Related Articles

How does VES affect your car-buying decision?

New Kia Cerato takes on Seat's Toledo

Kia launches Cerato K3 Sports and new Carens

7 Reliable European Car specialists in North

Car Review - Kia Cerato 1.6 SX (A)
31 Aug 2018  |  Kia Reviews
Well-equipped, spacious and practical, the third generation Kia Cerato is an appealing and affordable compact family sedan that is sure to attract car buyers.
vs
Comparison Tests:
Kia Cerato 1.6 GT Line vs Seat Toledo 1.4 TSI DSG Style
   Consumer Reviews of Kia Cerato

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
18 out of 20 (90%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
HP_Lee
3280 forum posts Joined on 03-Nov-2011
Spacious and eye catching design  Posted on 05 Sep 2019

I had previously drove Altis , Civic1.6L and 1.6L Cruze. I was shopping around for new car due to COE expiring. Went to test drive Mazda, Altis , Civic 1.6L, Avante and Cerato 2019, before making decision. Lastly I have narrow my picks to either Avante and Cerato. Due odd and to many sharp coroners design of the Avante, I ended up with Cerato, which looks smoother and sexy in design.
Just got my Cerato SX 1 month ago. The drive is good and much better road comes with a touch of conti feel. It has all quality looks of nice luxury cars around. Handling when comes to turning around the curve, specially exiting the highways. The pick up from road junction is surprising much better than the older K3s and current stock 2019 1.6 i-VTEC (A) Honda Civic that I have test drive before going for the 2019 Cerato SX. The interior is looks much better the Honda 1.6 Civic. Whereas the 1.6L Civic looks a little plastic.Leg room is almost the same as the 1.6L Civic.
The engine is quiet and smooth. Unless you Rev above 3000rpm, than you hear a roaring sound. It feel impressive and confidence on road. Previously , I have problems with 1.6 Cruze pick up was pretty bad. Now I have much confidence of over-taking. Of course, it is not the fastest car in it's category, but is decent nice car to have. Although Avante having a new 2016 engine drop in, I did not feel the differences in terms of pick up speed and transmissions.
The car also comes with warning alarm, if you do not fully release the hand break.

- Design quality is better compared to Avante and Altis
- Drive is pretty much similar to Avante in terms of pick up speed.
- Fuel consumption is better than my previous Cruze. Currently clocking average 12.5 - 13km/L(City60%/40% Highway)
- Interior space and leg room is larger than Avante and Altis
- Wireless charging
- Sound system is better then Altis and Cruze.
- 2 Climate controls. Aircon power is decent and right of the cabin even in a hot sunny day. Not overpowering which have to rise your voice during conversation.
- Infotainment screen is bigger than Avante and Cruze
- welcome light on exterior door handles.
- Smooth and sexy design.
- lights on the driver and passenger sun shade.

- Road noise due to the low profile tyres it comes with.To reduce the road noise by changing to higher profile tyres.
- Although the size is more or less the same, the front exterior looks smaller than 1.6L Cruze and 1.6 Civic.
- 2 tones interior colour not available.
- Leak of lane departure sensors.
- It will be good , if it comes with 1.4T like the Cruze 1.4T.
- More expensive than Avante's top range1.6 Elite (A), but value for money, if you compare with 1.6L Civic and Altis.

ferrytales
246 forum posts Joined on 15-Jul-2019
Decent car  Posted on 15 Jul 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Test drove the cerato before deciding to purchase the Avante but it was not due to the car being sucky but rather having to deal with C&C is really a headache. You gotta drive a hard bargain with them to waive the loan/trade in requirements and you might not even get it. Delivery time is ridiculously long, just read the comments in the forum and you will know what I'm referring to. Do a simple calculation and you will realize you are paying much more for the Cerato at the end of the day with the accumulated interest and rubbish trade in value from C&C.

There was an online warehouse sale in early 2019 and made a deposit for the display unit which was about 1k or 2k off the list price. Went down to the showroom and the SE told me the following which was a major joke:

1) Waiting time is around 3 months despite the car is ready stock
2) No touch up will be done, selling as is
3) Rubbish trade in value for my old ride
4) Price on the website was wrong and they were not going to honor the deal unless I paid the difference
5) Took 1 month to get back my deposit

With this kind of service from C&C, pretty much explains why Cerato sales are worse than KMC/Borneo/KAH. However, people who care only about aesthetics are still purchasing the cerato despite having to pay an overall higher price. To whoever that bought the showroom display units, hope they did some touch ups for you as I saw that the rear seats were damaged and scratches on the dashboard.

- Nicer aesthetics as compared to Avante
- Drive is pretty much similar to Avante but definitely better than K3
- Fuel consumption should be better than the older K3 and there seems to be improvements in the tuning when I test drove
- Interior space feels larger than Avante
- Dashboard looks futuristic and premium

- No traction control unless you pay more for the highest trim (I asked SE about this and he told me nothing major but the car might be unsafe if you decide to drive around bends at higher speeds or wet surfaces, WHAT? you gotta be kidding me)
- 2 airbags in Cerato vs 6 airbags in Avante
- Almost impossible to find a decent SE from C&C Alexandra branch (proven in the mcf thread as well)

Gabdat
251 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
"Baby" Stinger disappointed me  Posted on 07 Jul 2019

Tried out this "Baby" Stinger at C&C on a hot saturday afternoon. Made me smile but not for long. First look and feel was impressive. After the drive.....Depressive. Still, I would recommend this rather than the Avante. Just for it's sexy looks.

-design. reminds me a lot of Audi and it's bigger sibling,the Stinger
-comfortable front seats
-GT line is the one to get
-many safety features that you can find only on higher end cars
-ventilated cool seats

-over priced. embarrassing cheap plastics at this price
-air conditioning is very weak
-lack of power from it's old engine. only 1 engine option
-noisy interior. poor insulation
-poor fuel consumption
-reliability still a notch below the Japanese

subzero17
58 forum posts Joined on 25-Jun-2019
Extremely Good Value For Your Money  Posted on 10 Sep 2019

Bear in mind, this review does not account the reliability of the car, but with 5 years unlimited mileage warranty and 10 years engine warranty (up to 200k mileage), you can buy with a little more confidence.

I test drove the GT Line variant and I must say it provides a good value for the money. There is nothing over the top but good enough for someone who is looking for a point A to B car that has a stylish exterior and a nice interior for the price.

The driving experience is good - you won't be the last off the line at a traffic light and while it feels a little underpowered and sluggish due to the CVT and 128bhp, I'm sure the CVT will beat out the DCT in long term reliability. The steering wheel is sharp enough at this price range and the pedals are responsive.

If you want to save about 6-8k, you can definitely consider the EX variant but GT Line is my personal recommendation if you consider the safety aspects (GT Line has 6 airbags and front sensors whilst EX only has 2 airbags with no front sensors).

Overall, a solid car for someone who is looking to own their first car and beyond.

Great value for the price
Solid exterior styling and great interior features
Huge boot space
Comfortable rear seats

I don't like that Kia would compromise on safety features to cut cost for the EX - lesser airbags for passengers.

nishan_bandara
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Jan-2019
More than 4-5 months of waiting  Posted on 29 May 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Delivery of Kia Cerato can be more than 4-5 months.. Nearly hitting the expiry of TCOE if you get it in the first or second round of bidding.

Sales agents cannot be trusted at all..

do consider other brands if you do not want to go through a cycle of displeasure with Cycle & Carriage

Good Car

a Worst Agent to deal with

MarkerPen
0 forum posts Joined on 28-Aug-2011
Best value family sedan on the market!  Posted on 17 Feb 2019

The new 2018 Cerato is undoubtedly the best value for a family sedan, IMO. It has a spacious interior which feels bigger than the Corolla Altis and Civic. The exterior design looks sharp and modern, likely to stand the test of time just like the 2009 Cerato Forte which still looks good today. The interior design has an air of European quality about it. The build quality is very decent, probably not up to the standard of the Civic or Altis but you are paying quite a bit less. The SX version has all the bells & whistles even some of its competitors lack - ventilated seats, wireless charging pad etc.

The only letdown is the carried over 1.6L NA Gamma Engine from the previous generation. The engine is touted to have 128bhp but it does not feel as punchy as the figure would suggest. The 6 speed auto is smooth shifting and should prove reliable. It was a misstep not to put a small capacity turbocharged engine in this car which would have made the drive even more enjoyable.

