The shortest 6/7-seaters you can still get in 2022

There's a car for all at the Jack Car showcase

Sienta Hybrid: Living big in a tiny, quirky house

Maintain your car to avoid expensive repairs

Video Review - Toyota Sienta Hybrid 1.5 Elegance (A)
12 Nov 2022  |  Toyota Reviews
The Toyota Sienta Hybrid is a convincing package with its clever cabin, comfortable ride, and fuel-sipping drivetrain.
What We Dislike

Comfort 5.0 Reliability 4.0
Handling 3.0 Features 4.0
Exterior Styling 4.0 Interior Design 5.0
Value for money 3.0 Engine Performance 4.0

Truth to be told, I was never interested in a Sienta before until I saw the launch photos of this new gen. I mean, to go into this interesting route of design was never going to be a Toyota thing.

To satisfy my curiousity, I went to the showroom today to take a look and test drive with my wife and kids. First look inside and I can see the same funky fabric as the seats on the dash like a Citroen would do as well but otherwise functional and usable layout with many cubby holes as what a family MPV purpose should be.

Seats are comfy, 2nd row space is good and in fact my 1.3m tall son can nearly stand straight inside! It also has row-up sun shades, good for sunny days and sleeping toddlers. I got the kids to test the 3rd row and it seems fine. It also folds neatly under the 2nd row when it's not in use.

I wasn't expecting anything from the test drive as I don't believe that it will be good or anything but I was so wrong. As this is my first time in a hybrid, I was very wowed by the silent car start. Once I moved off, the switchover from EV to ICE was seamless. However it was the pickup from zero which stunned me.

I can't believe that a 7 seater MPV with a 1.5 engine can pick up so well. I believe the electric motor helped a lot. The CVT also seems to have came from a long way from the Lancer GLX days. The speed does seems to pick up along with the acceleration but without the whining. I was truly impressed.

The ride is all right, insulation is quite good throughout the test drive but I can't comment about the handling as it's just a short route.

I also don't have anything to say about the equipment or anything but TSS is standard, big infotainment screen, digital instrument cluster is on board.

Overall, I find it a good and sincere finished product from Toyota whom I believe the main target audience would be for young families who are sick of looking at the usual same old MPV that are trying too hard to look futuristic or trendy when it should be funky with character.

- Funky looks, departs from the usual norm
- Good, all round visibility
- Not too big, not too small for urban Singapore
- Funky yet spacious interior, big cubby holes
- The new Dynamic Force hybrid motor + CVT combo
- Free 3 yr servicing plus package
- Comes with funky colours option
- MIJ feel-good factor

- Should consider using bright colour fabric on dash and seats
- The rear tailgate glass can't be open as a secondary opening
- It's MIJ meaning price will be higher comparing to MIT
- Common problem with small MPV - small boot space when all 7 seats are used
- Seems like no built-in slots for roof racks
- No 2nd row blower fan
- My wife prefer leather seats as the seats might not be spill proof

Gunn
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Nov-2022
Nicely done Sienta Hybrid  Posted on 13 Nov 2022

Have driven for a week and I must say it is pretty impressive. Very smooth and quiet . More powerful than my previous 2nd gen. It's really very cosy inside as the interior is done up very nicely. Love the comfortable feeling and driving experience. What's lacking is the back row air con vents. Will be perfect if that's provided.
Overall many won't regret this purchase. I for one am happy with it though bit expensive.

CaseyLin
0 forum posts Joined on 11-Jul-2022
Super Sienta  Posted on 30 Oct 2022

The New Sienta is marvellous. It has got all the features of the Lexus such as speed controlled cruise , collusion and lane departure indicator. The pickup is very good for a 1500cc. Parking and front sensors are standard . Infotainment is advance with apple air play . Arm rests for the front seat with a nice space for ladies handbag . Lots of storage place including a big front box in front of the steering wheel on the dash board .
Only set back is no rear aircon . But the front is sufficient for front occupancy. Consumption is very Low and has got power mode even beside the ev mode and Econ mode . It will be a best seller . Super quiet, typical of toyota . Little or no road tyre noise . Excellent car !

supresass
0 forum posts Joined on 07-Apr-2021
Toyota Sienta: Easy seven-seater  Posted on 24 Oct 2022

Comfort 5.0 Reliability 4.0
Handling 3.0 Features 4.0
Exterior Styling 4.0 Interior Design 4.0
Value for money 4.0 Engine Performance 4.0

The new Toyota Sienta looks like some kind off futuristic space craft, with its alien eyes, and strange lines and accent pieces all over. Thankfully, its all down to earth where it matters in a compact MPV: In the cabin.

Hybrid power is what it's like. Weak numbers litter the spec sheet but from behind the wheel, the Sienta feels anything but. It's gutsy, and quiet enough so you don't really feel like you need any more than what is already available.

And, if traffic doesn't allow you to mesh the accelerator, there's a great cabin here to enjoy as well. The plastics feel cheap as a shed, and the infotainment is really nothing that will impress, but there's a nice horizontal strip of fabric to liven things up a little, and there's a sorts of bins and separated sections so you can keep all your kids stuff reasonably compartmentalised.

With time how you feel about the design of this Sienta could go to some extreme of either end. But then again, that's nothing really new for the Sienta.

Toyota Sienta Hybrid