Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Shooting Brake

Car Review - Mercedes Benz CLA-Class Shooting Brake CLA200 (A)
30 Sep 2015  |  Mercedes-Benz Reviews
Mercedes-Benz extends its dominance with the stylishly spacious CLA Shooting Brake. But can it maintain its reign? We take the handsome car out for a spin.
Facelift

The Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Shooting Brake was facelifted on Jan 2017. Read more

Consumer Reviews of Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Shooting Brake

1 Reviewer
4/5 Reliability
4/5 Interior Design
2/5 Engine Performance
0 out of 1 (0%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.
Login to sgCarMart to submit a review Submit a review

Thadeus6
54 forum posts Joined on 17-Jul-2002
Looks good but...  Posted on 21 Jun 2016
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Test drove the Shooting Brake over the weekend. Steering feels tight. Handling seems sharp and composed. The engine seems to rev quite readily but the power delivery just isn't there. The car struggled to move and pick up speed from a standing start. The gear changes are smooth and transmission seems quite refined. There are a ton of electronics in this car! The gear shifter is one of your steering wheel control stalks. Drive mode is selected on the center dash. The sport mode sets the car to manual mode where you can change gears using the paddle shifters. Nice! In this mode the engine makes a very nice rumbling noises at low speed. It sounds nice too and makes it seem like an AMG when it clearly isn't.

I didn't notice much body roll and the suspension seems to absorb most of the undulations in the road. The suspension feels firm but not harsh. It is certainly comfortable for rear passengers. My wife gave a thumbs up in terms of comfort so that was a good sign.

The interior is very well designed and put together. The only thing that I find having to get used to were the air vents. They look a little retro. I guess they are trying for retro modern kind of look. The details looks a bit too loud for me. The seats are comfortable and the driver seat quite body hugging with the cushioning in the right places. I fit perfectly in it.

Didn't get a chance to try all the settings and knobs. There certainly are quite a few settings I am sure. This car is full of electronics and a lot of non-standard options are fitted as standard for Singapore.

I didn't try the auto parking feature since I don't care much for it. Honestly, I'd rather not have it. It takes away the fun of parking. Other driver aids like reverse camera is OK. I'd much rather have lane warning sensors and proximity warning sensors.

I like the good looks and practicality of the Shooting Brake. The large boot space and the wide loading entry makes it easy to load large and bulky items. The Shooting Brake also has a higher roof line for the rear passengers compared to the saloon. The interior is well made and put together. Material used looks like top grade. I like the comfortable drive and the passengers seem to like it too.

I didn't like the engine output and power delivery. It feels too weak for a car this size. It needs more torque to haul the 1600+kg body around. The steering is also a little tight and heavy. It's not a big deal for me but it would be better if it was slightly lighter. There weren't any rear AC vents so on a hot day it may take awhile for the air to circulate to the rear.

Login to sgCarMart to submit a review Submit a review