Toyota Corolla Altis

Car Review - Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 (A)
07 Oct 2010  |  Toyota Reviews
Are the minor changes to the Altis good enough to improve its drive? Join us as we find out more.
   Consumer Reviews of Toyota Corolla Altis

3.5/5 Reliability
3/5 Interior Design
3/5 Engine Performance
41 out of 77 (53.2%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.
Login to sgCarMart to submit a review Submit a review

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ) Next »
Ccpzzb
0 forum posts Joined on 16-Feb-2009
Good Exterior but sluggish engine  Posted on 08 Aug 2009

This is the 1st car I have owned. Is a good car overall but have some room for improvements. Not worth at current price (60K+). More resonable price should be around 55K+.

- Touch Screen DVD
- Nice exterior
- Big boot space
- Flat rear floor

- Poor pickup
- A bit noisy
- Auto change gear is not smooth, can feel a bit of jerk
- Driver seat feels cramp
- Average FC (average 10km+ per L)

Skchua
7 forum posts Joined on 15-Jul-2006
Altis review after 20K km travel  Posted on 21 Jun 2009

Those of you who said that the Corolla is a boring car, I do hope you get to drive the car first. Toyota have been improved their quality and Super ECT gearboxes giving smooth gear changing along the way. EPS steering respond is good suit for city driving in Singapore. True, Honda will always be a manufacturer that produces interesting cars for us to drive, better looks, more sporty like by youngters nowadays. Sure cannot compare the sporty looks. But compare to price and OMV Civic is the most expensive car under Jap cars category. Even the new one, Electric Power Steering really devoids the driver off feel like hydraulic power steering. Civic comfortable is not there but its handling is commendable. Worth to buy if the price around 55K.

On the issue of reliability, Toyota VVTi technology already in market since 10years back. Is a old engine but less problem. Thai made Toyotas do have problems but they have the least when compared to other makes. Be it an Altis, Civic or even the new Accord, I’ve heard of many ’silly’ problems ranging from rattling noises to scratchy windows and squeeking seats.

Warranty 5 years or 140K km.
Interior meter display.
Rear disc brakes.
EPS system steering more responsive.
LED rear light.
5 stars ENCAP.
Resale market value.

Horsepower should increase to 120+bhp under 1.6 car category.
Asia market use VVTi instead of Europe market use Dual-VVTi.
4 speed transmission.
No have rust treatment on undercarriage.
15" wheel.
No have sunroof, HID and Auto cruise control.

Lemonade
Reliable, Value for money, No worries  Posted on 25 May 2009

Had Toyota before and this one do not disappoint. Don't be scared of break down, don't be scare of getting a lemon. Looks not that sporty but don't mind. Blend in with the road.

Reliability
Brand
Cheap and plenty parts available
Low Maintenace
Looks normal, not wannabe look
Front and back disc breaks

Interior black will look better

Txjiang
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
So-so  Posted on 05 May 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Partion drop after 3 months, windows cannot be closed tightly.
Sometimes, door lock spoil and hence door cannot be open, need to climb in from passenger side.
Dvd, dead pixels take place now, became a cd-player again, same as 10 years old car.

Would you buy the car?

The car is still running

Tell me what I can like?

Sideburntz
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Altis review from a 26 yrs old owner  Posted on 04 Mar 2009

Toyota always gives people the uncle's feeling. And all along, the altis is seen by many as an uncle's car. Any youngster driving one will be condemned to driving his/ her dad's car. This is until the current shape Altis.

Sure it isn't as sporty as a Honda Civic, but with a cheaper price tag of about $15000, it represent exceptional value.

Having driven many competitors of the Altis in the same price and class, it seems that Altis stands out.

Hyundai i30- Young and trendy, but engine lacks power and refinement especially with 5 adults. the gear is "rough" too. Nice handling though.
Overpriced for a Korean car.

Mitsubishi Lancer Ex- Fierce looking, but the interior is hideous. Under power and base model doesnt look too good too on the outside. Fuel consumption on the high side.

Nissan Latio sports- Dont get me started on the exterior looks. But it has the best engine among those i have tested with a full load of 5 people. CVT works fine, and one of the nicest seats and interior design.

Honda Civic- Too expensive. $15000 difference. But win in almost every other sector.

Honda City- Different class, smaller interior and less refine engine. Nice exterior thou.

