Related Articles

New Honda CR-V scores five-star Euro NCAP rating

New Suzuki Swift takes on Honda and Seat

Honda reveals new look and engine for the Jazz

Skoda continues support for Charity Bike 'n' Blade

Car Review - Honda Jazz 1.5 RS i-VTEC (A)
13 Oct 2014  |  Honda Reviews
One of Singapore's beloved compact hatchback is back in its third generation. How will the new Honda Jazz fare in its fiercely contested segment?
vs

Consumer Reviews of Honda Jazz

4/5 Reliability
4/5 Interior Design
3.5/5 Engine Performance
28 out of 32 (87.5%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 ) Next »
BoneStock
1884 forum posts Joined on 13-Feb-2002
Nice Jap Hatchback  Posted on 14 Mar 2019

Been driving this car for over one week. It is everything I expected of this little Japanese Hatchback. Read a lot of reviews on this car before finally taking the plunge, and so far, I have not been disappointed.

Engine is silky smooth with a low bassy grunt during low rpms. I love the sound. As compared to the conventional trannies with planetary gearsets, the CVT is smooth and efficient. Most apparent is the absence of jerks when the tranny is still cold. The car handles very well around bends and corners, despite it is still on puny stock 175 tyres.

The cabin space is extremely generous, especially for rear seat passengers.

The cruise control also comes in handy during long drives on the expressways. Finally can rest my right leg.

- Silky smooth drive from the drive train - engine + CVT
- Very efficient averaging 18.8km/L for 50/50 city highway
- very spacious interior, superb legroom for rear passengers
- spare tyre
- cruise control
- multifunction steering
- excellent reverse cam with 3 different views
- good handling

- stock enkei rims too narrow, limiting the choice of tyres
- 175 tyres
- armrest too low
- no auto locking doors

scotch500
Premium User scotch500
0 forum posts Joined on 04-Mar-2019
Reliable and zippy car  Posted on 22 Apr 2019

Having owned the Jazz for more than 2 years, the car is reliable giving no problems over more than 50,000 km. It is an agile little car but big in leg space. The rear seats are also very versatile. I managed to squeeze in bulky equipment and various big items when needed.

The rear suspension is really bumpy though, and it might make the rear passengers feel abused after a long car ride. Engine noise and the drone of the CVT gearbox can be intrusive at times, especially when you are starting off from a stationary position. However, it is really economical to use on a daily basis. Averaged 15 km/l in 50/50 city/highway driving

Build quality feels solid but the piano black area surrounding the center console attracts a lot of dust and seems to get scratched easily.

Otherwise, quite a good car to drive

Quite good acceleration for a non - turbo charged car
Versatile rear seats
Roomy interior
Agile handling - U - turning and tight parking spaces are never a problem
Superb reliability
Good resale value

Noisy engine and gearbox - the sound can be really intrusive to the point that the other party i was talking to over the phone asked what car I was in as the engine really sounded coarse
Quite over priced by AD
The multimedia system is quite unresponsive at times

iamttl
0 forum posts Joined on 20-Apr-2019
Not a car for the comfort-seekers and ease of mind.  Posted on 20 Apr 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

Bought the car as MIJ cars are deemed to be problem free and no-frills when coming to comfort and maintenance, have the 1.3cc and i must say that Honda does live up to its name of providing adequate power, but only for the initial 2 months with it.

What i like when i first got this car is the cruise control and various computer amenities, the VERY LARGE cabin space for the class, and the fold-up rear seat.

An immediate disappointment is when the sales person reminding me to get my breakdown triangle from previous car because Jazz doesn't come with it.

I was initially impressed by the FC of around 15km per litre during the break-in period. But this immediately dropped to mid 14km/L after the first servicing.

The drives within these initial two months have seen the FC finally dropping to 10.4km/L which is what my previous traded in Geely MK is.

This plus the loss of power is substantially noticable. Wherever i press the accelerator further to hit 3k RPM (yes i'm not revving type) the car have a noticable 'braking effect', followed by a sudden rise in acceleration.

Japanese car can't be deem as quality nowadays too. Already at the 4,000 km into my drive i brought my Jazz in for i noticed there are loose knocking sound from the engine undercarriage during slow drives with humps in HDB carparks.

Took my jazz in and is informed by the techniciain that:
1. Under plate has come off,
2. Engine mounting loose.

