The all new Suzuki Swift Sport is here

A Swift talk with Suzuki

10 cheapest brand-new cars you can buy 2021

COE premiums rise across all categories

Past Car
Models no longer being sold by local distributors.
Model unavailable since Dec 2011
Car Review - Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 (M)
22 Jan 2010  |  Suzuki Reviews
Fun fun fun under the tropical sun. We finally pay tribute to one of Singapore’s most popular hatchbacks...
   Consumer Reviews of Suzuki Swift Sport

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
TheRingFan
6 forum posts Joined on 27-Jul-2013
Great first car for anyone  Posted on 23 May 2017

This is my first car and it had brought me great joy and beautiful memories with it. All the wonderful road trips on it to all parts of Malaysia, 1 tracking session in JB and daily commute over this 8+ years of ownership.

Suzuki makes really reliable cars albeit basic but it does gets the job done and i must say the Swift Sport 1.6M is definitely one of the better cars in those days. I never really had to do major repairs in my years of ownership except for repairs causes by my own foolishness.

I was comparing Honda Jazz & Toyota Altis back then and i am glad i made this choice back then (although the other 2 dealer's salespeople didn't exactly bothered with me anyway, but i guess it can't be helped that they are really not lacking in sales)

High revving happy 1.6 engine
Solid manual transmission (but the gear felt squashy to me, but it sure is reliable)
It may look small, but with the knockdown rear seats, it had been really functional
Overall reliability of the car

The bare basic interior
Non-telescopic steering wheel which always felt like i'm in an awkward position, either my hands where too stretched out or my legs where too near to the dash.
Very high sitting position.

Carbine-
491 forum posts Joined on 26-Apr-2011
Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6M  Posted on 31 Aug 2011

Underneath the 'look closely or you miss it' redesign, this Swift sits on an all new platform. The chassis is lighter and stronger than the previous model. It is also a little bigger, length is up by 9cm, and the wheelbase (space between the front and rear wheels) has grown four centimetres allowing for more interior space.
Each body panel is new and different to its predecessor, yet the overall shape continues. We're long time fans of the chunky, high waist looks, black coloured A-pillars and Suzuki have thankfully opted for an evolutionary, if somewhat conservative, redesign.
The bigger, more elongated headlights, a grille which cuts into the bonnet more predominantly, and at the rear new tail lights and bumper styling would be easily overlooked if not familiar with it, but the clear and red tail-light clusters look significantly more modern than the previous models all-red finish.

Halo111094
54 forum posts Joined on 07-Feb-2010
A hatch so cheeky it rocks up at the Mini’s party with a four-pack of Special Brew, trashes the bathroom and leaves with the Mini’s girlfriend.  Posted on 19 May 2011

In its Sport guise, the Suzuki Swift is a little tearaway, serving up more fun than its power or price would have you believe. Even the base models are pretty perky. It's a small supermini, but OK for space in the front. In the back things are a lot more cramped. The main issue is noise: this is a light car and there isn't much sound deadening to quell the roar of the tyres. The Sport is cool-ish, as long as you manage to think yourself away from the mindset that you wanted a Mini but couldn't afford it. The Swift is unpretentious, kitted out with a simple hard-plastic cabin. But everything fits together accurately and permanently. On the outside, panel gaps are good and tight and the surfacing gives a well-resolved impression. But some more soundproofing would have been a good idea. The Swift is sharp and eager to engage. The quick steering and low-mass sensation have it chicaning about with glee. At times the Sport can even get a little tail-happy, so pay attention if you turn off the ESP. Five doors in a car so small help its case, and compactness aids parking. But bottom line is the Swift is a supermini, and a small one at that, so you have to accept the limitations.

Katakkudung
3 forum posts Joined on 16-Mar-2011
My first car and still driving it!  Posted on 16 Mar 2011

My first car ever, and having this for 4 years already. No disappointment - just space, but then what would you expect for a small car. Just a bit more power at stock would be great, but with aftermarket mods - legal hehe - just get enough more power. Will be sad to have to let it go soon to get a bigger car for the family...but loving it every moment now...

- Enough power for a manual, but a 6th gear will be appreciated!
- Great handling and pick-up!
- Great car to mod! From body-kits to that power and performance...interesting if it has a turbo version
- Very stable, and exciting acceleration round bends

Just wished it had slightly more legroom and boot space. Would have been better if the back seats could be folded upright fully like the 1st generation SSS and the boot then extends out almost to the front seat.