Hyundai Avante- Good car overall. Steering is too light. Car suspension is great, and is very value for money if you dont mind the korean brand.

Mazda 3- Wait fot the new one.

Toyota Vios- Small interior, noisy engine when revved hard. Having said that, it has exceptional FC and handling. Different class to compare anyway.

With around $55k, it seems Toyota Altis is one of the better buy with 5 years warranty and the sleeker new look. Although not perfect, it represent exceptional value for money and hassle free motoring.

In a nutshell, Altis is a safe buy .. Just look at the number of Altis on the road. With this new look, i reckon more young people will likely be more attracted to it. I know i already am.

From all the above mentioned cars, as well as some others.. It seems Toyota Altis isnt that bad after all.

For one, the exterior design dont look that uncle anymore. I have friends, all in mid twenties and liking the looks of the car. The lines are more refined now and it looks like a mini camry, which is a good thing.

Engine performance is good as well. With 5 adults, it handles with ease. Although with only 109hp, it has ample of low end torque, and this makes driving easy even with full load. The difference between Honda cars is that Torque only happens during Mid and High RPM (ivtec). A Hyundai i30 (121hp) feels more underpower with 5 people compared to a Altis due to the Torque curve and engine tuning.

Excessive sound proffing makes the car very quiet. Wind noise and engine noise is non audible at legal speed.

4 Speed may seems a little dated in this age. But it can hardly be felt when driving. Dont tell me you will count the times the gears shift. Having said that, 5 sp is of course better for FC, and performance.

Spacious interior can sits 5 bigger size people comfortably. Huge luggage space at the boot too.

Car is heavier, thus more stable in faster speed. Good for travelling North South Hwy in Malaysia. A honda Jazz will probably be more "floaty" due to the light weight.

Price of the car has come down tremendously due to COE as well as the distributor. From $68k to $53k. All in just a few months.

5 years warranty is great. Especially when you sell the car after 3 years. It will fetch a good resale price with 2 yrs warranty remaining.

Reliability is great too, typical from Toyota. I suppose you can tell just by looking on the road, and realising how many 93' corolla is on the road still running around.

Comfortable interior, typical of Altis. Plenty of leather everywhere. Has a more upmarket appeal. Makes you think that the $$ you paid is worth it.

Very good fuel consumption compared to the Lancer EX, Mazda 3, Hyundai i30.

Smooth Engine even though it is from the previous Altis. But it feels more eager than the old one though.

Image. Somehow, driving the new altis make one looks more grown up and respectable.

2 tone interior colors. Makes the ambience pleasant.

Touch Screen DVD player is good to have.

To be fair, Altis isn't perfect.

Handling can be better. The suspension set up is more for comfort rather than handling. But there can never be a win win between comfort and handling anyway.

Steering wheel should be 3 spokes.

Alloy 15" is too small. But perhaps for a better FC.

No HID or Xenon.

4 Speed Auto is dated. Having more gears will improve performance and FC as well.

Engine HP. Although not underpower, but when compared to other cars on paper, it is a weakness.

No cruise Control.

Limited colors. Australia's corolla has more variety and cooler colors to choose from.

No bodykits and rims option.

Not many accessories to choose, or play with. Strictly, just a normal car.

SGCMHello
234 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
OK, lah. Average car for average person. For middle age who DO NOT want any thrills in life.  Posted on 18 Feb 2009
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

hahaha...4 speed?? Competing with Datsun car is it? I mean you making a car for the 80s is it !

Besides, I feel this model is worst than its predecessor. The interior feels less spacious and elegant. Seats sink in like sponge, not firm enough.

Nothing cheap about this car even if it sells at $50K. This piece of car is only worth over $40K. The rest are just Borneo's profit.

Forget it. The chief engineer of Altis can go fly kite. He said the current engine is so good that we decide to carry over to this new model. ... a good excuse of saying no progress !

The potential of further lowering the price of this Thailand car.

Awarded Euroncap 5 star. Welll done!!But you must ensure S'pore version has as many air bags as the one tested by Euroncap.

Lousier than predecessor. Cannot believe it.

Noobie13
0 forum posts Joined on 23-Jul-2008
Altis is a Junior Camry  Posted on 27 Nov 2008

I like the easy to drive feeling the Altis gives me, and all the features that I want in a car such as climate control aircon, trip computer,touch screen DVD and audio. Most importantly it had a flat floor at the back for my parents when they sit in and are comfortable and spacious. And I like the fuel consumption, i do not have to visit the petrol so often as i do when i drive other Jap cars. Like the 5 years warranty so i do not have to worry about parts change costs.