WHAT?! FOR A 4,000km CAR?!

The problem even after they tightened the nuts came back the next day. Power also dramatically decreased over time and FC went for the dive, even with air-con off and tyres overly inflated as from factory.

The 19km/L and Japanese reliability promised cannot be trusted today.

I will be taking my Jazz in again to the workshop for:
- Same loose knocking sound,
- Possible driveshaft issue as have knocking sound when pressing (slightly) and releasing gas
- Poor FC
- Poor acceleration
- Non-responsive throttle and gearbox.

I have a feeling did Kah Motors sold me a 2nd hand car for a new car? Have checked LTA doesn't seems like it.

For now i will treat using this car as a bad decision with a high FC, and probably high maintenance cost.

As for comfort, the headrest is not adjustable and the lumber just feels weird.

Multitude of USB + power
Mirrorlink supported headunit
Good speakers
Large cabin space
Lots of power supplies
Cruise control
Engine power at initial use ( < 3,000 km)

Very bad reliability - Loose under-plate and engine mounting at 4000km mileage.
Extremely underpowered after short use
Very poor FC of 10km/L in city drive.
Very noisy (grinding sound when moving off, whining sound from gearbox)
'Braking effect' when depressing the pedal to 3k RPM

Arsenal1983
3 forum posts Joined on 12-Nov-2018
Reasonable 1.3L hatchback for small family  Posted on 17 Mar 2019

Gotten this car since Thursday, and hopefully my 2cts worth is helpful.

This is my 2nd car as I upgraded from a 1.2L manual.

The Good;
- interior is much bigger than I thought: space in terms of width and height (there is still headroom of est 10-15cm when I drive, I'm 6' tall)
- simple to drive: very easy handling suitable for almost everyone even those who just pass out from driving schools
- engine is on CVT: it picks up speed gradually..Almost seamlessly, no jerking
- hill start assist means it won't roll back when I'm on a upslope..Pretty useful for me as I always worry abt roll-back
- good fuel efficiency: thou abit pre-mature to comment, my observation so far is that it fares very well on highway easily can achieve 19-20km/litre without problem
- reasonable soundproofing, you will still hear some road noise..But not too bad..
- paddle shifters seem fun, cruise control too..
- magic seats, convert your car into a pickup anytime..
- 5yrs warranty with 3yrs free maintenance

The Bads:
- pretty basic features means no NAV and Apple CarPlay - yes, this can be overcome by using navigation on a mobile phone or gps..
- key - this isn't keyless, the key is Long and unfortunately it can't be folded
- drive on city Consumes pretty much petrol esp in sg where there are lots of traffic lights.. So you could imagine a slow pick up then have to brake and stop again at almost every junction..
- cannot connect to my MP3 player and play from the song list.
- price - you are really paying a premium and betting on its reliability..You can get a decent 1.6L Korean sedan just by topping up a bit and it comes with much lots of fun features..

So it depends on your needs (and of cos, your Budget). If you just want a reliable point A to B car with perceived good reliability, and don't mind paying a premium, this is for you..

However, also beware that With more 'fun' features in a car, it may also means that replacement cost would be high as these often comes with a price and give you headaches after the warranty period expires esp those electronics/electrical features..

Flawed  Posted on 16 Mar 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

A really flawed car. Basic necessities are missing. Buying a car in Singapore is not like having a haircut then disliking what the barber did. You can move on to another the next month(provided you hair has grown).
Buying a car in Singapore is a long term punishment in many cases. It's not like you're billionaire , you don't like it , you give it to your maid to do the shopping.
Having driven a Suzuki Swift Sport for 10 years , you could say I'm biased.
Am I? Read on!

Only the Brand

The latest of many I have realized after having owned this car for a month.
The humble engine oil dipstick...yes, you read it right, the dipstick.
The dipstick is a major maintenance problem(kah motor had trouble reading it). For some strange reason it ends in blob of plastic where you read the level. Why Honda couldn't have a regular dipstick I would never know or accept. Does it save the world? Please tell me. In short it's a stupid dipstick. Reading it right is nigh on impossible. With the car running on ultra light oil it's even more frustrating.
It'll be at home in a 'little tikes' car.

The booby trap car  Posted on 23 Feb 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

More to come, I wrote this hoping to warn would be buyers. Please read your manual carefully especially the section on engine oil.