Slightly more power will be good. Slightly more...

Sigma81
0 forum posts Joined on 15-May-2010
Cute, Fast & Can Be Fuel Efficient too!!  Posted on 15 May 2010

I was looking for a car within my budget of >$70K last year and do not like to compromise when it comes to speed. Thus I bought SSS as I heard that it is of a "Near Extinction" model whereby a non-turbo car can smoke lotsa other cars on the road.

I agree with other owners that the running in portion was damn difficult as 60km on gear 5 would incurred 2K Rpm. Getting to destinations was a breeze if there are no jam ( if you know what I mean )

If you travel 100-130km, you will only travel 350++
If you travel 90-100km, you will get to clock 400++
But if you do some tuning to your car air intake, engine oil and travel not exceeding 90km, I have clocked 620-640km easily. ( With 33L of patrol )

To Conclude, SMOKE WHEN NECESSARY.. NOT ALWAYS..

1) Superb Cornering Ability ( No Body Roll )

2) Quick Response ( Shift Gear & Off You Go )

3) Outlook Of The Car ( Suits All Demographics )

4) Stock Brakes are GOOD ( Avoided countless Accidents )

1) If your Rpm raises above 3, there is a significant drop in your fuel consumption. ( But that is the point whereby your car surges forward =.=" )

2) Engine sound is loud ( Maybe due to high REV )

3) Personal Take, the radio set's ugly

Well you can't have it all. Overall, SSS is a fun car to drive with even in stock condition. Enjoy Fellows..

Colincheong
Exciting to drive, easy to live with  Posted on 03 Feb 2010

I bought my own Sport in April last year after a friend let me drive hers. That single drive convinced me that this was a wonderful car for fun drives and day-to-day driving.

It moves fast from zero, handles VERY precisely (with the heavier steering giving a feel of greater stability), always has power on tap, feels VERY stable and planted round corners and even sounds rather good.

Because it's small, it's easy to park. The clutch action (mine's a manual) is light and not a bother even in stop-start traffic. It shifts easily. And when the road clears, you're off and away!

It's not something I'd recommend for new drivers, though. This pocket rocket can be a bit of a risk to life and licence. Maybe for those upgrading from the standard Swift? Or experienced drivers looking for something more fun or a second ride.

The handling, the handling, the handling!
The performance is great for Singapore roads
The Suzuki Championship Yellow colour option
Easy to drive in a relaxed way too
Small size makes parking easy
It's actually very cute - kind of like having a sassy girlfriend (or a pitbull)
It has mod potential
Price was excellent, especially for OPC car (I paid 35k) - best bang for buck, really
Modest but good enough sound system (which I hardly use - the car sounds better)
Somewhat 'beng' image ;)

'Racing' seats look cheap, feel cheap and also cut all around visibility - why didn't they have the Recaros like the previous JWRC replica car?
Many blind spots
Super small boot (but it IS a small car, after all)
Cramped passenger area (but that's not my problem)
Silly plastic bits on otherwise excellent steering wheel

Navy831
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Makes you young again  Posted on 26 Dec 2009

I'm 48 and I drive this! I must be crazy. Probably the oldest in Singapore to do so; but I tell you, it makes you feel young again. Got alot of snide remarks at work but I don't care. They were/are just jealous.
The temperamental nature, the looks and street cred, they all add to the sense of occasion. This must be the way Porsche or Ferrari owners feel. At 1/10 of the price of a Ferrari, there's nothing out there in Singapore to touch it in it's class. Suzuki has put in all the right stuff to makes this a desirable car; albeit for the young and young at heart.

Looks (love that steering wheel),
4 disc brakes,
16" wheels(wishing for the 17" UK setup),
Street Credibility,
The 'Come drive me', factor

4 Speed auto (I'm old, remember),
Paintwork (low quality),
Gear stick (too tall),
General fit and finish (inside and out)
Slightly underpowered.

Runey
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Nov-2009
Nice Car but then...  Posted on 20 Nov 2009

Went for a Test Drive(Maunal), didnt impress me much maybe this vehicle is too common on road. 2k rpm can hit around 60km/h in 2sec to 3sec but with 98ron. Good handling but uncomfortable suspension for passenger. Gear Handle abit too low.

Nice Pick up

Lack of space

Chokboyz
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Nov-2009
Mini Rocket  Posted on 08 Nov 2009

I drove my Uncle's Swift Sport (manual) a few weeks ago and was blown away by the sheer performance of the car.

The engine is very responsive and the gear changes are very slick and firm. Being able to change gears at a very fast pace made the experience all the more fun.

The throttle response seems to be a tad sensitive. However, red-lining the engine in 2nd or 3rd gear gave me a very spine-tingling sensation. The engine is really a work of Art.

The interior is okay although space at the back might be a little small. Great stock sound-system!

Overall, considering the price, I'd say that this car is very fun and entertaining.

- Engine

- Interior

- Dual tail exhaust pipes

- Short gear stick

- Stock sound system

- Lack of rear leg space

- Stiff suspension (Bumpy ride)

Kohanson
283 forum posts Joined on 01-Sep-2006
Comfortable and nice car  Posted on 08 Nov 2009

The interior looks nice especially with lots of leather.
Very spacious and comfortable rear seats. Auto headlights are a good to have feature.
The exterior looks sporty.
The sound system is better than other car's stock system.

Cons
Noisy engine as I believe is due to the timing chain.
The auto gear always switches to the most fuel efficient gear and caused the slow pickup.

Navy831
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
It's a puppy straining at the leash.  Posted on 03 Jun 2009

This is a difficult car to drive slowly especially during the so called running in period. Engine just wants to rev. I had a hard time keeping the revs down.

Overall looks; almost timeless (just hope Suzuki comes out with something better). Remember the 1.3GT of the 80s, after that Suzuki was largely anonymous in Singapore notwithstanding the Ignis (stupid name for a car).

*4 speed auto
*mismatched ratios
*ugly gear knob(too tall)
*fit and finish of panels on dash
*no instrument dimmer
*champion motors' thinking that Singapore drivers are not sophisticated to have the ESP (offered in Australia and Europe)

Ahfat88
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Simple and straight forward performance hatchback.  Posted on 22 May 2009

I own a swift sport 1.6(M), bought from local agent. I changed the original exhaust system to a HKS CAT-BACK system, the engine remains stock. This car is very good in terms of performance and handling, very reliable too!

Simple and straight forward performance hatchback.

Gearing a bit too short. Not so good on high speed expressway.

Fredjas
Good car to own for small family  Posted on 07 Mar 2009

I have test drive and found that the car is indeed very smooth in pick up and stability. You can feel the power when you accelerate on the pedal. This is one of the car which i definitely would like to own due to its overall outlook and performance.

The exterior looks sporty and stylish and the internal is cosy.

The gear shift of the auto series, coz it does not really fit the overall look of the car. It would be good if the seats of this sport series can be in leather.

SBY9822E
Fun HB car. Not to be seen as a sports car.  Posted on 10 Feb 2009

This car has to be seen as a fun car, not so much of a sports car. Pick up and handling is superb and most importantly, it comes with very good fuel consumption of an average of 14.5km/l with my manual calculation after 7 full tanks of refill. 13.0km/l and 15.4km/l being my lowest and highest record respectively so far. Keyless entry makes hands full of stuff convenient; esp so when you need to approach the back boot.

Interior is simple and straight forward, something which I like. Exterior design seems timeless and never gets out of date. Plenty of aftermarket parts you can find, even in the 2nd hand market. You can buy and change popular items on a day by day basis! Fuel consumption is good

It drinks only ron 98 and above. Not that the price is unaffordable, but it gives some problem about replenishing lower grade fuel in other countries up north. Be ready to standby a bottle of octane booster!

Somehow this car attracts other road users (TP included) unwanted and unnecessary attention.

Xiaofighter
Fantastic test drive experience.  Posted on 23 Dec 2008

Though i just test drove and did not own it, i can feel that it's a wonderful vehicle.
It can really bring out the youngster expectations, from the exterior to the interior.

The interior is simple which i like.

Engine is smooth and powerful. It's far way above Vios, Latio or Altis which I test drove also.

Only regret is the limited space which can't suit my needs to ferry my friends and clients. But still those who are driving it for their own sake, consider swift or swift sports. =)

Smooth engine
Good power
Nice exteriors
Nice features
Nice handling
Basically can't find fault in it.

Space is too small. But again that's what makes it nice.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »