A fresher look in the Subaru XV GT Edition

Skoda Karoq takes on Honda and Subaru

Breaking down different types of crossovers

We reveal the all new Renault Captur live

Car Review - Subaru XV 2.0i-S EyeSight GT Edition (A)
27 Mar 2020  |  Subaru Reviews
For just a little bit more money, the Subaru XV GT Edition gives you more equipment in a car that's already well suited to daily life. What's not to like?
vs

Ingenius
Turbocharged
3458 forum posts Joined on 19-Sep-2009
This car can buy but has a few flaws  Posted on 01 Dec 2020

I have owned the current model for coming to 3 years and clocked 60k km. I still like it and never regret buying it. It is a safe, comfortable crossover and is good enough for the money. This car is safe, spacious, well equipped and practical.
There are 2 major flaws with this car, read below.

1 Spacious
2 reasonably well equipped
3 good visibility
4 easy to drive
5 safe
6 good balance of drivability and comfort

1. The rear suspension is weirdly very uncomfortable despite being a independent wishbone
2. Fuel consumption is only acceptable, not good.

lcateo
0 forum posts Joined on 07-Jan-2019
Go anywhere in comfort and safety  Posted on 20 Nov 2020

My 3rd Subaru after 15 years of turbocharged subies. Sometimes lack the power i am used to when I need it which is not often. Most times adequate and is quick off the line. Best thing is I can rev the engine as hard as I want without fearing money draining away. And if you know the tricks of driving a subie, you are never lacking power delivery most times, which is fine by me. And by the way, this is a very safe, smooth and comfortable car.

Variodical
56 forum posts Joined on 16-Feb-2007
Never forget its lifted Impreza roots  Posted on 08 Sep 2020

Arresting, butch flared fenders and aggressive SUV-size tyres give the XV great road presence. Alas, this at its core a lifted/CVT Impreza 2.0 hatchback, and this concept robs it of many practicalities expected of SUVs.

Main selling points are value-for-money price, standard Active Safety (EyeSight), looks, 2.0 capacity and AWD.
It's not unique though. Bear in mind Honda Sensing and Toyota Safety Sense standard on some PI Vezel & C-HRs.

Static -
Positive: 1. Ample legroom front and rear, nice extra width over smaller cars 2. Interior materials and build is decently impressive, intuitive infotainment and modern/robust materials. A real improvement for Subaru.

Negative: 1. Entry is awkward compared to normal car or SUV. High car floor and low roof (Impreza low roof) means you lift your leg + bend down at the same time. You only do one of either for a car or SUV. 2. Short rear seatback

3. Impreza hatch tailgate opening is high - higher XV makes access even harder. You will struggle to load heavy luggage without scratching the bumper.
4. Boot is only 380 litres vs 338 litres of smaller HRV
5. No spare tyre

Driving:
1. Initially smooth CVT, seamless. But jerky at low speeds/manouevring
2. Decent torque off the line, but expected for 2.0NA.
3. Revving to 3k
4. Less body roll when u-turning than expected. More confidence-inspiring
5. Despite double wishbone rear, suspension is jarringly stiff. High ride height and big profile, but ride is as hard in the rear as the low Mazda3 Elegance on low profile 45-section 18 inch tyres.

1. Subaru Global Platform means mature ride and handling manners (but the ride-handling balance is compromised). NVH is decent and may be better than smaller rivals based on subcompact cars.
2. Wider than HRV/Kicks/CH-R/Venue/Seltos/CX-3/Arona
3. AWD may be good for traction upon powering out in corners.
Strong off-road ability (really a niche feature in SG..)
4. Spacious, stylish and well-appointed interior

1. Power to weight ratio and 2.0NA to performance ratio (2x road tax of 1.5 Vezel, performance only slightly better due to AWD weight). Subaru is lagging behind in powertrain technology in light of swift Kicks E-Power, Vezel Hybrid, 1.0T Stonic/ Seat Arona & 1.6T Seltos.
2. Weight penalty over Impreza 2.0 hatch with no practicality advantages
3. High ride height --> high sill --> poor access
4. Small boot for the size of the car
5. Low pricing of XV may need to approach with caution. During CB, headline price was for high number of NG bids but with low COE rebate level, and therefore uncertain prospect of securing COE. Go in with eyes open and a realistic COE rebate level.
6. FC is high compared to rivals.
7. Impreza 2.0 is far better to drive with greater ride comfort and handling prowess. Smaller tyres means lower rotational mass.
8. Tyre size same as Forester XT (235/55/18). Good luck to your wallet.

Munhua
233 forum posts Joined on 28-Jun-2011
Value for money with so many safety features  Posted on 06 Apr 2020

What more can you expect with so many safety features, all wheel drive and boxer engine for a Low price of 82k for the gt edition?Even Conti cars have no such features and ex too!

Eyesight Safety features:
Blind spot monitoring
360 reverse camera
Adaptive cruise control (Compulsory for me!)
Etc.

Technology:
All wheel drive
Boxer engine (used in Porsche too)

No tailgate
No keyless access
Slow cvt gearbox (If use adaptive cruise control can ignore)
High fuel consumption
No eboxer version (would improve acceleration and improve fc)
No sports mode

JoelK
0 forum posts Joined on 19-Nov-2019
Safe and Comfortable Ride  Posted on 19 Nov 2019

Drove my new XV for about a month now and is very satisfied. The ride is very stable and comfortable. My colleague who owns a 2017 Forrester felt the difference on the new improved design. It is also one of safest car around with the new Global Platform and eyesight. That explains the lower insurance premium.
If you are looking for a safe and comfortable ride and does not want to burn a hole in the pocket, this is it.
You may also want to try the new Forrester with the same engine but bigger.

Symmetrical AWD
Eyesight
Classy interior with the red trimming

No rear air-con vents

Bavette
0 forum posts Joined on 12-Nov-2019
Worse car ever  Posted on 12 Nov 2019

Been driving various brands of car for the past 25 years and have never come across one as bad as the Subaru XV (2017) version.
Since day 1 when I collected the car, I've experience bad reception on the headset and have to send back to workshop a few times to repair and eventually gave up and till date the problem is still there (bad reception). And most recently, the right hand side of the wing mirror started failing and this happened immediately after the 60k warranty. Called motor image and the reply was "Warranty over" And they offered a 20% Discount for the replacement of the part. I can accept if the wing mirror break down say around 100k, but not immediately after the 60k. This is not what I expected of Subaru brand.

1) The poor pickup and slow response.
2) Lack of power.
3) Inferior quality. Both interior and exterior.
4) Poor after sales service.

Lmy102
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Subaru XV 1200 km Review (2018 August model)  Posted on 23 Feb 2019

I want to come back and say more about this SUV after 12,000 km. Got used to no turbo for almost seven months of driving this car. The engine run in after 1000 km and the the petrol consumption started to see about between 10 - 12 km/ltr. Done the 10k service. The car is now very smooth. Drive it gently to save on FC.
To people who are looking at this car, I would say, compare with the market, this is a good buy with a lot of safety features such as Eye-sight, ACC, etc. But, if you can wait, maybe for the upgraded models such as Hybrid or future Turbo models.
If you must buy it now, still a good deal when the COE is low.

1. Lower fuel consumption compared to my previous 2014 Forester XT.
2. Many very basic features which will probably save money from maintenance in time to come.
3. The ride is comfortable and negotiates corners just like a saloon car or better.
4. Compare to what is offered in the market this time of the year, February 2019. This is a good bargain buy.
5. Got used to the CVT transmission system and now drive at a moderate speed.
6. Not a fast car compare to many on the road but still very fast if you get used to it.

1. The Panasonic system has no Apple Car Play and the speakers. I got rid of them and install my head set with Apple Car play and new Pioneer speakers.
2. Very noisy at first and I did sound proofing on the doors. Now it is very silent. Of course you pay some money to get your ideal ride.
3. Paintwork was quite dull so I did Ceramic coating and washing is so easy and never have to worry about bird poo again. The gloss is always there with ceramic.
4. No other dislikes until the maybe 30k review.

Cent50
61 forum posts Joined on 15-Oct-2005
Quite Good  Posted on 09 Jan 2019

Driving my XV 2.0i-S for 2 months now. So far it has been a comfortable car with awesome AWD and Eyesight capabilities. I use the adaptive cruise control pretty often and really impressed with how Eyesight works.

Previously drove IS250, Rav4 and Tiguan, hence, the FC is pretty acceptable.. Getting 11-12km/l for 60:40 urban:highway conditions. It's not the perfect car, but for its price, it is quite value for money.

