Related Articles

The Kia Stonic is an effective crossover

Kia introduces a new compact crossover

Eight best buys at the Singapore Motor Show 2019

Cat A premiums dip in first February bidding

Car Review - Kia Stonic 1.0T SX Sunroof (A)
07 Jan 2019  |  Kia Reviews
It may not be particularly exciting, but the new Kia Stonic effectively delivers everything that you expect from an affordable compact crossover.
   Consumer Reviews of Kia Stonic

3.5/5 Reliability
4.5/5 Interior Design
5/5 Engine Performance
4 out of 4 (100%) reviewers said they would recommend this vehicle to a friend.

Mach23
Premium User Mach23
266 forum posts Joined on 15-Mar-2009
A mini KIA that set the pulse racing  Posted on 10 Feb 2019

The new Stonic easily caught our attention with its bright and sporty colors (resembles the Audi Q2 Yellow and Red) in the showroom. It's crossover style and aesthetic overshadowed the Cerato and I sat in the test car the punchy engine and sharper handling left good first impression even while we are still in the driveway.

The high torque (from 1500rpm of its 1.0T engine) instill confidence while exiting filtering in the busy Alexandra Road. The engine note was pleasing to the ears more so than Nissan's 1.2T eg Qashqai. Keeping ahead of the pack at the traffic lights was easier than 1.6 naturally aspirated Cerato. With its 7-Speed DCT, the driving experience resembles 1.2T Golf promising fun without risk losing your licence. A very easy car to point and shoot as well as park with its electric hydraulic steering which felt sharper than Nissan qashqai and Ford Kuga.

- punchy 1.0T engine coupled with seamless DCT transmission
- lower road tax and better FC than Cerato
- faster acceleration than Cerato. Stonic does (0-100kmh) in about 10 Sec
- Low road tax
- Smart trunk
- Crossover ground clearance
- Silhouette and choice of colors
- roof rack and Sunroof options
- Appleplay and Android as standard
- DRL

- plasticky interior especially all door panels
- no rear aircon
- smallish trunk
- too small to seat 5 adults in the rear
- faux leather seats

mikk123
Premium User mikk123
114 forum posts Joined on 21-Jun-2015
A vezel killer  Posted on 30 Dec 2018

I went down to test drive the car EX mode on 29th Dec. It was placed right at the entrance of the showroom, guess it is the new baby in town. It looks good, no doubt. It looks sporty, young, makes you want to own it. After going through the exterior and interior, i requested the test drive. Oh...Boy, it didn't disappoint. It is only 1000cc but it has the power to move fast. I am driving a 1.6l japan model and stonic is the better one. Very tempted to book one, but my current ride has 4 years to go and decided to hold back. The best part is the price. A whole more than 10k cheaper than vezel. Yes, it is smaller at the back boot, but hey, most of the time our back boot is empty. The weekly visit to supermarket is good enough. It is quiet inside and has the solid feel of European car. To add the icing on the cake, it is from C&C with 10 years engine warranty.

1, the price, a good more than 10k cheaper than japan counterpart.
2, the look, it pleases the eyes.
3, the quality, it feels solid.
4, the drive, no lagging at all because of the turbo.
5, from the C&C, easy of mind.

not much really.

MarkerPen
0 forum posts Joined on 28-Aug-2011
My first new car! Fun to drive and funky to look at!  Posted on 23 Jan 2019

I had no intention of buying a new car as my COE car still had 4 years more to go. However, once I clapped eyes on the Stonic at the 2019 Motorshow, I was won over by its looks and feature-packed interior then when I saw the price, I was even more tempted. The next day, I went down to the Kia showroom at Alexandra and test drove the car. The drive was so much fun! Totally changed my perspective of Kia. I was grinning during the test drive! This car had real punch and darts around corners nicely. Overtaking is an ease on the expressways compared to regular 1.6L NA cars. Best of all, it is a FUN car to drive and will add some zest to your daily commute.

Before I made my decision, I compared similar models like the SEAT Ibiza, Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift but the Kia Stonic won me over with its looks, features and drive experience and not to mention the dealer support and warranty coverage from C&C. Plus, my wife love the looks of this car too! I booked my car the following week and I am super excited to collect it!

1. The funky crossover looks and functional interior
2. The attractive price for the number of features you get: 6 airbags, Hill Start Assist, Torque Vectoring, ESC, , Auto Headlight, Apple CarPlay
3. Fun to drive!

Rear seat space could be improved for carrying 3 passengers

DdCarReviewerSG
0 forum posts Joined on 13-Sep-2018
Cheap and good everyday car.  Posted on 15 Jan 2019

For those who visited the Car Show held at the Suntec City Convention Centre, you would have seen the amazing deals that Cycle Carriage can give. Was walking around near the Mini Cooper Booth and saw the price of the car from a distance. Was immediately drawn to the car. Went to see the base model as well as the sunroof model. For those who would like to purchase a Stonic, please purchase the sunroof edition. It is really worth the extra 2k.

Sporty Outlook
Strong Power Output for a small CC Car
DASHBOARD Cluster really shows the effort put in to design the car

The car is really cramped especially at the back.
The car may be well built and pleasing to the eye, however, the company's reliability is dubious.

Kia Stonic