Related Articles

MCF checks out SEAT's award-winning range

Seat Arona and Ibiza get digital cockpits

Seat revolutionises the way you pack for a holiday

What can cause a car accident

Car Review - Seat Arona 1.0 EcoTSI DSG FR (A)
02 Apr 2018  |  SEAT Reviews
The Seat Arona offers stylish looks, a lively drive and a sporty interior all for just under $100,000. What's not to like?
vs
Comparison Tests:
Seat Arona 1.0 vs Kia Stonic 1.0T
   Consumer Reviews of SEAT Arona

5/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
7 out of 7 (100%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

skie1978
0 forum posts Joined on 09-Jan-2021
Driving is so much fun with Arona  Posted on 09 Jan 2021

Driving Arona is such a smooth experience. Cornering and handling is easy. Highly recommended. The performance of the car is up to my expectation.

Go to the showroom and talk to their sales consultant. You won't be disappointed ☺️

Exterior of the car is beautiful and sleek. Handling is easy and very smooth. Steering is light and good torque even for a small engine.

The side mirrors are rather small. I would prefer a bigger mirror for SUV for safer drive.

SGCMKermit
0 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Bang for bucks  Posted on 03 Jan 2020

Took a test drive in late Dec on Arona FR and my first reaction was "Just take my money already!" Prior to this, i was skeptical about the 1L turbo engine but boy was I wrong?! I felt no lag at all when i took off from the stop and the handling was really good. No complaints about the features too. Where else can you get a car at 90k (the style model) with auto parking? The FR was going for 116k when i test drove it but it's gone down to 100k now. I would definitely recommend going for the FR. The interior is decidedly more classy. Of cos, for 10k more, it should be. I also want to commend the level of service at the dealership. I made it clear I wasn't going to buy from the start but they were still as enthusiastic as ever. If my wife hadn't vetoed my decision, i would be a proud new owner of an Arona now. :)

Seriously jam-packed with features. Unbeatable value for a *cough* VW *cough* SEAT.
Great handling and i'm sure it's perfect for city driving.
More than adequate power and i actually found it quite spirited (even when it's not in sports mode). :)
1L engine means road tax of only 300+ (i'm paying 700+ now for my 1.6L)
Turbo charger means really good fuel economy.

It's a shame the FR was going for 116k previously when i miraculously managed to get my wife to the showroom. I doubt i can repeat the same feat twice.
The Style model didn't come with center arm rest. You need to pay about 400-600 for it. Not a big deal but some people do find the arm rest useful.
The FR model does come with the arm rest.

blackouts
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Nov-2018
One bloody impressive car!  Posted on 15 Dec 2018

Took this Arona FR model for a test drive. For driving performance, gas pedal was really responsive and i totally underestimated the 1 litre turbocharged engine! I tried hard acceleration (pedal literally down to the floor) when traffic light turns green and i can feel my body pushed further back to the seat as the turbo kicks in and effortlessly reached 80km/h. Didn't pick up any wind noise at 80km/h. One thing that is disturbing is the engine will have a small vibration for about half second as it accelerates and will noticeably stop when the turbo kicks in even when i move off gently. Guess it's the nature of this 3-cylinder turbo engines. Went around a roundabout and some sharp quick lane change and it proves to be very nimble, agile and doesn't feel 'floaty' on corners at all. Went over a few bumps and it handles well too. Not awesome but just good enough

Interior wise, it's just meh. But I'm surprised that there weren't any handle bars on top of the window. Given how this thing drives on the road, i feel handle bars are mandatory apart from seat belts. Another surprising thing is that there's no top light where the rear passenger is. I have a young kiddo who loves to throw things in the floor and will be a pain if we have to use a flashlight from our phone and search it especially night time (a big turn off for me). Infotainment system is dead awesome. Has both apple carplay and android auto. Park assist is awesome too though as drivers, parking on our own will definitely be faster. Boot space is not really that great. Probably can fit 4 bags for travelling. Probably just enough to fill in stuff for a family of 4.

For exterior, side mirrors are too small. Yeah yeah, there's blind spot monitoring to compensate for it but i still don't get it why thecside mirros have to be small and pointy and the far edge. Overall aesthetics is actually not bad. Love the look at the front and back. Doesn't look too rugged and sporty or luxurious.

- the drive. Such power, it's disgustingly exhilarating and addictive.
- road tax. Paying less than $500 for a car than drives better than a 1.8L? It's a no brainer!
- infotainment system.
- the price. A worthy contender to all compact SUVs.
- passenger and driver seats are ergonomically good! Supports your whole hamstrings to the back of your knee. Means good for long distance traveling.
- spacious. I'm surprised too! Huge leg room and head room!
- good visbility to check blindspot effectively.
- fatigue recognition.
- front and back assist.
- cruise control as standard
- keyless for entry and ignition
- part of the VW group.

- no handle bars
- no top light at rear passenger seat
- boot more on the smaller side
- small side mirror
- hump in the passenger row
- FR model comes in fabric seats as standard and does not have a pocket at the back of the seats.
- no 24hr roadside assistance (major turn off)
- 3+2 years warranty when others are offering at least 5+3 years and pretty much the standard. (another major turn off)

donnyh
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Nov-2018
Stylish and Fun Car  Posted on 05 Dec 2018

I bought the FR version, Red with and Black top in Nov. So far so good, but still skeptical about the spare parts availability. The car is still new, and hope there is no need to find out too much though.

Exterior:
Stylish exterior overall. Fierce headlights, sharp side mirrors.

Interior:
Dashboard has leather trim, flat end steering, very comfortable front seats, overall design is very stylish, boot size is quite remarkable.

Features:
Infotainment system and dashboard is like the Volkswagen Golf, there are so many features in it I have not been able to figure out all even after 3 weeks. Adaptive cruise control, pedal shifter, auto-park feature, blind sport warning, CBTA... just name it, it has everything I can think of.

Driving:
Very acceptable road noise, very good acceleration for a 1.0 engine, gear changes are very smooth (but do not let it roll in D too much or the clutch may wear out sooner than expected, its a DSG), all controls are very intuitive, great height of an SUV, suspension is good for comfort, headlights are bright.

Exterior:
The door handles are a bit too protruding, easy to hit something when opening and closing doors. 17" Rims not too bad, but other countries offer 18" rims that look more sporty.

Interior:
Rear view mirror slightly too small, not too big space for rear seats, may be squeezy if 3 adults seated, no rear interior light, no handles on top for passengers to hold on to.

Features:
With the features thrown in for this price, there is really nothing to complain. One thing may be that the keyless entry can only be activated at the driver door, so may be a bit of hassle at times.

Driving:
Nothing much, just got shocked twice, once by the alarm when the CBTA kicked in when I was already aware of the car in front, and once by the alarm of the proximity sensor when a lane splitting motorcycle came too close in a jam.

Ericwur
9 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
A red dot design award winner  Posted on 27 Nov 2018

SEAT come with good gadget, design and decent pick up speed. , the car is really easy to drive, decent noise insulation,decent space for rear passenger! Boot size is good compare to other crossover. A car with 5 star NCAP rating, 7 air bags , self parking technology with this price tag is hard to find . I am clocking 17.2l with my first tanks. I presume it will get better after my first servicing .

SEAT Full Link (Mirror Link, Android Auto & Apple Car play)
8" Colour Touch Screen
Front Assist (City Emergency Braking + Pedestrian Protection)
Park Assist (where to find at this price point)
Blind Spot Detection
Good driver view
SE helpful and good services
ACC(adaptive cruise control)

What I dislike:3 year warranty only
Start stop seem laggish
no interior support handle
no sunglasses compartment
boring looking rims
seat adjusting using knob
red colour must top up $

Benji7
14 forum posts Joined on 30-Nov-2006
Most gadgety & affordable compact SUV  Posted on 22 Oct 2018

Testdrove the car twice over the weekend with my whole family & the sales guy (3 adults and 2 kids). Really enjoyed the ride. Engine is responsive, ride is smooth and the power is there when you needed it. For the engine of its size, I am very impressed. Of course, with the engine size, fuel consumption cannot go too wrong (I am driving a 2.0A now, doing 9km/l) to even assuming the worst FC, 14km/l in Arona, it is still a gain for me.

Most important for me - the gadgets in the car! The list of stuffs they thrown in to a $92k Arona (FR edition) - I only saw them in higher-priced cars.

SEAT Full Link (Mirror Link, Andriod Auto & Apple Carplay)
8" Colour Touch Screen
Keyless Access & Start System (though it was positioned as if for left-handed-driving)
SEAT Drive Profile (With Eco Function) -- you can connect it to your phone.
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Front Assist (City Emergency Braking + Pedestrain Protection)
Park Assist --> the car literally park itself
Blind Spot Detection
Leather Seats

Nothing really, not even the plastic interior which most reviews complain about. At the end of the day, it is a $92k car - one needs to be realistic.

gamer2030
12 forum posts Joined on 19-Jul-2018
Great mini suv with small car handling  Posted on 19 Jul 2018

Decided to get this car (1.0 Style) after reading about it on European forums. The car is based on the new VW Polo platform and initially had planned to get the SEAT Ibiza. But after trying this out, decided to pay just a bit more a month to get a bigger boot and raised drive height for more manoeuvreability.

Car has amazing handling for its raised height. As standard all SEATs come with great features, apple carplay, android auto as standard, bluetooth, big nice central touchscreen. If you've driven a VW before, it is very familiar in feel and internals. Internally, the plastics are not as refined as a VW, but its a small price to pay for all the features. 360 degree sensors, auto headlights, wipers, parking assist, reverse camera, a dual level boot with 400L space.

1.0 L DSG is more than adequate for SG stop-start traffic. Am currently averaging 4.5-5L/100km on 70% Highway driving, about 6-7L/100km in majority city driving. I prefer the DSG gearbox changes compared to the japanese CVTs, and the lack of the CVT drone is a plus. There is a slight lag in the turbo but it's more than sufficient in taking over and accelerating. Friends are surprised that it's only a 1L engine. Roadtax is very affordable. Don't worry about parts, engine and gearbox. This car shares the same engine and gearbox as the VW Polo, Seat Ibiza and Audi Q2, as well as the Audi A3 and Seat Leon and 1.0 Golf.

It is also quite a smart looking car, nothing edgy like the new hondas and toyotas. A bit younger looking compared to VWs.

All the benefits of owning a Golf at a steep discount.
Great turbo pickup.
Amazing fuel consumption.
So many features as standard.
Front radar has saved me twice already on the highway by auto breaking before I could react (a definite plus for safety)
360 degree sensors with reverse camera is a lifesaver in parking
Nice spot to put your phone just infront of the charger.

The steep discount is likely played out in the interior. I have add-on leather seats which help, the original cloth ones are a bit dull. Dashboard and door plastics are hard and scratchy. Centre console for drinks and storage is quite pathetic. No centre armrest/storage.
No wireless charging, which is standard in the european model
No cruise control (which FR model has) but has a variable speed limiter which i guess helps when I don't want to exceed the speed limit?

Minor problems which can be edited for a bit of money. Doorbins are of good size to be used.

SEAT Arona