All the features are very similar to a Camry. Spacious and good fuel consumption. Superb value for money, and long warranty and free 1 yr servicing.

Having HID lights will look even better.

Manhunter0995
A cut above the rest however.  Posted on 29 Sep 2008

Collected my new Altis last Thurs. After driven it for about 4 days. I feel that the road handling is quite disappointing. The steering is quite light. The idling speed and pick-up was good. FC - average.

The brand "toyota";
average FC;
the formula one racing bodykits;
the touch screen hi-fi set;
audio control on steering wheel;
side indicator lights

road holding;
made in thailand.

Rev9246
A total disappoinment  Posted on 21 Jul 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

This is the worst car I have ridden before, the ride comfort is very bad due to the VERY soft suspension.
The legroom is very little which I filled up the entire rear legroom with my feet (size 10), no headroom at the back (I'm 1.78m), the seat belts cut the neck, the car is too noisy and underpowered. The worst thing is that the whole of the interior is of only one colour - grey, a boring and dull colour.

Touch screen hifi

Space
Speakers

Pika1223
5 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Its definitely overpriced, its just the brand thats costly.  Posted on 01 Jun 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Too expensive for a car like this at a time now.

Nexros21
A comfortable car of its class!  Posted on 26 May 2008

* exterior styling
* quiet engine
* toyota's trademark of great reliability albeit its old engine in place
* generous overall spaciousness
* MID

* no HID for 1.6cc version

Vit4wd
4525 forum posts Joined on 07-Nov-2002
Overpriced Thaiyota with Old Engine Technology  Posted on 23 May 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Borneo Mtrs will likely see sales of its Corolla drop in 2008 for the 1st time in many years.

The "new" Corolla is way overpriced for this money. It is selling at Nissan Sylphy, Honda Civic and Mitsubishi Lancer EX prices, all of which have more technologically advanced engines.

There was a report in the papers when Borneo Mtrs first started importing the Thai Vios and Altis to S'pore. We were told that that would be no compromise in quality in this "Made by Toyota" product and the savings in manufacturing costs will be passed on to customers. But I don't see any savings.

I don't see how a Thai assembled automobile with most parts from Thailand except for engine and gearbox from Japan, commanding a price similar to, or higher than its 100% Japan assembled rivals.

Unless prices drop to below S$60,000 at current COE levels of S$12K to S$15K, I'd say "There are many other better buys out there. Toyota sells purely on its branding. Its current high selling price of S$67,000 is not justified for a Thai assembled car with a outdated >10 yr old VVTi technology and 4 speed auto."

I'd advise those interested in the Corolla to get a Proton Wira anytime and enjoy 40% savings.

"Perceived" Toyota Quality.

Almost everything about the car.

Lexusrocks
Better?  Posted on 14 May 2008

The Altis is better than the previous one. The engine however remains the same and there is only one choice of your interior. However Toyota should put in a standard 1.8 engine. In America the Corolla is available with the base 1.8 and 2.4. I think there should be a 2.4 here.

The new rim design (looks quite sporty)
The touch screen and the air con controls.
The giant glove box.

The door handle and the fake metal trim. (I prefer wood trim like my LS600hL) Still a very nice vehicle. This is my 3rd car.

Kelnet88
Very disappointed on the latest Singapore Altis model  Posted on 12 May 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Not value for money. Weight is heavier by 100kg and engine is the same as older version, the worst is more ex by S$8000. Greatly disappointed

Only the external is nice.

Heavier by 100kg, engine remain the same as the last Altis model and more expensive by around S$8000????

SGCMFlexer
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
So what if it's a old engine model, it feels better than vtec.  Posted on 26 Apr 2008

The engine is fantastically tuned, and FC is at 13-14km/l after first 2 tanks for 1.6l.
If you drive Civic equivalent, you will feel that Altis's engine handles better. Go drive it, don't look at the specs.
Exterior is fantastic, but interior can be improved.

The handling, the increase of power as compared to G9 (not refering to specs, but actual engine performance when u sit behind the wheel). The exterior look very luxurious.

The interior door handle looks weird, otherwise the rest looks great.

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ) Next »