Related Articles

New Subaru Forester unveiled in New York

Five things we like about the new Subaru Forester

An up close and personal experience with Subaru

Run-flat technology tyres myths busted

Consumer Reviews of Subaru Forester

3.5/5 Reliability
3.5/5 Features
3.5/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
3 out of 4 (75%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Mervynwm
Premium User Mervynwm
62 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
The GOOD drive despite without Turbo.  Posted on 23 Dec 2018

Test drove this new Forester 2018 S model recently.

Exterior looks pretty much same as the usual BOXY Subaru SUV which some little tweaking in the contouring here and there. Only changes in the lights with full LEDs and other minors.

Interior now comes with electric memory seats, electric parking brakes, neater console layout and a separated informative display too.

Sunroof and electric tailgate are also there as well which makes a close to complete SUV to have.

Guess the gadgets and features that comes in the S version is beyond expectations that one has in mind for a typical Japanese SUV.

This SUV comes with SRH (Steering Responsive Headlights) where you turn, the lamps turn too that can be found usually in the higher end conti or Asian cars available here.

In the catalog, it shows RAB (Reverse Automatic Braking) and SRVD (Subaru Rear Vehicle Detection) which need to check with Tan Chong Motors again which if have is a good one too.

The drive....Move off was adequate despite only having 196nM of torque and changing of gears pretty smooth as well. X Mode is there but not really needed if you are using as a day to day SUV.

Cornering and overtaking are pretty much OK in I or Intelligent mode by default and with AWD (All Wheel Drive) its a definite OK too.

The EyeSight that comes with is of good use as it does caution you of lane departures and front alert.

Only drawback is when engage in S or Sports mode, it doesn't really make a difference in the dash (only 156bhp) as unlike its higher sibling, the XT (has 238bhp) that comes with turbo and much more horses.

When reverse, the catalog shows reverse camera with moving gridlines but doesn't have due to locally fitted and didn't see reverse sensors too, claiming to be hidden, need to confirm if you are getting it.

Overall, its a good drive, despite no turbo and with 156 horses, it does serve as a close to complete SUV with the gadgets you get in an Asian make SUV and the price you are getting (as of 23rd Dec 2018).

EyeSight as standard
Sunroof
Electric Memory Seats (to S variant)
Electric Tailgate (to S variant)
Neater cabin layout
Electric Parking Brake
Full LED front and back lamps
Adaptive headlights
Price (as of 23rd Dec 2018)

Not sure if has RAB and SRVD
No moving grid lines when reverse
S or Sports mode not useful without turbo

Burningwxl
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Mar-2018
Value-for-money SUV with rather impressing handling abilities  Posted on 12 Jun 2019

I've been driving the new Forester for awhile now and what I really like is the improved handling that comes with what Subaru says is a new global platform.

The handling is really surprising for a pretty sizeable SUV. It even feels like I'm driving a large sporty hatchback.

The interior styling and build quality is also much better than the Subarus I remember from 10 years ago. There are also a lot of safety features that come standard with the new EyeSight package.

But I do wish that Subaru retained the styling of the second gen Forester, as well as a turbo option. That aside, it is still quite a lot of car for the money.

- Handling
- Interior styling
- Safety features
- Comfortable
- Spacious

- Not the biggest fan of how it looks now

BruceLee_99461
Premium User BruceLee_99461
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Feb-2015
DO NOT BUY FORESTER 2.0iS eyesight!!!  Posted on 17 May 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

I collected my Subaru Forester 2.0iS on Nov 20th 2018. Cut the story short...

Nov 23rd - Rumbling sound heard from undercarriage of new car. Nov 26th, MI resolved it through securing the Fuel Line.

Nov 27th - Ricketing sound from driver seat. Dec 11th, MI retighten driver seat all bolt and mechanishm parts.

Dec 12th - FIRST problem of loss of power and car jerk violently reported to MI. Car was in workshop for 9 days and only returned to me on Dec 20th.

Apr 5th - Second time, Driver Car Seat Ricketing sound heard and MI claimed was resolved through removing the SEAT ASSY and Lubricating the linkages.

May 8th - SECOND problem with loss of power and car jerk reported to MI. Car was in workshop and returned on May 16th, after in workshop for 9 days.

May 17th - THIRD problem with loss of power and car jerk reported to MI. Awaiting for call from Customer Service Dircetor. Currently in contact only with Service Manager. MI still cannot provide me a courtesy car and no idea when they will come to collect my car for 3rd time troubleshooting.

To get back my previous car which was trade in for the Forester.

All of the above in the Review.

BruceLee_99461
Premium User BruceLee_99461
0 forum posts Joined on 17-Feb-2015
If you are prone to accident, go for this car, Eyesight will save you!  Posted on 28 Nov 2018

Never driven an SUV, not to mentioned a Subaru. This Forester 2019 with Eyesight is a life saver! On 2 occasions, I almost got into a minor accident had not the Eyesight did an ebrake for me. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone who needs Eyesight to assist you in such situations.

The exterior, I am quite of with. The BOX look of Forester provides ample viewing of the outside. The interior is posh with leather feel throughout but does not have Apple or Android play.

I would say the price is right for this SUV loaded with the life saving Eyesight and Assisted Cruise Control is fantastic.

1) Eyesight performing ebrake to prevent accident. I experienced it twice!

2) Assisted Cruise Control. This really works as it will gauge the car in front and adjust the speed accordingly, even though you may have set higher speed.

3) Panoramic sunroof brings in lots of light to the cabin.

4) Leather feel throughout the cabin.

1) I had to go back to MI to get my car checked for vibration of the exhaust pipe causing stress to me for this less than 3 days old new car! Why the hell will a new car has exhaust that is loose?

2) No Apple / Android Play.

Subaru Forester