Related Articles

Outlander PHEV and Outlander earn top honours

Double premiere for Mitsubishi in Geneva

The Mitsubishi Outlander is honest and simple

Auto Spritze uses genuine parts for your car

Car Review - Mitsubishi Outlander 2.0 CVT Style 7-Seater (A)
28 Nov 2018  |  Mitsubishi Reviews
The Outlander may only look refreshed on the outside, but it now comes with a 2.0-litre front-wheel drive variant, and is more appealing than ever.
vs

3.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
4/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
24 out of 27 (88.9%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
Wheelsonthebus
0 forum posts Joined on 18-Jan-2020
VFM SUV  Posted on 18 Jan 2020

Just got my style variant outlander this month and I will it's really Value for Money. Purchase it during Xmas promo period and mitsubishi doesn't disappointed with their Service and package.

1.) Spacious
2.) Big
3.) Affordable when at good times
4.) 5 years warranty plus 10 years engine warranty
5.) 18" rims
6.) easy steering
7.) kenwood stereo
8.) much spacious 3rd row compared to other SUV with 3rd row.

1.) small headunit
2.) fuel efficiency can be better

AlvinWang
2 forum posts Joined on 15-May-2012
Good drive after 7 months!  Posted on 18 Jan 2020

Have been driving it for 7 months with 7 persons some times. Pickup is slow but can't complain much for such selling price. There is a jerk when the auto hold is initially on, thereafter no such issue. Some low creaking noise also heard when car is stationary with auto hold on. Encountered tarnished paint after 5 months as well at corners and interface of sealer/metal parts of cars. Service centre rectified it and said mine have the most compared to other reported cases.

Less obnoxious, irritating and unnecessary flicking of lights and sounding of horns from bigger/sports cars for no rhymes and reasons during those bygone days when I drove a 1500cc car. Frankly, many such sick drivers in my last 20 years' driving experience prior to current car.

Good fuel consumption and good service staff at service centre (Pandan Gardens).

Slow pick up but based on the selling price, acceptable!

Zhngmycar
100 forum posts Joined on 14-Dec-2010
Remind me of L200 Triton  Posted on 17 Jan 2020

Went to test drive this Mid-Sized SUV at C&C given additional discount on top of the sales price. But the car keep remind me of the L200 pickup. As for quality u cant expect much for this kind of selling price. Very under powered as this car is a NA 2.0 used to be a 2.4L model for the previous model was just nice.Current model mated with a CVT expected performance. This car looks big on the outside but its pretty cramped inside and especially the third row is for kids not for adults no more boot space if all rows are up and full loaded.

Selling price

Crampy 3rd row

sinnamaricar
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Nov-2017
Best value for money car I've owned.  Posted on 13 Dec 2019

The car is neat and stylish. It's long, broad and tall. The presence is phenomenal! Every new comer sits in the car attest that. It's quite, smooth as floating and ease of use of all features.

Great inbuilt sound Kenwood system, woofer and bass is like thundering. Good.

Electric brake is good. Auto brake is excellent.

Cons;
Great aircon, chillness is excellent, 2rd row blower on the roof would have been better.

Some essential features, like blind spot detection, forward mitigation systems, 360° Bird view, all NOT available in SG imports.

The dashboard has not been upgraded for a long time now.

There is plenty of room to improve.

I still love this car for its grand look and style.

KAKAGOH
0 forum posts Joined on 04-Dec-2019
Economy Affordable SUV  Posted on 04 Dec 2019

Spacious 7 Seater in this SUV Class not comparing to MPV.
CVT less responsive is a drawback. That is basically CVT so no complaints.
Electronic Steering, pretty light. Surprisingly good noise insulation.

Affordable pricing. 3rd Row SUV. Interior features compare to my outdated Wish.
Rear Aircon Blower. 10 Years Engine Warranty.

CVT, Tight 3rd row compare to Oddysey and Wish but this is SUV. too much chrome for me.

TinxeMitsubishi
0 forum posts Joined on 08-Aug-2019
More safety option and but engine power still need improvement  Posted on 27 Sep 2019

The price of Outlander is quiet good and could be the most affordable 7 seats SUV in the market. Incomparison with other competitor, like CR-V, Ford Escape, Mitsubishi Outlander is always behind in term of performance and engine power.

Reasonable Price
New features for interior as Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Parking Camera and heatined steering wheel.

Engine and driving performance

AlvinWang
2 forum posts Joined on 15-May-2012
A good buy !!  Posted on 01 Aug 2019

Just got the babe a week ago. My family and I are happy with it so far. However, I did not foresee seniors having difficulty getting in/out of it. Intend to install side steps to aid them. And window visors too. Not using all the functions in the LCD screen though e.G. Miracast, ipod, spotify. Still getting use to fully utilise the rear parking screen. Strongly recommended for those intend to upgrade to a bigger cc and bigger car.

- impressive size (cut down unnecessary flashing and horn from bigger cars, as experienced by my last smaller car)
- value for money
- reasonable fuel consumption
- sound proofing acceptable (comparatively, as that from my last car was horrendous)

- jerks experienced, especially if Auto hold is being activated
- overtaking takes some effort
- more effort to get into the last row seat

Peterblack
22 forum posts Joined on 13-Jun-2011
Quite good actually.  Posted on 09 Jul 2019

Driven this car for about 3 weeks. Although onboard calculation for fuel consumption can go up to 17 or 18km/L but actual calculation is about 12km/l which is not too bad for a 2L car. Pickup is actually quite good if you understand the characteristics of CVT, but pls do not compare with more powerful cars. Sound insulation is not too bad but bulk of the noise comes from the undercarriage. Space wise is fine as the last row of seats are always taken by my kids. Can be a chore for adults. Electronics wise I would say it is very good already and this car in made in Japan.

Space and value for money 2L SUV.

None at the moment.

HamiSK
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Mar-2019
Doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets.  Posted on 13 Mar 2019

Just viewed this car few weeks ago, as my dad was looking for a new SUV to purchase. I have to say, it really is a brilliant car, for the new 2019 Variant. They've improved alot of things such as adding air-conditioning towards the back seats and etc, really impressive. It really is a value for money SUV for a family, really good car! Yes, the last two seats might be squeezy, but actually the middle seats have a lot of leg room! I'm a 188cm guy, and when I seat in the middle seats, I have a lot of leg room! My knees are quite far from touching the driver's seat or the passenger's seat infront! If you push the middle seats a tad bit forward, the back seats would have much more leg room! This car is just so simple, yet its perfect in all the aspects of a budget SUV. However, I do feel that the engine should be a 2.4L, as it is a SUV. Unfortunately our government isn't very nice about that.

Large boot space.
Comfy seats.
Very silent drive even when revving.
Large legroom area in middle seats.
Stylish exterior.
Simple interior but very easy to use.
Gear shifters behind steering wheel makes it sporty-feel.
Handbrake is much more different than past year cars!

2.0L isn't enough for these types of SUVs, should be 2.4L.

dyong28
7 forum posts Joined on 03-Feb-2019
Affordable SUV with Okay Performance  Posted on 03 Feb 2019

No doubt, the Mitsubishi Outlander is a handsome looking car. Its Dynamic Shield makes its front looks aggressively sporty and isn't that one of the reason why people like SUVs?

When I first bought the car, I love it mainly because how it looked and how it was being reasonably priced. However, after driving it for some time, there are some problems that I starts to see:
1. The CVT is a drag and it is not doing the reasonably powered engine any justice. Overtaking cars needs tremendous effort from the engine and despite how much it roars, it just feels like the CVT isn't able to thrust the car forward. Accelerating when the car is already traveling over 60km/hr works better, since the car already has some momentum. But if I really want more thrust, switching the car to 4WD Lock will be needed.
2. I believe that the engine reliability should be fine, since Mitsubishi is willing to give the engine a 10yrs warranty. However, I am not so sure about other parts of the car. Within 2yrs after driving the car, things started to fall apart. The weather seals on the doors and car body began to drop off, passenger overhead handle started to come off, just to name a couple.

However, don't get me wrong, the Mitsubishi Outlander is not entirely bad. To be fair, besides the 2 key points above, the Outlander does have its positive points like, handsome good looks, good fuel efficiency, comfortable ride with good suspension, sufficient space to take 7pax at any time of the day, etc.

All in all, I would say that my experience with the Outlander isn't the worst, but it isn't the best either. In any case, it is still the better Japanese 7-Seater SUV than the other brand, which is also using CVT transmission for its comparatively smaller 7-Seater SUV.

1. Handsome good looks
2. Sufficient space to take 7pax (incl. 2 kids)
3. Good fuel efficiency
4. Comfortable ride with good suspension
5. Sufficiently powered engine, if it is paired with a better transmission
6. Reasonably priced

1. Terrible CVT that is unable to transmit sufficient power to its wheels
2. Overall make reliability, where car parts start to drop off after driving for 2yrs
3. Mediocre handling with lots of body roll when addressing bends and corners
4. Interior furnishing and features can be improved

Suzeneka
1 forum posts Joined on 21-Dec-2018
Good entry-level 7-seater Jap SUV  Posted on 21 Dec 2018

Been driving the 2015 2.4L Outlander for more than 3.5 years and decided to check out the new 2.0L model recently. Except for the front portion especially grille, the looks are quite similar. Best colour is again, red! It is scarily quite similar on the inside esp. Dashboard and finishing. There have been improvements though especially with the 2nd row aircon and lower capacity engine (i.E. 2.0L from 2.4L), with some savings on the road tax expected. Unfortunately, there is no sunroof for the new model or option for AWD (only FWD). The price is again, very reasonable and should be attractive to those who want to upgrade from Jap sedans to small/medium SUV.

Very attractive pricing for Made in Japan 7-seater medium-size SUV.
Like my current, expected to be reliable on the road for years.
2nd row aircon now available which is my current biggest pain point!

Too similar exterior and interior to 2015-2017 models.
No AWD/4WD option unlike predecessor models.
Same narrow width like predecessor models esp. for 3rd row.

opgamerkkhk
62 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
Cheap but affordable  Posted on 08 Jun 2018

Cheap in a sense that the quality is sub par to cars like forester,tiguan,x trail. Iterior space is okok,3rd row better than most in the segment.At 125k for the 2.4 it is reasonable. The performance is very average, do not even think about the 2.0, it will be hell.CVT is very whiny, road noise very evident, wind noise almost unacceptable. If lookinfor seven seater should take a look at vw touran or even the grand secnic.

Price,10 year warranty, liveable 3rd row seats

Noise,pretty unbearable,like my last time mx-5(na)
build quality pretty bad
Quiite sluggish if on full load
FC very high,test car 7.2km/l

Evo5sg
38 forum posts Joined on 31-May-2011
Large on the exterior  Posted on 25 Feb 2018

Was looking for a 7-seater to replace Stream.
Car looks big on the outside, but tight inside, especially the last row. I really experienced how Paul's review done in Malaysia for sitting at the last row.
Turn-off for me as I expected it to be better with the bigger exterior.

Tall clearance
Looks big on the outside - road presence

Entry model does not have sunroof
Last row is very tight.
Steering did not feel nice to hold

AndyMichaelsLim
0 forum posts Joined on 06-Jan-2018
Best value 7 seater SUV with 4WD  Posted on 06 Jan 2018

Best value for money, the 4WD gives it a continental feel while driving. Big powerful MIVEC makes the Outlander nimble and great for over taking. The only other 7 seater SUV with 4WD I can think of is the XC90 which costs 300k.

7 Seats! 4WD and SUV looks! Flexible seats configuration is great for hauling large loads especially from Malaysia. It’s practically maintenance free, especially with the 5 year free servicing package and 10 year engine warranty.

Sound proofing can be better, Seats can be more comfortable.

opgamerkkhk
62 forum posts Joined on 15-Nov-2016
Rugged SUV  Posted on 20 Nov 2016

This car is very practical for daily need as well.

ELECTRIC PARK BRAKE