Related Categories

Features
4/5 Performance
Design
4/5 Price
29 out of 30 (96.7%) reviewers said they would recommend this product to a friend.

•  « Back ( 1 2 ) Next »
Dannnn
413 forum posts Joined on 25-Jun-2017
Techron D  Posted on 29 Jan 2018

Features 3/5 Performance 3/5

Renault Megane

Cute bottles, handle design. Initially thought will have problem pouring in my fuel tank as mine is the metal flap kind, was surprise able to do it without any issue.

Can feel that the engine is quieter, nothing much so far. To be honest Caltex diesel i always felt not so powerful compared to others, but it is definitely smooth.

Design
Its techron which makes engine clean!

Price maybe, as i dont feel any big effect thus not sure if worth to buy it for occasionally use.

cmmerc
Premium User cmmerc
36 forum posts Joined on 01-Feb-2017
Slight improvement in smoothness and FC  Posted on 29 Jan 2018

Mercedes-Benz E220

My 12 months old E220D @ 20K is relatively smooth. Hence there was no significant improvement in smoothness or noise. I do travel up north often, and had been using Euro 5 diesel there from various brands, some good, and some really terrible, with immediate effect of ride and noise. The techcron seems to level the field so I guess the effect is probably best with lower grade diesel fuel.

I use a benchmark round trip from north east area to the airport ( i do this regularly ) where at best I have ever clocked consistently was 3.5l/100 km. After Techcron, my best was 3.3l/100km, so there is an improvement in FC.

I just replaced the fuel filter during my 20K service, right after 1 full tank with Techcron, and the filter was relatively dirty. There were black patches on the filter. Maybe the Techcron did clean up my fuel system and deposited the muck on the filter. But I dont know since this is the first time I ever replaced the filter.

Filling it into the fuel tank was easy, even though my car has this device that seems to block the intake area except when the correct nozzle is inserted. I just go slow on pouring the Techcron in and it seems to go in with no fuss.

I will be benchmarking this with liqui moly diesel purge after another 10K and check out the differences.

Easy to use

Seems to be more expensive than the proven competitors. If it performs better then it's fair game. I dont know that yet.

sarathin
Premium User sarathin
51 forum posts Joined on 08-Apr-2016
Difference you can feel  Posted on 18 Jan 2018

Design 5/5 Price 3/5

Renault Fluence

The engine is a lot quieter on idle and acceleration is considerably smoother as well. And it doesn't end with one tank. The perception continues into my second fill-up. The FC is also more consistent, so it doesn't dip too much during start-stop traffic.

Application is a cinch - love the nozzle-like design which makes it easy to add every drop easily into the tank.

I mostly fill up at one of the non-Big-4 pumps, and adding this indeed gives a Techron D feel.

I would continue to use this every 3-4 fill-ups or so as it helps strike the right balance between economy and care for the engine.

Helps reduce and smoothen engine sound even while idle.
Easy to apply
Smoother acceleration
Can fill cheaper diesel without worrying about potential issues with engine

Nothing yet. Hopefully not too pricey.

Etnt
Premium User Etnt
1555 forum posts Joined on 17-Jun-2003
Smooth as silk  Posted on 18 Jan 2018

Design 5/5 Price 5/5

BMW 116i

This was used on a 116d. The engine is significantly quieter immediately after adding it to a full tank of diesel.

Acceleration appears to be smoother. FC remains the same.

The effects continue for another 2 tanks.

There's an offer now at Caltex stations for 50% Off the 2nd bottle till end Jan and I've stock up on another few more bottles.

Quieter engine and smoother acceleration

None

Apple-Tree
Premium User Apple-Tree
1365 forum posts Joined on 08-Mar-2016
Surprisingly Good - Improve Move off and FC  Posted on 15 Jan 2018

Design 5/5 Price 3/5

Kia Carens

For my Kia Carens 1.7L Diesel, moving off have been jerky, as the manual said DCT GB is like that one. So after using Techron D, it seems to have smoothen out abit, even into the second tank without the magic potion.

FC have improved from 7.5L/100km to 6.4L/100km.

ODO is 4307KM

Better FC.
Moving off is less jerky.

A bit expensive I heard.

alex976
Premium User alex976
378 forum posts Joined on 24-Dec-2013
Good for commercial vehicles  Posted on 13 Jan 2018

Mitsubishi L200

My colleague wanted to sent his L200 to clean his exhaust and flush the engine. Then he asked to try the techron D. So I passed him my bottle. After a few days he begin to experience better pick up and engine responsiveness.

It works

Price

alex976
Premium User alex976
378 forum posts Joined on 24-Dec-2013
As good as cleaning your exhaust  Posted on 12 Jan 2018

Mitsubishi L200

I was going to use it on my Dmax when my colleague at his L200 doesn't have much power. So we used the techron d on his vehicle. After 3 days, my colleague feedback that his vehicle is more responsive than before.

-it works

Price

SunsetSorento
Premium User SunsetSorento
37 forum posts Joined on 15-Jun-2016
It works!  Posted on 12 Jan 2018

Kia Sorento

I drive a 2016 Sorento which is about 1.5years old and clocked around 43,000km when i decided to give the Techron D plus (sample given by MCF) a try. I've always been skeptical about products like this as I've have tried some but only got negligible results at best.

The car drives really well and was last serviced at 40,000km. After topping up 70L of Esso fuel, imagine my pleasnt surprise! The diesel clatter was noticeable quieter and the power delivery was smoothe! Throttle response was marginally better as well. Most importantly FC inproved by 5-10%. Awesome! Kudous caltex!

