Related Articles

Car Review - Geely MK 1.5

7 ways the first ever BMW X7 is larger than life

» Go to articles

Past Car
Models no longer being sold by local distributors.
Model unavailable since Feb 2012
Car Review - Geely MK 1.5
14 Nov 2007  |  Geely Reviews
China car makers have been coming in strong with their budget cars. Is the Geely really up to it and worth that much money?
   Consumer Reviews of Geely MK

3.5/5 Reliability
3/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
2.5/5
7 out of 12 (58.3%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Reliable Car Who Says China Car Cannot Last?  Posted on 23 Sep 2011

Own this car coming 4 years. Still good except for some minor problem which are solve by warrnty. Ride is smooth and engine is quiet. This car is value for money.

Smooth quiet engine
Feels like driving a Jap Car (Vios)
Value For money
No Major Problem

Features like auto climax control
No clock display (only on the audio have)
Servicing by agent quite expensive. They go by mileague checks.

FiatMan
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Oct-2010
Reliable car if your looking for a cheap and reliable sedan!  Posted on 06 Sep 2011

My brother owns this sedan in 2007 in March. His been driving this car for 5 years and he keep saying that it was the most reliable car. Most of my sibling did not understand, why could he not regret his money on a china made car? I took it out and the car drive like the previous generation vios which he previously owned.

Fully Recommend.

Very Nice and sporty looking

To much plastic.

Owning The MK  Posted on 09 May 2010

Have been owning this car for 2 years although it is a OPC. This car is really no disappointment. I should say this car is really value for money. The car maybe made in china but so what? The car is good and will perform as a car. But of cause we cannot compared to other performance cars. This car serve me and my family car. I chose this MK becos of the modern design over the CK.

Moreover MK have the design which give you that it is not like A COE car. Performance wise is good. I really dont ask for much for the money spent for this car. This car overall is good and for those ppl who is budget MK is the choice that you can consider. Dont be fooled by the made in china car bullshit sotires that many have said. Just go for what you want.Last but not least money will be well spent and would not be a disappointment for this MK

Interior like Vios and is modern compared to CK model. Engine is smooth and quiet. Full load on the car with 5 pax engine still perform.

Audio not for those audio fanatic. For normal use is ok.

Joesnatorian
Worth the money  Posted on 18 Nov 2008

The MK has a solid body work and the engine sound good compare to other Korean or Malaysian cars. Drove the car up to Kota Tinggi during raining day and it perform good. Sound engine as in the sgcarmart review.

The body work is strong and solid, engine quiet and smooth. Don't go beyond 3rpm before run in (1000km). After that have very good pickup and smooth to overtake bigger vehicle.

Audio system not up to standard. Only give standard audio and made in china.

Mustang
746 forum posts Joined on 25-Oct-2005
Need facelift and upgrading  Posted on 05 Nov 2008

Price, FC

Underpowered engine.

Good Economical Car  Posted on 03 Oct 2008

After owning MK for 8 months or so. I find that this car serve me well. Of cos we have to bear in mind that we are owning a china made car not some sort of ferari or japanes cars.

So i think the bros here, do not compared this china make cars with other cars. Since you all have bought this car might as well enjoy it. Stop complaining, if you all still insist on complaining then why buy a china makde car? Think for yourself bro, what do we really want.

Serve me well.

People complaining about the car. Thinking that they make a stupid choice. Then what for buy? You guys are just stupid if you complain the car after you buy it.

Manhunter0995
Very impressive in design nevertheless.  Posted on 29 Sep 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I think engineers in china had done a very good job in design this mk well enough. The 'class' look, 2-tone leather seat that match the exterior body color. Everything goes well when u first enter the geely ubi showroom. Nevertheless, the engine performance really very disappointing after test driven it. Even the pricing and cheap first year insurance doesn't really justify the poor engine performance. Poor customer service are experienced by myself when visiting the geely showroom. Trust my verdict. After test driven the m.k , i proceed to borneo motor for test drive of the vios. It was a total different experiences from geely. Their sale engineers (This is wat they known as) are more helpful, tactful, polite and offer test drive w/o hesitation. All these wasn't "offered" during my visit to geely showrm. Secondly, customers can even have a cup of free cappucino while waiting for your test drive, while over at the geely showroom; you ought to purchase the soft drinks from the vending machine. No test drive was offered at the geely showrm. I have to asked for the test drive and it was only after much hesitation by the sale consultants.

