Viewed : 48,107 times

Recommended Articles

With over 500 ponies combined, it was tough staying away from mischief with two of the hottest hatches on the market in our hands...

13 May 2011

Page 1 2 3 4 Show All

Parked on the start/stop line in front of the F1 Pit Building, I found myself admiring the brightly coloured hatches laid out before me. At the same time pondering the whereabouts of my volunteer driver (Read: Porsche instructor) for the day.

I was dreading the decision that I'll have to make when the time came to choose. But choosing between these two hatches is akin to splitting an atom. Tough. But I guess it's a job and somebody's got to do it and today that 'somebody' happens to be me.

To my left was the almost cyborg looking Scirocco R decked out in its brilliant Rising Blue while to my right was the taut, lithe-looking Megane RS in Renault's F1 team colours. Like I said, tough choices.

Exterior

Parked side by side, the Scirocco R almost looks as if it just drove off a sci-fi movie set. And it's understandable why a crowd almost always gathers round it first before the RS is even noticed despite the latter's brighter shade. Compared to the RS, the car looks otherworldly with its hunkered down stance that makes the car look as if it's melting itself into the ground.

The Roc looks properly mean with its meaty bodykit that accentuates the already low height of the coupe further. The car's width also benefits greatly from being wider than ever.

Making the car look much larger and muscular than the lithe-looking RS. In the rear, a pair of huge oval pipes in chrome finish peek out menacingly like the barrels of an autocannon to bellow out a baritone retort to your heavy foot.

Compared with the Roc, the RS looks like a lightweight fighter with its conservatively flared wheel arches and a front fascia that hasn't changed significantly from the Megane hatch on which it is based. Though it does get a front splitter that the Renault press release says is directly inspired by F1 technology sought directly off from Vitaly Petrov's working machine.

Page 1 2 3 4 Show All

250km/h

Fuel consumption

12.2 km/L

This model is no longer being sold by local distributors
Renault Megane RS 2.0T 250 (M)
Rate it