Related Articles

Subaru Forester e-Boxer gains five stars at NCAP

Subaru earns nine IIHS awards

Subaru Forester GT Edition showcased in Singapore

Cat B COE lowest since 2010

Car Review - Subaru Forester 2.0i-S EyeSight (A)
15 Oct 2019  |  Subaru Reviews
With EyeSight - a suite of safety systems - fitted as standard, the Subaru Forester is an aggressive-looking SUV that focuses on comfort and safety.
   Consumer Reviews of Subaru Forester

3.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
3/5 Interior Design
3/5 Engine Performance
9 out of 14 (64.3%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

BruceLim
0 forum posts Joined on 31-Jul-2019
Exceeding Expection  Posted on 02 Mar 2020

I have driven the forester for 8 months and have recently done my 10K servicing, here's my thoughts on the forester. I bought the forester after considering the price point, size, functionality of the car and after driving it for awhile I have to say forester lived up to it's reputation of the best AWD system in it's class. Ride wise it's very stable and even cornering at higher speeds exudes a level of confidence that is unmatched by most SUVs in the same category.

Another noteworthy mention is the squarish and wide opening of the boot, loading cargo is not a problem. What I am impressed most, and maybe found irritated sometimes is the Subaru eyesight. The safety features like bling spot monitoring, cruise control is really useful, good job there to the car maker. But I find the rear traffic alert and AEB too sensitive to my liking, but that's life saving features and perhaps early activation is what mitigates a possible accident so though it can be irritating, I do appreciate the system.

Downside is the head unit, it's not sharp and outdated and the sound quality is very average. There's no android auto and carplay and that's quite lame to me. The seats could use better lumbar and it will be good for long trips. Probably the most irate thing I can pick is the windscreen. I could not apply solar film due to the hindering of the eyesight system and that makes the car hot. I probably will install solar film at a later time.

Size and boot space
Back seats fit 3 normal adults comfortably
FC is good, if you drive it in a non rush manner
Eyesight i.e. blind spot monitor, cruise control
Rigid body and stable ride

Head unit
No solar film on windscreen
No android auto and carplay

JeffTan1964
0 forum posts Joined on 31-Jan-2020
Much better than expected  Posted on 31 Jan 2020

I'm writing this after about 4 months of driving the 2019 Subaru Forester Eyesight, and after the first servicing.

Let me be honest about it -- I bought it for the price point. And it is well worth it, considering it is a full-sized SUV. So it doesn't have a top of the line entertainment system or all the other bells and whistles other makes are boasting about in their models. It is also far less expensive than any comparable sized SUV in the market.

My previous car was a sedan, so the size and response took some getting used to, but I like the purring of the engine as you move through the gears. The Eyesight system also turned out to be very useful around tight corners, and the AWD is so stable I have no issues taking corners at higher speeds because it doesn't swing about like my old car used to.

I've driven it up to Malaysia several times since, and it really drives like a dream. The boxer engine is smooth as silk, pickup is excellent and the power you feel when you press down on the accelerator is intoxicating.

Since it's my first time driving a boxer engine, I found the engine a little rough at low revs in the beginning, but after I got used to it (and it got used my driving style), it disappeared altogether.

Entertainment system is basic and there's neither Internet connection nor ApplePlay, never mind a multi-CD changer, but who cares? At the price I paid, I am more than satisfied with what's on board.

The service provided to us at the sales point, after sales and during servicing was also excellent. The salesperson was not pushy, he listened and made suggestions, then let us decide what was best for our needs. He patiently explained the various buttons and options to me when I picked up the car and kindly provided follow up advice when I had questions after I had driven off.

I really have no complaints about the car. This is really worth a look if you're in the market for a full-sized SUV and you don't want to pay too much above $100k.

The stability, the Eyesight system, the look and feel of the car.

That there's no way to switch off the auto stop for the engine when at the red light. But this is really a very minor inconvenience.