1. Eyesight system, works like a charm with solar film (though the distributor has advised against).
2. Daytime LED running lights. Looks great (but cannot be turned off).
3. Symmetrical AWD. Handling is superb even when the car is high.
4. Quiet drive even at 90km/h.
5. Comfortable leather seats. Made in Japan.
6. Paddle shifters makes it easier to overtake.
7. Acceptable FC given my daily commute is mostly urban. Cannot compare to other makes which are lower in engine cap/FWD. Many avoid Subarus because of its notoriety being fuel guzzlers. I find the XV not too bad.
8. Sufficient space for rear passengers. Easy to climb in/out.

1. Cheap Panasonic unit. GPS slow to load. No Apple carplay / Android auto.
2. Inferior and under performing speakers.
3. CVT needs time to get accustomed with. Rev up more to prevent jerking as low speed gears.
4. Several features on Impreza/other countries' XV not on local XV, e.g. lane keep assist, Auto dimming rear view Mirror, blind spot detection, reverse automatic braking, sunroof, electronic seats.
5. Boot space is small.

Gibbon28
0 forum posts Joined on 16-Nov-2010
Not a Bad Car  Posted on 06 Sep 2018

After driving the car for 3 months, it is a comfortable car but keep in mind that the car is not fast. I used to drive Conti car, so I find the overall interior built quality for the XV are not that great. MI should bring in the highest spec car like the sunroof and blind spot monitoring etc. MI should not compromise on safety features.

Eyesight

No rear air con vent
No rear USB for charging
No auto tailgate
Super low end head unit with no bass speaker.

Lmy102
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Average Performing Car high Petrol Consumption  Posted on 01 Sep 2018

Got my XV in August 2018, 3 days after registration. I like the car, but I may not recommend it to a friend. The Forester 2.0i could have been a better buy on hindsight. This is only my first month owning the car, so I will review it after 10,000km. I could have gone for the 2017 Forester 2.0i-s, it's much better equipped. A bit regret buying the XV too fast. So think again before you take the plunge. I got mine because COE was low, so don't let the low COE affect our decision.

1. It has the familiar engine roar like my Subaru 2.0XT, 2014 (which I sold earlier this year). But not the pick up as the torque is only 198 Nm and 153 Bhp.
2. External design of the XV 2018 is good looking but the Motor Image version lack the sun roof.
3. Interior improvement is good and leather seats is impressive but very soft.
4. It's a small SUV so feel light at the steering.
5. I think Insurance is cheaper because of Eye-sight system.

1. Start up of the Head Unit system very slow and had to wait several minutues before the Navigation system gets ready.
2. No Apple Car play. Speaker system is inferior, so I had to upgrade it locally.
3. Road noise very high, especially coming from the tires. I had to do after sales sound proofing otherwise quite unbearable.
4. The Motor Image version lack the Sun Roof, feel a bit cheated. Future buyer should consider this.
5. The auto start-stop system is annoying so switch it off most of the time.
6. The Eye-sight system is not fantastic in spite of all the advertisement. Takes a longer time to be familiar with it, best suited to use when cruising on highways.
7. The body panel is soft and easily get dented when hit by other car doors.
8. Petrol consumption is no less than the 2.0XT, which I own earlier.
9. I will come back after 10,000 km usage. Let's see if there is anymore disappointment.

Ingenius
Turbocharged
3458 forum posts Joined on 19-Sep-2009
A surprisingly good car  Posted on 20 Jun 2018

Have owned and driven the 2.0 with Eyesight for 5k km so far. Was considering Hyundai Tucson, Kia Niro, Kia Sportage and the XV. Initially it was the design that won me over, but after a test drive, it was the comfort that set it apart from the rest.

Superb cruiser
Very quiet
Double wishbone makes the rear much more comfortable than competitors in its class
Very good quality leather
4WD gives good cornering
Very good visibility
5 start encap with loads of active and passive safety feature
Quite spacious interior
Very good build quality and soft touch material and chrome
Strong aircon
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

CVT seriously needs getting used to.
If car is higher will be even better.
No rear aircon vent
Has a rear hump due to 4WD.

kohderek
5 forum posts Joined on 15-Apr-2018
I LOVE THIS CAR!  Posted on 07 May 2018

I have to admit that I'm attracted to the good looks of the new Subaru XV and this is one major deciding factor why I went ahead and purchase this car.

