Kia reveals first images of all new Niro

Kia releases official photos of 2021 Sportage

Kia launches the all new Niro EV in Singapore

The 3 Series and 7 Series: BMW's Guardians

Car Review - Kia Niro Hybrid 1.6 (A)
27 Feb 2017  |  Kia Reviews
Kia's very first hybrid offering - the Niro - offers up a tantalising combination of crossover practicality and utility with hybrid frugality and affordability.
   Consumer Reviews of Kia Niro Hybrid

4/5 Reliability
4/5 Interior Design
4/5 Engine Performance

Arkantos
97 forum posts Joined on 27-Jan-2006
The Affordable Crossover with Full Hybrid Tech from AD  Posted on 01 Mar 2021

I'm looking for a replacement car that sits higher and with hybrid tech due to my long-distance daily commute.
Initially was looking at Vezel hybrid but got put off due to being a PI unit. Warranty is going to be a big issue down the road.
The new Toyota Yaris Cross hybrid is too small for my family of 4 and with very basic accessories.
That's when i came across KIA NIRO. Did a test drive and place an order on the same day.
It offers everything that i look for and with an affordable pricing + 10yrs hybrid battery warranty

- It's a CAT A car after the model refresh on 2019/2020
- Full hybrid crossover with 10 years battery warranty for a piece of mind
- 5-years unlimited mileage warranty
- Saves fuel, A LOT.
- Was selling below 100k at the point of purchase
- The Korean designers spend lots of time to ensure the interior design stands out and it did, even better than some japs.
- Sits higher than a sedan/hatchback but still not SUV-ish
- Although I bought the lower-trim EX model, it still comes with many safety features that other brands would consider as premium add-ons
- Big rear passenger space for my family (Wheelbase is longer than KIA Sportage!)
- Very nice interior layout with 8" infotainment screen that connects to Android Auto + Apple Carplay.
- Not enough power? Switch to sport mode and you'll be surprised
- Nobody will associate this hybrid car with PHV compared to other hybrid models such as Prius/Ioniq/Vezel/Sienta/Freed Hybrid (i guess)

- The upper trim SX is another 18k premium
- No keyless entry/start
- No leather steering wheel (Still has leather seats though)
- Manual seat adjustment
- No auto fold mirror
- No roof rails
- 16" rim looks small (I guess that's ok for fuel efficiency)
- In return for rear passenger space, the boot space is compromised.
- In terms of safety feature, no blind-spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. (not complaining at this price point)
- Can feel the Korean hybrid tech is still not as smooth or as smart as Jap hybrid technology. Sometimes it's undecided whether to use battery pack or to start engine during pickup. Another case is at an incline slope. Car starts engine to provide extra power but gives a roar instead, and it switch off again.
- 6-speed DCT is a little jerky at low speed during gear change

melikecars
0 forum posts Joined on 14-Oct-2020
Best value for money Compact SUV  Posted on 23 Nov 2021

6 months driving the Niro EX and it's the best value for money CUV (compact utility vehicle) in it's class. I have a 2 year old and occasionally seat 4 pax. IMO hybrids are the way to go until Ah gong figures out how to price EVs properly and upgrade infrastructure. You can also easily drive across the causeway without range anxiety (SG to KL round trip in 1 tank!)

Don't throw your money away on petrol variants when they keep raising prices..!

What I like:
+ FC of 24-26km/l (I have squeezed 30km/l, it is possible). Full tank 950-1000km, drive at 70-80km/h
+ slightly raised but not too high, so it doesn't bounce too much like other SUVs
+ spacious interior and ample boot
+ super solid doors that open real wide to fit your car seats
+ at 103k it is crazy value for a reliable hybrid. 10 yr warranty, insane FC which pays for itself
+ fuss free experience with Kia sales folks

What I don't like:
- Seats can be a bit grabby
- no keyless entry, no start stop
- no electric seats (but do you really adjust your seat that much?)
- SX is a full 17k more (back then).. All for LED headlights, keyless entry, roof rails, ventilated seats, wireless charging.. What?!

gyp23
4 forum posts Joined on 17-Mar-2020
Most value for money hybrid SUV!  Posted on 26 Jul 2021

My wife and I were looking for a car and we had two main criteria: 1) I wanted a hybrid (possible better resale value in the future with the direction Singapore is going), and 2) wife wanted an SUV (preference in looks/easier to drive). The two criteria meant that our two main contenders came down to the kicks and the niro. What swung us towards the niro were:
1. Superior build quality (satisfying thump when you close the door VS the light plasticky feel of Nissan's doors)
2. Greater perceived reliability from many car reliability rankings (for Kia in general)
3. Larger rear space (important for the kids)
4. Rear AC (also for the kids)
5. More luxurious interior- looks much more refined as opposed to the kicks cheaper looking interior
6. Better FC
7. Proper rear view camera
8. Looks- we'd set eyes on the niro a year ago and really liked it

What we preferred for the Kicks:
1. The drive
2. More safety features

With all these factors in mind, we decided to go for the niro as we felt it had more going for it :)

I've also just done my first servicing with KIA- good and quick service, no complaints!