Silverfishball
0 forum posts Joined on 11-Dec-2019
A perfect car for family  Posted on 11 Dec 2019

Test drove the new SGP forester and I feel that this car is much more spacious as compared to their predecessor. Before the forester, having test driven the Citroen C5 aircross, Vezel, Outlander and the Peugeot 3008. Forester gained my trust and will be ranked in first place absolutely without any hesitation. Driving the flagship SUV from Subaru couldn't any better.

- The new eyesight system as it provides an additional pair of eyes for the driver
- Rear aircon
- Wider as compared to older models forester
- Car boot space
- AWD
- Driving experience
- Blind spot monitoring
- Lane Departure
- Around Vehicle Monitoring system

- some would argue that the CVT gearbox dampens the driving experience but personally i do not have any concerns with CVT

william666
0 forum posts Joined on 21-Nov-2019
Excellent car i've owned  Posted on 21 Nov 2019

Cannot understand why there are a few comments which are really too subjective and nonsense. Are they from the competitors?

i like Forester 2019 eyesight. I have bought one in August and got it with the 1st bid of COE.

Drove it since then, no issues.

Sent for the 1st servicing, all free and no labour charge. I was giving 11 free servicing (5 years). Thanks to my agent (Kelvin Tan).

-Spacious, good looking, heavy (1.58 tons) and strong (using more high strength steel than 2018 version).
-Good power, really feel confident in motion. I never drove previous turbo version, but i am fine with this current version.
-Eyesight system is great: collision prevention braking helped me at least two or three times! i feel more safe and assured when driving Forester with eyesight.
-Adaptive cruise control ACC is good. Tried many times and it works very well, both in expressways and small roads (need to reduce target speed though). it will never brake suddenly when a car just cut in. quite smooth.
-Auto vehicle hold is very convenient, with the E handbrake.
-Blind spot detection is great also.
- Safety: 7 airbags (many cars has only 2 including my previous Honda Airwave).
- i like the boxer engine, and all wheel drive.
- i like the sunroof, can open to enjoy the fresh air and sunlight.
- i like the keyless feature, auto headlight, auto rainbrush, paddle shifter (for fun), 18" wheel, memory seat, rear aircon, and the camera at left blind spot.

-Auto engine on/off. cannot set to off permanently. need to off it every time.
-A few times, the boot cannot be open. but after a while it is ok. i am still confusing on what cause the problem. will feedback when going for the 2nd servicing.

wengchen
0 forum posts Joined on 31-Oct-2019
REGRETS!  Posted on 31 Oct 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I usually don't write reviews but in this case, I have no choice. Take this as a complaint if you will. Took delivery of my 2019 Forester 4 months ago and ever since it has been giving me constant problems. Some of which are: loss of power 3x, time to time stall like feeling, infotainment system hung and all radio presets gone 4x, unresponsive tailgate 5x, sudden braking with "Eyesight"Enabled. Have gone down to workshop 9x of which 3 days I was without a car. Despite all that time in workshop problems still exist! Seems like the service consultants and mechanics have no idea what they are doing. Be it 3 years, 5 Years or 10 YEARS of free servicing it is of NO GOOD if you are UNABLE to fix the problems! Just waste customer's time and money going up and down to their workshop. No decency to provide courtesy car, taxi voucher or any form of goodwill gesture for such a problematic car and lousy service. The service manager also unable to help or use any initiative. Wasting money on advertising on FM class 95 and Subaru Palm Challenge. Better you use that money on fixing or helping your existing customers! Worst car I have ever owned. Can't wait to get rid off this car from my hands. Very disappointed. Should have just gotten a Toyota or a Honda when I had the chance!

NOTHING

EVERYTHING!

TankoMank
0 forum posts Joined on 15-Oct-2019
Box on Wheels  Posted on 15 Oct 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I was at cars@Expo promo weekend at Toa Payoh. Checked out the forester and didn't find the car, offer or package any interesting. No 360 camera, no android auto or apple carplay. Indeed, sound of radio was horrible. Didn't enjoy the test drive either. Very noisy cvt engine. Although the seats look comfortable but they are not. Unfortunately, car looks like a box on wheels. Thanks to the reviews below and when I asked about solar film for windscreen the answer was a plain - "Cannot apply". Friend who owns a 4th generation forester advised against buying the 5th generation (current) forester and said has lots of problems and service standard is bad. LOL, I was witnessing it when I was there. Gave the salesman benefit of the doubt but he seemed very unenthusiastic. I was given a very low quote for my trade-in car and no discount for new car. Walked out of showroom and into Mazda. Day and night difference in service and enthusiasm. I got $9k more on my trade-in car at Mazda. Mazda CX-5 event car was going at 120k from 160k. Booked one immediately. Better offerings and package as compared to forester. CX-5 a much handsome car from in and outside - very conti. Much better price. Fantastic drive. Powerful 2.0L engine. Android auto and Apple carplay as standard. Bose sound system - it rocks! Lucky didn't buy forester would have regretted big time.

Nothing really, hence I didn't book this car.

Service standards - just look at Google reviews
Salesmen attitude
New car price
Unable to apply solar film on windscreen
Trade-in Car price
No android auto or Apple car play
No 360 deg camera
Uncomfortable seats especially for tall passengers
No wireless charging
Looks in and out
Lousy entertainment unit and speakers
weak aircon and one vent is covered by steering wheel... LOL!

codeone
0 forum posts Joined on 16-Sep-2019
Not for me definitely.  Posted on 16 Sep 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I was at the Toa Payoh show room on a weekday and to my surprise I was the only customer there. Saw about 5 salesman seated at the reception area. Very unnerving as it felt all eyes were on me. However, none approached me until I started meddling with the car.

Car seem ample big but the fittings are extremely poor. Front chrome grill seems as though it's made up of the cheapest plastics they could find. In the rear my daughter scratched her foot when she accidentally rubbed it against the plastic cover of the seat rail underneath the driver chair. Noticed the electric boot was a little finicky, not the best I've seen. Test drove the car and felt engine was underpowered. CVT droning sound was very obvious. Air-conditioner seemed very weak and lastly, extremely lousy lousy speakers. They should just do away with the (ugly orange) sports package offering and provide with a better sound system/speakers instead.

Car's OMV is 17k and to sell it over 114k is so ridiculous. Although, the salesman lowered the price to 105k for the i-S variant but I think it's just too expensive especially, the way it is made with low quality fixtures and fittings. Only winning point depends on how you see it is the AWD but then again, in Singapore context not much of use with our smooth roads. Only thing AWD does is consume more fuel.

Another point I found out from the Salesman was that you are unable to apply solar-film on the windscreen due to the eyesight system that may malfunction and warranty may be void on eyesight because of this. I'd say folks, get ready to be barbequed under the Singapore sun!

There seemed to be more cons than pros for the forester and in the end, decided against buying one. Prospective buyers please look out for the above problems before parting with your money. Hypothetically speaking, let's say car was in total good shape without all the above (and below stated) problems I would at most, AT MOST part with not more than 100k on this car and not a cent more.

Space seems ample with rear folding seats pull of a leaver and the fold. Memory seats, and dual electric seats.

Looks to dated. Weak Aircon, can't apply solar-film on windscreen and must pay additional to apply solar-film on sunroof. (roll eyes). Map/Dome light in cabin not standardised front is white back is ugly yellow. CVT engine droning sound and being underpowered. Extremely lousy speakers. Ridiculous pricing and bad after sales-service - experience from colleague's BIL.

Nivlek96
1 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
Surprisingly good car to drive with excellent features!  Posted on 03 Sep 2019

Was curious about the new Forester S Eyesight and decided to check it out.
It is surprisingly a very nice car to drive and the features and specifications are excellent.
The new Forester S Eyesight is comfortable and offers lots of space for 5 passengers.
Provides excellent value for money, with features that are not found in basic versions of many German sport utility vehicles.
Was seriously considering the Mercedes GLC since I currently own 2 Mercedes cars.
Eventually I purchased the new Forester S Eyesight.
Sounds unusual and unorthodox but that's what happened!

Highly comfortable.
Excellent driving position.
Lots of space within the cabin for 5 adult passengers!
Excellent visibility with its large windows and the car's height.
Eyesight safety system and other features like lane departure warning, blind spot warning, cruise control with distance adjustments, etc.
Excellent value for money.

Looks are somewhat dated, but with the Ranger sports kit with Orange trim plus a nice set of black sports rims, it looks much better now!
Sound system is not excellent, but you can always change the speakers for better sound quality.
Would have been nice if the touchscreen system had Apple Car Play but unfortunately it doesn't, which was disappointing.

SGCMHondajazz
1 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2009
Average SUV car  Posted on 22 Aug 2019

Nothing special about the Japanese car. I bought it because I want a larger car only. If I have financial capabilities, I will go for Continental SUV cars. Overall, it is reasonable and don't expect too much from Japan car marker.

1. The size of the car

1. Provide a lousy and cheapskate Panasonic speaker; very very lousy
2. Weak aircon system
3. Average power only; Don't expect fast pick up but reasonable

petrolpump
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Apr-2018
Crossover - to the other side..  Posted on 13 Aug 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Tried the 2.0i-S (2019, 5th Generation Forester) and my comparison was with the Mitsubishi Outlander. In terms of the CVT engine it seemed as though the forester was not all that well-tuned as compared to the outlander which is also a CVT. When forester was revved engine sounded very strained. Sound proofing wasn't that great either on the forester vs the outlander. Seats comfort and inclination was better on the outlander whereas, forester was so so. Aircon was not as strong on the forester as compared to the outlander - freezer cold, good for our climate. Generic sound system - which sounded like portable battery operated FM radio. Overseas variant they've got Harman Kardon, sound system unfortunately, not for Singapore. Interior lights are incandescent and switches like from a 80s taxi, seriously? Indeed, forester has more bells and whistles but the outlander makes good by giving additional 2 seats. Outlander looks handsome, forester especially the latest iteration looks a little butt ugly.. Sorry, it's just my take.

The outgoing 4th generation forester which had a better ride quality and looks was selling at 99k. This new 5th Gen is pricey. Personally, I wouldn't pay a dime more than 99k for the 2.0i-L base model and 103k for their higher trim 2.0i-S.

As for the service, personally I've been to Subaru showroom 5 times and only twice have I been approached by a Sales Exec (SEs). Rest of the times, I would see SEs either sitting around, drinking coffee, on the phone or chit-chatting never will you find an enthusiastic SE on the floor of Subaru showroom. The two SEs that I was served by on 2 different occasions one looked perpetually sleepy, like got no "Drive" (pun intended) to sell. The other SEs that was sort of enthusiastic on my fifth visit didn't really explain much about the car during test drive. I had to ask then he would only tell otherwise, silent. Moreover, the trade-in value quoted for my old car was the lowest at the Subaru showroom vs any other showroom out there. Also, looking at the complaint down below by other car users makes me want to think twice about Subaru. Mitsubishi Outlander on the other hand, seems to have a large pool of good reviews. Subaru Motor Image, you need to change your image, attitude and price.

Sunroof

Sales Execs
Price

Burningwxl
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Mar-2018
Value-for-money SUV with rather impressing handling abilities  Posted on 12 Jun 2019

I've been driving the new Forester for awhile now and what I really like is the improved handling that comes with what Subaru says is a new global platform.

The handling is really surprising for a pretty sizeable SUV. It even feels like I'm driving a large sporty hatchback.

The interior styling and build quality is also much better than the Subarus I remember from 10 years ago. There are also a lot of safety features that come standard with the new EyeSight package.

But I do wish that Subaru retained the styling of the second gen Forester, as well as a turbo option. That aside, it is still quite a lot of car for the money.

- Handling
- Interior styling
- Safety features
- Comfortable
- Spacious

- Not the biggest fan of how it looks now

BruceLee_99461
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Feb-2015
DO NOT BUY FORESTER 2.0iS eyesight!!!  Posted on 17 May 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I collected my Subaru Forester 2.0iS on Nov 20th 2018. Cut the story short...

Nov 23rd - Rumbling sound heard from undercarriage of new car. Nov 26th, MI resolved it through securing the Fuel Line.

Nov 27th - Ricketing sound from driver seat. Dec 11th, MI retighten driver seat all bolt and mechanishm parts.

