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Treat this as a hatchback and it will be pretty practical, but it is too expensive and i rather get a golf. Treat this as an mpv, sure with the last two seats for ah piaos on the seventh month. Performance is mehh.Get the vw touran which is much more spacious, miles away from this interior and much more powerful.

Quite fuel efficient
Price quite reaasonable
torquey engine
high levels of equipment for 100k(ventilated seats?)
10 year engine warranty

loses puff after 60+km/h
Super small 3rd row seats
small boot compared to other cars like touran, picasso and grand scenic

benettonsong
0 forum posts Joined on 05-Dec-2017
Best Value in its Class  Posted on 17 May 2018

Driving the SX variant, the car is a testament to how far diesel engine have come over the years. Clocked 37k on the odometer so far since getting the car April 2017. The 7 Speed Dual Clutch Transmission is very responsive to the throttle although 1st gear tends to be abit jerky. Kickdown's in the gear are almost instantaneous once you put your foot down, complimented with the car's high torque figure (340Nm), acceleration and overtaking is a breeze on this car. Steering is surprisingly light despite it's relatively heavy weight. The car's insulation is excellent hence there is not much of cabin noise during cruising. Engine is smooth, quiet and refined, friends and passengers honestly couldn't tell it was a diesel engine when sitting in the car. Don't be fooled by its engine capacity of 1700cc, it is a powerhouse especially when the turbocharger kicks in. I'm averaging at about 6.1l/100km (16.4km/l) with 80% Highway / 20% Urban driving, so a full tank to the brim gives me around 950km of range which is honestly exceeds the ranges of all cars I have compared within the same classes such as the toyota wish, etc. Coupled with the fuel as diesel, running cost is economical. It is also loaded with features such as driver electric seat, front ventilated seats (Passenger and Driver) useful for the hot weather in Singapore, cruise control, speed limiter, reverse camera, android auto/apple carplay console, all round parking sensors, etc. Interior is decent, not much to complain for the price you are paying although the 3rd row seats are relatively narrow hence probably for the younger kids or short trips for the adults. On the exterior, the tiger-nose grille on the front gives it a rather aggressive look and on the whole the car looks chic for an MPV/SUV. Would've been perfect if there was an armrest for the driver seats which would add to the cruising experience, but other than that, I do not have much to complain on this car other than the Diesel Particulate Filter had to be replaced 2 times as it was faulty, thankfully covered under the 1 year service package. Other than that, you could drive this car with a peace of mind as it the engine comes with a 10 year warranty as well. Highly recommended to go for a test drive, the car has to be experienced.

- Responsive 7 Speed Dual Clutch Transmission.
- Engine is powerful, smooth, quiet, refined, yet economical.
- Cabin interior is well insulated, minimal cabin noise during cruising.
- Loaded with many features as mentioned in the review.
- Steering is comfortable.
- Decent sound system.
- 10 year engine warranty
- 6 airbags (SX Variant)

- 1st gear tends to be jerky
- No driver's armrest
- Dust tends to collect at the front wheels only although im not sure why, probably something to do with it being front wheel drive.
- Slight turbo lag when ACTIVE ECO mode in engaged.

Melvink
1 forum posts Joined on 05-Jan-2006
Value for money, Spacious and reliable.  Posted on 15 Dec 2017

I've owned this car for 1.5 years. No problems at all. Heavy user with almost 42k mileage and averaging 6.8l/100km. It gets as high as 4.5l/100km on highways (85k/hr), SO a full tank of 54ls gives me about 780km. I've had to replace the turning. (Not directional) lights once at 56dollars.
Ride is surprising quiet and grab hitch passengers are often surprised to know that it is a diesel car. Interior still ok after having 2 kids inside. The touch screen isn't too fantastic or responsive but the sound system is pretty good. Nexen blue tyres do the trick but the car does generate quite a lot of brake dust at the front even with light braking.

Good efficiency and built quality. cabin noise minimal.

poor touch screen.

Faratik
11 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2010
My 1st Diesel and KIA  Posted on 29 Sep 2016

Initially what turned out to be a quest for buying an SUV quickly turned towards the Carens SX Diesel. I was impressed with the new design of the KIA sportage and was quite certain of buying it due to the design, space and good price(for cars nowadays). However when I brought my wife down to the showroom, she instantly fell for the KIA Carens. That was when I actually opened up the car door and had a look. I would say Im very impressed with how far KIA has improved. There's soft touch plastic dashboard, side doors etc. Quality definitely felt a notch better. I liked how the feels felt contoured and hugging.Like most said it, the design is appealing and does not seems bulky or boxy for an mpv. The 3rd row is sufficient if you have a young family like me with small kids. The black roof interior also made it felt premium in a way. Test Driving it was simply awesome. Perhaps I never expected a Diesel engine from KIA to be that fun and engaging. The 7 speed gearbox was also quite fun but a little jerky in the lower gears. Having owned a series of sedans and the last one being a conti BMW, it was hard to getting used to this. But somehow after owning it for 1 week, its not that bad afterall. Its a car that caters for the family, provides adequate power, consumption is also very good. Admist the badge aside, I think this car is definitely value for money considering the hefty 40% Downpayment.

- Design
- Power when you need it especially for spore roads (340nm Torque)
- Interior quality

- No electric seats
- No ventilated seats like the K3
- Ugly 17 inch stock rims for SX
- The KIA Badge stigma still around

Having said that, Its still a wonderful car for the family.

chuacheekeong
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Jul-2016
Disappointed that Singapore EX version is not safe  Posted on 29 Jul 2016
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I am utterly disappointed with c and c on its configuration for the EX model. This is a family car and they reduce the 6 airbags to 2! Since this is a family car, I thought the airbags should not be reduced. Really a deal breaker for me.

Other than that, the car is feature rich. Despite being diesel car, I could not feel much difference from the other cars I test drive this week.

Acceleration and pickup is fast due to its high bhp n torque.

Accelerator is sensitive probably because of their introduction of 'organ' type pedal.

I felt the steering is on the light side but not as light as qashqai. I tested with the heaviest setting.

Seats and info system are locally fitted.

The seat does not look nice, especially the last 2 seats in the 3rd row, reminded me of seats in mini school bus.

The horsepower and pickup.
Big side mirror to reduce blindspots.
Nice exterior.

Interior looks plastic-y.

Quistation
32 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Very impressed by the Carens!  Posted on 27 Apr 2016

I was very impressed by the diesel Kia Carens. The car looks good, has a cheerful look to it. Inside, its spacious and comfortable, and comes pretty well kitted out.

the engine surprised me, and i think is testament to how far diesel engines have come. If i didnt know better, i could well mistake it for a petrol car. The engine is smooth, punchy yet willing to rev, and is quiet as well. The refinement is matched by a comfortable ride and pretty good handling. Despite its size, the car picks up well and is easy to drive.

- good looks
- punchy and refined diesel engine
- spacious interior

- last row of seats a little narrow

Kia Carens Diesel