Related Articles

Learning about Opel's future Singapore plans

Opel develops race car for customers

The Opel Astra 1.0 is an acquired taste

Kona EV charges Hyundai's electrification

Car Review - Opel Astra 1.0 Easytronic (A)
10 Aug 2016  |  Opel Reviews
The Opel Astra 1.0 has the same furnish and finish as its 1.4-litre counterpart and has an amusing Easytronic gearbox, which may divide opinions.
vs
Comparison Tests:
Ford Focus Hatchback 1.0 Titanium vs Opel Astra 1.0 Easytronic
   Consumer Reviews of Opel Astra

4/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Features
4.5/5 Interior Design
4/5 Engine Performance
11 out of 13 (84.6%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

SAMSUNGmobile
16 forum posts Joined on 04-Sep-2016
Punchy hot hatch  Posted on 14 Aug 2019

This car is a direct competitor to the Volkswagen golf, Audi A3 HB, Seat Leon and maybe Volvo V40. In terms of engine power to price ratio, the Astra definitely beats all of them with its punchy 1.4 turbo. Owned the car for about 4 months and it still drives and feels like when I just collected it. Interior is a tad bit dull compared to its European counterparts but would still easily outclass jap/kor cars. Hope to see more of it on the road!

- punchy engine
- stylish exterior
- reliable drive
- great handling

- some minor rattling noise from door panels
- rear seats do not fold completely flat
- no sports mode
- no paddle shifters

vincent8123
0 forum posts Joined on 22-Feb-2018
Comfortable , value for money  Posted on 22 Feb 2018

I decided on this sub 100k car after searching for 7 months. After driving it for 4 months , I can say for the price I paid , it is fantastic.
It is flushed full of safety features and creature comforts.

Fantastic acceleration and superbly comfortable seats. Spacious backseat. And an unbeatable price compared to the conventional Japanese cars. Very solid feel to the car

The easytronic takes time to get used to

Teo2000
124 forum posts Joined on 25-Sep-2012
Best performance for the price you pay.  Posted on 04 Nov 2017

I have been driving the Astra 1.4T HB for 8 months now so it's time to give review.
I already have 13100 km on my odometer.

The car is very stable at high speeds and have driven up north 3 times already, each trip is about 800 km each. Overtaking at 150 km/h is a breeze and the car does not even work up a sweat at all. The 6 speed AT is silky smooth.

The driver's seat is comfortable and I don't even feel fatigue after a long drive.

Many other features such as Lane Departure Warning, Collision Alert, Auto Start-Stop, Auto headlights and TPMS are standard in this car.

Rear legroom is good.
Stable at very high speed (At more than 150 km/h).
Styling and external design.

The rims are difficult to clean.
Occasional rattling at the front speaker door panel.

Jubilong
Premium User Jubilong
351 forum posts Joined on 01-Mar-2006
Enjoyable drive for the price of a Japanese and less  Posted on 13 Sep 2017

What sold me about the Astra is its features from electric tailgate, lane departure assist, emergency brake warnings and assist (saved me on a few occasions) and android and apple car play.

After I researched European owners for their feedback, I am generally please that the car after a year then on the market is generally trouble free.
Further testimony from a close friend who had 4 Opel before and the longest lasting 7 years before he sold, told me normal wear and tear and no breakdowns or gear box issues at all.

Its been almost a year since i own the car and I must say that we are enjoying its ride each day more than the other.

features
good fuel consumption
price

The sports rims

Spinball
77 forum posts Joined on 05-Dec-2009
Great car but disappointing...  Posted on 22 Jun 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Owned the 1.4T HB for about 3 months. I must say rear space is good as compared to other similar class car.. Comes with safety features at affordable price.. Ride is good at 90 KM/H onwards.... Acceleration is fast even though some turbo lag can be felt... No major break-down so far.. Unfortunately, the car is plagued with unreliable electronics and incompetent service centre.

Head light refused to turn off after coming out from MSCP or tunnel under bright day under auto headlight mode... Wipers will sometime wipe at insane speed using Auto Rain Sensor. Brake is noisy when you put the car to a stop and moving off..

Overall, Astra K is a good buy since the price is affordable but potential buyers be warned, you have to prepare to bear with minor annoyance here and there..

- Good safety features at affordable price.
- Good rear passenger space.
- Good FC.

