Related Articles

Opel debuts new Astra

Opel develops race car for customers

Opel reveals all new Astra hatchback

10 signs a used car has been in an accident

Consumer Reviews of Opel Astra Sports Tourer

4.5/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Features
4.5/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
8 out of 9 (88.9%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Sush
0 forum posts Joined on 02-Sep-2018
Most practical, safe and spacious family car in Singapore  Posted on 09 Feb 2019

Driving a 1.0L Turbo petrol Intellilux model for over 14 months and I am quite surprised with the bang it gives me for the bucks spent. The space and luxury features are unbeatable at this price point and although it has the form factor of a MUV it drives like a sedan. Add to it the low road tax and fuel consumption and it makes for a compelling proposition. The output from the speakers is phenomenally high and you will mostly use just 10% Of their max power output. Once the rear seats are lowered (which is breeze btw), you get a cavernous cabin large and long enough to accommodate even your furniture! You dont get this kind of space in any of the BMWs (B series) or other SUV/MUVs. Android Auto is a boon. The Intellilux lamps (higher versions) make the car look slick and sophisticated especially at night. Engine is never short of power although the transmission isnt in the same league as other continental makers like BMWs and Mercs. One of the rare cars which has one pinch windows on all 4 sides. Hands free tail gate works well.Power mirrors, configurable power boot.

Luxurious and spacious interiors
Intellilux headlamps
Lane keep assist, 6 airbags, proximity alerts and all round sensors
Speed alerts, traffic sign recognition, cruise control
Largest boot in its class and in general
More than adequate power through turbo engine
FC 20km / L and v low road tax
Dual Multi function / infotainment displays

Transmission not in the same league as other continental cars eg. BMW
Not for petrol heads or flickability in heavy traffic
No walkaway intelligent locking

lawrenceljy
Premium User lawrenceljy
21 forum posts Joined on 14-Dec-2017
Good choice  Posted on 24 Jan 2019

Have been driving the 1.0 easytronic for a year and this model was phased out of Singapore due to VES surcharge.

Daily driving is great for a 1.0 engine and also occasionally mid speed pick up to overtake cars.

Most of the electronic gadgets are of great use except the parking assist as the sensor is slightly retarded and not accurate.

Rear aircon duct would also be a good to have feature for this car as it was quite stuffy for the rear passengers.

Fuel efficiency is the best among all the cars that I have owned maybe is due to the small engine capacity.

As the car model is phased out, worrying on the replacement parts supply on price and lead time.

Interior design
Fuel consumption
Mid range pick up
All the electronics features, Traction control, power windows for all, power tail gate, lane departure assist, collision alert, cruise control, speed limit....etc

Park assist sensors (cannot switch off totally)
Without Rear Aircon duct.
Without Blind Spot alert.

Gohfung
2 forum posts Joined on 16-Apr-2005
Fuel efficiency depends on how you drive the car and usage  Posted on 01 Jan 2019

This review is prompted following the review below on ASTRA 1.0 ST Easytronic fuel efficiency review because I have been driving this model for 16 months on average fuel consumption of 18km/l or 5.6l/100km

How I achieve it:
1. Light footed; Try not to cross 2000rpm after acceleration
2. Use highway as far as possible with cruise control
3. Usage 50% City/50% Highway
4. Use manual mode if you need more power control
5. I drive with the auto start-stop feature turn off because I find the vibration too abrupt when the engine re-start
6. No matter how hard you try, you may get very low instantaneous fuel consumption but it will even out to the figure stated in the first paragraph in the end of the full tank
7. Acceleration wise, i usually keep within 3000rpm; Off course many cars in Singapore will over take me from traffic light but so far no experience of honing though

Disclaimer: this is a 1.0T turbo enhanced engine; The engine power is sufficient for most conditions I encounter so far including long drives to Malaysia. However, for pure city driving (100%) it is not the most efficient and I have to agree to the review below. I would recommend CVT transmission type for fuel consumption consideration in city driving.

- Low road tax and fuel/km travelled
- The features package (handsfree bluetooth (music,phone), touch screen interface etc.)
- The sound system with Apple/Android car play built-in
- Roominess for this compact segment
- Auto tail-gate (really convenient when you come with a handful of stuff)
- AG sales friendly staff and after sales (so far no negative encounter despite several issues all are fixed)

- The Easytronic second gear changes need some get use to; once that is over it is alright for me (the trick is to release the accelerator for split second for gear changes). Afterall, Easytronic is an automated manual transmission.
- For full AT go for the 1.4T model but at different price point

leejy2
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Jul-2018
Good Features But Bad Fuel Efficiency (Help Needed)  Posted on 26 Jul 2018
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Bought the Astra Sports Tourer 1.0A(T) last Oct.

Features are excellent and car is value for money

As advertised, 23.3km/L fuel efficiency.
I understand advertised fuel efficiency is almost impossible to reach,
therefore was mentally prepared for about 16-18km/L

But after 10 months of driving the car and monitoring the fuel consumption,
fuel efficiency averages at only 8.5l/100km which is equivalent to 11.7km/L

That's way below 50% Of the 23.3km/L that was advertised.

Went for servicing 2 times and raised the issue.
But all they said was that nothing was wrong with the engine.

Driving habits: I do not floor the pedal

Anyone knows what I can do to improve fuel efficiency? As Opel is pushing the blame away from them claiming no engine fault.

Help needed

lawrenceljy
Premium User lawrenceljy
21 forum posts Joined on 14-Dec-2017
Good choice  Posted on 09 Mar 2018

Had changed to Astra due to many problems faced with my previous car AD, not providing prompt service and support and car is starting to give problems after 4 years driving. Took Astra at the end of 2017 last bidding of the COE.

Is a well equipped car and it has a capability of low FC (95 petrol highway 90% and city 10% I am getting 750km out from the 7/8 tank petrol approx 40liters) and still churning out reasonable power on road if required. Cabin insulation is much better than my previous Jap made and Handling is also much better. I am impressed with the car till now. Value for money as of now to me.

Head lamp could be better than Halogen, Rims to be of dark colour instead to avoid the brake dust, Front wiper in operation vibrates excessively. Park assit sensor doesn't provide real distance sesning is abit retarded. 1st and 2nd gear during moving off can be better.

Larcano
Premium User Larcano
0 forum posts Joined on 23-Apr-2017
Most Value for Money Estate  Posted on 24 Apr 2017

When I first saw the price of the car on Facebook ad, it looked too good to be true. Its standard features were only available to premium models of other makes. Nonetheless I went to Opel's showroom to check it out, and also called my dad along for a second opinion.

We were immediately served by SE Teresa who was genuine, patient, and provided great service. I test drove and was impressed by the output of the 1L engine. The handling was stable yet nimble, and in fact resembled my scirocco. Price was a no brainer as this might be one of the cheapest estate on the market considering the features. I signed up on the spot. My dad too was sold and ended up buying the HB variant. Received the car within 3 weeks as I chose stock colour.

Driving one week on, I love the car. Ride is really comfortable. It's packed with lots of safety features and is the perfect family car. MTA gearbox might not be everyone's cup of tea, but should have no problem so long as I remind myself that I'm now driving a family car and not a sports car. First 2 gear changes from stop are a little tricky, but the car has no problem picking up speed once on express way. One gripe though, the paintwork seems fragile as a small part of it actually came off when I carefully opened and rested the door against a wall.

Premium features all packed into the standard model
Great value
Sleek design on both exterior and interior
Hands free auto tailgate
Responsive and comfortable drive
Huge boot space
Rear passenger leg room
Android auto/ Apple carplay
Upfront, no gimmick sales
Owners event which is a nice gesture

MTA gearbox takes some getting used to
Body paint seems fragile

eric_shen
Premium User eric_shen
10 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2016
Got all features that you would like  Posted on 19 Nov 2016

1.4 T is fair powerful, of course not as powerful as the 2.0 T I drive before. But good enough for city driving.
1.0 T actually also good enough for Singapore city driving, it is more powerful than most of the 1.6L even 1.8L engines.
This car has almost all the features and well equipped than all these competitors.
The drive feeling gives more confidence than most of these JPN cars.

features.

no rear aircon

raffleshotel
2 forum posts Joined on 27-Sep-2016
Car Of The Year 2016 Indeed  Posted on 27 Sep 2016

For the past 6 months, we have walked into numerous conti car showroom, test driven many and have in fact decided on the diesel model of an MPV of the ''B'' brand.
Have driven Conti before, switched to Jap and decided it is time to go back to driving Conti again since my current Jap car COE is ending in 6 months time....

Anyway, I stopped by Opel showroom after my attention was captured by their big banner stating that the new Astra is Car of The Year 2016. How can a brand which is little heard of on this tiny island produced a car that can be crowned this glamorous title? I asked myself.

I walked in, test driven the car, and within 90 minutes, I have signed on the dotted line.

This is definitely Car of The Year with so many features packed into its body and at a price I find difficult to resist.
One of the features which was reserved originally for high end Conti vehicle is the motion sensor powered tailgate which opens up at a swing of your leg under the boot. This is THE feature that is so important to us when we have to handle two toddlers and both hands are full with grocery at the same time....This feature is also why I have decided originally on the 'B' brand MPV as it is standard in that model too.

Test drive - quiet interior with an up-market console. Though it is a 1.0 litre turbo engine, it feel much more than that. With 5 of us in the vehicle during the test drive, I must said I was blown away with the power and smooth acceleration this little fellow brings.
With other important safety features such as anti-collision warning, lane keeping warning and park assist, this car is the ideal choice for our family.

Most importantly, the service provided by SE Rufen is sincere and prompt. I have driven the car for a week now and she has been responsive to all my whatspp request and questions. Ask for her!

1. Automatic powered tailgate (motion sensor)
2. Infotainment System linked to my Android phone for endless possibilities
3. Class console - can be mistaken for a high end Conti vehicle
4. Spacious interior - esp the boot space as this is a Estate model
5. 7 inch alloy wheels - as a standard
6. Park assist - ideal for parking in narrow lot with front and back sensors
7. Easytronic gearbox - surprisingly! I can switched to manual anytime I want and I enjoy the freedom to change gear at my will
8. The price
9. Road tax of $300 plus a year

1. The front lights should be LED lights - don't save on these low cost items which has a huge impact on how the vehicle looks at night.....
2. Idle mode - the engine ''rest'' when you stop at traffic light supposedly to save fuel. but it ''awaken'' abruptly when you moves on. You have to switch off this feature every time you starts your engine. Quite annoying

EuroNcap
Premium User EuroNcap
0 forum posts Joined on 05-Dec-2009
Do not judge a car by its engine capacity.  Posted on 09 Jul 2016

This car is car of the year and is a very popular model in Europe. After watching the reviews from Europeans on the web, I decide to give it a test to feel for myself what it is like to drive the 1.0L Ecotec Engine.
I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of this engine. It sure does not performed like a 1Litre Petrol. The torque curve seamlessly sprang this car from halt to cruising speed with ease. It feels like more like a 1.6L+ performance.
The ride is composed and handles well. The ride is comfortable and passengers sits comfortably with good headroom and legroom.
Not many stationwagon on the market can beat this car in terms of features, build quality, performance, cost savings with the nice price tag.

1. Nice Trim and Neat Equipment List
2. Rear Tail Gate - Electric and Remote enabled.
3. Nippy Engine that comes with good Fuel Consumption and Small RoadTax
4. Active Safety Features
5. Good Boot Space
6. Big wheels
7. Good drive comfort and surprising torquey engine performance.

1. Easytronic Gearbox will take some time to adjust.
2. Leather Craftmanship could be better.
3. Slight Oversteer when taking corners