Improved FC

4346 forum posts Joined on 07-Jun-2006
Techron D Concentrate Plus  Posted on 08 Jan 2018

Design 3/5 Price 1/5

Renault Megane

My Megane hatchback is about 1.5yrs old and didn't really notice any improvement in fuel consumption. However, the engine sounded relatively quieter and more refined after adding the product.

Quieter engine

Retail price is quite steep

Vinceng
Premium User Vinceng
NOS-ed
4037 forum posts Joined on 28-Aug-2007
Significant improvement in fuel consumption and engine refinement  Posted on 30 Dec 2017

Features 4/5 Performance 5/5
Design 1/5 Price 2/5

Kia Sorento

Immediate improvement in fuel consumption and the engine sounds more refined with less audible diesel clatter

- Design * rating is not applicable for this product

- Significant improvement in fuel economy
- Engine sounds more refined
- Engine is more willing to rev
- Less sluggish on a full load of 7 pax

The price - costly

K5G1
123 forum posts Joined on 26-Mar-2014
Too short a trial distance/period to tell  Posted on 26 Dec 2017

Features 3/5 Performance 4/5
Design 3/5 Price 3/5

Renault Megane

Driving a fairly new (2018/04) Renault Megane IV sedan 1.5DCi.

Didn't think the engine needs a performance enhancer but since I picked up the sample...

The sample was good for a tankful of fuel, and I did 675km up till time I write this.

No change in routines nor driving style over the trial. Usual mixed heavy-but-moving highway (pre-peak & peak) and stop-start city driving.

Used the car's computer to help track changes.

Start: Average Speed @ 29.1 km/h. FC @ 5.5L/100km.
End: Average Speed @ 29.3 km/h. FC @ 5.5L/100km.

Intangibles aside, the Techron D Concentrate seems to have allowed slightly higher average speed without increasing FC. Or.. A slightly improved FC??

Didn't feel that the car ran quieter nor "more powerful"... But I'm not a road racer, and remember the car/engine is quite new and the Megane Sedan has a relatively good cabin noise isolation.

Too early, and too short a trial distance/period to tell more.

Think worth a "recommend" for older engines.

Nothing stands out, really. I do like thinking that I managed to get around quicker without using more fuel.

Nothing I didn't like. The guy at the petrol station did, at first, have bit difficulty pouring the Techron D Concentrate into the tank... had to help him.

Ganwb79
143 forum posts Joined on 05-Jul-2016
Immediate impact after use  Posted on 23 Dec 2017

Design 4/5 Price 4/5

Renault Koleos

I used a bottle of this techron D on my last topup and happy to say that I see an immediate impact on my fuel consumption on this and the next tank. A modest 1-2 more km/litre but every bit helps! Been pumping at cheaper diesel options due to the steep price increase at the stations of the major fuel companies but always try to pump Caltex Techron at least once every few topups to clean my engine. With this product I would consider just using that instead.

Immediate improvement in fuel consumption

None

Jtis
Premium User Jtis
166 forum posts Joined on 14-Sep-2005
Probably good to use once in a while as preventive maintenance  Posted on 15 Dec 2017

Design 3/5 Price 4/5

BMW 535i

I tested this on a 535d with a full tank of diesel. The engine has always been quite refined but i thought it was just that tiny bit smoother with the Techron D added, although that could very well just be a placebo effect. My wife couldn't tell any difference at all though, both before and after i told her i added something to the diesel......

No discernable difference in power or acceleration to me. The fuel economy seemed to improve slightly, about 0.4km/litre on the trip computer after 500km but the improvement are perhaps too marginal to fully attribute to the product.

Although I think our local stations' diesel is probably considered good quality in general, this is an affordable product to use occasionally as preventive maintenance.

But here's the downside, I had some difficulty using the product. I don't know about other cars but mine has this metal flap at the fuel filler that cannot be forced open using the bottle sprout. I can't just use the diesel pump nozzle to open it, because it snaps shut as soon as i remove the nozzle. I had to spend a fair bit of time to slowly bit by bit feed the Techron D onto the metal flap and wait for it to seep past the flap into the tank. The vehicles waiting behind me were understandably very irritated with how long i took. An adaptor or a bottle sprout in that shape of the correct diesel pump nozzle size would be a definite improvement.

- Affordable preventable maintenance
- Potential fuel economy improvements

- Difficult to pour into fuel tank

Imac
Premium User Imac
717 forum posts Joined on 06-Jun-2005
Improvement Noted in 1st Bottle  Posted on 14 Dec 2017

Volvo V40

Thanks to MCF for providing this test sample for our 2 years old V40.

I added the Techron D into the fuel tank before filling up to full tank.

Can almost immediately notices the difference, the engine become more lively during acceralation and quieter during idea.

My average milage from FULL till 1/2 tank mark was about 500km, with the Techron D, milage increased more than 550km (about 10% Increase).

- Smooth StartUp.

0 forum posts Joined on 17-Aug-2015
Improvement in FC and Response  Posted on 20 Feb 2018

Design 4/5 Price 4/5

Volvo V40

Tried this on my 2015 Volvo V40 D2, with mileage of 40k. Almost using up this tank of diesel and FC I’M getting is about 0.6km/L higher than my usual. Felt throttle response is slightly better as well, with more eager and torquey engine. On the overall good, however not sure how long this cleaned injectors effect will last.

- Improvement in FC and throttle response.
- Easy to administer.