Viewed : 13,721 times

Recommended Articles

The new Volkswagen Caddy arrives in Singapore for the first time, as a nicely furnished, seven-seating multi-purpose family car.

07 Oct 2016

Page 1 2 Show All

Ever since I was a kid, I've always had a strange liking for compact vans like the Volkswagen Caddy, the Fiat Doblo and the Renault Kangoo. Because they had the front end of a car and the cargo capacity of a van, I imagined them to be the perfect vehicle - I would sit in my uncles' and pretend I was a super sleuth, with the rear cargo space as my mobile spy lair.

My mum even used to term them as roti chias or 'bread cars' due to their resemblance to loaves of bread.

As I got older, my love for such versatile vehicles lived on. Only this time, in place of the rear cargo area as my detective's workspace, I imaged a fridge, Playstation and a couch - wouldn't that be the perfect roving man-cave?

It's available in two body sizes - this, and a Maxi, which is 470mm longer and has 1,000 litres more of cabin space

But enough of what I'd like to do in one of these things, let's talk about why Volkswagen Singapore has brought in the new Caddy as a Cat A, seven-seating multi-purpose car.

Extreme makeover

Configuring it as a car instead of a van is a long-popular choice in Europe and by doing so in Singapore, the German marque has diversified its people mover lineup, starting from the five-seater Sportsvan through to the similarly seven-seating Touran and Sharan.

The ultimatum, then, is to convince car buyers they aren't buying a van but a proper family car - a nicely furnished one in fact. But judging from what we were staring at, that won't be much of a problem.

Compared to before, the car is nip and tucked to become a whole lot sharper. The front end of the car is redesigned for more presence and dynamism, and is very much in line - in terms of facial features - to the rest of the company's models.

It gets even more convincing inside.

Bet you wouldn't know its the interior of a 'van' from this picture alone

Quality of the cabin materials is higher and more expensive than you'd expect. Typical high-level German finish is furnished, inclusive of an intuitive 6.33-inch infotainment system, ergonomical multi-function controls and seven comfy seats, encased in alcantara.

Page 1 2 Show All

Car Information

This model is no longer being sold by local distributors

Price