Only the brand

Folks , the Jazz 1.5 comes with 0W20 engine oil factory filled.
The User Manual states this in no uncertain terms. It says 0W20 for cars sold in Singapore and New Zealand. How many times have you read that in a car manual? The manufacturer actually naming the country. Unheard of , if you ask me.
Yet Kah motor uses 0W30 oil when you service your car there. It's probably(definitely) cheaper for them. For Honda to specify a certain oil and their 'chosen' representative to do something else is seriously wrong.
You've been warned.

MarkerPen
0 forum posts Joined on 28-Aug-2011
Decent car for the money but that's about it..  Posted on 07 Feb 2019
I will not recommend this vehicle to a friend

If you're looking at the PI Honda Fit 1.3 or KM Jazz 1.3, this is a no-brainer. Backed by official KM warranty and much better features overall, more than justifies the $2-3k premium IMO.

However if you're looking for a fun drive, you're better off looking at the Suzuki Swift, Kia Stonic as this car is purely a bread and butter mobile without any consideration for driving fun. The engine revs loudly when accelerating hard to change lanes and the CVT drone is annoying. You do get an excellent family car that is practical and relatively fuel saving but nothing else apart from that. This model has been on the market for 5 years and a replacement is due soon so keep that in mind when shopping around too.

Ultimately, it is one of the most affordable Japanese hatchbacks in the market which has proper dealer support. You won't go wrong choosing the Jazz 1.3 but just don't expect too much from the drive and you won't be disappointed.

- superb interior space
- magic seats
- feature packed interior compared to PI Fits
- proper dealer support with 5 yr warranty

mabubakar
0 forum posts Joined on 22-Sep-2016
Worth your 70k  Posted on 09 Jan 2019

I wanted to own a car before the age of 25 at the same time wanted to get a car from authorized dealer. Moreover, I had a strict budget of maximum 70k. Just nice, COE hit down to 25K and I made my first purchase with Kah Motors on Sep 2018 (Honda JAZZ 1.3).

One thing to expect from this car would be "Comfort".
One thing NOT to expect from this car would be "Power".

My best petrol consumption was 24km per liter (Constant drive on Highway)
My worst petrol consumption was 14km per liter (Morning drive to work with HEAVY traffic)

Comfortable maximum driving speed would be up to 140km/hr
After 140km/hr it would be abit shaky.

My average speed is 80km/hr and RPM is below 2000 Rev (Considered healthy driving without pushing the engine a lot) but definitely slow pick up, just to reduce heavy petrol consumption

I top up petrol between 31L to 33L (Before hitting EMPTY sign). It would cost be $60 with 14% Discount.

Comfortable steering with sound control, cruise control and phone call options.

One advise I would give to future car buyers would be to get this car if you are the type who just want to get from Point A to B and also to learn more about Car (Such as servicing and maintenance fee in SG)

I am enjoying every moment with this car, simple yet beautiful to drive.

Bluetooth Connection
Cruise Control
Petrol Consumption (Average 16km/L) 70% Road and 30% Highway
Fold able Seats
Leg space for driver and passengers is more than enough
Silent Engine

Lack of Power - Expected for a 1300cc engine
Have to use key (None keyless)
Security system (No sound when you lock and unlock)
1.3 rim looks boring

Nudgedoink
8 forum posts Joined on 20-Nov-2017
Bang for buck  Posted on 28 Dec 2018

Got the 1.3 Jazz when the COE first plunged to 25k. Received the car late Oct, so here is my 2-3 month review.

In the price range, the 1.3 is really value for money. Being my first car, one of my criteria was to get from an authorized dealer instead of PI. If you are more experienced with car purchases than me, you will have more options opened up to you for the same price.

Build quality is fine. Imo, the car comes with plenty of features for the cheapest in the Honda lineup. The most important for me was Bluetooth interface which it has. Even some other more expensive models don't come with this unless u get the higher trim level. Cruise control is meh, but steering wheel controls are definitely useful. I don't have to go into details on the features too much, you can read up on those yourselves.

There are small details that Honda thought about and added which surprised me on this budget car (not mentioned, but only found out after owning for awhile). If you tap the signal lightly, it will blink for 3 seconds and auto-off. None of the previous family cars that I had driven before had this feature. The HU also auto-dims when the headlights are turned on. The headlights also switch off automatically after a minute of so if you forget to switch them off after turning off the engine. The HU had an auto-adjust volume mode, when the car is driving at a higher speed, the volume of music can automatically be increased and decreased accordingly (able to set how sensitive this is or switch it off altogether).

The main question however is: is 1.3 powerful enough?
for normal driving, the car is adequately powered. Definitely no problem keeping up with traffic. However, for very spirited driving it is slightly lacking. I realise that there is a knack to how to manipulate the accelerator to get the car to accelerate better if you need to speed up quickly. That being said, my car seems to accelerate better after running in period. As a comparison, let's say you want to accelerate the same amount for a Toyota Wish/Mazda 5. You rev to 3.5k rpm. For this car to do the same, you will have to rev to 5.5k rpm. It can be done, but not as willing and you have to push the car harder.

- Features such as bluetooth, steering controls, paddle shift, etc. for the price
- HUGE interior for a small hatch. Nothing in its class can beat the interior space.
- Comfortable for tall drivers (1.85m, legroom for both front and rear is very sufficient)
- very quiet engine when idle and driving normally. I even thought the engine was off a couple of times when I just got the car.
- light steering wheel and throttle. I wanted a transport car, not a race car. Thus, comfortable and relaxing to drive.
- MAGIC SEATS! Can store a ton of stuff
- Fuel efficiency is decent at 14kml. cannot compare to hybrid.
- designed to be revved high so no fear of wearing out the engine
- reputation of being reliable without major faults even after many miles.
- price
- build quality is great for the price

- very simple, plasticky interior. Taobao and aliexpress can help to spruce this up
- small thin wheels. however, this may be necessary to not hinder acceleration from the small engine
- no LED lights in front and no DRL
- ugly stock spoiler
- road noise is ok on normal roads, but quite loud at highway speeds
- ugly stick antenna
- large plastic piece at bonnet area
- leather seats (i took SX version) are ok, but look abit plain. Will be nicer with some contrasting stitching or something

The most frustrating car I have not owned.  Posted on 15 Dec 2018

To most Singaporeans Honda can do no wrong.
It's perhaps the most desirable Jap Brand out there , Toyota notwithstanding. Other than that it's standard Japanese fare.....Or is it?

It's a Honda I suppose

Unbelievable.....
this car is decked out with 'almost' useless features eg. Cruise control! Really?
Do need it in Singapore? It got this crease that runs along the length of its side. Stupid styling. Matter of taste you might say.
Puny tyre/wheel set up. Keyhole on the drivers door ......come on folks it's the year 2018. This is perhaps the biggest styling boo boo. And because its a Honda Singaporeans will choose to stay blind.
No engine temperature gauge. For what? Nobody is going to look at it anyway. Cruise control vs engine temperature gauge, please, you tell me.
Here comes the BIGGIE.....it has a GDI engine. Folks, GDI engines have attendant short and long term problems. Did Honda tell you about this? Why would they? You are going to buy it regardless.
Remember, never trust a car or a insurance sales person.

Victorstwd
0 forum posts Joined on 26-Mar-2010
Quick pick up speed for zipping around town.  Posted on 13 Nov 2018

Lightweight. Fuel efficient. Versatile with foldable rear seats. Comfortable steering. Compact, easy to park and maneuvre tight spaces.

Seanliu
17 forum posts Joined on 09-Jan-2006
Fuel Consumption Update  Posted on 13 Dec 2016

I have posted the review on GK5 Jazz about years ago.

So i wish to share my opinion after 2 year ownership form different aspect. In between those day i have downsize from 16" Factory fitted rims to 15" Light weight forced rims and low rolling resistance tyre. (Indeed the original dunlop SP2030 also is the low rolling resistance tyre).

1. Maintenance cost
By AD, slightly high than outsize for different mileage but your warranty stay.

2. Fuel Consumption(long Term)
I have keep 1 trip meter to records and reset per 10,000km, the Avg. Fuel consumption is 16.5 km/l +/- , which is FREAKING good as compared to all car i drive before because i not drive gentle all the time.

For long distance travel from east side to Tuas at morning moderate traffic using cruise control between 80km+/- i would get 25km/L - 26km/L , this almost like hybrid vehicle.

For 50% City 50% Highway - i usually get 18km/L to 22km/L driving gently

For 80%-90% Heavy traffic jam, checkpoint for hour(s) i still able to get 12km/L to 14km/L

3. Space
Ok, i have carry the dinning table of 4ft using it, really can do the job, i believe Vezel or HRV can carry 5ft .