Having driven a WRX before this, I have total confidence in Subaru cars.

The price point is just right too

1. EyeSight system and it works (proven when I had to do a hard braking once)

2. Sufficient engine power (how fast can you drive in stop-start traffic in Singapore?)

3. Interior quality is good

4. Handling is good, the suspension is well-sorted and noise insulation is good

5. LED headlights

1. From all those car review videos that I have seen on YouTube, I'm surprised that a couple of features are missing from our local version. Blindspot monitoring, Apple CarPlay just to name a few

2. Fuel consumption is a little on the higher. But it's a 2.0 liters engine and AWD

3. I really hate the start-stop idle engine feature

4. Boot space is a little on the smaller side

6GHz
37 forum posts Joined on 09-Aug-2009
If I could turn back time, I’d still get the XV  Posted on 30 Mar 2018

This is my second review of the XV as I think it deserves it.

The XV ownership, in sumamry, has been pretty flawsome. The overall package has so far been pretty good at this price point (or mechanically premium, like some said). It has its flaws but are acceptable if you can look past them. For me, if I could turn back time, I’d still get the XV (and that says a lot).

1. Great Handling. I’ve driven Koreans, Japanese and a couple of European marques, and personally - at this price point - the XV handles like a dream. The suspension is well sorted and the drivetrain gives a reassuring drive under any weather. I have yet to experience its AWD capability but on several occasions of driving in mega-storms that hit Singapore have proven the drivetrain’s tractability and stability during these freakish weather.

2. Good suppression of NVH. The XV provides a well cushioned ride and soaks up bumps surprisingly well. Stretches of rough tarmac along certain expressways still induce road noise but it is not jarring and doesn’t grate on your nerves. Overall cabin comfort has been very commendable indeed.

3. Acceptable Mileage. People shun boxer engines - or Subarus for that matter - due to its perceived thirst. My take is do your research and commit with your eyes open. If majority of your journeys consist of short start-stop drives, then the XV would not yield good mileage. So far my XV returns an average of 12.5km/L with a 70:30 highway/urban ratio. As a comparison, my previous rides, the ubiquitous Vezel, returned an average of 15.8km/L; my Hyundai i30 was 13km/L; and my good o’ Hyundai Matrix (a manual), was 12.4km/L - all under the same driving pattern. Comparatively thirstier? Definitely. But considering this is a 2-litre block paired with an all-wheel drivetrain, I would say the XV’s petrol consumption is really acceptable. Your mileage may vary, of course, if you try to beat every car at the lights. But I keep engine between 1.5k to 2.5k rpm and it has been sweet.

4. Great Online Support. The relatively new Eyesight system may easily be misunderstood as some image/video capturing/recording devices like an in-car camera, which my workplace disallows. Correspondences with a MotorImage representative has been prompt, spontaneous and reassuring, and I was offered a cover for the Eyesight system. Though it may just be an origami of sorts, I find this is a very nice gesture from MotorImage. Kudos to that.

1. Lack of Rear Aircon Vents. My first review of this car already stated the lack of rear-aircon vents as the main beef. It still is. But I soon found the aircon blower in the XV is powerful, and strong enough to keep my rear passengers quite happy instead of fanning themselves silly. However for Subaru, do seriously consider this feature in your 3rd generation XVs and not just equipped for the largish model like the Outbacks.

2. Low-rent Headunit/Poor Sound System. The headunit came with an almost monochrome display and limited customization for sound quality and hence, pretty poor sound reproduction - and this comes from someone who is not an audiophile. While this is not a major issue and can be resolved with some aftermarket retrofits, at least MotorImage can offer a better quality headunit for their new cars.

3. Horn is a Safety Hazard. I couldn’t believe my ears when I tap on the horn. It made the most comical Roadrunner beep which is more embarrassing than a proper horn deserves to be. On local roads we’d need something loud and robust. Again, this is not a big issue with an aftermarket Stebel or Fiamm but Subaru can definitely do better with their selection of horns during assembly.

I will hold my comments for now on the standard of the servicing center as I had only gone through my first appointment. However my first take would be for the staff to be more pro-active and customer-oriented.

GiveWay
0 forum posts Joined on 19-Mar-2018
Better than expected  Posted on 20 Mar 2018

Have been driving my new XV 2.0 EyeSight for 1 month now. Overall it has been better than expected. Not sure why there are serious negative comments about this car but so far so good for me and I consider myself quite a fuzzy driver.

1. Handling is excellent. Almost no body-roll when making u-turn and cornering is quite firm and steady even at 60-70 km/h. Steering is smooth and linearly responsive, and makes parking in tight spot very controllable.

2. For a true blue AWD SUV, driver and passenger comfort is very good. Not as refined as a Lexus or Toyota high-end model but a match to any mid-range saloon car, and more than a match when it comes to stability. Noise insulation is commendable and is quiet even at 90 km/h on a smooth surface road. Tyre noise is present on rough-surface roads but this is inevitable given the factory-fitted SUV off-road tyres.

3. Interior space is practical and proportionate. Driver compartment is ergonomically designed and front passenger has spacious leg-room. Rear passengers (adult) can comfortably sit 3 and have ample leg-room as well. Boot compartment is of normal size and being an SUV, ergonomically accessible. Overall nothing is over-generous or under-sized.

4. The EyeSight driver-assist system requires some learning effort but definitely acts as a useful electronic co-driver and also cultivates a safer driver in me.

5. For a car of this price range, interior and exterior features are plentiful and technologically up-to-date.

6. Made in Japan and all the attention to details are a pleasure to enjoy, especially from a practical point of view.

7. I am not interested in exterior styling and has bought this car based solely on its utilitarian value. But so far it has attracted only positive comments about its external appearance and unique look.

1. The 6-speaker sound system feels weak and is integrated into entertainment/communication unit, making it seems invisible. I think my 2-speaker CD player/radio at home sounds better.

2. Engine is smooth at medium to high speed but lag is palpable at low speed, probably due to the CVT engine and weight of the car. On the whole, engine performance is still fine and definitely adequate.

3. No blind-spot detection system and I consider that significant.

4. Rear air-con outlets would have been great but is not essential as the front aircon is powerful enough.

5. Fuel consumption is very average but it is a 2.0 litre AWD SUV. I reckon it does about 10km/L, on a combination of city-driving and expressway driving.

6. The auto start-stop is quite jerky when re-starting so I simply switch it off every time after starting. Not a major issue actually.

ahbeng5220
28 forum posts Joined on 02-Aug-2017
Most lemon after sales service for 100k$ item  Posted on 06 Feb 2018

Received my new Subaru 1.6 XV in Sep 2017. This is a new global platform. However, after sales service = nightmare!

1) Spacious Seat
2) Good cornering
3) Interior and Exterior outlook
4) Good aircond

After sales services:
1. Windscreen wiper juddering/dancing, drive in to Subaru complain it, they change the rubber:
Rubber Single 650 mm $9.00 86579FL000 (Qty: 1)
Rubber Single $9.00 86579FL050 (Qty: 1)

*Within 1 week, wiper juddering/dancing again.
Hello Subaru Singapore, can tell me got better wiper or not since i not trust $9 wiper will solve the problem.

And to claim the wiper warranty, i have to put car there to let you test it for 3 hours, my transport fees already more than $18.

If you not willing to pay for it, tell me how much it cost, i can pay myself, just please tell me the part number, ok? I go to buy myself, and i change myself.
If you don't have, please let me have the Subaru Japan contact to ask.

2. GB juddering:
When 1k to 1.3k rpm or slow down from 1.3k to 1k rpm, the whole car will juddering/dancing.
When you meet traffic jam, good luck, your car will dancing with you, shake shake your body, consider good massage service come with the car.

So any solution for it?
What the relearning doing actually?
It doesn't solve the problem at all.
Not 1, not 2, not 3, many XV owners complain about it. 17' Impreza also same issue, still not solve after so long time?

3. Revise camera.
Blur when raining day.
Go in to claim warranty, Service advisor said no leaking.
Ok, fine.
And SE continue to feedback many other users have same problem, but no leaking we not change.

Then how? I change revise camera outside is it?
My problem when raining day is it where i shall not drive Subaru car when raining day?
I shall ship the car back to Subaru Japan to claim the warranty?

Summary:
This car cost around 100k$.
Lesson learned, you can't do anything to claim warranty, they will make you wait and change new same problem parts again and again.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »