Related Articles

Should you still get a hybrid?

Toyota introduces the all new Corolla Trek

Toyota Singapore now offers test drives from home

The RE004 enhances the joy of driving

Car Review - Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 Elegance (A)
29 Jan 2020  |  Toyota Reviews
The new Toyota Corolla Altis brings subtle refinements to the tried and tested formula that has made it the best-selling car in the world.
   Consumer Reviews of Toyota Corolla Altis

5/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
4.5/5 Engine Performance
2 out of 2 (100%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

choozeee275
0 forum posts Joined on 22-Sep-2020
Bought my first ever car and I chose a Corolla Altis!  Posted on 22 Sep 2020

It's been a long while since the first review of the car Hence thought I want to share my ownership experience.

Before landing on the Corolla Altis, I test drove these cars as well:

Mazda 3 mild-hybrid
Kia Cerato Forte (GT Line)
Honda Civic 1.6

Why I chose the Corolla Altis in the end was because:

- Superb visibility (this was what impressed me the most once I got into the car for the test drive) due to the thin pillars and new design and placement of the side mirrors which enhanced the driver's visibility of the road and kerbs

- Smooth and comfortable ride (with my wife sitting in the back sit and she felt likewise as well). To be fair, the Mazda 3 was also smooth and comfortable given the both models were still pretty new but the edge still went to the Altis

- Comes with important safety features as standard across all variants (never knew that the idea of 7 air bags was so important until I realised that not all car manufacturers offer that as standard)

- The new exterior look impressed us and didn't give us any of the "Uncle" Or "Old-man" Car kinda vibes

After the test drive with the sales agent (Serina) in mid Feb, both my wife and I were convinced that the Corolla Altis felt the nicest overall, although our hearts were quite torn with the Mazda 3 (for the stunning and sexy looks, and the HUD was pretty amazing too!). We decided to confirm and place our deposits that same weekend.

We decided to go with the Corolla Altis (Elegance model) despite it losing out on looks to the Mazda 3 due to the comfort and the overall driving feel which I felt was the deciding factor, from a driver's perspective.

We managed to get our COE on the first try and collected the car in mid March just before circuit breaker. The timing was just perfect as they had stock of the exact colour that we wanted (pearl white).

The driving and ownership experience has been generally positive so far over the last 6 months, no major complaints although it is not without some minor ones and some personal preferences here and there (which I've elaborated below). Hope this review will give you some insights if you are considering getting this car for yourself or your family!

Driving experience (smooth transition and engine performance all round), sound insulation is generally alright though road noise can still be heard within the cabin.

Comes with shifting gear pedals (which was a first for me), quite a useful feature when I need to down shift to gain more speed to overtake or to merge on the expressway.

Driver's visibility from the driver's seat (the thin pillars and placement of the side mirrors really made that small but huge impact)

The exterior look of the car (although the rear isn't as exciting as the front) that gives it good road presence

Good cabin design and generally spacious all round, including the boot space
Air con vents for the rear passengers is a good add for SG weather

BM was nice enough to offer me 2 in-car cams (instead of the usual 1)

Key-less entry (via the driver's side)
Lumbar support for the driver's seat (realised that it is important for the driver and it's not offered by all manufacturers also)

Air conditioning is good and strong (with dual zone climate control), and has cleaning technology too!

Pretty happy with the fuel consumption (average FC so far is about 14.8km/l)

The 7" infotainment system which doesn't support android auto / apple car play.
The looks and functionality was pretty dated, and it doesn't help that there was this huge bezels surrounding the infotainment system which was pretty much of an eyesore, had to swop for an Android based 10" infotainment system which now looks so much better, as it should have been!

No USB charging port for the rear passengers

Lack of an updated/new rims design (it's an update in designs in terms of having more spokes than the earlier generation), if only they had a newer design for the 12th gen though

Would have been nice to come with a wireless charger similar to other car manufacturers

Steering wheel is towards the light side (personal preference is something a bit heavier/more engaging), guess this makes the car pretty easy to drive.

No memory seats in all variants

No electronic parking brake (only available in the Hybrid model)

Limited storage spaces at the front & sides of the car

CarbonFalcon
1 forum posts Joined on 22-Nov-2012
Dynamic from Standstill  Posted on 21 Jan 2020

Having tried the new Kia Cerato, Hyundai Avante, Honda Civic and the new Altis - the Altis clearly clearly outshines the rest. In terms of drive and handling it has vastly improved vs the previous generation - thanks mainly to a new gen rear double wishbone setup. All along Honda Civic took the lead with its heavy multi link, but the Altis changed it all.

The way this lowered Altis handles brings me back to my childhood days. Driving is very comfy, sharp and reliable. Even the old 1.6 engine received some kind of upgrade that makes it all very perky this gen. Rear Aircon is also much welcome and makes it very comfy for rear passengers. Even the way the car brakes is like someone sitting down rather than the usual abrupt shifting of weight to the nose. Toyota has done an excellent job this improvement.

Kia Cerato was the worst of it all. Base grade doesnt even indicators on the side and while the interiors were spacious, it slides and wrestles even at slow speeds. The Avante was better but for that price, the Altis makes way better sense.

I love the Honda Civic. However this is 2020. The push start bling button and the techno speedometer belong in the 90s. Still it was the best sedan out there... But clearly not anymore. The quietness, comfort, quality on the Altis are a whole generation better.

Sharp handling. Perkier engine. Quiet and comfortable interior - very little body roll versus prev. generation Altis. Fuel efficiency was an amazing 15km/l despite driving up and down slopes for most of the time. Highways yielded 18-20km/l.

Dynamic radar cruise control and emergency braking are very useful. More airbags vs Honda Civic or Cerato. Toyota Safety Sense gives a peace of mind.

LED headlights, Digital Speedometer are futuristic.

Rear Aircon.

Toyota took an entire generation to be slightly better than the Honda Civic in performance and sportiness.

Pricey Hybrid version.