The Seat Leon is a tough car to beat

Volkswagen reveals the new Golf R Estate

Seat sales cross one million mark in the U.K.

CWORKS parts keep your car running well

Car Review - SEAT Leon Mild Hybrid 1.5 TSI DSG FR (A)
10 Jun 2022  |  SEAT Reviews
The fourth generation Seat Leon closes the gap with the Volkswagen Golf with its good looks, lovely cabin as well as fun-to-drive demeanour.
What We Dislike
Lacks desirability over strong rivals
   Consumer Reviews of SEAT Leon Mild Hybrid

Comfort 4.0 Reliability 4.0
Handling 4.0 Features 4.0
Exterior Styling 5.0 Interior Design 4.0
Value for money 5.0 Engine Performance 4.0

I decided to go down for a test drive of the Seat Leon after seeing images of it online. In the flesh, I must say that it looks every bit as good as it did in pictures. The exterior is really presentable, with a premium look. It certainly looked like a car which belies its lower price (relative to other cars).

However, the car is not just all show and no go. The spec sheet which reads 148bgp from the engine and acceleration from 0-100 at 8.5 seconds truly translates into the real world. The 250Nm from the engine is more than ample in Singapore traffic, allowing me to overtake other cars with relative ease.

The Leon's handling was also planted at higher speeds while remaining an easy steer at lower speeds. This is no sports car but I felt confident taking it through the test route regardless of whether I was doing 30km/h or 100km/h.

Not to mention the mild hybrid system which provided power whene there were gaps in the power band. It was good of Seat to include this feature.

Space was also ample. Standing at 6 foot tall, I had ample head and leg room.

I believe this Leon is a hit from Seat and compares very favourably in the company of other cars such as the Volkswagen Golf and Audi A3. In fact if you are alright with overlooking the slightly less premium badge, the Seat is absolutely a no brainer.

- Ease of drivability
- Sharp, elegant looks and lines
- Solid feeling build quality typical of Volkswagen group cars

- Braking feel can be a bit more feelsome
- Higher levels of sound insulation would be welcome

aerolith
0 forum posts Joined on 07-Apr-2021
Punchy, planted, and an all-round excellent hatch  Posted on 12 Aug 2022

Comfort 5.0 Reliability 3.0
Handling 4.0 Features 4.0
Value for money 4.0 Engine Performance 4.0

Think the design of the Volkswagen Golf is too mundane? Looking for something a little different than what all your neighbours aspire towards? This Seat Leon is sure to appeal.

Sharp and angular headlights, and full-width light bar at the rear, and a generally squat body with pleasing proportions are all yours with this Seat Leon.

Step inside and you get nice angular elements including the air-conditioning vents, instrument cluster housing, and around all the controls within the centre console. Very nice.

And to drive, the Leon is also great. The platform feels planted through the corners, with steering weight and speed all very will calibrated for a hatch of this size. You'll definitely feel a difference in drive and ride quality when compared against the typical Japanese hatches.

The output from the 1.5-litre unit is also strong, and the gearbox operation is as smooth as you'd like.

Nothing much, really, other than the fact that your air-con controls are now touch-sensitive items below the infotainment screen, and need a bit of care for precise adjustment - a distraction when you're driving.

ZephyrX_045
5 forum posts Joined on 15-Dec-2019
Spanish Golf Twin Returns  Posted on 02 Oct 2021

Comfort 5.0 Reliability 4.0
Handling 5.0 Features 5.0
Value for money 5.0 Engine Performance 5.0

Coming from a 3rd Gen SEAT Leon with the 1.0TSI engine. I'm currently looking for a replacement car. I waited days, weeks and months for the launch of the Mk. 4 after hearing the launch of it coming to Singapore. Thanks to Magdalene at Kung Chong site in catering to my questions and constant worries about the Leon Mk. 4.

The Mk. 4 certainly has a very nice look, a massive uplift in quality, space and as well as features. While the Mk. 3 Leon was a nice car to drive, it was too basic and too rudimentary for a car. Though it was well equipped with infotainment features. The Mk. 4 Addresses a ton of issue the Mk. 3 had and I am willing to make the change over to it.

Before all these, when I was at the showroom, I was receiving bad news after bad news that the test drive models are delayed and that the FR model would not have a lot of features. Until one day, Magdalene told me that Vertex was willing to allow customers to spec the Leon up with the FULL suite of Smart Assist Systems as well as the full LED Headlights. The ones equipped on the FR out of the factory looks very soulless. Would definitely recommend to change it out if you are someone who likes your car to look as advertised.

When I test drove it on the 1st of October 2021, the Mk. 4 Leon felt so much at home. The driving cockpit, the layout the orientation of the controls. All of it was very familiar and all I had to get used to was the shift-by-wire dongle for the gear selector. The test drive experience was very good. Instant acceleration from the 1.5TSi and Mild Hybrid ISG, steering was very very good. It was more fluid and had better response compared to the Mk. 3. The cloth seats are very comfortable and not something I would want to change out because it is a vast improvement, as well as it does keep your butt cool under the hot sun. The LKAS is a good system to have as a standard on the base model FR. But you would need to top up extra for all the rest of the safety assist systems, which is something I would do.

Improved rear legroom

Interior quality has improved

Digital Cockpit

Wireless Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Very user friendly infotainment system

Starting the engine up is not as jerky as non-hybridized models.

Fuel tank is 55L, meaning range, with the fuel economy claim of 18-20km/l, the range would be close to 950km on a single tank.

Aircon controls are in the infotainment screen

Temperature buttons are touch-sensitive sliders which are hard to control

Boot space is still 380L despite the growth in overall size for the car

infotainment is very fiddly

EcoLED headlights as standard. Have to pay extra for the full LED headlights found on the Cupra Leon

RichardTan98
0 forum posts Joined on 14-Aug-2021
Beauty and Sportiness comes in a  Posted on 28 Aug 2021

Comfort 5.0 Reliability 4.0
Handling 5.0 Features 4.0
Value for money 5.0 Engine Performance 5.0

I had just booked the Seat Leon at the Leng Kee showroom and I had a wonderful experience throughout the whole process and particularly impress with the sincerity and friendliness of the sales agent.

My wife and I both agree that the Seat Leon had the best overall styling. We had booked the red car which looks so sexy. We also love how the rear LED light stripe stretches across the rear of the car that looks (like a Porsche Macan) as well as the twin exhausts to complete the sporty looks.

Interior
We are both techjunkie and we love the high-tech feel of the car with digital instrumental panel and the large display screen and the fact that everything is controlled and operated by touch controls. We were impressed by the very cool looking ambient lighting that stretches across the front of the cabin.

Driving Experience
Good overall drive. 1.5L turbo mild-hybrid system is punchy while at the same time being quiet and smooth. We also like how planted the car is around corners.

1) The car looks so stunning and sexy in red.
2) Good acceleration especially from stationary.
3) Lane-keeping system which will steer the car back into lane.
4) High tech vibes with all the digital display, instrumental panels and ambient light that stretch across the front cabin and doors

Although the glossy back finishing looks nice on the car, overtime there tends to be a couple of fingerprint smudges. Not a big issue as a simple wipe can easily clean it away.

SEAT Leon Mild Hybrid