Related Articles

Rio inspired Astra Copacabana

Opel's new Astra has arrived

Opel reveals all new Astra hatchback

Pre-owned Ferrari ownership made better

Consumer Reviews of Opel Astra Sports Tourer

4.5/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Features
4.5/5 Interior Design
5/5 Engine Performance
5 out of 6 (83.3%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

leejy2
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Jul-2018
Good Features But Bad Fuel Efficiency (Help Needed)  Posted on 26 Jul 2018
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Bought the Astra Sports Tourer 1.0A(T) last Oct.

Features are excellent and car is value for money

As advertised, 23.3km/L fuel efficiency.
I understand advertised fuel efficiency is almost impossible to reach,
therefore was mentally prepared for about 16-18km/L

But after 10 months of driving the car and monitoring the fuel consumption,
fuel efficiency averages at only 8.5l/100km which is equivalent to 11.7km/L

That's way below 50% Of the 23.3km/L that was advertised.

Went for servicing 2 times and raised the issue.
But all they said was that nothing was wrong with the engine.

Driving habits: I do not floor the pedal

Anyone knows what I can do to improve fuel efficiency? As Opel is pushing the blame away from them claiming no engine fault.

Help needed

lawrenceljy
Premium User lawrenceljy
17 forum posts Joined on 14-Dec-2017
Good choice  Posted on 09 Mar 2018

Had changed to Astra due to many problems faced with my previous car AD, not providing prompt service and support and car is starting to give problems after 4 years driving. Took Astra at the end of 2017 last bidding of the COE.

Is a well equipped car and it has a capability of low FC (95 petrol highway 90% and city 10% I am getting 750km out from the 7/8 tank petrol approx 40liters) and still churning out reasonable power on road if required. Cabin insulation is much better than my previous Jap made and Handling is also much better. I am impressed with the car till now. Value for money as of now to me.

Head lamp could be better than Halogen, Rims to be of dark colour instead to avoid the brake dust, Front wiper in operation vibrates excessively. Park assit sensor doesn't provide real distance sesning is abit retarded. 1st and 2nd gear during moving off can be better.

Larcano
Premium User Larcano
0 forum posts Joined on 23-Apr-2017
Most Value for Money Estate  Posted on 24 Apr 2017

When I first saw the price of the car on Facebook ad, it looked too good to be true. Its standard features were only available to premium models of other makes. Nonetheless I went to Opel's showroom to check it out, and also called my dad along for a second opinion.

We were immediately served by SE Teresa who was genuine, patient, and provided great service. I test drove and was impressed by the output of the 1L engine. The handling was stable yet nimble, and in fact resembled my scirocco. Price was a no brainer as this might be one of the cheapest estate on the market considering the features. I signed up on the spot. My dad too was sold and ended up buying the HB variant. Received the car within 3 weeks as I chose stock colour.

Driving one week on, I love the car. Ride is really comfortable. It's packed with lots of safety features and is the perfect family car. MTA gearbox might not be everyone's cup of tea, but should have no problem so long as I remind myself that I'm now driving a family car and not a sports car. First 2 gear changes from stop are a little tricky, but the car has no problem picking up speed once on express way. One gripe though, the paintwork seems fragile as a small part of it actually came off when I carefully opened and rested the door against a wall.

Premium features all packed into the standard model
Great value
Sleek design on both exterior and interior
Hands free auto tailgate
Responsive and comfortable drive
Huge boot space
Rear passenger leg room
Android auto/ Apple carplay
Upfront, no gimmick sales
Owners event which is a nice gesture

MTA gearbox takes some getting used to
Body paint seems fragile

eric_shen
Premium User eric_shen
10 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2016
Got all features that you would like  Posted on 19 Nov 2016

1.4 T is fair powerful, of course not as powerful as the 2.0 T I drive before. But good enough for city driving.
1.0 T actually also good enough for Singapore city driving, it is more powerful than most of the 1.6L even 1.8L engines.
This car has almost all the features and well equipped than all these competitors.
The drive feeling gives more confidence than most of these JPN cars.

features.

no rear aircon

raffleshotel
2 forum posts Joined on 27-Sep-2016
Car Of The Year 2016 Indeed  Posted on 27 Sep 2016

For the past 6 months, we have walked into numerous conti car showroom, test driven many and have in fact decided on the diesel model of an MPV of the ''B'' brand.
Have driven Conti before, switched to Jap and decided it is time to go back to driving Conti again since my current Jap car COE is ending in 6 months time....

Anyway, I stopped by Opel showroom after my attention was captured by their big banner stating that the new Astra is Car of The Year 2016. How can a brand which is little heard of on this tiny island produced a car that can be crowned this glamorous title? I asked myself.

I walked in, test driven the car, and within 90 minutes, I have signed on the dotted line.

This is definitely Car of The Year with so many features packed into its body and at a price I find difficult to resist.
One of the features which was reserved originally for high end Conti vehicle is the motion sensor powered tailgate which opens up at a swing of your leg under the boot. This is THE feature that is so important to us when we have to handle two toddlers and both hands are full with grocery at the same time....This feature is also why I have decided originally on the 'B' brand MPV as it is standard in that model too.

Test drive - quiet interior with an up-market console. Though it is a 1.0 litre turbo engine, it feel much more than that. With 5 of us in the vehicle during the test drive, I must said I was blown away with the power and smooth acceleration this little fellow brings.
With other important safety features such as anti-collision warning, lane keeping warning and park assist, this car is the ideal choice for our family.

Most importantly, the service provided by SE Rufen is sincere and prompt. I have driven the car for a week now and she has been responsive to all my whatspp request and questions. Ask for her!

1. Automatic powered tailgate (motion sensor)
2. Infotainment System linked to my Android phone for endless possibilities
3. Class console - can be mistaken for a high end Conti vehicle
4. Spacious interior - esp the boot space as this is a Estate model
5. 7 inch alloy wheels - as a standard
6. Park assist - ideal for parking in narrow lot with front and back sensors
7. Easytronic gearbox - surprisingly! I can switched to manual anytime I want and I enjoy the freedom to change gear at my will
8. The price
9. Road tax of $300 plus a year

1. The front lights should be LED lights - don't save on these low cost items which has a huge impact on how the vehicle looks at night.....
2. Idle mode - the engine ''rest'' when you stop at traffic light supposedly to save fuel. but it ''awaken'' abruptly when you moves on. You have to switch off this feature every time you starts your engine. Quite annoying

EuroNcap
Premium User EuroNcap
0 forum posts Joined on 05-Dec-2009
Do not judge a car by its engine capacity.  Posted on 09 Jul 2016

This car is car of the year and is a very popular model in Europe. After watching the reviews from Europeans on the web, I decide to give it a test to feel for myself what it is like to drive the 1.0L Ecotec Engine.
I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of this engine. It sure does not performed like a 1Litre Petrol. The torque curve seamlessly sprang this car from halt to cruising speed with ease. It feels like more like a 1.6L+ performance.
The ride is composed and handles well. The ride is comfortable and passengers sits comfortably with good headroom and legroom.
Not many stationwagon on the market can beat this car in terms of features, build quality, performance, cost savings with the nice price tag.

1. Nice Trim and Neat Equipment List
2. Rear Tail Gate - Electric and Remote enabled.
3. Nippy Engine that comes with good Fuel Consumption and Small RoadTax
4. Active Safety Features
5. Good Boot Space
6. Big wheels
7. Good drive comfort and surprising torquey engine performance.

1. Easytronic Gearbox will take some time to adjust.
2. Leather Craftmanship could be better.
3. Slight Oversteer when taking corners