Related Articles

Car Review - Volkswagen Sharan 2.0 TSI (A)

The ultimate MPV

The ideal Christmas car

Vehicle sales and transfers to go online

Car Review - Volkswagen Sharan 2.0 TSI (A)
15 Nov 2011  |  Volkswagen Reviews
Volkswagen continues its aggressive model expansion in Singapore with the new Sharan full-size MPV.
   Consumer Reviews of Volkswagen Sharan

4.5/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Features
3.5/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
11 out of 11 (100%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

jojovinu
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Jun-2014
My next family car with power!  Posted on 17 Jun 2018

I had a chance to test drive volkswagen sharan during an MCF event . My first impression was , this is a Big car and after test drive I realized that , this is the best Family SUV .

In interior it is really spacious and can accommodate my big family of 4 children and the boot is quiet big as well to carry the Lugguage.

The Engine is more powerful , and easy handling as well.

opgamerkkhk
15 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
Impressive performance and space  Posted on 09 Jun 2018

The sharan is super big on the inside and out, parked next to estima/odyssey looks like giant. Selling price only 157 k and comes with a lot of features. Can you believe such a huge car with a 2 litre engine accelerates 7.8s??? It is faster than the miatas auto and suzufi swift sport aka poor ah beng chia. Third row spacious can fit seven adults comfortably, got money i confirm buy but now already book touran, almost 40k cheaper

space
power, when full load still very fast
5 year warranty,3 year servicing
huge boot
features
built in booster seats
steering feel and handling
VW materials and fit&finish top notch
Many freebies from SE

stylig starting to age but aging well
build in portugal
difficult to park, can specc with pARK ASSIST THOUGH
rims a tad too small
too powerful, in mscp step too much will fly

Presea
Premium User Presea
1265 forum posts Joined on 18-Sep-2002
Wow. So glad to have waited for this version  Posted on 16 Jun 2017

Stepping from the Passat which we owned for 9 years, this is an easy buy.
The car is huge on the inside, with the basic items that most would like in a people mover, including full size 3rd row of seats, easy to slide/move/adjust 2nd row, sun&moon roof, lots of cubby holes for storage.

The engine is an easy to love item, powerful enough to pull forward from standstill with sufficient poke to startle almost any standard car. The 350nm of torque also means that this huge car surges forward at the prod of the throttle, quickly reaching illegal speeds and beyond.

The new multi-media interface provides a bunch of customisations in addition to the built-in rear view camera view. From bluetooth connectivity, to a reduced set of phone applications (Android Auto and Automate compatible).

- The Size and Spaciousness
- The Power of the engine
- The quick DSG gearbox
- Autohold!

- The lack of memory seats!
- The fuel consumption (about 8km/L)
- The sheer size of the thing makes it a challenge in tight corners and narrow spots.

Xfire
0 forum posts Joined on 07-Mar-2012
Very Stable Car!!  Posted on 26 Jul 2016

Upgraded from Honda Stream to Sharan. Was looking around for upgrade and replacement of Honda Stream and was looking at Honda Ody, Toyota Wish, C4 Grand Picasso and lastly Sharan. Sharan was not in my top choice of selection initially due to its high price. However, after reviewing all the options, I decided to commit to a Sharan instead. Do not want to change from Honda to Honda (driven Honda for past 15 years), Do not want to change to parallel grades like Wish.

Driven Sharan for more than 3 months and the review is per follows,

- The Handling
- Acceleration
- Comfort of driving
- Electronics, e.g Bluetooth
- Integrated Child Seat - So that I can remove two child booster seats to free up space
- Stability
- Most importantly, my three kids love it.

- Bad fuel consumption. I am a heavy footer. This is to me, quite an issue. Force me to change my driving habits. A bit disappointing in that aspect.
- Small side mirrors.
- Dated exterior design

Whiskeylime
0 forum posts Joined on 03-Jan-2016
Fastest and Biggest Full size 7 Seater Sliding door MPV in Asia ?  Posted on 11 Jan 2016

Was previously driving Honda Stream MPV and family siting behind keep complaining too cramp, the car started having problems Vtec leak, Transmission problem after 7+ years. Saw this Hugh VW Sharan Monster MPV on the Road with Good engine achiving 0-100 in 8.3s made me consider this car. Engine was actually GTI engine can easily stage 1 mod up +50Hp which acceleration easily 7.3s. 0-100s or Much more..

- Practical, Solid Feel, Good Sound Insulation, Ride High, Auto Parking, Good Parking Sensors.
- Fast, Smooth, Quiet and Instant acceleration. You don't feel the speed !
- Huge, Wide , Long, Heavy and Stable Car.
- Fastest Sliding Door MPV in Asia
- Most MPV can`t catch up , make them Smell Smoke.
- Engine Sound Solid during acceleration.
- Comes with Child Booster Seats

- Simple Interior as compare to Jap Cars.
- Slightly high idling at 800-950rpm due to Turbo.
- Fuel Consumption could be better however if by Cruse Control at most time with 70% highway, 30% Urban manage to achieve 10-12km/L however in heavy Urban areas , start-stop only achieving 7-9 km/L
- Acceleration Paddle too Sensitive.

Keithdylan
Premium User Keithdylan
9 forum posts Joined on 04-Apr-2015
The most underrated car in Singapore !!!!!  Posted on 29 Jul 2015

Having driven Toyota Estima for the past 7 year, it is time to look for a new car and I come across this monster mpv.
This is the first conti car I owned and I must said it exceed all my previous Japanese made car.
So far I have clocked 6000km over 3 month and travelled to KL for a few times, travelling on NSHY running at 130-140km is a breeze and I must said that this car is more stable than Estima.
This mpv has all the power when you needed and it has a very luxury interior.
Fuel consumption is a bit on the high side and averagely I can get about 8.5km/L, but what you can get for your rewards is a turbo engine that can run from 8 sec from still to 100km which other mpv can't give me.
At current COE and Volkswagen Singapore is giving promotion prices, I must said go for a test drive, you will not regret.

1) This MPV comes in full specs with moon roof,original hand free Bluetooth, cruises control, paddle shift, auto hold, electric tailgate , Gps and many more that you could think of.

2)A very advanced auto park that comes with parallel and vertical parking plus auto out in case the slot you parked is to small that you don't have the confidence to get out on your own.

3)A very solid sound system that this is the first time I don't have to change the speaker , no need to install sub woofer.
In my previous 7 car I owned , I change it before 1 month.

4) This Sharan has an astonishing 11 air bags that you will only find in luxury cars. ( 6 side air bags on top, driver and passenger seat, steering, passenger front board and driver knee air bags ).

1) This full sized Mpv has a smaller storage place behind, Estima has a much bigger storage.

2) Price a bit on the high side but what you can get is a OMV of over 40K.

3) GPS is not update.

Wolfverine
Premium User Wolfverine
NOS-ed
693 forum posts Joined on 03-Dec-2005
Best equip MPV and most drivable in this price range  Posted on 12 May 2014

Have tested the new Honda Ody, Sharan & Previa - all 7 seaters with full specs. I must say that Sharan came up tops in terms of safety, electronic features, handling, power and best interior finishing. Size wise, Sharan is comparable with the Previa; In my opinion, the Ody is the smallest amongst the 3, including the boot space. Love the sliding door function for all 3. Efficiency wise, can't really tell but I guess the TSI 2.0 engine for Sharan should come up best - at the very least, the road tax will be the lowest amongst the 3! Value wise, Sharan has the highest OMV with Ody being the lowest; price wise, Previa most expensive with Ody being the cheapest. In conclusion, committed myself with the Sharan!

As noted above.

Don't know where to mount the LCD monitor other than the headrest type due to the panoramic roof.

lichya
0 forum posts Joined on 02-Apr-2014
Excellent MPV with good features for every family members  Posted on 02 Apr 2014

I collect the Sharan on end Feb 2014. Collection process was good though few stickers residual was found on the top tailgate. Probably this was due to the high of the car. Though I had been driving Japanese compact MPV for 10 years, it still took sometime to adjust to the size. The power and pick up was great and very quiet inside.

One disappointing point is the rattling sound from front passager aircon outlet when accelerating between gear 4 to 6 after 3 days of driving. Had sent in for troubleshooting but issue still not resolved.

Very good handling
Nice interior features and comfort
Engine power
Simply to use interface with Bluetooth add-on
Sunroot and shade

Engine rattle sound from front passager aircon outlet when accelerating
Fuel heavy in urban drive
Wind mirror need times to get used to when reverse parking

Vjsi1316
0 forum posts Joined on 29-Jul-2009
Well built and useful family car  Posted on 26 Jan 2014

I believed I am one of the early buyers when I collected it in July 2012. I bought it after comparing to the available MPV in the market. It may cost a little more but I noticed its a car built with many futuristic features designed for family use. We have been using it for the last 18 months and I must say I intend to keep it for a while.

- Very spacious, everyone seats comfortably
- Engine is very responsive, handling is great, felt like a sedan
- Great futuristic family features. examples:
* Good lightings both for interior and exterior
* Unique turning lights to ensure maximum lighting when turning
* All doors are electronically controlled and stop upon resistance to ensure safety
* Sliding Rear doors, good for tight car parks
* Remote can open doors in case your hands are full after shopping
* Music and sound control is very flexible

- Not so good looking
- Can be a little bit more fuel heavy due to heavy body + light turbo engine
- Some of the onboard controls are not very intuitive but I also didn't bother to read the manual :)

Seahkw
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Great Family Car  Posted on 06 Mar 2013

Just collected the Sharan for a few days now and I like it pretty much. Its quite a monster and the parking takes some getting used to. There are some many little features like the door lighting to help you see where you are going in dark places. Really nice experience for my first conti ride. It is not perfect but there is plenty to like about this car.

1. The drive is very good for a car of its size and handling is tight. Obviously it cant handle a corner like a sedan but I have compared it to the Elgrand and Vellfire before deciding on this.
2. It has sufficient power even when fully loaded.
3. The ICE is decent but an additional amp would help a lot.
4. Installed the original Bluetooth set and making calls is breeze now.
5. There is a lot of leg room for the passengers and this is an ideal car if one is ferrying a kampung like me.
6. LED Lighting is very nice.
7. Nice second row storage for shoes

1. Interior and Wing mirrors could be BIGGER.
2. High idling speed of 950rpm due to turbo engine
3. Could have come equipped with the Bluetooth function
4. Why do we need seat warmers??
5. A little too pricy

Sean_philip_lim
9 forum posts Joined on 29-Oct-2011
Last MPV to be launched in Singapore and it surely doesn't dissapoint!  Posted on 08 Nov 2011

I was down at Volkswagen showroom a couple of weeks ago and happen to chance upon the Volkswagen Sharan, I must say that the entire concept of the car is very in line with the Volkswagen matra. Simply to use yet elegant looking.

The 2.0TSI engine is certainly capable of propelling the car in an energetic fashion. Can't hold a candle to my currently 2.0 normal aspirated Japanese engine.

The interior is Avant-Grade looking with features such as one touch parking break and the awsome RNS510 audio system. However, what is displayed in the Volkswagen showroom is not what you would actually for the listed price. There are many additional features that will add on to the cost of the car(very typical of German manufactures)

All in all, an excellent car to drive. The only problem is the cost of the car. Hovering around the 200k soon. It is significantly more expensive than it's competitors; Honda Odyssey & Toyota Previa

Interior features
Engine capabilities
Simply to use interface
German Engineering
Full spec version is unbeatable in comfort

Price Tag
6 Speed wet DSG tranmission(most VW cars now use the newer dry 7 speed DSG)
Fuel consumption
Deceiving display car. Price tag does not include many of the features shown in the car showroom.

Volkswagen Sharan