- Looks: inside and out!
- Value for money
- Premium features in the SX
- Spacious interior

- Old carried over 1.6L engine which is rather inefficient

yishunite
500 forum posts Joined on 07-Aug-2018
Best car under $100k  Posted on 28 Jan 2019

Bought the Kia Cerato SX then waited a long 4 months for them to clear the prelaunch backlog but boy was it worth it... The interior is unbeatable in this price class both in design and quality. Exterior is unique and in my opinion statement making. It has elements of Jaguar, Mustang, Audi and of course the Kia Stinger all of which are beautiful cars.

Yes it is not the most powerful car in the world but it pushes the limit for Cat A. I would happily trade in my 3-month-old cat A model to get the GT turbo if they brought it in, that's how sold I am on this car.

- I did not realise how awesome ventilated seats were
- Kids love the sunroof more than me (I thought it was a waste of money in the SX trim)
- 17" rims/wheels
- Unique look
- Large size for this price category

- Lacks TPMS
- Stock wheels could be better

Chianglai
0 forum posts Joined on 27-Sep-2011
The best car I've owned  Posted on 25 Jan 2019

Owned an EX trim for a week, I didn't choose SX because of moon roof. So far enjoy very much on the handling and the comfort level.

This is my third brand new car and first 1600 cc car, the first car was Vios and second was City. The latter was ended 22 months ownership for the Cerato. There are some reasons to triggered the change and one of which is after tested drive the Cerato, I feel a lot better than my City in terms of comfort level especially crossing road hump and handling uneven road.

My own opinion, the Cerato is worth buying for this price range.

- Internal and External design
- Feeling luxury
- Handling
- Suspension softness
- Features
- Rear aircon
- 4 points DRL

- Good car with poor insulation
- Stock tire could be better
- Slow engine response

Otgekoo
24 forum posts Joined on 26-Jun-2009
My Next KIA Cerato  Posted on 24 Jan 2019

Well did not test driven this car in the show room as I have already driven a KIA car almost 10 Years with the 1st Generation Forte EX variant, Therefore believe it should be good as I bought the EX variant (3rd Generation) again

Just done collection last 3 weeks. As I have driven it , well it really feels good and improved during the acceleration compared to my previous Forte no doubt many feedback on its poor acceleration, the quiet insulation inside the cabin is good. The features inside consider an upgrade for me though it is an EX variant, with key less entry, leather upholstery, Multimedia screen, Drive mode and best of all the Smart Truck as I am always using the trunk most often for my work purpose, don't need to search for my key to open the trunk.

It is going to be accompany me for the next 7 to 8 years..

Smart Truck, Car design in term interior and exterior

Well .... nothing that I feel not good except felt that the car should put in the lane departure warning it will be great

GS418
37 forum posts Joined on 18-Dec-2018
Nice looking car at good price point, but audio system and noise evel can be improved.  Posted on 22 Dec 2018

Scored well for both interior and exterior aesthetics. Engine performance are decent with reasonable FC. However, both the audio system and sound insulation performed way below expectations. Tyres provided are also very noisy. Services of sales staffs are unsatisfactory with quite a number of complains in forums - and unfortunately, I also met with one that provided below par service.

Audio System - Although stock HU and speakers cannot never match up to aftermarket systems, the set that comes with Cerato produces FLAT audio and could not even compare with other Asian makes (not comparing with conti!). Have to either change out the HU or source for DSP that are good in matching with stock HU (such as Rainbow 1.8 or Esatto Comado) to deliver decent audio. Minimally, have to change out the stock speakers with entry level aftermarket speakers to get some decency out from it.

Sound insulation - The tyres are very noisy to begin with. Change them! I'm also very disappointed that this car is very noisy, especially with road noise. Certainly fared worse than its other Asian counterparts (not comparing with conti!). Luckily there are also aftermarket solutions to it. After I applied soundproofing, the noise level dropped significantly and is now a more comfortable ride. Just go for established soundproofing like Soundguard or Dynamat to avoid disappointment.

Soft & meek car horn - Got to try it for yourself. I'm not confident this car horn cam seek sufficient attention on the road esp if it's to avoid accidents. I suggest replacing it for safety considerations. It only cost a few tens of dollars.

Conclusion: This car remains a great buy at this price point and certainly a great looking car. There are several major disappointments (stated above), but luckily they all can be improved with aftermarket solutions. So be prepared to spend another 2K on top of the buying price if you want to have a comfortable and enjoyable ride.