- Interior build is miserable.
- A lots of rattle noise.
- Auto Head Light and Rain sensors working intermittently
- Noisy Brake

Kiario
Premium User Kiario
1451 forum posts Joined on 27-Mar-2003
1 litre dynamo  Posted on 24 Apr 2017

Got myself an astra 1 litre and have been impressed and happy so far.
Despite its small engine, it is nippy and had enough torque to pull away from traffic, especially in manual mode.
Features are aplenty such as lane assist, tpms, collision system, start stop, cruise control, park assist etc.
Petrol consumption is good. For my first full tank, I travelled 700km before topping up 44litres of petrol which averages about 16 l/km. Considering the many times I was idling so as to change the vehicle settings, I believe it will only get better.
Only worry is reliability but as Opel is offering 5 years warranty, I am more or less at ease.
MTA gear box needs getting used to especially for those who doesn't drive manual, but once you get the hang of it, it is really fun.

1) safety features such as lane assist, collision system etc.
2) nippy and torquey engine, cannot believe it is 1 litre only.
3) good fuel consumption with 70% highway and 30% city and achieving 16 l/km for my first tank.
4) 5 years unlimited milage warranty.
5) 4th and 5th years servicing capped at $800. Sometimes got free 5 years servicing during roadshow.

1) start stop.
2) 5 gears only.
3) no paddle shift.

Topcom
1 forum posts Joined on 22-Apr-2011
Slick !  Posted on 13 Apr 2017

Great for driving and unbelievable power you will never believe it is 1 liter... If you easy on the Accelerator it can go easily 650km on Singapore roads ( Mixed ) If to KL and Back max used 3/4 tank from Tuas to Tuas..
Only issue is when it rains its hard to control the mist on the windscreen... Even thou you follow the steps on the manual!
Other then that great car... Hope its like this for 10 years..
only in Ubi to service can be troublesome... Hope they shift to Leng Kee soon.

looks and also the safety and petrol savings

when it rains its hard to control the mist on the windscreen...
The model should have the sharks fin on the top and head lights should be white Led...

Purplexus
68 forum posts Joined on 08-Aug-2009
Nippy 1 litre car  Posted on 21 Feb 2017

Went to test drive the 1.0 litre Astra with a semi-auto gearbox - first of a few small cars I plan to test drive and short list for her to consider for replacement of the current 9 year old Astra GTC. This new Astra feels smaller than the model we have and with a 3 cylinder engine, it does feel strained. The exterior design is cool and the interiro materials much better then before. Great safety features and Apple play is a plus but the screen is small. The semi-auto gearbox is jerky and unnerving with almost like a rubber banding effect of the old type CVT's. The manual mode was fussy to use and engaging the reverse gear by mistake can be a problem. I think the 1.4T full auto would be a better drive. This is personal as there will be those who prefer this manual like feel especially in Europe. The ride was well damped but the rear seats were rather cramp according to my better half. Overall I decided to shortlisted this car for her to try out in the 1.4T version as the safety features are good.

Safety and cool looks. Good interior materials.
Good value for 93+ K
Low road tax and fuel efficiency

Cramp rear seats but adequate boot.
Jerky semi -auto box
3 cylinder engine straining away occassionally detected and heard.

stnch
Premium User stnch
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Mar-2014
Terrible after sales service  Posted on 23 Jan 2017
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Terrible after sales service. Astra has many issues. I had to send in my car many times & yet they couldn't find the root cause of the problem. Spoke to the person in charge who is not receptive, arrogant & defensive. Karl-Thomas Neumann https://www.Facebook.Com/mtbarra/?Ref=page_internal Opel Singapore

After sales service

leonglsk
0 forum posts Joined on 29-Nov-2016
Decent car  Posted on 12 Dec 2016

Small yet have power for the 1,000cc. Good value for money and fuel consumption for long term usage.

Compact, low CO2 emmision.

Vwguy77
285 forum posts Joined on 22-Dec-2008
Surprisingly Great Car!  Posted on 24 Sep 2016

Just like many other drivers out there, the brand name OPEL seems alien and that its never a topic that fellow drivers will even discuss about it or ever felt its presence on our roads.

That, however, it is going to be changed forever with this new ASTRA.