Dec 12th - FIRST problem of loss of power and car jerk violently reported to MI. Car was in workshop for 9 days and only returned to me on Dec 20th.

Apr 5th - Second time, Driver Car Seat Ricketing sound heard and MI claimed was resolved through removing the SEAT ASSY and Lubricating the linkages.

May 8th - SECOND problem with loss of power and car jerk reported to MI. Car was in workshop and returned on May 16th, after in workshop for 9 days.

May 17th - THIRD problem with loss of power and car jerk reported to MI. Awaiting for call from Customer Service Dircetor. Currently in contact only with Service Manager. MI still cannot provide me a courtesy car and no idea when they will come to collect my car for 3rd time troubleshooting.

To get back my previous car which was trade in for the Forester.

All of the above in the Review.

Mervynwm
65 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
The GOOD drive despite without Turbo.  Posted on 23 Dec 2018

Test drove this new Forester 2018 S model recently.

Exterior looks pretty much same as the usual BOXY Subaru SUV which some little tweaking in the contouring here and there. Only changes in the lights with full LEDs and other minors.

Interior now comes with electric memory seats, electric parking brakes, neater console layout and a separated informative display too.

Sunroof and electric tailgate are also there as well which makes a close to complete SUV to have.

Guess the gadgets and features that comes in the S version is beyond expectations that one has in mind for a typical Japanese SUV.

This SUV comes with SRH (Steering Responsive Headlights) where you turn, the lamps turn too that can be found usually in the higher end conti or Asian cars available here.

In the catalog, it shows RAB (Reverse Automatic Braking) and SRVD (Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection) which need to check with Tan Chong Motors again which if have is a good one too.

The drive....Move off was adequate despite only having 196nM of torque and changing of gears pretty smooth as well. X Mode is there but not really needed if you are using as a day to day SUV.

Cornering and overtaking are pretty much OK in I or Intelligent mode by default and with AWD (All Wheel Drive) its a definite OK too.

The EyeSight that comes with is of good use as it does caution you of lane departures and front alert.

Only drawback is when engage in S or Sports mode, it doesn't really make a difference in the dash (only 156bhp) as unlike its higher sibling, the XT (has 238bhp) that comes with turbo and much more horses.

When reverse, the catalog shows reverse camera with moving gridlines but doesn't have due to locally fitted and didn't see reverse sensors too, claiming to be hidden, need to confirm if you are getting it.

Overall, its a good drive, despite no turbo and with 156 horses, it does serve as a close to complete SUV with the gadgets you get in an Asian make SUV and the price you are getting (as of 23rd Dec 2018).

EyeSight as standard
Sunroof
Electric Memory Seats (to S variant)
Electric Tailgate (to S variant)
Neater cabin layout
Electric Parking Brake
Full LED front and back lamps
Adaptive headlights
Price (as of 23rd Dec 2018)

Not sure if has RAB and SRVD
No moving grid lines when reverse
S or Sports mode not useful without turbo

BruceLee_99461
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Feb-2015
If you are prone to accident, go for this car, Eyesight will save you!  Posted on 28 Nov 2018

Never driven an SUV, not to mentioned a Subaru. This Forester 2019 with Eyesight is a life saver! On 2 occasions, I almost got into a minor accident had not the Eyesight did an ebrake for me. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone who needs Eyesight to assist you in such situations.

The exterior, I am quite of with. The BOX look of Forester provides ample viewing of the outside. The interior is posh with leather feel throughout but does not have Apple or Android play.

I would say the price is right for this SUV loaded with the life saving Eyesight and Assisted Cruise Control is fantastic.

1) Eyesight performing ebrake to prevent accident. I experienced it twice!

2) Assisted Cruise Control. This really works as it will gauge the car in front and adjust the speed accordingly, even though you may have set higher speed.

3) Panoramic sunroof brings in lots of light to the cabin.

4) Leather feel throughout the cabin.

1) I had to go back to MI to get my car checked for vibration of the exhaust pipe causing stress to me for this less than 3 days old new car! Why the hell will a new car has exhaust that is loose?

2) No Apple / Android Play.

Subaru Forester