- good fuel consumption: average of 21-22km/l
- feature-rich: ventilated seats, ambient lights, soft touch materials all make this car feel more upscale than its class. Memory seats are also a joy to have.
- rear AC is a great feature in Singapore
- luxurious cabin- Korean cars have really upped their game in this area
- looks: sleek yet functional which is hard to do for an SUV/crossover

- lack of adaptive cruise control and autonomous emergency braking when so many cars on the market have it (including those from sister company Hyundai). Especially when you're paying at least 15k more from the base model- this aspect for me was pretty close to a deal breaker.
- gear change from first gear to second gear can drag sometimes.

Sooked
0 forum posts Joined on 02-Jan-2012
Kia Niro, the Value Hero  Posted on 16 Feb 2021

We were on the lookout for a family car with good fuel economy at around the $100k mark. Shortlisted the Kia Niro Hybrid, Renault Scenic Diesel, Nissan Kicks, and the Toyota Sienta Hybrid.

The Kicks then was probably the closest rival, and we almost put down a deposit (dealer was giving a free upgrade to the highest trim level). But once we found out about the Niro (particularly the cheaper EX trim), we were sold. For one, it was a conventional hybrid, with both engine and electric motor driving the wheels depending on situation. Maintainence wise, I would assume that it will be easier to find support if we choose to service our car outside, as the system is similar to those employed by the Toyota Prius and Hyundai Ioniq taxis we have in Singapore - vs the Nissan ePower hybrid system, which seems to be a Nissan-only hybrid system at the moment. In fact, the Niro uses the same engine, gearbox and hybrid system as the Ioniq, and seeing that it is being used as a major taxi model gave us reassurance. Also, it seems the conventional hybrid system is more efficient, with the Niro achieving more KM/litre vs the Kicks. Secondly, space wise, the Niro is bigger than the Kicks in every way. Passenger and driver comfort is better as a result of a wider body and longer wheelbase. Lastly, the interior quality just feels much more upmarket. You get factory fitted Android Auto, Apple Carplay, Reverse camera, Dual Zone AC, and rear centre armrest.

Overall, the Niro is a solid, high quality car with potential low running costs. At under $100k for the EX trim, it is also the cheapest in our shortlist, making it the value hero, and our pick of the lot.

- Most affordable hybrid offered by authorised dealers (with additional 2021 VES rebate, we got our EX model at under 100k)
- High OMV (for its selling price)
- Fresh facelift gives it modern looking exterior and interior design (EX trim without roof rails actually looks sleeker. Supposedly more aerodynamic too: overseas reviews actually show cheaper trim models have slightly better fuel economy)
- Excellent fuel economy (for the past 6k km covered, have comfortably returned 20-24km/litre; record 29km/litre doing cross island PIE)
- Runs mostly on EV mode only in HDB estates and traffic jams - doing your part for the environment, plus silent operation at low speeds is good for your neighbours. Say no to noise pollution.
- Solid car - door has good weight to it, every time you close it gives you shoik feels, unlike other Japanese cars, where closing the door feels like pushing aluminum foil
- Talking about aluminium, the bonnet and bootlid are made of lightweight aluminium. I know it might sound contradictory to the above point, but these parts are better lighter, since they are lifted vertically. In my opinion at least.
- Sports mode taps on instant torque response from electric motor to complement engine push; very good for overtaking or launching from standstill
- EX trim comes with adequate smart features like lane keep assist, guided line rear camera, Android Auto, Apple Carplay, Dual Zone auto AC

- EX trim loses out on basic features we took for granted e.g. no electronic folding mirrors, keyless entry, push start (still uses a conventional twist key to start), leather steering wheel... it doesn't even get a boot lid cover. In other words, the EX model is barebone. I'm surprised it still comes with leather seats. (Just kidding - don't remove it, CnC). I mean, even cheaper, sub-$90k models get them these days, and you would assume these are basic features. But you know, you gotta remind yourself: you got a high-tech hybrid for $90k plus - some things have to go, right? On the plus side though, lesser potential electronic failures, and if you really need them, you can actually get most of these "basic features" outside if you dig hard enough (Kia Niro Owners' Club on Facebook is a good start).
- Underpowered when going on steep inclines in default Eco mode (e.g. Mandai road to BKE); could be because Singapore's Niros are detuned to under 130 BHP to put it under Cat A COE. However, just shift to Sport Mode to give it the kick it requires

river88rat
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Nov-2020
Best value for money Hybrid SUV  Posted on 08 Dec 2020

I bought the new Niro EX facelifted 2020 model in Oct 2020. So far, the car has met and in some aspects, exceeded my expectations. Firstly, the fuel consumption is really good, i pump petrol in every 3 or 4 wks, at around 21-22L/km. The hybrid drivetrain is quite smooth and you do have an option of the DCT sports gear if you need.

The new 8.0" Entertainment screen is also android/apple pay enabled and looks very nice. The backrow seats are surprising spacious as it can fit my kid's car seat and 2 adults well. The boot is around adequate at 420L for family needs. The exterior of the car also looks quite stylish with the refreshed spoilers and look.

I've been driving this car for 3 to 4months and it is really positive so far. Great A to B for family and fuel efficient. My experience for the buying process at C&C as well as servicing is also good, no complaints.

+ Good Fuel Consumption at 21-22L/km
+ Spacious Back seats

- Slow transition from 1st gear to 2nd gear
- No ventilated seats for EX model
- No blind spot detection for EX model
- Regenerative braking sounds (a little)

SOULSTER1989
0 forum posts Joined on 23-Jun-2012
Feature Rich and Performs Beyond Expectations  Posted on 07 Oct 2017

Having bought the vehicle in Jul 17, this car has simply outperformed my expectations. Had looked around for a sporty and economical SUV/MPV, and was choosing between the Citroen C4 Picasso and the Niro. What made me swing towards the Niro is its cheaper and has more features that many other models at the same price point does not offer.

And the sweetener when driving this car is the FC! Sure i can achieve 26km/l and more if drive most of the time on 60km/h, but real world driving comes to abt 20-23km/l depending on your foot. In ECO-mode, the take off is slightly sluggish, but when it cruises, its a very comfortable drive, easy to overtake if you need that bit more push. In Sports-mode, its really rev ready, has alot of torque to really propel you forward from the get go.

Overall, i am very satisfied owner of this vehicle, having driven it for 3 months and its still surprising me with its performance.

+ FC at 20-23 km/l
+ Ventilated Seats
+ Relatively quiet cabin, well insulated
+ Driver memory Seats (2 settings)
+ Blind Spot detection
+ Reverse Camera
+ Multi-zone Aircon
+ Rear Aircon
+ Sunroof

- Windscreen abit smaller than usual Cars
- 5" Infotainment screen, as compared to overseas models
- No Apple/Android Connectivity
- Boot not flushed to the edge
- 16" Stock Rims

toyotapower
0 forum posts Joined on 25-May-2015
Feature rich, good looking hybrid  Posted on 26 Apr 2017

One of the better looking hybrids out on the market now, the Niro packs a ton of features into a relatively affordable package imo.

As expected from a hybrid, fuel economy is amazing and it should be cheap to run long term. You get better figures in eco mode but that's pretty dull tbh. In sport mode, this thing really punches above its weight but it gets pretty loud.

This car also comes with quite a number of features, my favourite being ventilated seats. I hate getting a sweaty butt while driving.

Feature rich
Punchy engine
Amazing fuel economy
Doesn't look like any other hybrid

Eco mode doesn't move the car much

nirofan
18 forum posts Joined on 09-Apr-2017
Best looking hybrid Crossover  Posted on 09 Apr 2017

Hi,

The Niro, I think is an excellent car in Singapore's driving conditions. Test drove an enjoyed it. Obviously, Cycle and Carriage has considered the cost and brought in a car with a lot of good stuff. But, the most disappointing item as a lot of you has mentioned is the 5 inch head unit which does not come with navigation. I think no other car in Singapore comes with 5 inch TFT screen. I supposed one of the reason for the small screen, is it does not intent to bring the Niro in with GPS and navigation.

But, one of the key features of the NIro which allows it to save fuel, is Predictive Energy control.

"Predictive Energy Control uses the navigation and cruise-control systems “To anticipate topographical changes on the road ahead and actively manage energy flow,” As well as determine when conditions are optimal to recharge the battery and when it’S better to apply stored energy toward the wheels."

I know Singapore has not much terrain but without navigation, the Niro is lacking a key feature of the car. And of course the disappointing 5 inch screen.

In the UK, US and Europe, the minimum screen size is 7 inches and even in the basic car it has navigation to allow the Predictive Energy Control feature to be utilised.

Just my thought and feedback for Cycle and Carriage. Anyway, I have ordered a Niro.

Thanks, Cheers

Everything

5 inch head unit without navigation

Ian1
148 forum posts Joined on 23-Apr-2013
Deceitful Marketing, Devious Pricing  Posted on 09 Apr 2017

Test drove the Niro at the local agent.

Was considering this as a second car to run household errands. MY main car being for work in town and meeting business associates. As I work in investment banking where image is relatively important, thus need to keep my beemer 7-series.

When I was ready to sign on the line for the Niro, the local agent sprung a surprise. They told me I had to pay a surcharge of $10,000 above the list price.

Instead of the advertised $116,999, they wanted me to pay $126,999. While most local dealers in Spore knock off anywhere between $3,000 (small Japanese cars) to $40,000 (German and Luxury cars) from their list price, Kia slaps a surcharge.

I was told that in order to pay list / advertise price, I must surrender my existing car to them, as well as, forced to take maximum loan over maximum period.

I got upset with their terms and walked off.

1. Car able to stay on EV mode for a reasonable amount of time.

2. Sunroof and heated seats and steering

3. Nice speedometer and dials

1. Useless boot space, not meaningful enought to put in anything substantial

2. Awful local agent and deceptive pricing

3. Slow pickup

4. Low top speed of about only 160km/hr

5. Poor soundproofing and road noise comes into the cabin

6. Ridiculously small centre Screen / Monitor

7. Poor build quality as I could already hear rattling sound from within the cabin from cheap plastic and poor assembly on the brand new test drive car.

8. At this price range $126,999 for Kia Niro, the Toyota Prius, Honda Vezel Hybrid is a much better car costing $20,000 less.

Mervynwm
65 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
An Astorishing Hybrid.  Posted on 21 Feb 2017

Tested this hybrid after saw it from recent Motor Show, the 1st looks, I must say is captivating against fellow Asian SUV or CrossOver hybrid group like C-HR and Vezel.

The styling and exterior design is certainly a looker should you drive on the streets, it should keep many surprised that its a Korean make than the conventional mindset of a continental make.

Interior is a feature packed car of a typical Korean, giving almost to everything a driver can think of like heated seats, auto headlights and rain sensors, and many more...

On the drive, I was surprised that the engine start is almost to no noise compared to other hybrids I tried, absolutely not even slightest vibration too until the sales told me its started.

The drive off is almost immediate for this hybrid, no jerking at all. The usual D drive is smooth and gear changes are soundless too.

Cornering and turning radius for this chap is almost to perfection, perhaps learning from the conti makers.

When switch to manual +/-, you can feel this car literately sprang to life, giving you the absolute control over the gearbox and throttle, instantly lowering and engaging the gears are of no issue as its almost instantaneously acknowledged and given, thus making you to hope it can be the actual 6-speed manual gearbox.

In summary, this hybrid is a good to get for its 3 main reasons :

- Good Engine performance with dual clutch gearbox
- Good drive with nice exterior styling and interior features given
- Good drive and handling

- LED Projection lights
- Wireless Charger
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
- Dual Clutch Gearbox
- Most quiet engine start among Hybrids
- Rear aircon included
- Min cosmetics included like scuff plates
- Reverse camera well hidden under rear wiper
- Tyre Pressure Monitor included
- Electric memory seats for driver
- When reverse, the box moves with steering, known as IPAS
- Able to on/off parking sensors and BSD (frankly I won't off them)
- Nicely featured driver dash info which is not cluttered or too much info

- No panaromic sunroof as option
- No option to change to a better player as standard model is too small
- No electric brake
- No electric tailgate option
- No boot protector given
- No front sensing option
- No passenger electric memory seats as standard

vwlover
1 forum posts Joined on 25-May-2011
Best looking hybrid crossover  Posted on 16 Feb 2017

I test drove the Kia Niro and I love the sleek design. Who says all hybrids have to look boxy and downright ugly?

Fuel economy on the Niro is amazing, but that's to be expected from a hybrid. However, in eco mode it really doesn't move much. But put it in sport mode and you'll feel all 139bhp. The engine does get quite loud under hard acceleration though.

The instrument cluster display also shows some pretty interesting stuff like a driving style meter, which shows your economical/normal/aggressive driving percentages.

Fuel economy