Before stepping into the showroom, I placed all my other perceptions at the doorstep and I was really pleasantly surprised by its build and design. The dashboard is well though out and with none of the strange bits that is found in some popular cars. I had a test drive in the usual route at Ubi and its smashes all other experiences that I had with other asian car brand. The engine revs smoothly and the oomph is just perfect without the usual breathlessness yo will find in some cars these days.

This 1.4T Astra has just snatched a top 3 position of the car that I will replace my 9 year old car.... Its that good.

The Drive: The 1.4T works like a charm!

The Interior: Design and quality on par with the popular german car brand

Safety Features: A LOT

Technology: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto... enuff said.

Steering Column: Seems a bit too close to my body.

Vision: The back window is a tad small.

Power Seats: Not available

CarbonFalcon
Premium User CarbonFalcon
0 forum posts Joined on 22-Nov-2012
Honest Performance and Reliability  Posted on 12 Aug 2016

Opels have always served my family well – From the old Astra convertible to the Zafira, they provided excellent comfort, noise insulation and were extremely reliable. The new 1.4T Astra didn’T disappoint either. With a true to brand Opel heft, this one was truly worthy of rocket propulsion association that the Audi R8 wrongfully portrayed with a fake Buzz Aldrin. There’S a solid feel to it without compromising on fuel efficiency or lying about carbon output. Best of all, the Astra outperforms the standard A4/A3 and VW Golf powered by the 1.4T, except for the Golf R-line which it matches. And… It costs about $14,000 less.
Unlike Japanese turbos or even those on the BMW Sport mode, the Astra’S sport mode doesn’T go full Jack Russel hyper. It feels like a tamer, classier giant. Almost like the engine went from 1.4T to 2.8 atmospheric. There’S no fixed turbo rush at 2000rpm like on the Ford Fiesta. Instead, the torque is spread out over a large bandwidth. No effort was made to keep the acceleration linear and CVT-like – And that would have straddled into Lexus territory. Instead, it has a unique sporty feel. After a light initial thrust to show it is indeed of turbo heritage, the rest of the power concedes into added grip and feel of the roads – Making the whole vehicle feel a lot more planted. Power on tap goes unlimited and it doesn’T seem to taper off quickly – Largely appreciated for North drives where small turbo cars show their pitiful sides. There was nothing raw, nothing unholy of the Astra’S full power – Everything felt in complete control. A perfect takeoff and safe flight.
It is rare to see cars like these anymore. Toyota would rather falsely communicate performance with muscular lines and a dramatic design – Hiding a tiny power plant mated to CVT inside. The typical equation in mass produced cars - maximum profit with minimum effort. Alternately, the Astra pairs borderline insane performance with unassuming looks and throws in a hefty discount. While not very clever to maximize profits, Opel knows that it’S the era where honesty is king. Joining the ranks of Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs’ Fashion sense, Astra has worked towards being a better car than pretending to be one. For that, I guess it is truly worthy of the title – European Car of the Year.

Composed power delivery

Solid Body and Noise Insulation

Clean Infotainment and Interface

Useful hands-free technologies - rain sensor, auto headlights, warning indicators

Could use more dramatic rim designs

alsinsin
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Mar-2016
Car rental in Europe  Posted on 19 Jun 2016

Drive around 600km mostly highway with some city driving in the latest 1.4t with a manual gearbox.

It is a good looking car with a sporty presence. Should please most people.

Interior is rather large for the size. Seats are comfortable but very hard in pure German style. The dash is simple with a large touch screen. The controls are easy to find and driving away is strait forward. The audio is pretty nice for a standard setup. The map on the on board GPS was bad with important cities missing from the list!

The boot took 3 medium size suitcase plus one cabin size luggage with the remaining 2 cabine size luggage finding a space on the rear bench. This is a bit small.

The engine is really nice with a lot of torque and a good top end. Accelerations are nice and overdriving is never a problem. The gearbox is not very precise with long throw and the clutch has a very long travel so shifting gear was not so enjoyable. The automatic gearbox will probably be a better option for Singapore.

Fuel consumption was rather nice at 7l/100km.

One very bad point is the rear view. The rear window is very small and the c pillars are very thick. The dead angle is very large and it is difficult to spot motorcycles overtaking you.

Engine
Drive

Rear view with deadly dead corners
Small booth for a 5 seated
Fuzzy manual gearbox
Map with missing destination!

Opel Astra