Viewed : 164,407 times

Recommended Articles

Unless its COE is renewed, a car in Singapore only lives for 10 years. Here's what you can do and how to go about doing it when your car ends its 10-year life.

Category: Car Ownership Advice

The harsh reality of car ownership in Singapore involves paying ridiculous prices for what we love, constantly looking over our shoulders for Land Transport Authority (LTA) enforcement officers, and around the roads for sneaky speed cameras.

But more unpleasantly, Singaporean car owners have to bear the brunt of the LTA's Certificate of Entitlement (COE) vehicle quota system, which forcibly and prematurely ends a car's life on our roads after 10 years, unless its COE is renewed.

If you are, like many others, bidding goodbye to your four-wheeled companion in the near future, here's a guide to help you through the tough time.

The sad fate of many Singaporean cars after their 10-year 'lease' is due

Engaging the services of a motor dealer

Dealers are able to assist you with the de-registration and disposal of your car. However, according to LTA's recommendations, it's best to approach the CaseTrust-SVTA accredited motor dealers to avoid any unnecessary problems in the process.

Another option is to use sgCarMart's Quotz service. When your car is due for de-registration, sgCarMart Quotz will help you source for quotations from over 100 scrapyards and direct vehicle exporters, simplifying the procedures for you as well.

Dealers like Lake View Credit are well-experienced enough to help you with the de-registration process

Do-It-Yourself options

Cars headed for de-registration can be sent to an LTA Appointed Scrapyard, where your car will be de-registered upon acceptance, stored temporarily at an LTA Appointed Export Processing Zone pending export, or exported out of Singapore. Proof of the de-registered car's disposal must then be sent to LTA, this can now be done online through the One.Motoring website.

To the scrappers

Since 26 November 2018, LTA has digitalised the vehicle deregistration process. It will potentially improve convenience by removing the need to submit physical documents to LTA.

For registered cars heading to an LTA-appointed scrapyard, owners must submit an online application by logging into the One.Motoring account with your SingPass or CorpPass.

Please also ensure that you bring along the completed de-registration form, original NRIC for Singaporeans, Singapore Permanent Residents and Malaysians, or passport for foreigners other than Malaysians, and road tax fees if the road tax is outstanding at the point of vehicle de-registration.
The car will then have to be scrapped at any of the aforementioned LTA-appointed scrapyards within the date stated in the online application. 

After applying to de-register your car, tow it to any LTA-appointed scrapyard and bring along the completed de-registration documents to support your identity. LTA will then notify the last registered owner of the de-registration, the details of any PARF and COE rebates, or arrears of road tax and late renewal fees if applicable.

De-registered cars left to die at an LTA-appointed scrapyard

Temporary storage pending export

The procedures for temporary storage of your car at an LTA Appointed Export Processing Zone are the same as sending it to an LTA-appointed scrapyard.

However, the car will have to be sent to an Export Processing Zones operator while awaiting export, within five calendar days of your online application. Cars can only be stored at Export Processing Zones for a period of 12 months from a car's de-registration date.

Exportation demise

To export the car, log in to One.Motoring via SingPass or CorpPass and use the function 'Upload disposal document' to upload export document within 1 month.

LTA, the giver of life and Reaper of souls for all things motoring-related in Singapore

The de-registration application has to be completed and submitted with the necessary disposal documents through the One.Motoring website. There will not be any submission of physical documents to LTA.

After all is said and done

After scrapping or exporting your car, be sure to find out if there are any unused portions of PARF and COE rebates to be granted. Owners who intend to retain their car's registration number must do so before or at the time of de-registration.

Penalties for failing to adhere to these procedures are extremely stiff and it is a serious offence to drive, use or keep a de-registered vehicle.

*This article was updated on 28 November 2018.
  • Email

You may also like

1-10 of 20