Toyota Corolla Altis

Car Review - Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 (A)
07 Oct 2010  |  Toyota Reviews
Are the minor changes to the Altis good enough to improve its drive? Join us as we find out more.
   Consumer Reviews of Toyota Corolla Altis

3.5/5 Reliability
3/5 Interior Design
3/5 Engine Performance
41 out of 77 (53.2%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.
Login to sgCarMart to submit a review Submit a review

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ) Next »
Wkenneth88
6 forum posts Joined on 15-Jun-2010
Worst quality and performance Altis  Posted on 14 Jun 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I have driven three models of Altis including the current which I'm giving it up. The quality and performance compared to the previous two models have been very disappointing. Probably it's due to the Made in Thailand quality. Never to return to Toyota

Spacious interior
Flat flooring
Exterior looks have improved
Factory DVD player

Engine is loud and dragging when you accelerate
Lack of power
Poor wind insulation
Poor handling when cornering
Poor braking
FC is average 12.5km/L

Laworder17
2434 forum posts Joined on 01-Mar-2010
Toyota Altis Elegance  Posted on 04 Jun 2010

The Toyota Altis Elegance model is quite value for money with the additional features of reverse camera, auto-fold mirror and remote boot release.

Super Cool Air-con even setting it as 25 Deg.C.
Very Quiet even with engine switch on.
Good FC.

Need more power to move off.

Rdyeo
0 forum posts Joined on 18-Jan-2007
Avante  Posted on 27 May 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Shameful to over-price this Thailand-made car, with average handling and a out-dated engine. Interior and exterior styling are lousy. Rear bumper looked like it's been hit from the back. It will soon loose its icon status to the many other better value-for-money cars of other makes.

Not much.

JingHng_1990
12 forum posts Joined on 01-Apr-2010
Okok car  Posted on 01 Apr 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I test drove this car 2 days ago @ Borneo Motors. The car looks ugly and the super-basic interior and the dashboard feels cheap. The current price for 1.6 Lx [A] is $81,988. At this price, the car is not very worthy. Why are people buying this for the Latio or sunny?

Not much.

Mostly all!

Crx6111
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Apr-2007
What you are paying are mostly Borneo motor's profit!  Posted on 28 Feb 2010
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Although the car doesn't have much things to fault,
Price is the main issue.
Being assembled in Thailand supposed to bring down the cost of the car.
But compared to paralleled imported made in Japan models, seems to be more expensive.

The recent news of recalling to rectify faults.

Borneo motor's scheme of making use of Toyota's good name to make killing profit from us!

Brightstar2211
0 forum posts Joined on 05-Feb-2010
The car interior and exterior is excellent.  Posted on 04 Feb 2010

Overall, the car is excellent both the interior and exterior. The Toyota Altis Elegance model is better than the Toyota 1.6A and 1.8A.

The aircon is cooling.
The car is quite high in standards.

The only thing is that the engine need more power to move off.

Invicta
8 forum posts Joined on 02-Feb-2010
The Family Man's Car  Posted on 03 Feb 2010

Well, what more can i say about this car? The sales figure speaks volume. It is and has been the most popular saloon car in SG.
It is really spacious inside and the designers for TYT, as usual, has been safe and conservative in the designs of this car. Nothing too extravagant, nothing too shoddy.
Although the exterior makes it look like a mini Camry, the performance of the engine is just average (though better than the EX1.5). Its pick-up is a bit strenous on the engine as the sound will tell u. The engine rev is alright once u hit gear 3 but once u hit up to 110km/h, it becomes tedious again for the engine.

An overall nice "uncle" car with middle income revenue budget.
Reliable car that does not break down easily. Very sturdy car. Car parts are quite cheap if anything is spoilt. Not comparing with Korean cars here as they are not a consideration in my reviews.
A safe choice this is if u want a family sized sedan that doesn't scream for attention and has the basic features as well as fundamental safety standards.

-Reliable
-cheap spare parts
-alternative spare parts brand easily available ob the market
-spacious
-sturdy
-reputation as a fuel efficient family car

-average handling
-poor in sharp corners
-tendency to oversteer (jiak deeper inside)
-rolling effect obvious
-a tad too pricey considering it's a 'made in thailand' car
-welding of the chassis at joints is only 4 folds compared to other Japan made cars (source from a Thai welder who works in Thailand in TYT car plant) that can have up to 8 folds. Thus in Thailand, u can see the TYT Altis windscreen crack at the top right and left corners esp in the Thai cabs. Their heavy usage and constant bumpiness of the roads were too much for the chassis.

Dero
53 forum posts Joined on 12-Aug-2006
Quite nice  Posted on 05 Dec 2009

Before I changed to this car, I was driving the Corolla G7 (i think..) 1.5litres. It was the last few batch of Corolla from Japan.

As compared to that Corolla, this new Altis is 1.6 and takes more petrol. Or rather, alot more. The old Corolla gets about 17km/l while this is about 10-13km/l.

It seems more powerful than the old Corolla and has more torque I feel. However, u need to rev much. Usually rev over 3000rpm while the old Corolla hardly cross the 3000 mark.

The A/C is powerful, maybe because it is new. I remb the old Corolla was Cold when new. Now its HOT!

The steering seems heavier than the old Corolla too!

The rear leg room seems lesser now though the seats are more comfy with nice head rest and no "hump"

Lastly, after I got the car, the Altis came with better features like remote boot release!!! So sad..

Overall, this car can still be driven and serves its purpose with the reliable brand of Toyota.