4. Powers
the best 0 -100 result after upgrade is 8.5 seconds with proper launching, this surprise me as i only downside the rims.

5. Comfort
Ok and so so, but compare to it's class 80 marks. Some A pillars decoration generate some tilting noise when car vibrate greatly. But this can be DIY fix and common for small car like this.

6. Handling
So so, but very easy to park.

In short, if you MAIN objective is to save fuel, run around town with reasonable comfort level, you can try this car as i think the value is really good even compare to hybrid which you need to churn out another 8k to 30k more to get equivalent offer. Even you drive hybrid, the fuel save per month(refill 4 to 5 times) is about $20 to $30, so over 10 year it is saving of 3 to 5k , unless the fuel price and fuel duty go crazily high.

- Engine noise was loud so it's suppress road noise.
- Nice and fast Acceleration after 50km/h.
- power on par with stock German 1.4 Turbo car.
- tight chassis close to Europe hatchback feel.

Initial CVT lag but actually still slight faster than normal AT on same cc.

Chrisgoh1984
Premium User Chrisgoh1984
11 forum posts Joined on 02-Feb-2012
Simple fun drive, compact yet spacious  Posted on 25 Oct 2016

Was previously driving a 2009 Citroen C4 and was looking to change into a Jap car because conti cars are expensive to maintain. Set my eyes upon the new Jazz and was surprise how spacious it is (Trust me, coming from an ex MPV driver point of view)

Just love how it zips through traffic with ease and the drive response overall is good. Though the suspension can be abit hard.

Nonetheless, I know that its a reliable car and I'm looking forward to drive it everyday.

- ease of driving
- fuel consumption
- spacious front and back seats
- rear seats are able to be kept to create more space for more things
- some people may not like the design but I love it.

- hard suspension
- cabin noise insulation can be improved.

alex976
Premium User alex976
436 forum posts Joined on 24-Dec-2013
Small Zippy Car  Posted on 05 Oct 2016

We were deciding on what 90K SGD car we can buy.

A few options were vezel, jazz and note.

Then we decided on the jazz. As people say, you cant go wrong like honda

1. handling much better than the 1st Gen jazz

Zambik
Premium User Zambik
333 forum posts Joined on 30-May-2006
Compact yet spacious!  Posted on 02 Oct 2016

Previously owned a compact Daihatsu Copen which served me well for 9.5 years, before this purchase of a new 1.5 RS Jazz. Was looking into a hatchback which would be powerful enough yet must be reliable. Honda Jazz immediately struck me as a well built car, as it has the best power to weight ratio amongst the Cat A models, and comparatively against the other Jap hatchbacks, it has very generous space. Rear passengers as tall as 1.9m would not feel claustrophobic as the tall Jazz accommodated the height of the passenger and the rear layout provided ample leg space. Parking is still an ease despite it being much bigger than my previous car.

After driving the car for a month, realised suspension can be a bit stiffer, the Jazz rolls quite a bit going into corners. CVT lag is also an issue, car feels a bit sluggish in responding to the pedal. Fuel consumption is excellent, I travel 70:30 city to highway, and have achieved 14.5km/L for this car. Overtaking cars is no problem even without engaging sports mode, car powers away easily after the initial CVT lag.

Car insulation is nearly non-existent, the car is very noisy especially when you rev beyond 3k rpm. Paintwork of the car is not the best, would advise owners to do paint protection.

USB port is not useful for Android owners who wish to charge their phones via the port, it only charges iPhones. Android owners have to use the 12v socket. Sound system is basic, but given the poor insulation, you would tend to turn up the volume to hear anything decent. HDMI aux in allows you to connect to the phone to view videos and maps on your phone, but the safety feature of the system spoils this, i.E. When you disengage the handbrake, the mirroring disconnects. Therefore, the workaround for the lack of GPS navigation maps on the audio system fails upon driving off.

Would have loved to have more features on this car given the price tag, e.G. Rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, and central locking. Otherwise, overall a very good car, but price wise can be a bit high with the yen appreciation.

- multiple colour options
- space
- keyless entry
- power to weight ratio
- excellent fuel consumption

- poor insulation
- CVT lag
- HDMI mirroring cuts off when disengaging handbrake

•  « Back ( 1 2 3 ) Next »