The "class" exterior.
The 2-tone leather seats that matches the body color.
The body-kits.
Cheap first year insurance

Poor customer service by the sales team. Poor engine performance. 0km - 100km requires 15seconds.

SGCMalibaba
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Can be improved  Posted on 22 Sep 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I think the MK is having the same engine as the CK.

The look is better, but the engine is lacking in power .

The new look.

Engine is lacking of power too.

Jianghulangzi
Most not so reliable but Most Cheapest Car i ever own.  Posted on 03 Jun 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Bought this car within weeks since mid jan, problem many many, Air con not cold, push back, still the same. Until i finally realise there is a switch at bonnet. Off it, then air con cold. near CNY, batt flat because my key slot ACC switch not working, thus my instrumental panel not working at all. So 2 days after, battery flated. Drive back to geely and have it fix. Until now no problem. First Gear very hard to engage when stationery in neutral. Unless you enaged it before it stop oompletely. Feedback already and the advisor says its due to hydralic clutch, therefore need time to pump in. Lastly, when braking, it have loud screeching sound. Consulted back geely, they said due to brake dust. OMG! Problem many many...sick and tired of this car. When air con is running, there is no strong moving torque always need to move off in lane 3. Else kena horn by people behind. Paintwork not so nice.

Anyway, until now.. getting use of this CONS already. So forget it la. Just use till it dies off.

Running for 7000 km plus already. Fuel consumption.. Full tank till empty, as in really needle point to the bottom of the red marking (phew! luckly still can survive to my usual petrol station).. Total mileages is about 508km using 95 Esso. Now trying 98 petrol for a month to see if any improvment.

The exterior part of the car. Very look like Robot. My friend call it Transformer. The colour of the car. ":) vVery striking.. easy to locate my car in MSC. No need search high and low. From far, can see already.

Lastly, the most unique is, u may turn ON your headlight (1min only to locate your car) and totally wind up your windows with a push of your remote control when your engine OFF completely. after engine OFF, if u forget to off it, u still got a min to shut the window from the internal control of your cabin. after whitch it will have no effect. When the door not shut closely, it will horn horn horn.. the whole block of people wil be looking outside their window to "see" your car.

Lastly, the insaurance is damn cheap. $700 only. Be it u are 0 NCD or not. Probation or not. Just $700 for a year and we can enjoy the normal earning of NCD too. Also servicing is considering cheap also.

The interior part. copycat the toyota vios before facelift design. Behind a bit crampy. No power for moving off unless AIRCON is off. Super no power for moving off in full load. No signal warning light (tick tok tick tok). Alarm no beeb beeb sound unless door not shut completely.It got auto wind down all windows function but no auto wind up functions for all windows. Which is very useless right> hai~

First gear moving off, auto ramp the technometer till 3000rmp after we release the accerator. Dunno is it norm or not. So waste fuel. Unless aircon is off. Need to drag the speed to very high and rpm very high before can change higher speed unless aircon is off. Else car moving off is like very slow. sad.. LASTLY, CAR body too heavy for a 1.5litres car. a 1.5litres can with a heavy body is no different than a normal average fuel consumption european car.

Owned this MK  Posted on 17 May 2008

So far after owning this car here are the pros

1) Quiet Engine
2) Handling of corners and bend not that bad
3) Engine Power Wise not too bad, there is enough torque to accelerate
4) Fuel consumption wise, i get 440km at a quarter mark left.
5) Sound proofing is good. Hardly hear any wind noise outside.
6) Interior space is good even up to 5 pax.
6) Large boot space.

Cons
1) First gear shifting quite hard sometimes when waiting at traffic light in neutral gear.
2) Audio CD sound not that good.
3) Steering turning left got sound ( Gotta ask the agent workshop to rectified it when going for 1st servicing.

But overall im satisfy with this car. As compared to another car that i previously own. Will keep more updates when my first servicing is done.

Quiet Engine, the sound proofing.

Gear shifting problem for the start, and steering turn left noise.

Ed1978
 Posted on 22 Jan 2008

Overall a great car for the budget people out there. The chinese have really make it out slowly to the automobile market. Was very impressed when i first saw the car. Definitely better then most of the korean cars of the similar capacity.

Suharto
Looks like Junk, moves like Junk  Posted on 16 Jan 2008
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Overall, it won't last you a year.

MK might be good if they worked on the interior and body strength

Geely MK