- Styling

Xianmao
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Nov-2009
Quality of Toyota has gone down  Posted on 17 Nov 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

If one has to ever buy a Toyota, consider buying only the 'Made in Japan' ones. Apparently the ones made in Thailand like Altis, Vios and Camry does not seem so reliable. My father-in-law had his 3 year old Altis repaired many times recently. First, his engine couldn't start. Replaced the battery 3 times and still could not work. Apparently I think the electrical cables had discharged the batteries. It just kept failing and is still in the workshop. Worst, they could not find out the problem with the car The aircon also 'exploded' several weeks ago and he spent over $800 repairing. The car parts are being taken out and they are still testing to see where the problem lies. It had certainly brought alot of inconvenience to him. His previous 'Made in Japan' corolla did not fail him even after use for 5 years. For a relatively expensive Japanese car, this is certainly a disaster. Even the Korean makes seems so much more reliable these days as I had asked several people who drive their korean cars for more than 5 years and they told me they had not experienced a single glitch. What has happened to Toyota? I think the problem is that they were expanding too fast and certainly did not bother much about quality issues the Thai plant has. Seriously if it wants to remain at the top, it has to have more QC at its overseas plants. I was certainly very surprised to hear that a Toyota has so many problems. The name 'Toyota' is a name synonymous with quality and reliability. If Toyota does not address these issues, very soon, upcoming strong rivals like the Hyundai/Kia will soon overtake it.

The brand

Made in Thailand (Lack of QC)

Astro
161 forum posts Joined on 25-Apr-2002
Altis - Review  Posted on 08 Nov 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Just gotten the car for less then a week and problem started to pop up. Firstly, a panel near the rear passeger seat came dislodged apparently the QC did not do a good job. Managed to clip it back with a slight knock and this just goes to show the yesteryear quality of Totyota is not there. Not too sure what is to come after this. Another bearbug is the poor FC as I managed to clock less then 10km/l but SE said will improve after the car is run in which I seriously doubt it will go anywhere near the claim figure of 12km/l. Also the handling is much to be desired as I could feel the unstability when entering a corner with some speed. But it did score in the area of sound insulation.

Sound proofing

Poor FC of only 9.5km/l. Hopfully it will improve after the run-in period.
Handling and Stability
Quality Control

Cruisewind
19 forum posts Joined on 28-Aug-2009
Different category from before  Posted on 07 Oct 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Test driven, not so outstanding, handling wise average, sound proofing not as good, beware now other car makes in same class are already on par or better.

Brand name of toyota

Basic feature despite its price
Very expensive on selling price
Quality not as good as before
Assemble in thailand
This model look similar to the one it replace
OMV not that high, quite close to korean makes

Wilson108
8 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Disappointing car  Posted on 07 Oct 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I only get 10.7 per litre, compared to my old 03' civic which i get 11.5 which is 6 yrs plus old. Comfort and interior is good and nice. Not value for money. No power and I miss my Honda. I get problem trying to overtake cos of the lack of power. Yet it drinks petrol like water. Sad....

Interior and comfort in the car

No power
Fuel per liter is bad.
Not value for money

Falling_stars
-34 points
56 forum posts Joined on 07-Sep-2009
Is it really worth buying?  Posted on 06 Sep 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

No doubt old engine means reliable but its still a stone age technology compared with the rest. I like e exterior e way it presents itself, interior are nice as well.
But 70k w coe for a thai made 1.6 car with an old engine? Its way too expensive
Based on prev 06 altis i bought at $31500 last year, imagine at wat price the prev owner sell? And how much can this altis sell after 3 years for the price tag of 70k with same omv?

-both exterior and interior design
-touch screen dvd player
-new model
-much better design than previous
-low maintenance for its spare parts and 5 yrs warranty

-bad fc (same as most 2lit cars) 10.5km/l
-low horse power and engine seems draggy compared to 1.6 civic
-same plastic feel door opening from inside
-way too pricey
-same engine feel

Zane
3 forum posts Joined on 19-Aug-2009
Nice car with average fuel comsumption  Posted on 18 Aug 2009

- Felt that the exterior (front and side) and interior styling as well as quality far surpass the previous model. And the DVD LCD touch screen is a plus factor. The back of the current altis still looks funny actually.

- Comfort wise is good enough for me, at least comfortable driving from loyang to clementi. Noise insulation is good i must say.

- Steering is light since they use a new kind of steering. Can be put into good use sometimes for massive turning points.

- Engine's a little sluggish since its torque is only 107bhp. Arnd 11 seconds to reach 100km/hr with full pedal depressed. Not bad for a 107bhp torque anyway. Overtaking is not a problem anyway, done that lots of times speeding at 110km/hr.

- Fuel consumption is really bad when the meter crosses 2500rpm while accelerating.. Anyway the gearing feels funny as the gear refuses to shift up when it hasnt reach 2500rpm. Currently my average consumption is around 10.5km/l with 80% highway drive and being very light footed. Pretty bad i guess.

- Bought the car for around 52k+ because of the low COE pricing. i thought 52k+ for an altis is a very worthwhile choice compared to a civic 1.6 for 62K+. and personally, i do not think civic is stylish. =)

- Overall, altis is still a good buy, it's a Toyota, it has more things to play with compared to other makes, its performance is enough get you by without much requirement, and for those who are looking for comfort driving.

Everything about the car.

- Fuel comsumption can be improved on.
- Engine performance can be improved on.

Michaelh
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
My 2nd Car - Toyota Altis 1.6 VVTI G10  Posted on 15 Aug 2009

Thumbs Up! As compared to the previous car that I owned. Comfort, Realiability, Engine performance and value for money are not my worry as it's guranteed by evergreen Toyota. The reason of seducing me to choose Altis G10 is its exterior and value for money.

NA