Good price point
Good looking car
Decent engine performance
Large boot space

Noisy tyres
Audio system (HU and speakers) performing below basic expectations
Noisy car
Soft and meek car horn

Chiayaowei
3 forum posts Joined on 22-Jan-2010
Everything you need in a mid-range sedan  Posted on 17 Dec 2018

Over the years, KIA has (in my opinion) made a significant progress in capturing the attention of Singapore car buyers with more reliable and all inclusive vehicles at reasonable prices. The first vehicle i drove was a KIA Spectra (sedan) which was a down-to-earth, easy-to-finance mode of transport. Following that, i had the opportunity to try out the Rio and Picanto which retained the underpowering specs of the spectra. Despite so, the affordable prices at the introductory stage attracted buyers who were in search for a practical transport.

There are 2 functionalities that I look for in a vehicle. Space and Performance.
For the 2018/19 cerato model, a 1.73m driver's seat configuration is able to accommodate a 1.8+m tall passenger at the back with comfortable legroom for all 3 passengers. At 1591cc, the advertised 126bhp output is a pleasant surprise as the under power traits of an early day KIA is no longer evident. To complement the engine further, the noise insulation is the best when compared to the likes of Altis, Mazda 3 and City. Altis came in close but for the 7-16k discount (depending on the variant), Cerato is definitely the deal of 2018.

Moving on to the point of features, I categorize smart trunk, 16/17-inch rims, GPS, auto climate aircon, electric driver seat and side mirror indicator as luxury features while keyless entry/start, retractable mirrors and remote boot release as good-to-have features. Leather seats, steering controls and isofix are essentials.

Fuel consumption at 15/L for non-hybrid is acceptable to me given that my existing car drinks 17/L for a 1.5L, 105bhp engine.

Moving on for my mazda 2 (2010), I pledged my monthly repayment with KIA for the Cerato L model that comprised of the essentials plus solar film, front and back recording. The earlier L variant of Cerato did not come with in-build multimedia system, in- car camera (front and back) and leather seats. I'm truly glad that KIA included all these features in the new base model to the delight of mid-range sedan buyers.

Quiet interior when driving (no competitive with noise when having a conversation with passengers)
Powerful and responsive engine (NS-highway compatible)
Spacious for a family of 5
Affordability

Left Signals, Right Wipers. I'm still trying to get used to it.

WongWk_12653
0 forum posts Joined on 16-Dec-2018
Beautiful and sporty sedan ever!!!  Posted on 16 Dec 2018

First time buying new car so when to look around. Initially really like the new avante But after I saw the new cerato my heart just melted. When to test drive it and find the drive really quiet and handling stable just that engine pick up abit not as responsive but the exterior and interior design make up for the engine weak performance but also maybe because I'm on comfort mode(this car got sport mode but never really try whack it). Overall really love this car so immediately booked a unit.

Was deciding between the Ex or Sx trim but in the end go with the SX because of the 6 airbag, higher omv, electric seat and wireless charging.

Exterior design
Interior design
8" headunit
Led Headlight and taillight
Most of it

Pick up abit sluggish and left hand side signal only.

bluearieskie
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Jul-2017
Stylish and modern looking car  Posted on 01 Dec 2018

It is considered one of the most stylish cars on the road. The initial pickup is not ideal and need a little rev on the engine to help push the car during acceleration. Overtaking car can be challenging sometimes due to the slow acceleration, so need to be cautious. Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth connection for phone and also hands free speaker on the roof are good in car features. The boot is pretty spacious for family with young kids to store all the stuff during outings. Aircon vent at the back is wonderful to cool the air for backseat passengers, especially during hot days too. Overall quite a comfy budget family sedan car to own.

bluearieskie
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Jul-2017
Stylish and modern car  Posted on 01 Dec 2018

Twich
577 forum posts Joined on 14-Apr-2013
Enjoy driving my SX Cerato  Posted on 13 Nov 2018

I have driven my SX Cerato nearly 2.5 months.
Totally no regret to purchase this car.
Even though the fuel consumption is higher than my last YR2014 Altis.
It is somewhere around 12.5km/l (70% Highway)
In term of road holding, it very much better than my last Atlis.
When I pick my children from school, my children will feel asleep in the car.

Road Holding
Workmanship is better than Altis
Very Spacious
Good pricing

No blind spot detector
No built in navigation or GPSS

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »