Related Articles

Honda Civic Type R to sport two variants

Honda Civic Type R Limited Edition sold out

Refreshed Honda Civic Type R unveiled

8 car accessories shops operating on Sundays

Car Review - Honda Civic 1.6 i-VTEC (A)
26 Sep 2016  |  Honda Reviews
With its combination of comfort, practicality, daily usability and sweet driveability, the new Civic 1.6 hopes to recapture the hearts of Singapore drivers.
vs
Comparison Tests:
Honda Civic 1.6 i-VTEC LX (A) vs Skoda Octavia 1.0 TSI Ambition Plus (A)
Facelift

The Honda Civic was facelifted on Jan 2019. Read more

Consumer Reviews of Honda Civic

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
40 out of 49 (81.6%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 4 ) Next »
BrianTay
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Nov-2017
Nice looking civic fc  Posted on 15 Dec 2019

Been driving the civic 1.6 so far good no issue
Sport mode can feel the punch
Vtec on can feel the car become another car ..
CVT need some time to get used to
If you want speed and power .. Consumption sure affect
Driving on the high way consumption is good about 12.5 km/litre ...
The car is good ...

KevinCheong
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Apr-2019
My first car!  Posted on 30 Nov 2019

I'm thoroughly thrilled to be the owner of the 10th gen civic as my first car. Being my maiden car, I do not have past experiences(of car ownership) which I can kinda pull from for comparison, but here's my experience thus far:

The Good
1) Fantastic exterior styling. I'm 30 years of age and I feel the civic, aesthetically, really suit my age group. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.
2) Comfortable driver's seating position with plenty of room(leg room, head room, steering wheel position adjustment etc).
3) Good visibility all around.
4) Honda badge = established reliability.
5) Great driving dynamics - handles twisty roads well, steering is precise and brakes feel good.
6) Rear aircon vents for backseat passengers.
7) Roomy for backseat passengers.

The Not-So-Good
1) Pick up for the 1.6NA is so-so but the 1.5T is too pricey for me now, and since I'm on SG roads and a civilised driver, I can live with this.
2) Interior is a tad blend. Infotainment system isn't as good as the continental counterparts.
3) Paint work doesnt seem to be quality in my opinion.
4) Lack of safety features. Think 1.6 variant only has 2 airbags as compared to 6 for the turbo. Standard safety features should apply across all variance bar the bells and whistles.

Overall, if anyone is in the market for a first car, this is definitely worth considering. It looks stylish and sporty, and overall offers plenty of comfort for driver and all passengers. The 2019 mazda 3 may give it a run for its money, and the avante may prove to return excellent value dollar-for-dollar, but personally the civic has pipped its rivals in similar class range to the post with its overall package.

Sherleo
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Oct-2019
Review for 1.5 Turbo Sedan  Posted on 15 Oct 2019

Recently bought the 1.5T Civic after test driving 1-3 models each from 6 other brands as well (Mazda, Kia, Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, Skoda) either from dealers or friend's cars. Was going for a compact sedan which looks handsome, drives well, provides decent power and good fuel economy. Ended up narrowing down to between Kia cerato sports or Stinger, Mazda 3 or 6, Skoda Octavia 1.4 or 2.0 and this. Personally for me I decided to go for this as this car suits me and is at a price range I am more comfortable with.

Love that it is low slung with awesome chasis to handle corners
Highway and city driving 50-50. Fuel Consumption(FC) between 7 to 7.5L/100Km with a heavy foot. My FC is ard 5.5 to 6.5L/100km on days I take it easy.
The Sunroof looks gr8 with a beautiful black jagged front when opened as compared to others that is plain, or have netting
The power of the car makes it feel so effortless and smooth
Steering is light and responsive
Electric auto handbrake when stop, giving my legs loads of rest
Without the physical handbrake, the front console and armrest is HUGE and gives that added comfort when driving for sure
Huge leg room for both front and rear passenger
Dual aircon as well as rear aircon
Lane assist is extremely helpful once you get used to it
The front usb, hdmi and power socket points have an area to tuck wires making the car look so neat and clean
High Resale Value
Lastly, the car is just too sexy, I think I'm falling in love with it....

No memory seat which is made harder as electric seats have alot of settings to recall. Not rly an issue if only 1 person driving most of the time.
No ventilated seats which I guess comes in handy with our hot climate.
No area to put shades usually located just behind the front cabin lights. Placing mine in the dashboard as a result.
No Honda Sensing, would be nice to have this feature for 1.5T
Wish it comes with a manual transmission

Philipkee
NOS-ed
3103 forum posts Joined on 25-Oct-2009
Low slung car  Posted on 08 Sep 2019

I have sat inside the civic and felt it move before. It is a very sporty car and stable one. But I will never buy it for myself cos everytime I get into the car it's like I fall into the car as opposed to get it. That's what I meant by low slung. Too low for my liking.

Stable feeling

Too low slung. It's like falling into a car rather than getting into it.

AnandVijayakumar
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Aug-2019
Ok car but could be way better  Posted on 19 Aug 2019

Test drove the civic on 12 august. Car was decent with good enough engine power, response, space inside and would make a very good point to point car. Comparing with it's peers it lacks in many areas. Most of its peers have 5/7 airbags while it has only2. Apple car play or android auto would have been greatly useful. In car entertainment system could have been better. Interior quality felt cheap. Though i wanted to go for the civic, i didn't as there were many better options available at the same price point

Honda branding, name and resale value
spacious interiors and boot
smooth engine & drive

customer service was only average - even though we had booked an appointment it took 10-15 mins for them to identify someone to help us
interior looked very cheap and poorly made

Wasteland
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Jul-2019
Potential car for a 1.5t engine  Posted on 14 Jul 2019

Owned this car for 2 years, a comfortable car with large space at the rearseats and boot.

Quite stable at high speed, able to over take easily with the turbo engine.

Very reliable,no problem for the past 2 years. Tuned the car with fully stock parts, able to get 33nm of torque on wheels. After tune able to compete with most 2 L turbo cars.

-Nice look, especially after changing to Type R bumpers
- Larger rear seats and boot space, can put in children bike and a e scooter,quite amazed by it
- Engine quite sporty at stock setup
-Cvt transmission seamless gear change, very silent and no jerking during gear change
- Left Blind spot camera is very useful, don't even need to move my head, if only there is right side camera as well
- Potential car for tuning to make it over 190whp and 330nm torque
- Lots of modifications available for the body kit

-lots of cheap plastic parts
- at the price it could have come with more safety features
-Sound insulation could be better
- default setup does not give a good confidence when going through a bend at high speed
- lousy paint work
- lousy battery that dies in 1 year
- For the price, can consider paying 7 to 9k more for a more powerfull car, skoda rs. Consider that with the tuning , modification of springs, strut bars, rims, wheels bbk, air intake etc, it will easily add up to more than 10k

Ahronron
1 forum posts Joined on 24-Feb-2011
Review for 1.5T for a almost 2 year owner  Posted on 17 Apr 2019

As a previous owner of Honda (Jazz), the ride has not failed to live up to its hype. It is great looking, powerful (speaking from the angle of 1.5T) and a fun ride (with some enhancements done, e.G. Tuning / sound proofing). With the above, the ride has always give me a face full of smiles when driving it.

Almost everything! (the imperfections are listed under "What i do not like")

1. The LOUSY paint quality finishing.
2. The loose sunroof that produces knocking/vibrating sound when on the move

Tun86
0 forum posts Joined on 01-Apr-2019
One of the best cars I have driven  Posted on 01 Apr 2019

I have been owning this car for about 7 months now. It is true that its acceleration in D mode is not tht responsive compare to its older generation, but you can drive in S mode if u want faster response. Even in D, its performance is more than enough for the city drive. I like both exterior and interior looks. For FC, I am getting abt 15.2km/l which is better than expected. Quite a spacious car and good infotainment system. I believe those are complaining about higher FC in civic have very heavy foot. Civic is designed for faster response and if u have a heavy foot, the FC will confirm go high (I have tried that).
So far not even trivial problem has been encountered.

Everything

- no auto folding of side view mirrors

ArthurChan
4 forum posts Joined on 23-Feb-2019
ZC31S swift sport  Posted on 23 Feb 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Totally agreed with the previous fellow that give a sincere review.
I was totally attracted to its exterior and interior outlook of the 1.6 FC during test drive that i did not pay much attention to its performance.

Collected the new car and been driving for a while.
Seriously, CVT transmission is slow response n sloggish...Even suzuki ditch the CVT on ZC32...Yet honda still using it.

Fuel consumption is worse than a 2007 technology 4gear car that i previously drive.

Super regret buying 1.6NA at this price...This is the price of other continent with turbo engine and better FC.
Buy this if u like the looks, dont mind the slowness and huge FC consumption.

Outlook and interior.
New dashboard layout.

Super slow car
Very bad FC

MarkerPen
8 forum posts Joined on 28-Aug-2011
Great looks but CVT gearbox and high fuel consumption is a let-down  Posted on 17 Feb 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I have been driving the naturally aspirated 2017 Civic 1.6 VTi for the past year and a half. Firstly, it looks great, possibly one of the best-looking sedans in it's class. The car is relatively spacious and has great Honda build quality. The interior design looks nice and futuristic too.

Sadly, the 1.6L engine is a carry over from the previous generation and has no significant improvements in terms of performance and efficiency. The CVT gearbox does not help its case along either. The usual rubber-band effect can be felt when accelerating hard and the drone of the gearbox is pretty loud. The biggest letdown however is the poor fuel consumption - I was getting around 7-8km/l or around 330km per full tank. The ECON switch is just for show as it did not save any fuel. The overall stance of the car is rather low slung too which may prove difficult for older folks to get into the car. It also costs more than its competitors in this class.

- Honda build quality and reliability
- Great looks inside and out
- Spacious and practical interior

- High fuel consumption (7-8km/l)
- CVT gearbox is sluggish and noisy
- Inefficient engine from old model
- Can feel under-powered for quick overtaking
- Low-slung body can prove to be difficult for older folk to enter cabin

CFJoccer
2 forum posts Joined on 25-Oct-2018
2006 Honda Civic Ex  Posted on 27 Oct 2018

I bought this car my senior year of high school and truly would go back and do it all over again. For my daily commute and how much i drove, the MPG and reliability were great! I get anywhere from 350 to 500 miles to the tank depending upon where i drive(city/highway) or how had on the pedal i am. I bought the car with 80,000 on the clock and now has 152,000 and have had zero issues other then regular/routine maintenance. I love this car and would recommend it to friends and family or for someone's first car! I am a pretty tall guy and was a little disappointed when i first saw the car but when i got in and realized how much room i had and how comfortable it was i was amazed.

Comfortable, and easy to drive.

Pricey; poor exterior design.

KimHwee
53 forum posts Joined on 31-Jul-2018
First car I've purchased and loving it thus far!  Posted on 12 Sep 2018

Was deciding between the Toyota Altis Elegance model and the Honda Civic 1.6NA and decided to get the Civic as it looks sportier and fiercer compared to the Altis.

I understand that this is the first time that the Civic models were fitted with CVT gearboxes by Honda and this was really apparent from the 'rubber-band' effect whenever the car changes shift, be it up or down. It is quite a big difference from the Altis as I used to drive my parent's Altis and their CVT did not exhibit this kind of behaviour. Other than that, there also seems to be this subtle 'jerk back' feeling whenever I let go of the accelerator at around the 70 km/h speed. Most fellow drivers also share that they experience these same things but Kah Motors' response was that everything is normal.

Moving on from the minor dislikes, on to the nice stuff. The Civic handles very well especially during corners and it is a bonus that it looks mean and fierce on the roads. There is also ample leg space for backseat passengers although the middle hump could be a turn off for some. Rear air condition vents are a nice bonus as well for passengers seated at the back seats. Steering feels agile and very responsive. The boot space is also very large and generous. As a Civic fan since young, can't really find anything else to dislike about the car.

It is also important to note the following for 1.6NA model as they may be a deal breaker for some:

1) No electronic driver's seat
2) No LED, only Halogen headlights
3) Only has 2 airbags
4) No automated lane assist

Fierce and mean exterior
Large boot space
Responsiveness to steering
Superb handling
Excellent price point for a Japanese brand (although assembled in Thailand)
Fun to drive

Rubber band like CVT gear transmission
Random 'jerking' when letting go of accelerator
Not the best Fuel Economy (I am getting at best 12.5 km/l with very gentle driving)
No LED headlights
Pick up speed from stop is quite slow unless you rev the engine harder

HappyGuy
0 forum posts Joined on 19-Mar-2018
My review after driving close to one year  Posted on 19 Mar 2018
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I've driven the 1.6L Honda Civic 10 Gen for almost one year. The noise insulation is much better than the rest of the Japanese cars of the same category. My average fuel consumption is 8.9L/100km (Mostly highway driving). The acceleration is not very good therefore i have to be extra careful to ensure that more than sufficient distance for me to drive into another lane. Once the pick up is there, the car runs pretty well. The sport mode is extremely fun and engaging it would solve the slow acceleration issue. The eco button doesn't save much fuel. Engaging the eco mode significantly decreases car performance. Big boot space and comfortable passenger space. The only issue is the car cannot start properly everyday therefore i've have to use the jump starter cable to jump start the car every morning before i drive. Asked Kah Motor technician to come down to check but they also use jump starter and say its a common issue with this car. A bit of hassle before i drive every morning otherwise its a really good car.

Sporty exterior
Good fuel efficiency
Fun to drive
Good suspension
Big boot space
Comfortable space for passengers

Cannot start the car properly. System goes haywire and blinking all over before it dies so have to use jump starter cable to jump start the car, otherwise should be ok. Need to invest in a good jump starter.

EadricWui
20 forum posts Joined on 18-Oct-2017
Significant upgrade from FD3  Posted on 05 Mar 2018

Had been driving the 1.6NA for close to a month and clocking mileage of 1500km.

When deciding to get a car to replace my COE due FD, was looking at Altis, Qashqai, City and Civic. Decided to test drive both City and Civic and was completely sold to it.

1) Sporty design
2) comfort and great handling
3) good mileage :- had been achieving around 7.5l/100km consistently for the past 3 pumps.60% city 40% highway.
4) nice interior design which have the continental car feel
5) spacious cabin space
6) thoughtful design of all the sockets and USB ports.
7) keyless entry and engine start/stop

1) the head unit : limited apps for CarPlay. Unable to install any GPS navigation apps even though there is GPS antenna in the HU.
2) Plastic parts on some of the dashboard and side panels which easily scratch if you have long fingernails.
3) paintwork feels thin at the edges of the door.
4) Headlight is yellow halogen bulb while DRL is white. Looks a bit weird at night when you turn on the headlights.

Julio369
65 forum posts Joined on 31-Oct-2017
So Far So Good!  Posted on 26 Jan 2018

I have driven the 1.6 NA for 8000 KM. So far overall experience is good, except for some minor issues. The handling is good, I feel it is better than the previous 1.8 FD, especially cornering. Power steering is motorized, so the feedback is not as good as hydraulic.

Good for normal driving. The 1.6 NA takes a bit of effort to achieve fast accelerate (CVT?), but if push it hard enough (drink more petrol), should be able to merge expressway fast & overtaking cars with ease, or get the 1.5T.

Petrol consumption is average, about 12 KM/ litre, 50/50. One reviewer mentioned about CVT gearbox jerking during engine braking or pressing the gas after engine braking, which I have also encountered, but can live with it.

The signal light stick switching are a bit rough, need a little more force to switch left or right signal.

The OEM wiper blades not very smooth, jugger & squeak, even under heavy rain. Tried cleaning the blades & windscreen with glass cleaner, but won't last.

Windscreen quality like not very good, I have noticed a very fine line scratch, probably from sand/ particles rubbing between the wiper & windscreen. This I never encounter before from my previous cars ownership. Glass should be quite hard.

Exterior is sporty & futuristic, lower, longer, wider (but parking will be tighter).
Front & Rear looks great & fierce.

Interior design is clean & good looking, but some area are very plastic. I don't really like the matt surface of the plastic area & the steering wheel cover. Would prefer glossy surface, well...
Electronic hand brake lagging, still prefer mechanical type.

Paint works is lousy, the door's edge paint chip off easily, even a light knock will dent it and paint came off. Advise to stick door guard.

Overall is a good car to drive.

- Sporty Looks
- Crab Claw Rear lights
- Proven old but smooth engine
- Neat & Sleek interior design